Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massively: "...SOE wouldn't want to cannibalize its other games for customers and instead will look

Comments

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372
    so why put the EverQuest name on it if they arent, at least in part, going for EQ fanbase?
  • evictonevicton Member Posts: 398
    Originally posted by tokini
    so why put the EverQuest name on it if they arent, at least in part, going for EQ fanbase?

Well the everquest name is a name that would make people who never played there original and eq2 take notice.

Also would not be the first time SOE sticks the EQ name on a game that outside of lore/setting has very little in common with EQ/EQ2. See Everquest: Champions of Norrath.

Unless SOE, MMORPG, and Massively are all lying 'about how different' this game is from everything out. I fully expect a flood of posts on 8/2 screaming about how this game is too different to carry the Everquest name.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by evicton
    would not be the first time SOE sticks the EQ name on a game that outside of lore/setting has very little in common with EQ/EQ2. See Everquest: Champions of Norrath.

or the EQ RTS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lords_of_EverQuest

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I wouldn't buy this not going for EQ fan base too much, they also said it would be familiar to those that played EQ...It will be a different type of game, but it will still be a EQ fantasy world/mmo, set in Norrath. 

It will just be different, like EQ2 is not EQ...People get attached to their gaming world, and do not wish to leave all that they have worked towards.  So no matter if EQN was basically a reskinned EQ clone, people would still stay and play EQ.

We will see in a week, I am just hoping the newest greatest thing is something that I can get into.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by ignore_me

This is troubling in a way, because you would think that if you liked the Other EQ games then you would naturally want to move to the new and improved product. I hope he was just trying to be diplomatic here, because if EQNext is not an improvement and superior to the previous games, it's a waste of time. 

Another company tried this with a big IP, they put out a successor that was terrible compared to the original game. It lost 75% of its pop in the first few months and is generally considered to be a failure. What a stupid idea, lets make a new game and make it inferior to its predecessor, that way players have an immediate comparison to see how bad the fucking thing is.

*cough* AC2 *cough*

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    If this was really true, not saying they want to shut down EQ1 & EQ2, they would have made the new MMO a different IP. They know that no matter what some will leave EQ1 and EQ2 to join a new EQ title. How many? Only the launch of the game will tell. Heck this forum is filled with EQ fans. 
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

Everquest is a franchise and setting, not just a game. The EQ fanbase is made of at least two sub-group: people who like the gameplay/themepark approach and those who care more about the setting and lore. EQNext being a sandbox is mostly targeting the fan of the setting and lore, not the themepark fans of the franchise.

And I'm totally expecting EQN to have major backlash come August 2, some people seems to be blind to all the "largest sandbox ever", "extremely different from all the MMOs around", "We scrapped Everquest 2.5 and 3 designs",etc that show up in interviews since 2010.

Originally posted by azarhal

Everquest is a franchise and setting, not just a game. The EQ fanbase is made of at least two sub-group: people who like the gameplay/themepark approach and those who care more about the setting and lore. EQNext being a sandbox is mostly targeting the fan of the setting and lore, not the themepark fans of the franchise.

And I'm totally expecting EQN to have major backlash come August 2, some people seems to be blind to all the "largest sandbox ever", "extremely different from all the MMOs around", "We scrapped Everquest 2.5 and 3 designs",etc that show up in interviews since 2010.

I dont think the boxes EQ fans fit in neat and tidy boxes like that.  

• ZolbZolb Member UncommonPosts: 53

I agree with the huge backlash in a week or so's time, however I expect it to come from the (openworld) PvP group and those expecting some sort of utopia sandbox.

You only have to look at all the "what is a sandbox or do you want in a sandbox" type of threads thats been posted on this site over the months/years and none of those people can even agree what they actually want or what you have to have in this type of MMO, then look at some of the expectations people are talking about with nothing to base any of thing on, just a few cherry picked, miss quoted snippets from twitter.

However i do hope EQN is a good game and one that i can get into, no matter what style of play it leans towards!

