Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Saying Goodbye to Beta 3

Comments

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    The game's combat and "story" content is pretty boring until level 10 maybe 15 or so.  I told my wife, it's going to be hard for people to stick with it that long.  Wish more game companies would implore the GW2 technique of starting the game off with a bang, instead i nearly quit a good game because i had to kill sheep for a an hour. 
  • dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by Serondar

It would probably be because almost everyone that starts the combat isn't enjoyable statements immediately starts comparisons to GW2, TSW,Tera, Neverwinter  or some similar trash.

As we all know enjoyment is subjective and I enjoy it. In some ways its like a nice and plain old sorely missed glass of water. Nothing too fancy and does what it supposed to just fine.

If the action combat guys don't like it they can keep ramming red bulls down their throats till their kidneys are mush and scream "I am having a great time" whilst doing it.

Can't wait for beta 4

No, no they don't. People say they don't enjoy the combat and THEN the rebuttal that is thrown at them is that FFXIV isn't  <insert list of games here>.

It doesn't matter what the combat style is. It is simply not engaging, at all, to a large number of people. I'm one of those. I even enjoy LotRO's combat, which is notorious for being slow paced, and I find FFXIV's combat far less enjoyable than it.

The main issue is that the pace of combat is TOO tightly controlled. It's less noticable on classes like pug/monk that have a bunch of stuff that sits outside the GCD. However, for classes like Conj and Glad, you're practically moving to the beat of a drum.

Let me emphasis that I don't think combat is too slow. I enjoy Wizard101, so I obviously don't care much about speed. :-p But they need to do something to make combat more enjoyable, and there are a lot of suggestions on the beta board from people trying to do just that.

<3

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    The character models look a bit dated to me. How do they look in game compared to the screen shots?  How about the focus of the game is it end game gear focused like say Wow? Does crafting play a big part in this? Player shops and or housing?

they look far better then they do in the screen shots,  FAR better!! I know first had, the Body Physics are awesome to  *wink*wink.

also Cloth Physics.    you can zoom into a toons armor and it doesn't looke all pixel like it looks nice even upclose!!

the focus is the story, but you can also do so much with Grand Companies,  NPC guilds and earn armor, and mount armor, also weapons,  and many other things,

then Player Guilds or, Free Companies,   where you and your Guild can do Guild Hest"AKA Guild Quests, for really nice XP and Gil,  and help lvl the Guild for extra Perks.

there is the really in-depth Crafting,  also housing.    and don't get me started on the instances, the boss fights are amazing!!

and there is some Gear grind,   but at early lvls you will barely notice it.

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by dontadow
    The game's combat and "story" content is pretty boring until level 10 maybe 15 or so.  I told my wife, it's going to be hard for people to stick with it that long.  Wish more game companies would implore the GW2 technique of starting the game off with a bang, instead i nearly quit a good game because i had to kill sheep for a an hour. 

1: GW2 is boring,  not trying to be rude I just feel it was boring,

2:  in FF XIV ARR,  if you were killing sheep for 1 hour your doing something wrong.

I killed sheep for like 5 mins  then moved on, and did more story quests, and earned my Chocobo on day 2. of Beta 3 Phase 1.

FFXIV: ARR is far more exciting them you give it credit.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by Alminie
    The character models look a bit dated to me. How do they look in game compared to the screen shots?  How about the focus of the game is it end game gear focused like say Wow? Does crafting play a big part in this? Player shops and or housing?

they look far better then they do in the screen shots,  FAR better!! I know first had, the Body Physics are awesome to  *wink*wink.

also Cloth Physics.    you can zoom into a toons armor and it doesn't looke all pixel like it looks nice even upclose!!

the focus is the story, but you can also do so much with Grand Companies,  NPC guilds and earn armor, and mount armor, also weapons,  and many other things,

then Player Guilds or, Free Companies,   where you and your Guild can do Guild Hest"AKA Guild Quests, for really nice XP and Gil,  and help lvl the Guild for extra Perks.

there is the really in-depth Crafting,  also housing.    and don't get me started on the instances, the boss fights are amazing!!

and there is some Gear grind,   but at early lvls you will barely notice it.

You had me at body physics :P  Kidding aside thanks for the information.

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Originally posted by OrochiBebop

Can't seem to understand why when someone says the combat isn't enjoyable everyone's initial reaction is "THIS IS NOT TERA"... It doesn't have to be... I love Action MMORPGs... But I still love games like DBO, and Rift. I for one am able to ignore aspects of a game if as a whole I enjoy it. And I will most definitely admit, Combat is not enjoyable it's boring. It's just a tool for me to move forward. Rift one the other which is not an action MMORPG has very enjoyable combat and it gets me really engage unlike FF ARR on another hand I love the crafting in this game so much fun :D

My Two Cents, My Opinion

Rifts combat system enjoyable?? you must be joking... the game has one of the most uncoordinated and slow combat systems I have played. very disjointed.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Ralstlin
    There are a lot of Street Fighter Mortal Kombat Tekken MMORPG games. Rolling in the floor like a gimnastic with a Full Plate Armor, or Tanking in bikini.

I wish that were true, but I don't see any major MMORPG having Street Fighter/Tekken combat.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

FF ARR is turning out to be quite a mmo.

Dint expected it, but after playing the 1st 2 beta weekend 3's i was sold.

Yes like any mmo you start with basic skills and it can feel like spamming 1 or 2 buttons, but once you level over that the game realy opens up some nice ability's and combo's.

