Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are console developers set to reinvigorate the mmo?

Comments

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by eric1000
    Originally posted by grndzro

Consoles will pretty much take over the market because the developers make more money on consoles.

(...)  the new Xbone & PS4 don't bring enough to the table to alter that trend.

Source ?

Google it mate.  Console sales and the sales of console games fell by over 20% in 2012 and the trend is continuing.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Consoles will pretty much take over the market because the developers make more money on consoles.

Source ?

Google it mate.  Console sales and the sales of console games fell by over 20% in 2012 and the trend is continuing.

Neither xbox one nor ps4 are released yet, yet you state that they don't bring enough to the table to alter the trend of decreasing sales. I wanted your source for that particular "prediction". 

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

MMOs can't be done on consoles. The control scheme, and gameplay don't lend well to this type of gameplay. That and the audience that generally plays Consoles are what the industry consider "Super Casuals". Super-Casuals don't typically play MMOs, it's just not the time investment they're willing to invest into for what an MMO requires.

That being said, I'm talking about pure-console only MMOs, and not these "hybrids" that have a strong following on the PC first, and then are cross-ported to consoles with a weaker interface.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Console devs get it, pc devs are still lost and worried about business models and quarterly reports.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Classicstar

Originally posted by aspekx
    the upcoming releases of two titles that have caused quite a stir, Destiny and The Division, are quite clear in their use of 'open worlds', exploration, and direct impact on the gaming world.

are the console developers 'getting it'? are they unwittingly setting the stage to take mmo's forward with new technologies, yet containing substantive old school premises?

to be clear, i am not suggesting that mmo's will go console, but instead that console developers might be taking the hint from gamers and building more open online worlds with what players want.

and assuming their success wouldn't pc developers begin to notice and apply these things to pc mmo's?

A console can never have so much option and posibillitys as a PC can have no matter how hard they try unless your fine with limited console gamepad and awekward movement which i realy hate.

PC will always do the job so much better then a console hardware and mouse/keyboard wise.

But if the masses choose console then so be it its there loss not mine.

Even new generation can't never handle huge open fully DX11 worlds while PC always can with there superior hardware.

Ill stick with PC(highend/midrange offcorse) which is by far always superior gaming platform.

So many haters. Hardware specs mean jack shit if devs make mediocre games. Devs like Ubisoft and Rockstar are making open world console games that put the majority of AAA pc mmos to shame. Just because you own an expensive car doesnt make you a better driver. Go play Red Dead Redemption and you will wonder what the fuck these pc mmo devs are doing. Its like they are 20 years behind in core game development.

So many ludicrous claims too, and with such flimsy arguments to back them up, regardless of your own personal feelings on the matter, Hardware specs are the ultimate limit on what can and cannot be done, something microsoft are still smarting over after the PS4 kind of walked all over the xbone in the hardware department. Its no surprise that most of the 'demo's at E3 etc were using PC versions for effect, rather than consoles. As for red dead redemption, you cannot be serious, if thats the best example you can come up with, then its a poor one, and kind of knocks all kinds of holes out of your argument anyway. Clearly you havent played many MMO's if you think that game is such a superior example image

There is a very good reason why game demo's are made using the PC, its because if you want the best graphics, there really isnt another option.image

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by BearKnight
    MMOs can't be done on consoles. The control scheme, and gameplay don't lend well to this type of gameplay. That and the audience that generally plays Consoles are what the industry consider "Super Casuals". Super-Casuals don't typically play MMOs, it's just not the time investment they're willing to invest into for what an MMO requires. That being said, I'm talking about pure-console only MMOs, and not these "hybrids" that have a strong following on the PC first, and then are cross-ported to consoles with a weaker interface.
    I think you got it the other way around. The casual masses play pc shovelware. Think about how many people own a pc compared to a current gen console. Entire websites dedicated to casual mini games. Free to play flash game trash that appeals to "Super Casuals". Console gamers invest 60 bucks a pop on new games. PC gamers throw a tantrum if they gotta spend 15 bucks a month.

Source ?

Neither xbox one nor ps4 are released yet, yet you state that they don't bring enough to the table to alter the trend of decreasing sales. I wanted your source for that particular "prediction". 

