Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Too much change

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common

The problem I have with WOW is its last four years of development seem to take on this concept that the game needs to have frequent changes and Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI).  The latter is a business concept in which processes need continuous monitoring and tweaks to improve quality; a never-ending process of change.

The problem with this is it steals away the fantasy theme of "always", in which there is this simple beautiful world which always is.  Also, the never-ending change is frustrating to many as it causes us to relearn how to play over and over and over.  Change, even positive change, causes churn (i.e., some in the player base will quit because of it).

So, over-simplification and CQI (continuous change), IMO, drives players away.  Certainly drove me away; I'm just sick of every time I sit down at the WOW table, the rules have changed.  Also, IMO, development management doesn't know what the h#$L they're doing; they're driving this game into the ground and fast.

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Richmond, VAPosts: 1,538Member Common

5.3 and 5.4 are trying to move away from dailies, so that change is good.

WoW tinkers with classes *far* too much though.  Many classes play completely different than they used to, which is terrible design and has definitely contributed to the churn

• EpicentEpicent Pierre Part, LAPosts: 647Member
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10

The problem I have with WOW is its last four years of development seem to take on this concept that the game needs to have frequent changes and Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI).  The latter is a business concept in which processes need continuous monitoring and tweaks to improve quality; a never-ending process of change.

The problem with this is it steals away the fantasy theme of "always", in which there is this simple beautiful world which always is.  Also, the never-ending change is frustrating to many as it causes us to relearn how to play over and over and over.  Change, even positive change, causes churn (i.e., some in the player base will quit because of it).

So, over-simplification and CQI (continuous change), IMO, drives players away.  Certainly drove me away; I'm just sick of every time I sit down at the WOW table, the rules have changed.  Also, IMO, development management doesn't know what the h#$L they're doing; they're driving this game into the ground and fast.

This is spot on. The main reason I quit was because I didn't feel like relearning my character for the zillionth time.

• versulasversulas None of your damn business, WAPosts: 286Member Uncommon

meh... I think people would rather have too much change than not enough in a story-driven themepark. Once you've done something once, unless you have change, your only option is to do it over and over again which causes the game to get stale.

For one, content locusts are always moving on to the next thing, and change is a way to keep them interested in a dated game. While progression is often referred to as a hamster wheel, it DOES allow max-level players something to do, and a lack of endgame content has always been the number one complaint in most new mmo's (at least on this site).

For another, the instant gratification crowd has come into mainstream mmo titles and to please them devs are starting to change the classic archetypes to have less downtime, be more mobile, accomplish more with less, and be more self-sufficient. This causes players to adapt to those changes. Classes are simply one more area where Blizzard draws people in and says, "We're doing something." It might not be particularly new or innovative, but if they're not going to raise the level cap every month or so and add new skills or missions or tie them into the story in any way, shape, or form, they can at least rethink the old stuff.

Finally, it's not all that hard to keep track of these changes. Classes and encounters in WoW are laughably easy to master. It's just all the people who have left WoW and come back months or years later and are overwhelmed by all these changes at once that have issues.

• DatastarDatastar Austin, TXPosts: 195Member Common
    honestly with the move vivindi is making to bleed blizzard/activision prolly a good time to just move on folks.
  • craftseekercraftseeker kynetonPosts: 844Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Datastar
    honestly with the move vivindi is making to bleed blizzard/activision prolly a good time to just move on folks.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2013/07/22/vivendi-to-force-3-billion-special-dividend-on-activision-blizzard/

Vivendi , which owns a controlling 61% stake in Activision-Blizzard, is set to discuss forcing a $3 billion special dividend on the American video game publisher at its board meeting Monday.

• page975page975 Scranton, PAPosts: 312Member

Back in the 60s Ford had the Mustang, very popular car. I think it was the mid 70s they decided to completely overhaul the design. Like WoW.  No one asked for this drastic change.  Ford did it anyway.

They made it much smaller, cheaper with the same engine as the Ford Pinto.  All their engines got only forty thousand miles before they began to burn oil.  It was a major flop and AND NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS CHANGE !

