Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV: ARR is the MMORPG of this year

123457»

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    WoW was better than XI yet XIV is better than XI. That's just my opinion, we all have them.

• LrdEtriusLrdEtrius Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Originally posted by Mr_Mechanical

Played FFXI

- loved it.   Passionately.   

Played FFXIV 1.0  

- Hated it, regrettably. 

Played FFXIV: ARR 

- Loved it, upgraded my 1.0 account to the ARR Pre-order.   

Don't see anything else on the 2013 list that's even close to this kind of experience, but, that's my bias outlook obviously.  

What I think in terms of "MMORPG of the YEAR" ?     Who cares?

As the OP mentioned, each year there's practically 1 "BIG DAWG" that gets all the hype and box sales, and then by the next year it's "Meh..." and on to the next "MMORPG of the YEAR" ---   All of these games ultimately suck anyways.  (my opinion of course).  None of them have lasting power.  None of them keep their own communities interested enough to not have to jump to the next mmorpg-of-the-year.       I don't feel FFXIV: ARR should be a part of this.

If at all like FFXI in it's 'lasting power' this game will be far more than just another GOTY.

I agree with you in this "MMORPG of the Year" thing, none of the recent releases caught my attention, yet i'm playing Allods while I wait for XIV... LOL

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Statements like this always crack me up.  It's the game of the year!  Really.  Nobody has played the live game, it hasn't even been released yet, and no idea what the competition is really like...but yeah...it's THE game.

I think it'll be a tossup between FF XIV and EQNext if EQN also releases this year, and for me, it'll come down to whichever game deviates the most from the solo ez mode lameness and utterly uselss PvP minigames that embody most weak MMOs that've come out since WoW.

I don't love everything old school but I would like to see a return to more grouping, less solo, less utterly stupidly easy content, and a game design that can yield years of hook instead of 3-6 months then done.

I'm also sick of F2P and consider it to be by far the worst thing that happened to the MMORPG genre.  It is a disaster for any player that gives a crap.  It's almost like there are 2 MMO audiences now.  Real MMO players that want a deep and ongoing game and confused single player gamers who want to solo and sort of play a game whenever.

I want to see a game designed for what I call "real" MMORPG players - people who want to group, play for years, stick with a good game, etc.  As far as I'm concerned, players who don't want this style can just not play.  Years of MMO devs trying to cater to these types of players has led to a bunch of WoW clones that have failed to fully deliver.  It's time to say, play the genre the right way or do something else instead of saying lets bend the genre to try to appeal to everyone.

The fact that FF XIV is going to have a sub is a good sign for it, since F2P is utter trash.  If EQN launches as F2P it will never be comprable to the old school games it claims to be revisiting.

TESO looks like it'll be a suckfest.  A weak version of Skyrim, online, and lacking most regular features of MMOs.  Take one of the strongest and best PvE franchises of gaming history...and turn it into a PvP game.  Makes sense.  Or not.  The design philosophies involved in this game boggle the mind.  Some kind of multiplayer skyrim variant (served minecraft/cube world style) would be incredible.  An online version of weak skyrim that lacks most basic MMORPG features?  What's the point?

I don't consider GW2 to be a good MMO.  It's a single player online game.  GW2 got a lot of hype and if you're the type who prefers to solo and not give a crap about a game, then GW2 is for you.  The best more pure and true MMOs from last year were TSW and TERA.  TSW released too close to the GW2 hyped up behemoth and suffered for it but it's a really excellent game, despite funcom's ineptness and mismanagement.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• KorzeamKorzeam Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Voqar

I think it'll be a tossup between FF XIV and EQNext if EQN also releases this year,

Everquest Next released this year ?

Lol no, it has just been announced, the release will be probably in 2015 or 2016.

And how can you be excited about a game that we know nothing?

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Korzeam

I think it'll be a tossup between FF XIV and EQNext if EQN also releases this year,

Lol no, it has just been announced, the release will be probably in 2015 or 2016.

They said it's in a near release state, that it's playable.

Not that I'm buying into the hype, but it'll probably launch soon.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by Korzeam

They said it's in a near release state, that it's playable.

Not that I'm buying into the hype, but it'll probably launch soon.

2014 is the nearest release date for EverQuest Next. I remember when they said that SW:TOR would get released in 2009 and in reality it was a 2011 release date, dammmmmmmmmmmm, seems so long ago, was it?

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Syno23

2014 is the nearest release date for EverQuest Next. I remember when they said that SW:TOR would get released in 2009 and in reality it was a 2011 release date, dammmmmmmmmmmm, seems so long ago, was it?

They are on record that the game will be release 'in a playable state (that's not a beta)' this year. Given how little time there is left in the year, that doesn't leave them with a huge window to run into unexpected delays that would cause a release date shift. Anyway, we'll know better tomorrow.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by Syno23

They are on record that the game will be release 'in a playable state (that's not a beta)' this year. Given how little time there is left in the year, that doesn't leave them with a huge window to run into unexpected delays that would cause a release date shift. Anyway, we'll know better tomorrow.

They aren't having a beta of any sort?  Well guess we should expect another horrible launch of a game.

• KirkisKirkis Member UncommonPosts: 19
    They are holding a beta, right now Phase 3 Ended and Phase 4 will be starting soon enough, just waiting on information from when Phase 4 will start.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Kirkis
    They are holding a beta, right now Phase 3 Ended and Phase 4 will be starting soon enough, just waiting on information from when Phase 4 will start.