That prediction is mine.  The PC has already eclipsed both the new consoles in power by a short mile before they have even released.  What's more the VGchart which measures this stuff showed that in June the pre-order figures for the new boxes was 75000 for the PS4 & only 45000 for the Xbone which I am sure you will agree is pathetic.  source http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251076/ps4-vs-xbox-one-pre-order-totals-to-june-15th-2013/

The mass market is now heading more towards mobile gaming with the smartphones and tablets.

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by Classicstar

Originally posted by aspekx the upcoming releases of two titles that have caused quite a stir, Destiny and The Division, are quite clear in their use of 'open worlds', exploration, and direct impact on the gaming world.     are the console developers 'getting it'? are they unwittingly setting the stage to take mmo's forward with new technologies, yet containing substantive old school premises?   to be clear, i am not suggesting that mmo's will go console, but instead that console developers might be taking the hint from gamers and building more open online worlds with what players want.   and assuming their success wouldn't pc developers begin to notice and apply these things to pc mmo's?
      A console can never have so much option and posibillitys as a PC can have no matter how hard they try unless your fine with limited console gamepad and awekward movement which i realy hate. PC will always do the job so much better then a console hardware and mouse/keyboard wise. But if the masses choose console then so be it its there loss not mine. Even new generation can't never handle huge open fully DX11 worlds while PC always can with there superior hardware. Ill stick with PC(highend/midrange offcorse) which is by far always superior gaming platform.
      So many haters. Hardware specs mean jack shit if devs make mediocre games. Devs like Ubisoft and Rockstar are making open world console games that put the majority of AAA pc mmos to shame. Just because you own an expensive car doesnt make you a better driver. Go play Red Dead Redemption and you will wonder what the fuck these pc mmo devs are doing. Its like they are 20 years behind in core game development.
    So many ludicrous claims too, and with such flimsy arguments to back them up, regardless of your own personal feelings on the matter, Hardware specs are the ultimate limit on what can and cannot be done, something microsoft are still smarting over after the PS4 kind of walked all over the xbone in the hardware department. Its no surprise that most of the 'demo's at E3 etc were using PC versions for effect, rather than consoles. As for red dead redemption, you cannot be serious, if thats the best example you can come up with, then its a poor one, and kind of knocks all kinds of holes out of your argument anyway. Clearly you havent played many MMO's if you think that game is such a superior example

There is a very good reason why game demo's are made using the PC, its because if you want the best graphics, there really isnt another option.

RDR has more things to do than most mmos these days and it does it without a loading screen and on what a single gig of ram. You wanna lean on graphics making your games better go ahead.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Yes. just a look at the genres of the mmos on console is enough. Look at the Division have we seen anything close to something like that on PC? Look at GTAV Online, I'm sorry but the console companies will reinvigorate mmos, and with the usb outputs and hard drives there is nothing stopping regular updates and using a mouse and keyboard. So sorry haters but the best mmos will be on console soon. I'm willing to put money on that. And forget about it if the PS4 and XB1 can use DX11.

Nothing on PC can mess with the impact of a PS4/XB1 fueled GTA Online or Destiny (*cough Halo Online). Sorry but no. And Square Enix has shown what a great console mmo control scheme can be with the FFXIV PS3 controls.  And lets not forget about cloud functionality, those things WILL be built into console games. PC devs drag their feet on these types of features. Sorry but consoles are going to be what fuels the mmo quite soon and thank god, because I don't think I can take another ten thousand fantasy mmos. Its time for more types of genres for mmorpgs and the console mmos are doing just that with an audience that can appreciate them unlike closed minded PC mmo loyalists who never get sick of elves, dwarves and the like. Lucky for us  too that I won't have to play through half assed non fantasy indie dev mmos anymore. It will be nice to see AAA sci fi, modern day and other types. Hell you know damn well we will see a western mmo on console before we see it on PC. PC mmos are too damn narrow in scope and concept and as someone said the PC game culture is too closed and narrow as well. I can't wait to see fighting game mmoss, good Scifi mmos where I'm not a ship, great western mmos, beat em  up mmos, racing mmos (ubisoft is making one of these too called The Crew). Where are these mmo genres on PC? Never coming, because most pc gamers want to play some Lord of the Rings variant over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

Source ?

