Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: Price Break to $9.99

13»

Comments

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Luckily, I managed to waste 100$ on this piece of shtako :(

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Paid $30 dollars for it and have got that much enjoyments worth and more, don't regret the purchase in the least.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by sudo
    Luckily, I managed to waste 100$ on this piece of shtako :(

i know the feeling i used to be a collector of sorts of game boxes. but once i quit that i couldn't seem to find a good reason to not wait for price drops on most games.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    i was thinking about getting this but firefall caught my attention and i like games where you need to craft the piss out of everything.  if i get bored of firefall i'll give it  a whack i'm sure.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I was unable to install and play offered trial. Their support tried with many suggestions but to no end. Simply as some point of updating client would crash and all was reset. After 1 week of various suggestions I gived up. And for sure now I'm not investing not even 1€ as nothing would not change. Not sure however if many had this problem, on my computer I can download, install, update, ... dozens and dozens of other MMO's. Sorry, I really wanted to try and eventually sub.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Looks like Defiance's Cash Shop sales are not delivering the desired income and/or it's not retaining players. Truth is, the CS is so optional that nobody probably spends a cent in it...

It's a pity really, the TV series and MMO link-up was a novel idea. However, it flopped as a "feature" because the link was very superficial.

Perhaps the next attempt will be more successful, but I doubt we'll be seeing it soon.

Maybe this is a better way to go at the TV/Game tie in?

http://remedygames.com/quantum-break-announced/

Looking like a modern version of C&C.

Quantum is exclusive to xbox one, no one I know will touch that console when the PS4 hands down is the better box.  Especially when you look at what you have to do with all the Microsoft restrictions.  CCP could not even work out a deal to get their console game on their service.  Has to tell you that dealing with them is a real pain in the butt.

Whats that little rant got to do with my post? And I think the Xbox One is hands down the better console so I pre-ordered one and all my mates cannot wait to get their hands on a new Remedy game, we could be at this all night if you want. 

Got mine preordered also. Those restrictions are gone btw. Looking forward to Gamescon to see more of Quantum Break.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

There is a simple reason for this.

1. Comparing Trions Titles Both Rift & Defiance, both are Truly Free games compared to NCsoft with very limited customization even for paying consumers. In rift for example you can pay in game gold to change your characters appearance only thing that pisses me off was the transformation of weapons when I was mislead which Rift finally refund the points after about a week and fixed the descriptions.

2. The reason for the price drop on defiance is simple, The game is going by the movie, and being created/designed to follow a movie/series so basically what they are doing is selling the game cheaply for multiple reasons.

a. They can get more players.

b. The origional content of the game has already been played by many and a person can complete the entire game in 2 weeks being they play more than 8 hours a day, plus season one is already over with they are making season two.

c. The game being sold doesn't include new content, which is sold for $34 I think in the cash shop for season pass or buy additional packs as it comes in, so this will be unplayable expansions until bought I believe.

d. Most consumers wanting to enjoy the game have to spend at least $20  for bag spaces if they want a massive collection of lewts without having to worry about weapon slots and looted items. (This is if you are like me you have like 100+ Slots in your bag.

Server Costs, by all means are not that expensive consider the fact that.

a. The game runs off instances sorta, this means that less power is required aka no need for a lot of servers just to stick players there for ark falls and such.

b. The servers do not cost a lot to run, heck you can rent a server for $300 a month on the internet, but we are talking about Trion/Syfy that can afford to do a TV series more than enough money + Profits from cash shop.

So yeah they stand to gain quite a bit from making the game for sell at a less cost, even if its $9.99 this can be a lot if a lot of people buy it 10 people is already $100, and when it goes back at regular price if it does unless they decide to make it totally free.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Renoaku

1. Comparing Trions Titles Both Rift & Defiance, both are Truly Free games compared to NCsoft with very limited customization even for paying consumers. In rift for example you can pay in game gold to change your characters appearance only thing that pisses me off was the transformation of weapons when I was mislead which Rift finally refund the points after about a week and fixed the descriptions.

2. The reason for the price drop on defiance is simple, The game is going by the movie, and being created/designed to follow a movie/series so basically what they are doing is selling the game cheaply for multiple reasons.

a. They can get more players.

b. The origional content of the game has already been played by many and a person can complete the entire game in 2 weeks being they play more than 8 hours a day, plus season one is already over with they are making season two.

c. The game being sold doesn't include new content, which is sold for $34 I think in the cash shop for season pass or buy additional packs as it comes in, so this will be unplayable expansions until bought I believe.

d. Most consumers wanting to enjoy the game have to spend at least $20  for bag spaces if they want a massive collection of lewts without having to worry about weapon slots and looted items. (This is if you are like me you have like 100+ Slots in your bag.

Server Costs, by all means are not that expensive consider the fact that.

a. The game runs off instances sorta, this means that less power is required aka no need for a lot of servers just to stick players there for ark falls and such.

b. The servers do not cost a lot to run, heck you can rent a server for $300 a month on the internet, but we are talking about Trion/Syfy that can afford to do a TV series more than enough money + Profits from cash shop.

So yeah they stand to gain quite a bit from making the game for sell at a less cost, even if its $9.99 this can be a lot if a lot of people buy it 10 people is already $100, and when it goes back at regular price if it does unless they decide to make it totally free.