Realy impressed with Naoki Yoshida, that man deserves a medal and his own statue :)

• MagefistMagefist Member Posts: 13
    I'd say Release is September 4th.
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Insert comment pointless comment berating game with no further explanation here.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• CountVasekCountVasek Member Posts: 1

I wouldn't personally say that the battle system is boring but I am hoping for a bit more tweaking.  I'll admit I'm not a huge MMO'er and I haven't played since earlier FFXI (started at ps2 release and played til Treasures basically) and while I do love many of the changes.  The crafting/gathering logs being really amazing.  I'm a lil disappointed in the battle system.

A.  It's not quite hard enough to force crappy players to get better.  Rolling WHM through dungeons up to Haukke was a very mish mash of party elements.  Great tank we usually did fine.  ARC or THM/BLM goin nuts on dmg + shitty tank was a night mare.   Handling adds was a nightmare.  Healing was definitely not as fun as I'd hoped (regen where?!?! wtf)

While I wouldn't want to trade back to XI for many many things one thing I do greatly miss are skillchains and bursts.  There were just few things more gratifying than setting up a chain that started 3-4s after the mage started their burst spell.  The timing, coordination, and the damage were just mmm delicious.  I'm hoping there's more to the end game battles (my other complaint being the complete zerg tactic that's employed now... I'd like to see some areas were camp/pull party tactics are a competitive XP option.  As an old THF I feel very nerfed in my skillset just cycling my pops and such.

I'm chalking any distaste for 'it gets better' or it's worth the trade off but I do get the 'boring'ness of the battle system.  The only thing that matters is mob aoe and attacking from the flank... all those hours of lining up the mob and dropping hate on it as THF requiring placement and precision, I know it won't be the same but i'd like to see a bit more to the battle system than what it felt like in p3.  just my thoughts.

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

Do you at least get to raise Chocobo's from Egg's ?  breeding them for different types ?

I think raising chocobo's was the best part of FF7 haha and it wasn't very easy to get the top ones

=)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

The most worthwhile comment I can give is that I had more fun and used more long-acquired skills in the first 3 dungeons of ARR than I have since Burning Crusade WoW.

Burn phases, switching to adds, focus fire, CC, limit breaks (timed long cooldown skills pretty much)...

I miss the days of DPS having to actually pay attention, focus fire, assign a Main Assist, avoid pulling aggro...

The dungeon'ing experience reminded me so very much of Vanilla / early BC WoW - I loved every second of it.

That was my greatest take away from B3 - dungeons are really, really well done.

I also affirmed my decision to roll Lancer at launch initially, I love the class.

Crafting is interesting, as are the gathering specific classes.

Questing is good, the stories I actually like and enjoyed reading the text.

The game ran pretty good on PS3 and I could use a USB keyboard for chat (which is awesome).

I can't wait for OB (4) - not regretting my CE PS3 pre-order one bit.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by BadSpock

The most worthwhile comment I can give is that I had more fun and used more long-acquired skills in the first 3 dungeons of ARR than I have since Burning Crusade WoW.

You have me interested with this comment. BC and before is when Wow was at the top of its game. I signed up for beta 4 with the hopes of getting to try it out first hand. Anyone know if there is going to be a open beta?  When is FF14 going to launch?

Sheep the quests. Cows. Mushrooms. That was till about level 8 Doing. The game has slow leveling and doesn't speed up as you get higher.

I like the game and trying to use objective language. when I say boring I mean the game was not exciting nothing amazing big are fantastic happened in the beginning or as with GW you are thrown into a war zone and I are fighting massive creature in the first 10 minutes. Also combat Joyce's are very limited where ass in GW again within the first hour you can have some 25 different abilities you can do. Instead they use the overused got of f a ship thing.
    Think about how most ff or rpgs begin. That did not happen
  • LeviathonlxLeviathonlx Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by Magefist
    I'd say Release is September 4th.

Do realize they announced the release date of Aug 27th almost 2 months ago right?

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    My pc just gave its last breath, im glad i get too play this on ps3.
  • ilikepielolilikepielol Member Posts: 9

About how Limit Breaks are filled up; it really is how the tool tip and they suggest it is.  Playing well is things such as stunning the enemy when they're casting something, or debuffing them immediately after they buff themselves.  It's these sort of things that usually require breaking from your combo chain and as such are rewarded with an addition to the limit gauge. 

I know this for sure because as a Lancer I would stun whenever I noticed them casting and the bar would jump up some, as well as debuff them with an attack speed decrease as soon as I noticed they casted haste on themselves.

• Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97
    I salivate thinking about this game, but I am ignoring it other than putting the money down to make sure its all new and fresh. This game is like my dream MMO, its like FFXI all over again except much less irritation and heartache.
  • versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

Holy shit...

Someone on this site can actually write O.O

• AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334

Good write-up!

Naturally, the usual complaints from the usual complainers didn't take long to show up, but that's to be expected. "What? Something positive being said about a game I don't like? Well, we just can't have that..." -cue the typing of the same old and overused complaints...-

Anyway.. Regarding things that help to fill the Limit Break bar, I can confirm that successfully canceling a mob's/boss's major attacks with a stun-effect move definitely bumps it up very noticeably. I make it a habit to stun those attacks every opportunity I have, and it definitely makes a difference.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I enjoyed the article. Nice read and I am looking forward to the launch also!

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Great game, good solid features.

Excited to see where this all goes. I hope Aug 2nd.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Originally posted by BadSpock

You have me interested with this comment. BC and before is when Wow was at the top of its game. I signed up for beta 4 with the hopes of getting to try it out first hand. Anyone know if there is going to be a open beta?  When is FF14 going to launch?

Phase 4 is open beta, and the official launch date is augest 27. There will be an early access if you preorder the colecters edition though. Early access is around 5 days it seems.

Phase 4 is only gona be for 1 week, but character data gets carried over. It wont start any earlier than Aug 9th.