Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What sort of death penalty do you want? What you believe EQNext will have?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
What sort of death penalty do you believe EQNEXT will have? 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

I'd want XP loss (if XP is a thing) and durability loss / item breakage, possibly partial item droppage but I don't think fulldrop is a great idea.

What I think it will have? Uhhh...

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• jcr4990jcr4990 Member Posts: 10
    I want EQ1 death penalties personally but I don't know if SoE will risk doing that. People are too soft after WoW and all the modern MMO's making death meaningless. EQ1's death penalties actually made you scared of dying and made you play carefully. Really would like to have that feeling back in EQN. Just not holding my breath.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    when i die i want one other randomly determined player in the world to drop dead as well. right where they stand. no matter what they are doing or where they are.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    I want it to sting. Not so much that it's crippling, but I want to desperately avoid death. If there's ever a point where I think "yeah it'd be easier to just kill myself than walk home" it's probably too light. (though this was a thing I did in DAoC, when your first death of a new level had a much lower death penalty, so after a long night of killing and leveling, it wasn't so bad.)
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I think a penalty surrounding item degradation would be suitable and I'm also hoping xp isn't a thing (at least not overall levels).  There should be a reason to fear death but I don't think old EQ penalties are very realistic for what will be in EQN.  Maybe 25% item damage per death on top of normal use damage.  I don't think it should ever become useable but will need mats to keep it fixed up if damaged.  A crafting tie-in maybe?
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

I want an item loss combined with a permanent item degradation death penalty.

When you die, you drop your items which then can be looted by any players or nearby intelligent mobs and then split up among their companions. In addition, the durability of the items permanently degrade.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by aspekx
    when i die i want one other randomly determined player in the world to drop dead as well. right where they stand. no matter what they are doing or where they are.

Actually if this was done within, say, a 1,000 yard radius you'd see a lot more cooperation.  It would have make the "help" button in EQ2 a little more useful and people would come a runnin'! image

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    how about PermaDeath for those who instigate PK
  • fubarbox1fubarbox1 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I never had a problem with the EQ1 death penalty, so I want that. It made you fear death, forced you to learn from your mistakes, made you think/be a little more cautious, and best of all it fostered community! I cannot tell you how many great nights in EQ1 started with helping with a corpse retrieval. To this day I am afraid of the mountains off of LOIO and I miss that. I miss holding my breath and hoping for the best when navigating around the world......These facebook style casual death penalties went a long way in making this genre feel underwhelming imho. 
    Originally posted by Aelious
    I think a penalty surrounding item degradation would be suitable and I'm also hoping xp isn't a thing (at least not overall levels).  There should be a reason to fear death but I don't think old EQ penalties are very realistic for what will be in EQN.  Maybe 25% item damage per death on top of normal use damage.  I don't think it should ever become useable but will need mats to keep it fixed up if damaged.  A crafting tie-in maybe?

I like the idea of a major hit on the durability of the item. If crafting was required to repair an item, there would have to be a system setup so you didn't have to send it to the crafter via trade so there was no chance to just outright lose it.

An issue I see with requiring crafting though is that you would have everyone taking up a craft just to repair their items and that would ultimately defeat the purpose. Now, if there was an option to go to an NPC and pay a fee and the crafting materials while crafters could do it as well just for the cost of the materials then there may be enough incentive to look for a crafter, but not enough to level up crafting.

I honestly don't want a system that just becomes a gold sink though. That is really bad design. There needs to be item sinks to prevent item inflation and gold sinks are a lot easier to implement.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Eh, money is rather worthless in most MMOs. Once you have a level 50 character, he just tosses a couple plat your way and then the death penalty means nothing. It needs to be something worse than item hits.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by TribeofOne

Probably griefable.

Originally posted by jcr4990
    I want EQ1 death penalties personally but I don't know if SoE will risk doing that. People are too soft after WoW and all the modern MMO's making death meaningless. EQ1's death penalties actually made you scared of dying and made you play carefully. Really would like to have that feeling back in EQN. Just not holding my breath.

Experience penalties in EQ1 were worthless once you reached max level.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Dura loss (permanent) to keep the crafter economy flourishing, partial item & money loss (stays on the corpse, unless looted by player, friend or foe) like 10-20% of items, both held and inventory items get rolled for chance to drop (held/worn items can be insured, but at a hefty price based of the items value), 50% money carried at the time of demise.

xp loss is so 90's, i'm far more comfortable losing my entire held gear (Darkfall), than i ever was with XP / level loss (EQ, FFXI).

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

As long as it's not the same as EQ2, and I'll be happy.