Exactly like what Blizzard did with WoW.  Contrary to popular belief no one asked for easy, they made this up.  Blizzard did this to market their expansions and sell them faster.....Show me Prof of this you say ?...I say screw you ! 

Have you ever played World of Warcraft with 10 year olds back in 2005 ?....They played just as good as adults...They would need everything and loot your stuff, complain, and be selfish, but they played the game just as good if not better...No one asked for easy !

Blizzard could have gone in several directions, instead they could have made a new 1-60 Continent.  This is just one example . But to butcher a working project was a bad move.  Bad move for the players, but good move for marketing.

People here would say " but 9 million players ". First, without going into detail this is another marketing trick by Blizzard, the numbers are fabricated by the team.  No one knows the alternative directions history could have taken, but I'm sure it could have been better.  I could only guess, but my opinion would be that the NEW marketing team stepped in after the BC expansion and overpowered the passion !

• sportsfansportsfan BlankenbergePosts: 431Member
    Originally posted by page975

Back in the 60s Ford had the Mustang, very popular car. I think it was the mid 70s they decided to completely overhaul the design. Like WoW.  No one asked for this drastic change.  Ford did it anyway.

They made it much smaller, cheaper with the same engine as the Ford Pinto.  All their engines got only forty thousand miles before they began to burn oil.  It was a major flop and AND NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS CHANGE !

Exactly like what Blizzard did with WoW.  Contrary to popular belief no one asked for easy, they made this up.  Blizzard did this to market their expansions and sell them faster.....Show me Prof of this you say ?...I say screw you ! 

Have you ever played World of Warcraft with 10 year olds back in 2005 ?....They played just as good as adults...They would need everything and loot your stuff, complain, and be selfish, but they played the game just as good if not better...No one asked for easy !

Blizzard could have gone in several directions, instead they could have made a new 1-60 Continent.  This is just one example . But to butcher a working project was a bad move.  Bad move for the players, but good move for marketing.

People here would say " but 9 million players ". First, without going into detail this is another marketing trick by Blizzard, the numbers are fabricated by the team.  No one knows the alternative directions history could have taken, but I'm sure it could have been better.  I could only guess, but my opinion would be that the NEW marketing team stepped in after the BC expansion and overpowered the passion !

WOW is MUCH too difficult for a new player.

No Multi million game can afford to go the hardcore way.

It is rather simple: you can't expect someone to play a game for 3000 hours and then listen to his desires to include MORE that would challenge him.

Uplayable mess would be the result.

Lesson 1: log in: try to FORGET EVERYTHING by playing the thing in the past 3000 hours ... and then come back and say WOW is too dumbed down.

it really isn't , if anything it is too bewildering for ANY player coming back after 3 years, let alone a newbee...

• ThaneThane berlinPosts: 2,230Member Uncommon

gotta love how you guys wont stop calling a game with more than 8 million subs a fail.

lemme do such a fail plz!

you sound like grumpy grandpas who could never get assed to learn how to drive with a gearshift after buying that cool automatic car.

ps: i am 37 years old, so don't start to think i concider you guys old. it's just your behaviour :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common
    Originally posted by Thane

gotta love how you guys wont stop calling a game with more than 8 million subs a fail.

lemme do such a fail plz!

you sound like grumpy grandpas who could never get assed to learn how to drive with a gearshift after buying that cool automatic car.

ps: i am 37 years old, so don't start to think i concider you guys old. it's just your behaviour :)

Revenue less Expenses.  Repeat.  Revenue less Expenses.

And no one called WOW a "fail".  WOW appears to be losing subs, however, and while some of this is the age of the game, I do feel that some of it is the dev team rewriting the rules every few months, and I'm not talking about content, I'm talking about character skills and gameplay.  

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Matthews, NCPosts: 464Member

I like change.    Change does make a game feel fresh again for a while. 

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ HillerødPosts: 1,197Member
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

WoW tinkers with classes *far* too much though.  Many classes play completely different than they used to, which is terrible design and has definitely contributed to the churn

This is why I left my rogue after 8 years.

