Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

whats wrong with able to craft cars?

waterwarfare203waterwarfare203 Member Posts: 10

I dont see the downside to be able to craft cars?

I mean in most mmorpg most crafting professions are restricted to crafting items potions, and end game gears?

Whats wrong with giving crafters more items and things to craft in game? I dont see the downside to this at all really. 

Am i missing something here? AA should be praised by the crafting commmunity mmorpg in general. AA has more flexibility and options for crafting community then any other current mmorpg. Isnt this a good thing?

Comments

• killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445

??

isnt archage set is a more medieval setting?

i am sure that in a ,more futureistic setting a car would be a good thing, but  if you are aiming to have any kind of immersion, you would want the craftables to reflect the game being played.

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    It's fantasy. World of Warcraft had vehicles like airplanes, motorcycles, and even subways and they all fit quite adequately with the game world. I don't see much of an issue here.
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    For some nothing, for some everything.......its like life everyone has THEIR view.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by TheJoda
    For some nothing, for some everything.......its like life everyone has THEIR view.

good answer and true.

The game came off as fantasy then when all this other stuff was seen  it was then revealed "oh no, it was never fantasy it's cyber punk". Really? I don't recall that at the start but "whatever".

Personally I think they did a great job with the assets as well as the game design but a lousy job integrating all these disparate time periods. For me it looks like a hodge podge of "throw in everything but the kitchen sink because it's fun!" items.

"So what's the problem Sovrath, game play rules over graphics?"

Well, because, for me, aesthetics are important. They actually have weight and meaning for me because "I'm just drawn that way".

So I think archeage looks great from a "hey you did it!" view point and for the people who can enjoy it, wish them luck, I'll follow it because I think it's worth knowing about but I'm not interested in playing it. The anachronisms scream just a bit to loudly for me.

As far as the WoW comment made, that is also one of the very same reasons I don't play WoW.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Sovrath

good answer and true.

The game came off as fantasy then when all this other stuff was seen  it was then revealed "oh no, it was never fantasy it's cyber punk". Really? I don't recall that at the start but "whatever".

Personally I think they did a great job with the assets as well as the game design but a lousy job integrating all these disparate time periods. For me it looks like a hodge podge of "throw in everything but the kitchen sink because it's fun!" items.

"So what's the problem Sovrath, game play rules over graphics?"

Well, because, for me, aesthetics are important. They actually have weight and meaning for me because "I'm just drawn that way".

So I think archeage looks great from a "hey you did it!" view point and for the people who can enjoy it, wish them luck, I'll follow it because I think it's worth knowing about but I'm not interested in playing it. The anachronisms scream just a bit to loudly for me.

As far as the WoW comment made, that is also one of the very same reasons I don't play WoW.

I agree - aesthetics are important.  The IP in this game lacks cohesion.  It appears they are cherry picking from a variety of times, which is off-putting to some, myself included.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Best answer!!! perfect

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Vroom! Vroom!

Race care Driving !

http://youtu.be/rG1gJ0xQ6CU

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Kumapon

Vroom! Vroom!

Race care Driving !

Wow!  Thats probably the dumbest thing I have seen in a long time!    A guy driving a car in a suit of armor???

Graphics look quite nice.    Such a shame they are wasted here.  It looks like the car is more of a mini game  though, as in it looks like it can only be driven on a course.  However if they allow you to drive these anywhere in the game,  Arch Age is gonna look like a WalMart parking lot!   All the kiddies are going to want one!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Vroom! Vroom!

Race care Driving !

Wow!  Thats probably the dumbest thing I have seen in a long time!    A guy driving a car in a suit of armor???

Graphics look quite nice.    Such a shame they are wasted here.  It looks like the car is more of a mini game  though, as in it looks like it can only be driven on a course.  However if they allow you to drive these anywhere in the game,  Arch Age is gonna look like a WalMart parking lot!   All the kiddies are going to want one!

I like the idea of cars in a fantasy game - nothing wrong with that. Heck, AA also has zeppelins flying around. But when I compare the zeppelins with the cars, the zeppelins are more steam-punk while the cars look more like modern day ones of our age. If they'd give the cars a bit more steam-punk I think they'd fit in more than they do now.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by stealthbr
    It's fantasy. World of Warcraft had vehicles like airplanes, motorcycles, and even subways and they all fit quite adequately with the game world. I don't see much of an issue here.

In Wow you could add craftable cars, yes. But Wows fantasy is some kind discworld styled comedy fantasy. As soon as you get it slightly more serious cars just don't work.

Cars also works in steampunk, clockworkpunk, cyberpunk, modern and sci-fi but in historical, low fantasy and most regular high fantasy they just don't have any place.

So if they fits the world, fine. But don't add them to a game set in Tolkiens middle earth or similar.

There are however other high fantasy mounts you could add to a high fantasy world. Flying carpets as example would fit in most high fantasy games. A mechanical (mecha if it wants to destroy Tokyo) horse would work in far more games than a car and so on.

