Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the leveling speed like

tabindextabindex Member UncommonPosts: 70

I'm curious to try the game and it will be my first time in FF.  What's the leveling speed like?  Assuming a pretty heavy amount of time playing.  What's the guess in amount of time to open a hero class job.  I understand to unlock a job that means 30 in one class and 15 in a second.  Is this like one week of hardcoring it?  One month?  Three months?  Hopefully the longer the better, but I'm assuming it's fast?

Comments

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

I would have to say if you're hardcore'ing it....two weeks tops.  Best example I can give is that people participating in the beta such as myself had a collective time to play of about a week and a half.  This was over the course of weekends for the most part, so not everyone was able to play at all times during the tests (people work on weekends, etc).  The average level of someone who hopped into that phase of beta at the begining was between 25 and 32.

Keep in mind though, the main storyline quests give a buttload of xp for completing them...and those stop at level 20.  So those people went the extra mile to explore as much as they could.  Wanting to do the higher level dungeons that were available, the guildhests, FATEs, etc.  These are the people I would consider to have been "Hardcoreing it".

Edit: Forgot to mention.....

That seems pretty quick to most people....but remember, in ffxi you could be out of the dunes in a day if you were lucky enough to get a good group.

Same goes for quifm.

• tabindextabindex Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Thanks, that's a good response.  Gives me the sense of timing that I was curious about.  Hopefully the term hardcoring it didn't come off as sounding like some schmuck.  I just meant that usually games are really so very fun especially when they're new and I often play a ton. :D
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by Kajidourden

I would have to say if you're hardcore'ing it....two weeks tops. 

Are we talking just to cap 50 in your first job or to have a 50 plus all the abilities from other classes you can get (at least the most useful ones)?

I'd say up to 2 weeks of hardcore play for the latter - maybe a week or just over for the former tops - once all the content is available.

Originally posted by tabindex
    Thanks, that's a good response.  Gives me the sense of timing that I was curious about.  Hopefully the term hardcoring it didn't come off as sounding like some schmuck.  I just meant that usually games are really so very fun especially when they're new and I often play a ton. :D

Something I neglected to mention in my initial post: The main storyline quests stopped at 20 during the beta because that was what was available.  There will be main storyline quests all the way up to 50 eventually (I would say at release, but nothing is ever %100 until its on the table).

But yeah, when i first played it I was kinda thinking to myself "Wow, this is really fast" until I put it in perspective in regards to ffxi.

Originally posted by twrule

Are we talking just to cap 50 in your first job or to have a 50 plus all the abilities from other classes you can get (at least the most useful ones)?

I'd say up to 2 weeks of hardcore play for the latter - maybe a week or just over for the former tops - once all the content is available.

I believe his question was directed towards getting one class to 30 and another to 15.  Hitting that point where you can unlock a job.

I was also basing everything off of beta players.  With all the content readily available it very well may be faster, but I was trying to stay withing the realm of what we've seen and avoid speculation...although your estimate is probably not far from the mark.

edit:  Also have to factor in the "new player" variable where someone may or may not know anything about the game whatsoever.  Taking everything in and exploring all the different systems can be time consuming.  

A brand new player might for example see crafting/gathering and decide to just dabble a bit to see what it's like, or play around with the materia system, etc.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Perhaps the level ratio in betas is inflated for testing purposes and will be reduced for open beta/release? I hope so. I don't like much the lightning leveling of nowadays games.
    Originally posted by Juaks
    Perhaps the level ratio in betas is inflated for testing purposes and will be reduced for open beta/release? I hope so. I don't like much the lightning leveling of nowadays games.

It takes a fairly decent amount of time (especially for a brand new guy) to level up.  It is't that quests give such small amounts of xp, more that (especially the main story quests) take time to complete.  The most difficult ones are often your class quests, as they are geared towards you learning mechanics, and youll probably wipe a couple of times.

For instance.  My wife was playing a GLD in the beta and the level 15 quest involved keeping herself and an NPC alive while being ambushed by multiple lancers.  So essentially crown control training.  On top of that...the stronger of the NPC enemies would use a very powerful weapon skill that if you got hit by it every time...would result in failure every single time.  So you have to watch for the signs that he was charging up that weaponskill and gtfo of the way.  The friendly NPC that's with you will even tell you (in a very rude manner, which is comical actually) to move.  Something along the lines of "Try dodging his spear instead of throwing yourself on it".

• raas1337raas1337 Member Posts: 39

Keep in mind though, the main storyline quests give a buttload of xp for completing them...and those stop at level 20. 

False info, it was only limited in beta to lvl 20. Main story goes up until 50 and above that.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by twrule

I believe his question was directed towards getting one class to 30 and another to 15.  Hitting that point where you can unlock a job.

I was also basing everything off of beta players.  With all the content readily available it very well may be faster, but I was trying to stay withing the realm of what we've seen and avoid speculation...although your estimate is probably not far from the mark.

edit:  Also have to factor in the "new player" variable where someone may or may not know anything about the game whatsoever.  Taking everything in and exploring all the different systems can be time consuming.  