Playing ATM: Elder Scrolls Online, Diablo 3
    MMO's shelted: Check my mmorpg profile
    KICKSTARTED: Camelot Unchained. (250 USD)

• eccotoneccoton Pinehurst, NCPosts: 1,328Member
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I think it is funny that back 3 to 4 years into the game Blizzard changed and added very little and people complained about the lack of change. Now they complain about change. I go back to something I have said many times. Most people did not leave because of change. They blame change as the reason since they don't want to face the fact that after nearly eight years they were simply bored. If WOW released in the state it is now and evolved into vanilla WOW people would be pissed and claimed they killed the game. People, eight years is a longtime to play any mmo even EQ. Blizzard has done a good job at trying to keep WOW fresh. Somethings worked some did not but over all WOW is a better experience now then back 6 years ago. You just got bored.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Monroe, NJPosts: 1,707Member Uncommon

It's because they can't balance this expansion with such high item levels, they've had the same problems since 5.0 and I can assure you they aren't going away in 5.4.  

Unless they crunch down ilvl's and stats next expansion balance will be even worse.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-FFXIV:ARR

• doodphacedoodphace Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,815Member

There was the one huge change for all classes that took place during 4.0.1, other than thats its been pretty stable for most classes. With that said, there were a few classes that despratly needed some changes (warlock, im looking at you). They pretty much have all 3 warlock specs feeling different now (only took them 8 years :P ), which is a good thing. Their next targets are rogues and hunters, where all 3 specs for each of them still feel very close. I def support that.

My biggest "change" gripe was making 10 mans and 25 mans the same diff/gear level and raid lockout. They are somewhat fixing that in 5.4 with flex raids, but in the end its not quite the same.

Originally posted by Chrisbox

It's because they can't balance this expansion with such high item levels, they've had the same problems since 5.0 and I can assure you they aren't going away in 5.4.  

Unless they crunch down ilvl's and stats next expansion balance will be even worse.  

Well, conisdering the game is vastly more balanced now than it was in vanilla/BC, im not quite sure ilvl inflation is related...

• AntariousAntarious Greenville, SCPosts: 2,802Member

You seem to be referring to the Mustang II which was brought about due to Opec, gas prices and gas lines of the time...  Along with Federal MPG/smog requirements.

Which might be a great example if Blizzard is changing WoW as a reaction to losing players.. but I don't really know if we have data to show if their subs are dropping due to changes or not.

Because you've either made a great example of "unpopular" change brought on by outside uncontrollable factors or... you are comparing change brought on by entirely different reasons...  aka if people left wow because of change that blizzard decided to make due to no factor than their own decision making.

I used to like World of Warcraft "alright" but the decision process going back to before Cata's release just boggles the mind (my opinion).

Moderator's on this site allow certain posters to create endless troll threads. Yet "warn" people for giving recommendations... account *pending* deletion because.. why bother.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,064Member Uncommon
    The game has been under my radar for to long... Any word on them implementing dynamic events, they allways took the good stuff from others and made it better...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ChrisboxChrisbox Monroe, NJPosts: 1,707Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by doodphace

Well, conisdering the game is vastly more balanced now than it was in vanilla/BC, im not quite sure ilvl inflation is related...

It's a different kind of imbalance this time around though, vanilla/BC had a ton more of PVE imbalances.  MoP's problems lie mainly in PvP which is just CC someone then burst someone down or bursted.  Not to mention more than half the specs aren't 2200 viable.  

Not saying PVE in MoP is completely balanced either though, its clear what classes are topping meters and pally tanks...nuff said.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-FFXIV:ARR

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,064Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Antarious

You seem to be referring to the Mustang II which was brought about due to Opec, gas prices and gas lines of the time...  Along with Federal MPG/smog requirements.

Which might be a great example if Blizzard is changing WoW as a reaction to losing players.. but I don't really know if we have data to show if their subs are dropping due to changes or not.

Because you've either made a great example of "unpopular" change brought on by outside uncontrollable factors or... you are comparing change brought on by entirely different reasons...  aka if people left wow because of change that blizzard decided to make due to no factor than their own decision making.

I used to like World of Warcraft "alright" but the decision process going back to before Cata's release just boggles the mind (my opinion).

it was a bad example anyway..