If something fits the lore it should be craftable. But in a sandbox you should also be able to breed and train horses, griffons and similar animals and that should be done by crafters as well.

I don't really see cars work that well in AA personally. Wow and Warhemmer, fine but not AA.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I dont want them in this game because it doesn't fit with my idea of their fantasy setting. "Imma go chop this tree down with this here axe, load the logs into muh car and ride off to market with them." Just doesn't fit in my head. where the chainsaws at in that case, yanno?

Otherwise, no one cares about crafters crafting vehicles. If they can craft a horse n buggy or the glider things, more power to them.

Cars...just dont fit imo.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Vroom! Vroom!

Race care Driving !

Graphics look quite nice.    Such a shame they are wasted here.  It looks like the car is more of a mini game  though, as in it looks like it can only be driven on a course.  However if they allow you to drive these anywhere in the game,  Arch Age is gonna look like a WalMart parking lot!   All the kiddies are going to want one!

I like the idea of cars in a fantasy game - nothing wrong with that. Heck, AA also has zeppelins flying around. But when I compare the zeppelins with the cars, the zeppelins are more steam-punk while the cars look more like modern day ones of our age. If they'd give the cars a bit more steam-punk I think they'd fit in more than they do now.

Historicly speaking.. the 1st hotair balloon was already used in 220–280 , granted these where unmanned and used for militairy signaling in china, while the 1st (steam powered) vehicle/car didnt apear around 1672. It was a 65 cm-long scale-model toy for the Chinese Emperor  that was unable to carry a driver or a passenger. The first full-scale, self-propelled mechanical vehicle or automobile in about 1769; he created a steam-powered tricycle

The first manned balloon was used in  1783.

Neither would make too much sense though IMO hot-air balloon systems make more sense then cars

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511
    Originally posted by killahh

??

No. Archeage setting is the renaissance/discovery age. 

Being a fantasy, he can (like wow) have steampunks elements. I dont remember whines about wow technological stuff.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

People forget that fantasy has no set bounds, and in any particular alternate world or reality, such things could exists.  Relating to your own known world is not necessarily a reliable way to envision a fantasy world.

For instance, if you automatically think of oil and refined gasoline when you see cars, you may think .. hey this isn't fantasy!  But could it be magic .. or from mined unstable radioactive compounds .. or matter to energy having less of an activation threshhold .. or something yet to be discovered by our reality?  I'd be OK with any strange oddities in a fantasy game, as long as it is never explained to try to relate a fantasy game to real life known "modern" technology.

Just because it's not 100% Tolkien doesn't mean it can't be fantasy.  I mean, do people freak out when they see a house in a fantasy world with 4 sides, windows, a door, and a slanted roof? Uh, oh .. wait till they see the chimney and flowers out front :/

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by maccarthur2004
    Originally posted by killahh

??

No. Archeage setting is the renaissance/discovery age. 

Being a fantasy, he can (like wow) have steampunks elements. I dont remember whines about wow technological stuff.

Actually, I had a hard time taking WOW seriously because of the Gnomes and all their silly gadgetry, especially when cars, helicopters and what not started making appearances.  You want to fly, ride a gryphon or dragon dammit!

I do not enjoy mixing Sci Fi with fantasy, when Wizardry and Might and Magic started doing it with the introduction of robots and what not I didn't care for it, but I still played them because game play over lore is always the case.

Craftable cars are fine since this title has no familiar (to me) lore to break, and it was nice in Fallen Earth to craft vehicles.

If they fit this title, I say why not.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Karteli

People forget that fantasy has no set bounds, and in any particular alternate world or reality, such things could exists.  Relating to your own known world is not necessarily a reliable way to envision a fantasy world.

(clipped)

Just because it's not 100% Tolkien doesn't mean it can't be fantasy.  I mean, do people freak out when they see a house in a fantasy world with 4 sides, windows, a door, and a slanted roof? Uh, oh .. wait till they see the chimney and flowers out front :/

I'm going to rebut this a small bit.

You are essentially correct in that fantasy can be just about anything. The issue here is not that fantasy can be about anything but how the elements are mixed/added/introduced.

As soon as you you add actual real world items there are already going to be expectations as to what those are.

"bending" those items a bit is what makes their addition clever/ingenious.

So, the addition of something like this:

or this

is compelling because we clearly know what a horse is but the "bending" of the idea of a horse to something new and different becomes intriguing/compelling. I dare say that if one were to have a steampunk world then including something like the above would be a good thing.

One could have a fantasy world with steam powered vehicles (the archeage car is not steam powered if you listen to it) , sail power ships and warriors in some sort of armor (more on that) if they are designed to work together naturally and seem to fit. Or do the opposite and really bend the world like an "Otherland" http://otherland.gamigo.com/en/

But as soon as you take real world ships (I can't remember what time periodthe archeage ships are from though I did see a tugboat ) a 1930's/40's car, medievil armor and castles and mix them without truly making them seem from an era (or extreme as mentioned), they come off as thrown together.