• grimjakkgrimjakk Member Posts: 192

I'd like a progressive system, similar to DAOC, where the first death per level is free but each subsequent death stings a bit harder.

You don't want to discourage exploration and risk taking, but by the second or third dirt-nap a smart player should be seeing the pattern...

Originally posted by grimjakk

I'd like a progressive system, similar to DAOC, where the first death per level is free but each subsequent death stings a bit harder.

You don't want to discourage exploration and risk taking, but by the second or third dirt-nap a smart player should be seeing the pattern...

You do want to discourage exploration. If there is no risk in exploration, then it is more sight seeing than exploration. Also, 'risk taking' requires actual risk.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336
    The same old discussion. Reading this forums one could get the impression, that most MMO-players would prefer hard death penalties. However, when you look at the MMO-market you actually can see, that most players stick to games like WoW only to complain all the time, that MMOs have become too easy. This is soooo funny.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

As long as it's not the same as EQ2, and I'll be happy.

Heh, I was just fixing to say that's probably what it'll be like.

On that note:  Does anyone else feel like durability damage on equipment is just stupid and pointless when items can't actually break/decay?

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

I like the idea of a major hit on the durability of the item. If crafting was required to repair an item, there would have to be a system setup so you didn't have to send it to the crafter via trade so there was no chance to just outright lose it.

An issue I see with requiring crafting though is that you would have everyone taking up a craft just to repair their items and that would ultimately defeat the purpose. Now, if there was an option to go to an NPC and pay a fee and the crafting materials while crafters could do it as well just for the cost of the materials then there may be enough incentive to look for a crafter, but not enough to level up crafting.

I honestly don't want a system that just becomes a gold sink though. That is really bad design. There needs to be item sinks to prevent item inflation and gold sinks are a lot easier to implement.

I was thinking something similar.  What about even tying crafters into the repair NPCs directly?  Say the repair NPCs require supply from crafters.  Crafters make some type of tools/repair kits, and sell/supply them to the Blacksmith or whatever.  Crafter gets a cut based on the level/repair quality of the items they supply.  More player economy, please.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

I would like to see EQN have a Legends of Kesmai style death system.

If you die to a mob, they loot all your items, you then will have to hunt the mob down to get your items back.  If it was a player, they can loot your items.

Next you lose about 50% to 80% of a whole level worth of exp.

Next, unless a cleric or other healer revives you within 5-10 minutes, you don't respawn in the living word.  You respawn in the underworld/afterlife.  You have to then have to do a series of quests to get your mortal body back from the gods and prove your worth.

Once quest is finished, you revive in your home city's revive spot (Temple, glade, whatever, depending on your class/race).  You are butt naked and -50% to -75% exp lost from when you died.

If revived by a healer, you lose only about 25% exp of your level and don't have to do the underworld/afterlife event.

*What do I think EQN will have?

A tiny exp loss.

Maybe they'll bring back corpse runs.  Probably all it'll have.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

Originally posted by Lokero
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

I was thinking something similar.  What about even tying crafters into the repair NPCs directly?  Say the repair NPCs require supply from crafters.  Crafters make some type of tools/repair kits, and sell/supply them to the Blacksmith or whatever.  Crafter gets a cut based on the level/repair quality of the items they supply.  More player economy, please.

I am still worried though that having item repair turns the death penalty into a gold sink. Worse if it is primarily the crafters that repair, you end up with neither a gold sink nor an item sink as both will stay in circulation. Gold sinks can come from a variety of things, but very few things can institute an item sink.

There's just honestly no reason to have a repair mechanism. People will simply buy a new item to replace the one they lost and the crafters will benefit in the process, even if items don't solely come from crafting. People will only wear what the can afford to lose.

You could combine permanent item damage with temporary item damage. When the character dies, his items lose 25% durability permanently, but they also lose stats, damage, and defense which can be repaired.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by Stromm

Originally posted by TribeofOne

Probably griefable.

isnt THE point of PvP to grief people.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Dying should be bad without increasing the grind.

But you also have to think about the game mechanics. If the game is all about getting cool gear taking away someone full gear is too severe. In a PvP game where gear is easy to get and have similar benefits to all other gear that is a viable option.

Personally I would like locking out the dead character a while. Maybe 15-30 minutes (but the exact time also depends on the specific game, it could be a few minutes or an entire day to fit a specific game). Then dying would be annoying but still wouldn't add grinding.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Lokero

Wouldn't it just be simpler to have the crafter repair your gear directly instead of going through a NPC then? You could just implement a cost for the crafter in supplies and if you want to, add a specific rate.