That prediction is mine.  The PC has already eclipsed both the new consoles in power by a short mile before they have even released.  What's more the VGchart which measures this stuff showed that in June the pre-order figures for the new boxes was 75000 for the PS4 & only 45000 for the Xbone which I am sure you will agree is pathetic.  source http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251076/ps4-vs-xbox-one-pre-order-totals-to-june-15th-2013/

The mass market is now heading more towards mobile gaming with the smartphones and tablets.

PC has always been stronger than consoles in power. The culture is where the flaw with the PC gaming always has been (a flaw in the sense that it is a reason for why PC gaming didn't take over the console market).

About pre-orders: do console players tend to pre-order consoles?  Numbers of how many preordered ps3 and xbox360 would be relevant.

Here is an article stating that twice as many preorders have happened for the ps4 and Xboxone compared to the preorders for ps3 and xbox360 back in the days:

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/watch_dogs/news/ps4_and_xbox_one_pre-order_numbers_double_that_of_360_ps3.html

Source ?

PC has always been stronger than consoles in power. The culture is where the flaw with the PC gaming always has been (a flaw in the sense that it is a reason for why PC gaming didn't take over the console market).

About pre-orders: do console players tend to pre-order consoles?  Numbers of how many preordered ps3 and xbox360 would be relevant.

Here is an article stating that twice as many preorders have happened for the ps4 and Xboxone compared to the preorders for ps3 and xbox360 back in the days:

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/watch_dogs/news/ps4_and_xbox_one_pre-order_numbers_double_that_of_360_ps3.html

We will only know for sure once the consoles release but I would be very surprised if they did well enough over the next few years to justify further development.  I am willing to bet that the Xbox Two and PS5 never see the light of day with Sony and MS turning their attention instead to the mobile market.

Big Budget AAA console games are just starting to really hit their stride. Most of you would realize that if you took your heads out of the sand. Graphics are the only thing that a pc can potentially do better than a console. And I say potentially because the majority of pc exclusive games are so poorly optimized that they waste any sort of hardware advantage they could have had.

Consoles have all the genres. All of them. Online support for almost every major title. Built in hard drives, keyboard and mouse support. The graphics argument is a pitiful crutch from pc elitists who quite frankly I dont consider gamers. I mean honestly how can you call yourself a gamers when you turn a blind eye to where 90% of AAA game development occurs? Not to mention indie game development is getting more love now from consoles than ever on pc.

I play console and pc games. Crazy, I know.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

The people who make the games aren't the problem with mmos. it's the people they make them for that are.

Instant gratification and good mmo are like oil and water. You can never appeal to one and still have a good mmo after.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

With the list of MMOs coming to console as big as it is - yes, the future of the MMO market and its reinvigoration is going to be coming from the console front.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/24/coming-soon-to-a-console-near-you-mmos/

Here's a list of so far and rumored from Massively.

Big Budget AAA console games are just starting to really hit their stride. Most of you would realize that if you took your heads out of the sand. Graphics are the only thing that a pc can potentially do better than a console. And I say potentially because the majority of pc exclusive games are so poorly optimized that they waste any sort of hardware advantage they could have had.

Consoles have all the genres. All of them. Online support for almost every major title. Built in hard drives, keyboard and mouse support. The graphics argument is a pitiful crutch from pc elitists who quite frankly I dont consider gamers. I mean honestly how can you call yourself a gamers when you turn a blind eye to where 90% of AAA game development occurs? Not to mention indie game development is getting more love now from consoles than ever on pc.

I play console and pc games. Crazy, I know.

RTS and MOBAs are certainly far better on pc than consoles. One important reason being that the PC mouse can pick out a random object among hundreds on the screen far quicker than it is done with a console controler. FPS, I am not so sure of, I know they are big in both markets, and I don't play either enough to know the strengths and weakneses. 

Originally posted by DamonVile

The people who make the games aren't the problem with mmos. it's the people they make them for that are.

Instant gratification and good mmo are like oil and water. You can never appeal to one and still have a good mmo after.

Yes, far too many PC MMORPGs have too much instant gratification. I agree. 