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Some do, that's why I said I least two sub-group, beside people will always gravitate toward gameplay or settings more. I'm in the setting group personally, I love EQ lore and characters, but I don't give a damn about the gameplay in the games...which is why I do not play them, but follow Everquest news.

Some do, that's why I said I least two sub-group, beside people will always gravitate toward gameplay or settings more. I'm in the setting group personally, I love EQ lore and characters, but I don't give a damn about the gameplay in the games...which is why I do not play them, but follow Everquest news.

Still think you are over simplifying things. Its like food, there are people who like the meal and others that like the desert. No. Some come from the appetizer and some so hard core about appetizers they will order 3 of them for dinner. Some come for the coffee but will order a meal. Some come from the fine wine and others for the cheep pitcher of beer. 

MMOs are made up of so many things it cant come to just 2 things. I have played games I hated raiding but stuck around for the crafting and the player economy. My wife loved EQ2 for just one reason, the housing and long after we left the game she kept playing just to keep her house. Its not as simple as you put it.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

The more I read, the more this game is looking like it's all a big marketing hype fest based on name recognition and nostalgia. What about this game is going to be EQ in the sense of what made EQ "EQ"? Very little. But lets face it. What would be the hype factor if they took this EXACT new game they are making and called it Vanguard Next?  Hey, this could be an awesome game. But does that make it "EQ"? Especially if it's like what BadSpock said. SWG II, but they can't call it that now can they? (No, I'm not predicting SWG II, just using that as an example)

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

The more I read, the more this game is looking like it's all a big marketing hype fest based on name recognition and nostalgia. What about this game is going to be EQ in the sense of what made EQ "EQ"? Very little. But lets face it. What would be the hype factor if they took this EXACT new game they are making and called it Vanguard Next?  Hey, this could be an awesome game. But does that make it "EQ"?

YOU have made it clear you are not interested in this game. You have made it clear you dont want to play this game. You have made it clear you dont like the payment model. So the question remains, why do you keep posting negative comments? Are you trying to troll? Or do you have some other agenda we are missing? I know you are a fan of FF14, is it fun when people go there to bash that game and say go play x,y,z game? Let the fans have their fun and talk about the game they want to play and talk about it and you should do the same. Just my two cents.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

The more I read, the more this game is looking like it's all a big marketing hype fest based on name recognition and nostalgia. What about this game is going to be EQ in the sense of what made EQ "EQ"? Very little. But lets face it. What would be the hype factor if they took this EXACT new game they are making and called it Vanguard Next?  Hey, this could be an awesome game. But does that make it "EQ"?

SOE wants to use the "Everquest" name because it's still the IP people associate with SOE the most.  The Everquest fanbase is the largest fanbase they have of all their games.   Everquest is SOE's cashcow, and they will want to milk it for as long as possible.  

Just as EQ2 launched looking nothing like EQ1, SOE is wanting to use the EQ name again for recognition.  They've contradicted themselves plenty of times, by saying it's gonna be something nobody has seen before and that it was going to be the best sandbox game ever.  Yet at the same time they are pleading to their Everquest fanbase by saying it's going to feel like EQ.  I don't see how they can have it both ways, and while on this subject, which EQ are people going to be more familiar with?  EQ1 or EQ2?  Because the two games are nothing alike.

I just wish they would show the game already, already tired of the hype.  Hype usually comes with something to show for.  This is one of the few games where hype is based on words and more words.  At least flash me some videos and pictures, let me decide if the game is worth hyping or not.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

The more I read, the more this game is looking like it's all a big marketing hype fest based on name recognition and nostalgia. What about this game is going to be EQ in the sense of what made EQ "EQ"? Very little. But lets face it. What would be the hype factor if they took this EXACT new game they are making and called it Vanguard Next?  Hey, this could be an awesome game. But does that make it "EQ"? Especially if it's like what BadSpock said. SWG II, but they can't call it that now can they? (No, I'm not predicting SWG II, just using that as an example)