If you just looked at the car and told someone that it came from a game and asked them, without knowing about the game, to tell you what they thought that game might comprise, I highly doubt that someone would say armored warriors and magic. Also, the addition of knights in armor, in a world with cars begs the question "what use is armor as there must surely be firearms" to make them obsolete. Yes, firearms were around for a while but any society that has the engineering to make a motor vehicle could probably figure out an accurate firearm to make armor obsolete.

WoW works (whether one likes it or not) because it's a highly stylized (and as was suggested) humorous world. taking extremely well done and accurate ships, armor, cars, juke boxes and throwing them together "could" work but it would have to go much farther in concept.

Of course one could make a "Well of Souls" world (Jack Chalker author) where some areas are high tech, some low tech, and some medium tech (steam) and those areas have their technology enforced (as the books) by the world itself (I highly recommend these books).

As I said, the Archeage assets are very well done but their inclusion alongside each other seems sloppy if not well thought out.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Magitech isn't exactly new to fantasy games but when they have you building Castles and Sail boats with canons, chopping down trees with an Axe, mining with a pick and shovel, then drop a race car with a 1940's design in there it does look out of place.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    To me, more crafting options are always good. MMO crafting is sooo boring these days.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

There is nothing wrong crafting cars in a MMO.

What is wrong is HAVING cars in a Fantasy/Medieval MMO.

For me that alone is enough to not play this game...........and if they have swimsuits in it, I am done.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

That is not true. The best fantasy authors will tell you that fantasy has to have a self-consistent reality, and within that reality there are boundaries. There are no cars in Middle Earth. In Harry Potter, you cannot raise the dead, create food out of thin air.  

Within each fantasy world, each element makes sense. Take steampunk for example. One is allowed to have mechanical devices as long as it can be tied in with steam power. A nanotech fly powered by solar panels would be out of place in a steampunk world.

As I mentioned in another thread...having cars makes no sense in AA...it defies consistency. If you have cars, what's the point of horses? If you have combustion engines, why not have tanks instead of catapults and trebuchet? And on top of that, why have walled castles? They're pointless (much like walled castles are nearly pointless in a magical world with teleporting and flying mounts.)

The introduction of this modern elements ruins the internal consistency.  It's basic aesthetics that they are throwing out the window.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I hope that I can craft a MacBook Air so that I can order things from the in-game EBay.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Drakephire

That is not true. The best fantasy authors will tell you that fantasy has to have a self-consistent reality, and within that reality there are boundaries. There are no cars in Middle Earth. In Harry Potter, you cannot raise the dead, create food out of thin air.  

Within each fantasy world, each element makes sense. Take steampunk for example. One is allowed to have mechanical devices as long as it can be tied in with steam power. A nanotech fly powered by solar panels would be out of place in a steampunk world.

As I mentioned in another thread...having cars makes no sense in AA...it defies consistency. If you have cars, what's the point of horses? If you have combustion engines, why not have tanks instead of catapults and trebuchet? And on top of that, why have walled castles? They're pointless (much like walled castles are nearly pointless in a magical world with teleporting and flying mounts.)

The introduction of this modern elements ruins the internal consistency.  It's basic aesthetics that they are throwing out the window.

The cars are driven via magic.  Beyond that you are only speculating about the lore of ArcheAge, and trying to relate it to what you know .. which isn't a good way to achieve immersion in a new fantasy world.  How or who controls the cars, is a mystery at the moment.

We don't know enough about the lore, but I learned from the Korean's that the cars are controlled by magic, not chemicals.  Trion will provide a translation in due time.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• LlexXLlexX Member UncommonPosts: 200

"If you have cars, what's the point of horses?"

Just an example, take a look at the beginning of the 19th century, the rich people could afford to drive cars while the normal people were riding horses, there is nothing wrong with both being present in the same content.

Just for the note, there are tanks in AA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM7LU1N4taA

About the castle walls, they are pointless ingame now, since you can use the glider to fly through or the Yata to jump through and a number of other ways to bypass them... So yea, they are now serve only as aesthetics...

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378

The cars are driven via magic.

It does not matter what drives the cars. Their existence should have consequences that make sense.

It takes one to know one.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by LlexX

"If you have cars, what's the point of horses?"

Just an example, take a look at the beginning of the 19th century, the rich people could afford to drive cars while the normal people were riding horses, there is nothing wrong with both being present in the same content.

The military are not using the technology either. Perhaps they do not like winning. Personally, I expect that as soon as war is waged with all available technology (that would allow for automobiles) you no longer attack castles on horse back. Automobiles are an inconsistency in AA and break immersion to some extend. Hard to ignore and irritating as hell.

It takes one to know one.