Originally posted by Foomerang Big Budget AAA console games are just starting to really hit their stride. Most of you would realize that if you took your heads out of the sand. Graphics are the only thing that a pc can potentially do better than a console. And I say potentially because the majority of pc exclusive games are so poorly optimized that they waste any sort of hardware advantage they could have had. Consoles have all the genres. All of them. Online support for almost every major title. Built in hard drives, keyboard and mouse support. The graphics argument is a pitiful crutch from pc elitists who quite frankly I dont consider gamers. I mean honestly how can you call yourself a gamers when you turn a blind eye to where 90% of AAA game development occurs? Not to mention indie game development is getting more love now from consoles than ever on pc. I play console and pc games. Crazy, I know.
    RTS and MOBAs are certainly far better on pc than consoles. One important reason being that the PC mouse can pick out a random object among hundreds on the screen far quicker than it is done with a console controler. FPS, I am not so sure of, I know they are big in both markets, and I don't play either enough to know the strengths and weakneses. 

You can play RTS on a console with a keyboard and mouse. Been that way since like 2009.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

You can play RTS on a console with a keyboard and mouse. Been that way since like 2009.

But that is not the norm.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Foomerang Big Budget AAA console games are just starting to really hit their stride. Most of you would realize that if you took your heads out of the sand. Graphics are the only thing that a pc can potentially do better than a console. And I say potentially because the majority of pc exclusive games are so poorly optimized that they waste any sort of hardware advantage they could have had. Consoles have all the genres. All of them. Online support for almost every major title. Built in hard drives, keyboard and mouse support. The graphics argument is a pitiful crutch from pc elitists who quite frankly I dont consider gamers. I mean honestly how can you call yourself a gamers when you turn a blind eye to where 90% of AAA game development occurs? Not to mention indie game development is getting more love now from consoles than ever on pc. I play console and pc games. Crazy, I know.

How many console players would choose to get a keyboard and a mouse for a RTS on a console? Very few I would guess, just like very few people would get a controller with an analogue stick for PC games. It is not only about what is possible to do, it is also about what is being done.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Quirhid

But that is not the norm.

The new battleground and new "standard" for MOBAs and probably RTS is going to be the tablet market and maybe even mobile - becoming powerful enough to easily do the graphics you see in current RTS and MOBA, and with touch the instant access control necessary.

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by TwoThreeFour Originally posted by Foomerang Big Budget AAA console games are just starting to really hit their stride. Most of you would realize that if you took your heads out of the sand. Graphics are the only thing that a pc can potentially do better than a console. And I say potentially because the majority of pc exclusive games are so poorly optimized that they waste any sort of hardware advantage they could have had. Consoles have all the genres. All of them. Online support for almost every major title. Built in hard drives, keyboard and mouse support. The graphics argument is a pitiful crutch from pc elitists who quite frankly I dont consider gamers. I mean honestly how can you call yourself a gamers when you turn a blind eye to where 90% of AAA game development occurs? Not to mention indie game development is getting more love now from consoles than ever on pc. I play console and pc games. Crazy, I know.
    How many console players would choose to get a keyboard and a mouse for a RTS on a console? Very few I would guess, just like very few people would get a controller with an analogue stick for PC games. It is not only about what is possible to do, it is also about what is being done.

I own a pc. As a result, I have a mouse and keyboard. They plug into my ps3. Done. I also have a wired 360 controller that I plug into my pc for certain games. Why is this so hard for some people?
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

This is true because if your game is good enough you can actually sell the game for money rather than give it away for free. Now if yournot a real good developer, then pc culture Iis there to rescue you, I have seen pc gamers talk about how great the most horrible games are and actually spend money in those games.

As far as consoles reviving mmo's you can bank on online persistant worlds clear full of instancing, and not just within the worlds, but the very worlds themselves. Think servers, you can join any server at anytime so long as there is room on the server, oh btw max server size is 64 players.

Personally I am very much ok with that, but it is not the mmo world that we are used to. It does however enable more quality gameplay.

I own a pc. As a result, I have a mouse and keyboard. They plug into my ps3. Done. I also have a wired 360 controller that I plug into my pc for certain games. Why is this so hard for some people? 

Humans learn habits and old habits are hard to break. I suppose it has with human psychology to do and our need to feel safety through things we are familiar with. 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I have always had a playstation and i will be buying the PS4 as soon as it's released. As for the OP question, nope they are not.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs
    If by "reinvigorate" you mean destroy, then yes

If by "destroy" you mean "change and progress", then yes.