NC Soft games are free to download. You get all content for free because they don't restrict anything. You get all updates / expansiosn for free. There is no better Free To Play method better then NC Soft's. I have no idea what you mean by pay customers because there is no pay option with there truly free games. They are Truly Free.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by Renoaku

Yes, there are probably not enough active players left to buy their (until now still vapoware) DLCs, which were supposed to be a main source to keep money flowing -next to the cash shop.

Everyone who gets lured into buying the game at 9,99 is a potential customer for a season pass and may be a lifesaver of the game, even if no crystal ball can tell when they will actually deliver 5 DLCs.

Give it say 4 more month and Trion will hand out the game for free. They run the exact same strategy like they did with Rift.

Pro tip: Delivering a product which is actually worth playing and not floating belly up after 6 month would help..plus it would help their marketing team from constantly having to work overtime 3 month after every of their title's release.

• TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411

Part of the problem is peoples jaws dropped when they were told season 2 of Defiance doesn't start until June 2014. People playing the game for the tie-in aspect aren't going to play for that long without some sort of input from the TV side for a whole year.

SYFY now falls on its face again. Maybe they should invest in Sharknado 2...

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Paid 5$ for PS3 version - if it last me till FFXIV OB starts, I'll be happy.
  • CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Looks like Defiance's Cash Shop sales are not delivering the desired income and/or it's not retaining players. Truth is, the CS is so optional that nobody probably spends a cent in it...

It's a pity really, the TV series and MMO link-up was a novel idea. However, it flopped as a "feature" because the link was very superficial.

Perhaps the next attempt will be more successful, but I doubt we'll be seeing it soon.

Maybe this is a better way to go at the TV/Game tie in?

http://remedygames.com/quantum-break-announced/

Looking like a modern version of C&C.

Quantum is exclusive to xbox one, no one I know will touch that console when the PS4 hands down is the better box.  Especially when you look at what you have to do with all the Microsoft restrictions.  CCP could not even work out a deal to get their console game on their service.  Has to tell you that dealing with them is a real pain in the butt.

Whats that little rant got to do with my post? And I think the Xbox One is hands down the better console so I pre-ordered one and all my mates cannot wait to get their hands on a new Remedy game, we could be at this all night if you want. 

Got mine preordered also. Those restrictions are gone btw. Looking forward to Gamescon to see more of Quantum Break.

Yeah, me too, loved Alan Wake. Remedy are a very  interesting game developer.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ValkyrieValkyrie Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by snoop101

So the question is for people like me who have not played it, is it worth the $9.99? 

Is there enough of a game to keep you going or does boredom hit fast?

I would say it is worth it clearly. I bought the Deluxe edition (+5 inventory slots) few days back on the Steam summer sale after doing the 3 day trial (on PC) ... and I'm not a shooter player usually.
     Yup it is annoying that the price dropped like this a few days later and now I would just buy the standard edition and 15+ slot addition in the cash shop. But Besides being a bit pissed about the sudden sale - pricedrop - cheaper thing: I don't regret it at all.

Look at it that way: I've played already at least 40 hours and the main and episode missions are very well done, pretty RPG style. The weapons system is quite addictive though you'll need to google and read a bit, there are tons of types, stats and mods for them. Even for the $40 I paid for the deluxe version on steam: a game for that money that gives me that much time I enjoy and I can keep playing and still do? Well worth it. $10 even? Kidding? ;)

Played: Pretty much any fantasy MMO, some did not even make it to release ...
    Favorites: UO, EQ2, Vanguard, Wurm Online, Salem, ESO, Creativerse
    Playing: ESO, Creativerse, Guild Wars 2
    Anticipating: (sigh) ... maybe Ashes of Creation

• ValkyrieValkyrie Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by TheOctagon

Part of the problem is peoples jaws dropped when they were told season 2 of Defiance doesn't start until June 2014. People playing the game for the tie-in aspect aren't going to play for that long without some sort of input from the TV side for a whole year.

SYFY now falls on its face again. Maybe they should invest in Sharknado 2...

One is the season, one is the DLC, those are two things, they are still planing to have 5 DLC per year. The first DLC will be released next month finally, had to fix technical problems first (lots of patching problems, PC runs smooth now though, consoles will get the patching ironed out with the DLC according to the producer letter). Brings free content everyone will get and content that only people who buy the DLC will get. Season pass for the next 5 DLC is on steam for $30.

And I'm not sure about these doom sayers, at least the NA PC servers are so full I was in waiting line today briefly when logging in (1pm PST). So in my opinion the summer sale and price drop helped a lot. And if I had not hit EGO 500 by now with the second inventory unlock, I would consider buying more slots from the cash shop. But by now I have a list with the weapons of each type I want and the mods I'm looking for for these, so I can salvage loot quickly now.

Played: Pretty much any fantasy MMO, some did not even make it to release ...
    Favorites: UO, EQ2, Vanguard, Wurm Online, Salem, ESO, Creativerse
    Playing: ESO, Creativerse, Guild Wars 2
    Anticipating: (sigh) ... maybe Ashes of Creation

• Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90
    This makes me sick seeing how I pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe Edition only to be disappointed. I wouldn't even pay $10 for this game after what I've experienced.