A brand new player might for example see crafting/gathering and decide to just dabble a bit to see what it's like, or play around with the materia system, etc.

Oh - sorry, I am tired and was not reading closely - especially once I saw you say "2 weeks".

In that case, no way it would take someone who is an mmo vet and playing 'hardcore' hours more than a week to get 30 in one class and 15 in another. I (one who knew nothing about the game) was playing pretty heavily during the 7-8 days of beta I had access to in phase 3, and I got almost every class (including crafting and gathering classes) to about level 15, and one class to 23 (I stopped because the main story quests ran out). Even though I was playing long hours, I was kind of taking my time and checking everything out, not focusing on leveling at an optimal pace.  After you've leveled a class to 15 once and figured out how to go about it, subsequent classes can reach that level quite rapidly - it'd take maybe half a day of hardcore play to get the second class to 15. I got 15 in the first, taking my time, in about a day or so of such play. 15-23 took maybe another day to a day and a half. You could probably hit 30 in your first 4 or 5 days of play, no problem.

If you're newer to MMOs, or at least this style of MMO in general, 2 weeks might be more accurate; casual play, at least that long or longer.

Originally posted by raas1337

Keep in mind though, the main storyline quests give a buttload of xp for completing them...and those stop at level 20. 

False info, it was only limited in beta to lvl 20. Main story goes up until 50 and above that.

Well at least we know you're not reading the whole thread :P

• DoctorhooDoctorhoo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    I Easily got to Level 30 on my CNJ in P3, and got to try all the Dungeons up thru Haukke Manor.   After that I just stopped pushing leveling and enjoyed socializing and exploring other stuff and looked at crafting.

Quick and Easy Leveling Tips: 
    - Get a Rested bonus for logging off in an INN or SANCTUARY
    - Use Food Bonus for Extra EXP and Stats, especially for Dungeons.

Experience Bar Color: Yellow (Normal), Blue (Rested Bonus), Red (Rested bonus beyond current level)

- Hunter Log & FATES with Quests
    - Consider Raid FATE Farming in a Group of 8 (works best when everyone has a Mount)
    - Unlock Dungeons with Story and Run Them (Drops are VERY good)
    - Weapon Upgrades are Important for ALL Classes, even Casters.

• raas1337raas1337 Member Posts: 39

Well at least we know you're not reading the whole thread :P I read it carefully and what you read my confuse some ppl that there is no story quest after lvl 20 at all, not only beta so i figured out its better to mention that.

Well at least we know you're not reading the whole thread :P I read it carefully and what you read my confuse some ppl that there is no story quest after lvl 20 at all, not only beta so i figured out its better to mention that.

No, you didn't.  You read the first post and that's it.  If you HAD read the whole thread you would see the second post that clearly spells that out.  Try again champ

Originally posted by Doctorhoo
    I Easily got to Level 30 on my CNJ in P3, and got to try all the Dungeons up thru Haukke Manor.   After that I just stopped pushing leveling and enjoyed socializing and exploring other stuff and looked at crafting.

Quick and Easy Leveling Tips: 
    - Get a Rested bonus for logging off in an INN or SANCTUARY
    - Use Food Bonus for Extra EXP and Stats, especially for Dungeons.

Experience Bar Color: Yellow (Normal), Blue (Rested Bonus), Red (Rested bonus beyond current level)

- Hunter Log & FATES with Quests
    - Consider Raid FATE Farming in a Group of 8 (works best when everyone has a Mount)
    - Unlock Dungeons with Story and Run Them (Drops are VERY good)
    - Weapon Upgrades are Important for ALL Classes, even Casters.

+1, very good tips for new people who are looking for the most effective way to go about it.  Luckily the game does a very good job of making sure you're aware of these things as well via active help.  

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

Ok question with comparing ffxi to ffxiv arr leveling. It took me someware between 1-2 years to cap my first job to 75.

Now if I play ffxiv arr as much as I did ffxi, played ffxi almost every day the whole time, how many jobs will I beable to cap to 50 in that same timeframe with ARR?

Like half the classes or maybe all of them?

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

Hopefully it takes weeks/months to level.

I'm pretty sick of the speed leveling ez-mode of contemporary MMORPGs, and even more sick of the wusses who play those games and think leveling is such a chore.  You do have a choice - if you don't like it, don't play MMOs, go back to coloring books and watching TV.

If they really do want to create a game that players invest in and stick with for years, then it starts with ditching speed leveling ez-mode.

Weed out the useless players early.

We'll see.  If beta feedback is accurate and representative of the whole leveling process then IMO, SE is already failing at their design goals.

The last thing MMO space needs is yet another ultra simplistic solo ez mode pseudo MMO.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    I'd definitely not mind a slower leveling speed, especially since it sounds like there's plenty to do in the game. I hope that the game slows down after level 30 or so and the beta speed is not representative.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?