When talking about cars WoW is best compared to the porsche 911, it been around more then 60 years now, and has in that time slowly evolved untill what it is now, but allways taking the right steps to keep up with time... some models worked better then others, but the product is still one of the most wanted cars in the world.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by doodphace

It's a different kind of imbalance this time around though, vanilla/BC had a ton more of PVE imbalances.  MoP's problems lie mainly in PvP which is just CC someone then burst someone down or bursted.  Not to mention more than half the specs aren't 2200 viable.  

Not saying PVE in MoP is completely balanced either though, its clear what classes are topping meters and pally tanks...nuff said.  

Yes, but that has always been the case. MoP PVP isnt any less balanced than any other time in WoW's history. CC is out of control for sure, but that has nothing to do with ilvl.

• PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,923Member Uncommon

Change ISNT always bad. The problem is a lot of the change has been over-all for the worst. For everything good they add 2-3 things bad to it. Vanilla WoW to TBC was actually a rather good change for the better. It made things far less 'hardcore' taking away tedium while still not spoon feeding the player. Sure, some didn't like all the changes but for the most part it built upon itself changing things up in a posative light.

The issue is it seemed to slip from there. Right before WOTLK it did do some questionable things, though wotlk is where it really shined. At launch it had some good elements to it, heck they added in Feral Dps which to this day is the most fun DPS class I played in any MMO, very challenge but very rewarding. Something you could easily see the difference between a good and bad player with, and doing its 'rotation' (more of a priority system then anything) using energy in a way that just was so satisfying. The issue is while that was better things started slipping for the worst. Raids started to become trivialized, heroics were something everyone could do and dungeons started to become tedious and "we rush this or the group sucks' mentality really started to shine even more then before since the grind was PUSHED on you and made into a chore.

It just kept sliding down with what we now have a butchered talent tree, to the point that MoP took away the corpse of the once glorious talent tree for utter garbage (sorry strong words but this would be high in my list of my top 10 dumbest changes to put in a game). Content even more trivialized and the feeling of the game being a 'chore' only further emphasized, added with overly simplified classes. 

But ranting aside, change is good, so long as if its not the wrong change. WoW has been making terrible design choice after terrible design choice. Even copying off of other games they don't seem to grasp onto it like they use to (lets face it, WoW has very little originality behind it outside say maybe the graphic style) a lot of what they take doesn't really manage to be all that much of an improvement and even at times a downgrade. They just don't seem to know what they should do. Trying to change to be more casual friendly is one thing, but when its diminishing the value of the game to the point casual players are finding it boring or easy, it should be clear you are doing things wrong.

WoW is the ONLY big Nostalgic MMO I spent a good time playing and enjoying in my past that I don't bother to return to. Change is something i can embrace, but its just removed far to much, something other games I play while can be a lot different, still hold value to me that wow just can't as it is.

• ZorgoZorgo Deepintheheartof, TXPosts: 2,226Member

I agree with your post in spirit but I would add this as a fine tuning:

no one asked for easy - but they did ask for 'accessibility'. I can't remember the exact press release or numbers, but I know that Blizzard responded to many complaints, backed up by data that a VERY small percentage of folks were able to access the end game content. If I remember correctly, it was only single digit percentages getting to experience the 'coolest' content. 

Paying customers wanted to access this, and Blizzard wanted their customers to see the 'coolest' stuff in the game. 

The huge mistake was providing this 'accessibility' through making the game easier. It achieved their objectives, but as you stated, it wasn't what was asked for.

There was a building and festering backlash to this decision which culminated in the Cataclysm heroics being truly difficult. At this time, there was a large contingency that had become accustomed to 'easy' - and at this time Blizzard complied - they did what was asked of them by a certain percentage of players (I wonder how many) and did in fact make the Cataclysm heroics 'easier', just like some players asked for.

Yet, those who were not in that camp complained again about the 'dumbing down'. 

