Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[POLL] If you could remove ONE Theme Park mechanic, which would you?

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Remove Global Chat

Voted quest hubs, but +1 for removing global chat.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • OfficialFlowOfficialFlow Member Posts: 111

well here i go

Feature = an asset to the game often something that makes the game unique or interesting and helps retain players or get new ones

Game Mechanic = "the way the game works" something that determines how some part of the game functions

well not like the OP got it wrong or anything.. just making things clear for others so that they dont mistakenly talk about features

if i had the power i would kill the whole genre called "theme park mmorpg"

the whole genre of MMORPG was not intented for casual players who want to storm through content like a bullet train they should stick to their tetris if they are not willing to invest the time and effort a real mmorpg requires. oh wait ...  i dont think there is any anymore

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

The main damage caused by themeparks in the mmo genre is the instanced content.

Instance are far the main "world breaker" of modern mmos. They let behind ghost cities, desert lands and transform mmos in mere lobby games.

• JaknifeJaknife Member Posts: 51

Bob.

Never liked him, he always smells of wee.

As a mechanic, his equipment is rusty, and that beard looks like a small family of birds live in it.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Casuals.

BOOOOMMM!!!!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I don't like heavily instanced worlds like neverwinter did. I can deal with quest hubs but it does detract from the explore experience and tends to funnel people into smaller areas. In some games however they are placed well and work if you don't mind doing them in the first place.

If a game is just 100% tiny instanced I don't feel like it's an mmo at all.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Dailies. As soon as that is all that is left to do I uninstall.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I don't like heavily instanced worlds like neverwinter did. I can deal with quest hubs but it does detract from the explore experience and tends to funnel people into smaller areas. In some games however they are placed well and work if you don't mind doing them in the first place.

If a game is just 100% tiny instanced I don't feel like it's an mmo at all.

Then don't play it as an MMO and enjoy it as an lobby game. I don't really care about what genre a game belongs to . only if it is fun.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Quest-quest-quest with chain quests being the most tiresome. At least let me sub out my quests to other players if we're going to stay locked in 2004 forever. :p

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    if you dont like themepark mmos why does it matter what features they have?
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I picked Quest Hubs but getting rid of all four options would suit me just fine.
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

Get rid of everything until all that is left is the ONE TRUE MMO! Right guys!

Death to Themeparks and death to the majority!!!!!!

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Can't I choose all four of those? ;-p
  • azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

x-server queues that zone you into instances. hands down. every time. 9001 days a week.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

I voted for the quest hub. While I do not mind quests in MMOs, it is my belief that the quest hubs for leveling so fragment the gaming population that you end up playing a single player game to level cap.

I would replace the quest leveling mechanic with quests which do not give out any xp reward. Instead if  a dev wants to give out faction, items and or money that is o.k. with me, provided the factioning itself does not become a secondary leveling mechanic or form of alternate advancement. If that is the case in a game design then I would not give out faction as a reward for questing but find another way to give out faction gains.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by lizardbones

What would you replace the item with? My gut instinct is to remove quest hubs, but not if it's replaced with mob grinds.

You could replace them with dynamic events, or have a random quest director for every player that is programed to generate quests based on location, climate, level, group, and every other encounter setting you could think of being in a modern 2013 game.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

IMO who do people hate these features?  Because they hate, not being Uber.  They see these game features as giving everyone what only belongs to them. Without these features they imagine that they alone will lord over all other in game.

Quest Hub allow everyone to find quest and level in a timely manner.  If there were no quest hubs, only a select few would be able to find quest and reach max level.  These elite Max level players would rule at PvE and PvP, and defeat ever lesser player.  They would be envy by all, as they should be, but aren’t in real life.

Raids give out Uber loot on a silver platter to everyone.  This was my first idea of why they hate raids.  The real reason, is gear-score.  They can’t get in on these raids because they don’t have the gear-score.  If the raid was open world, and non-instanced, they could swoop in and kill-steal the raid boss and get the uber loot drop.

Why does everyone hate the Trinity?  Because they hate Healers.  They are in the middle of PvP, and have the enemy down to 20% health.  Along comes a Healer, and the enemy is back up to 100% health.  The joy of being Uber is snatched from their hands.  Therefore the Trinity is bad.  If they try and kill a Healer,  we will just bubble and go invulnerable.  Then cast a fear on them, they hate losing control of their character.  They feel so vulnerable.

Faction Grind is just another path for Uber loot on a silver platter for unworth players, players who achieve faction from PvE.  So who wouldn’t enjoy faction based combat?  Lazy gamers?

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

I voted other and without having looked I am certain I can not be the first to say that Zone chat needs to go.  Yeah, it's interesting to watch sometimes when you're bored and lonely, but most of the time it is the single most annoying thing in any game I play.  People just don't know what to say out loud and what should be kept to themselves anymore, and if I have to listen to one more disgruntled democrat/republican/christian/atheist/caucasion/african american/unhappy husband/wife/attention whore, while I am trying to pretend that I am some kind of damn wizard/warrior/priest/theif/superhero/spaceman I am going to go nuts!!

Who cares what you think?  Play the damn game!!

It's like having telepathy when you don't want it and can't control it.

And no, I don't want to /ignore half the server, that's work.

And no, I don't want to turn off the channel because, because of its existence, it makes getting certain information any other way impossible.

Turn it off entirely though and suddenly we have real life communication.  Grapevines, stories, and the like.

So yeah, that's my thing.

Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Remove Global Chat

Boom! Didn't even make it passed page 2.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I chose other for the Dungeon finder...this has ruined the world for me. Makes all games feel like a lobby game.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by akiira69
    Players telling the Developers how to do their jobs. They dont come to where you work and tell you how to do yours. So dont tell them how to do theirs.

This is so untrue.  In this day and age of the twitterverse, cable news, and the internet, pretty much EVERYONE is telling EVERYONE how to do their jobs.  Don't try to pretend that no developer has ever filled out a comment card at a hotel, or called someone's manager at some retail establishment when they felt the clerk got it wrong.  Hell, developers even come here and tell other developers how to do their jobs.  We got blogs of the stuff to prove it.  So in this I disagree.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Restricted movement. What's the point of having a world that's supposed to be immersive, when you can only move forwards and backwards, because in any other direction are invisible and visible walls blocking your path.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

Quest hubs.

Without them there is too little busy work for players to overlook the poor gameplay.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Let's just say in a hypothetical sense that the rest of the MMOs coming out in the future will strictly follow the usual theme park  format of quest hubs, raids, trinity, faction grinds and what-not.  If the devs actually took a poll on one mechanic the general player base is tired off seeing and that they would remove, which would you choose?

insta travel everywhere which makes it a lobby game.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ksternalksternal Member UncommonPosts: 85
    For me, it had to be raids as I never was able to get on them because of the ridiculous times people set them up at night or getting enough people to actually run them.