If you read the quotes you would know I was talking about EQN.

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223

http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_BETA_Roadmap_EN.pdf  There it is in black and white. So after 1-2 weeks of debugging phase 3, phase 4 begins for 1--2 weeks.

So when they are done debugging phase 3 they will start phase 4.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by NagelRitter
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

It's funny, I too, had stayed subbed to Rift, bought SL and quit. Too bad, that XPAC had so much potential, it just felt dead and I couldn't put my finger on why.

For me, the zone design of SL killed it for me. I hated the new questing format and carnages, and the zones themselves were bland and boring.

It also doesn't help that the game has very little decent-looking armor. I've been wearing the same set of mostly iron armor + tabard for like 30 levels straight...

But what people don't realize, Rift wasn't a bad game. Up until SL, it was a better WoW clone than WoW ittself.
    Well, I can't personally agree with that. I still find Vanilla WoW superior overall. Rift has a few things that are better but it fails as a whole.

OK, I wasn't clear. When I say WoW is a bad clone of it self, I am referring to ti's divergence from it's original successful formula from Vanilla and TBC. WoW really started to change and persue the same things all the clones did starting with Wrath. That's why I say WoW is a bad WoW clone. It's current state is so far away from it's original state, I don't even consider it the same game anymore.

• KesinKesin Member UncommonPosts: 25
    After watching the EQNext reveal.  I think it is safe to say that FFXIV:ARR will be the MMO of the year.
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Kesin
    After watching the EQNext reveal.  I think it is safe to say that FFXIV:ARR will be the MMO of the year.

Ummm no.  There is no way in hell this website would give FFXIV an award for anything that isn't a jab (like "most improved which isn't saying much".

FFXIV is the antithesis of everything Bill Murphy and the editors/main contributors of this website stand for.  My guess is they will give it to EQ Next or cancel their yearly awards claiming "nothing of worth came out".

The main AAA competition for FFXIV this year is/was Neverwinter.  It is everything this website's staff stands for the most.

-Cash Shop

-Limited Hotbar

-Player generated content

-Limited Character progression (mainly at endgame)

It is the future of MMORPG's just like EQ Next is.  There is simply no way I see them giving any praise to FFXIV which flies in the face of all their claims that the genre has moved away from tab target, subscription based, character progression, grouping/community focused, RPG style games.

So if they do end up having awards and they don't go all E3 and just award it to EQ Next anyways despite it not launching (maybe they will give it to the world builder tool they are releasing), they will probably award it to Neverwinter despite it being a total flop and dropping off of most people's watch list after it was revealed just how abusive its cash shop really is.

Face it FFXIV might get a 7, and that is IF they have Ryahl or Grommick (can't remember his name) that actually seem to play the game review it.  However it might be reviewed by Bill Murphy, Suzie Ford, Adam Tingle or another person who I'd expect to rate it a 5 or under (below Neverwinter).  Either way it won't be enough for them to have to admit it is a good game, and at the end of the year expect it to get panned, dismissed, or otherwise insulted in the end of the year columns as they gush about the cash shop centric, stripped down, hybrid "action", player generated future of MMO (used to be RPG's).

• simulacrasimulacra Member CommonPosts: 93

Same here. EQnext looks horrible

• XarusXarus Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Murugan

Ummm no.  There is no way in hell this website would give FFXIV an award for anything that isn't a jab (like "most improved which isn't saying much".

FFXIV is the antithesis of everything Bill Murphy and the editors/main contributors of this website stand for.  My guess is they will give it to EQ Next or cancel their yearly awards claiming "nothing of worth came out".

The main AAA competition for FFXIV this year is/was Neverwinter.  It is everything this website's staff stands for the most.

-Cash Shop

-Limited Hotbar

-Player generated content

-Limited Character progression (mainly at endgame)

It is the future of MMORPG's just like EQ Next is.  There is simply no way I see them giving any praise to FFXIV which flies in the face of all their claims that the genre has moved away from tab target, subscription based, character progression, grouping/community focused, RPG style games.

So if they do end up having awards and they don't go all E3 and just award it to EQ Next anyways despite it not launching (maybe they will give it to the world builder tool they are releasing), they will probably award it to Neverwinter despite it being a total flop and dropping off of most people's watch list after it was revealed just how abusive its cash shop really is.

Face it FFXIV might get a 7, and that is IF they have Ryahl or Grommick (can't remember his name) that actually seem to play the game review it.  However it might be reviewed by Bill Murphy, Suzie Ford, Adam Tingle or another person who I'd expect to rate it a 5 or under (below Neverwinter).  Either way it won't be enough for them to have to admit it is a good game, and at the end of the year expect it to get panned, dismissed, or otherwise insulted in the end of the year columns as they gush about the cash shop centric, stripped down, hybrid "action", player generated future of MMO (used to be RPG's).

+1 Excellent post, Unfortunately it makes me sad to read it. I agree with everything you said but I have to say after watching the EQ Next Tech Demos (There was no actual gameplay) it would appear that FFXIV RR is definitely the game of the year. I do not think the writers/editors will allow it to happen but I do miss the days when people actually wanted to work for in game items and we weren't constantly being reminded that there are new foodie skins or a new character skins pack at the Cash Shop that I wish wasn't in the game in the first place.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    EQN is not coming out this year anyway.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by NagelRitter
    EQN is not coming out this year anyway.

exactly not this year