I'm not sure about the current solution in MoP. The game has remained 'easy' in one sense - but they added the 'challenge' mode for those who didn't want easy. The problem, imo, is that the combat/dungeons are still 'easy' but you can challenge yourself to see 'how fast you can do it'. I guess in some respects you could call this 'difficult'; but to me it isn't the same thing - you can win the battles easily, but it is difficult to beat the timer.....not the same.

To be truly honest, I feel sympathy for Blizzard here. Not every WoW player is of the same mind. How could millions and millions all be lock-step in their opinions? It is obvious Blizzard is trying to respond to their customers - but how do you herd that many cats? I guess it is like Lincoln said:

"You can fool all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people, all of the time. And then the vampires come." .....or something like that.

• azzamasinazzamasin Butler, OHPosts: 3,066Member Uncommon

The frequency in which they buff, nerf, or tune classes is astonishingly bad.  Either they are inept or they are seeking the perfect balance.  My guess it's the latter but the issue is the loot has a far greater effect on the balance of the classes then their toolset ever will.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• RictisRictis UnknownPosts: 1,219Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by eccoton
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I think it is funny that back 3 to 4 years into the game Blizzard changed and added very little and people complained about the lack of change. Now they complain about change. I go back to something I have said many times. Most people did not leave because of change. They blame change as the reason since they don't want to face the fact that after nearly eight years they were simply bored. If WOW released in the state it is now and evolved into vanilla WOW people would be pissed and claimed they killed the game. People, eight years is a longtime to play any mmo even EQ. Blizzard has done a good job at trying to keep WOW fresh. Somethings worked some did not but over all WOW is a better experience now then back 6 years ago. You just got bored.

Yes and no, I don't think boredom is so much the problem as managing wants vs need. Change is not a bad thing, however knowing what change is necessary and what change is not is the keynote here. The major issues with WoW is not that they tried to change and be more competetive. Its that they applied the wrong changes which impacted the overall game. Anytime you make a change, you have to understand exactly what the change impacts in the long run. I think that Blizzard was trying to hard to compete to keep their game fresh, that they in turn ruined their game by making vast changes to systems that were not required. I could be a lot more specific but I am far too lazy to go over all of Blizzards blunders with WoW.

TLDR: Blizzards major blunder was focusing on fixing the now and not focused on fixing the what will happen down the road. Change is good, too much change is infectious and problematic. EQ suffered from going down this road to some extent, that in 2 expansions per year seperated the player base.

• RavenmaneRavenmane Pensacola, FLPosts: 246Member

The sad truth is the casual market is by far much larger than the hardcore market so ease of play is going to be a big factor.  Then when you have the subscription numbers like WoW has (it's not a trick, they actually keep track) they will cater to the larger crowd versus the smaller one.  Some opinions on the changes are just that...opinions.  But people tend to forget that (especially on this site where everybody thinks they are the final say on features).  I dislike the class changes.  I don't think it really makes you stand out anymore.  I do like the ease of leveling, especially after having a 90 that did everything on the vanilla leveling system per expansion pack.  It makes it easier and not so grindy to get another character up there.  I think it's a smart move to make gear easier to get because it keeps the population coming back. 

The reason it has huge numbers still is, for most, it was their first MMO.  It's like home to them.  It's where they grew up MMO'ing and they'll never forget the memories and sometimes they will go back to see how things are.  I enjoy WoW.  It is not my only MMO I subscribe to (Eve Online) and it still brings in new blood.  I seem to find a new WoW player almost daily which is impressive regarding its age.  But that's the other thing people don't like.  One of the biggest things I read about WoW when it comes to negative posts...its Age and how old it is.  So what?  It's an old game, who really cares?  I think some of the negativity is people enjoyed a game with a low pop that is newer and they hate seeing WoW's success.  And that's in every aspect of society.  We don't like seeing success where we, in our own opinions, don't want to see success.  So we will bash it as every turn.

WoW isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.  People need to get over that and just move on to whatever it is they enjoy playing.  IMO with the scrapping on the current build of Titan, and the additional hiring of artists and programmers they may eb working on two MMO projects.  Titan (whenever that'll be done) and WoW 2, or as I would probably call it Azeroth:  The Fourth Age.

"If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is probably the answer."