It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
I will be the first to tell you, I think 8 of my friends and I could do the job that SnailUsa is doing. That being said, what good they've done can not be dismissed either.
Now we know every mmorpg (worth playing) from WoW to AION, to GW2 has had problems with bots and gold selling. This is what SnailUsa has done over the past 3 months.
1. Gold buyers/sellers - The huge ban hammer. For about 3 weeks back in May, snail went nuts and banned anyone who stood to close to a gold seller. i was wrongly frozen for 2 days along with hundreds of other people. some people were frooze for as long as a week, other were perma banned. They could have handled it better by using a scapal instead of a sledgehammer, but they did handle it. Prices on everything crashed, and the remaining sellers more than doubled their price.
2. For gold seller spam they -
a) took the limit of our block list
b) increased the progression level at which a player could chat in all channels except general
c) Added a local block so that you don't have to see them talk
d) Added a report button
3. This week SnailUsa shut down a major bot ring that the Asians called "The factory."
4. Come August 8th only subbed players will be able to farm. This is a big one. There will be a lot of push back against this. As I've said AoW is more of a sub game (for new players) with an unlimited f2p option.
edit - Additions
5. Today 7/31 a new system was implemented to end credit card fraud. New players can no longer convert purchased gold to silver. They will only be able to convert to a bound "Silver Note". This silver notes will prevent bad silver from hitting the market.
Where are we now? In a much better place. Has the problem been eradicated? No, the problem has been greatly reduced. Could more be done? Sure, and judging by SnailUsa's track record more will be done.
SnailUsa is far from perfect, but the can not be accused of sitting on their thumbs.