The funny thing is, Geezer, that SOE has done very little of this marketing hype.   We, the fan base, have generated almost all of the hype this game is getting.   From speculation threads, to discussions about what we want/expect from EQN, to debates about the nature of an MMORPG actually is, this has all been generated by the MMORPG community.   SOE has put precious little into marketing this game so far.   The hype was in full bloom long before SOE debuted the officual EQN website.  Sony's contribution has been a few hints and quotes (which have been misquoted and interpreted in a hundred different ways).   There are precious few facts, and two websites 'blind' recommendations based on a private, not for public release presentation.

Either Sony's marketing department is amazingly clever, or maybe they are the most overpaid people in the industry.   Either way, it's working.

August 2 can't get here soon enough.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Originally posted by Mendel

The funny thing is, Geezer, that SOE has done very little of this marketing hype.   We, the fan base, have generated almost all of the hype this game is getting.   From speculation threads, to discussions about what we want/expect from EQN, to debates about the nature of an MMORPG actually is, this has all been generated by the MMORPG community.   SOE has put precious little into marketing this game so far.   The hype was in full bloom long before SOE debuted the officual EQN website.  Sony's contribution has been a few hints and quotes (which have been misquoted and interpreted in a hundred different ways).   There are precious few facts, and two websites 'blind' recommendations based on a private, not for public release presentation.

Either Sony's marketing department is amazingly clever, or maybe they are the most overpaid people in the industry.   Either way, it's working.

Hype starts with the company, did you think it was an accident that they had private showing for the press only?  Or was it an accident that Smed pleaded to their EQ fanbase by saying how they would be familiar with the game?  It was definitely no accident when Smed gave shoutout to Everquest's raider/hardcore playerbase by talking about how he would cater to them as well.

Or how Smed talked about the game being the biggest and best sandbox game ever?  He knows what would generate hype, any talk about launching the biggest sandbox game would generate hype.

There are no accidents, these are info they released in a calculated manner, and specific things said to poke at the hype meter.  Starving players of actual info is what generates hype, and they know it.

Originally posted by Mardy
    Originally posted by Mendel

Hype starts with the company, did you think it was an accident that they had private showing for the press only?  Or was it an accident that Smed pleaded to their EQ fanbase by saying how they would be familiar with the game?  It was definitely no accident when Smed gave shoutout to Everquest's raider/hardcore playerbase by talking about how he would cater to them as well.

Or how Smed talked about the game being the biggest and best sandbox game ever?  He knows what would generate hype, any talk about launching the biggest sandbox game would generate hype.

There are no accidents, these are info they released in a calculated manner, and specific things said to poke at the hype meter.  Starving players of actual info is what generates hype, and they know it.

Where is the line we say a company is over hyping there game? When they say to much? When the give just little hints of what they are working on? When they tell us no details and its in a black box? When they only tell us whats its not? (((eye roll))) Get a grip. SoE has done very little to hype this game. They have made no more contact then to keep the fan base feel connected. You really are reaching here.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

YOU have made it clear you are not interested in this game. You have made it clear you dont want to play this game. You have made it clear you dont like the payment model. So the question remains, why do you keep posting negative comments? Are you trying to troll? Or do you have some other agenda we are missing? I know you are a fan of FF14, is it fun when people go there to bash that game and say go play x,y,z game? Let the fans have their fun and talk about the game they want to play and talk about it and you should do the same. Just my two cents.

What exactly is clear? That I am not buying into the hype of the game or that I don't want to play the game? No, I don't like the business model. But that is mostly based on very loose descriptions of this game. I have always qualified my statements. I am less worried in P2W items as I am about Real money to gold conversions. In a game where everything is crafted, that becomes very difficult to aviod an indirect P2W situation. So, expressing my concern for that contingency means I hate the game dose it? Well, OK. So the only thing that is clear are your own assumptions. I am being VERY cautious in my approach to this game and I have no issues expressing my concerns. I do/did the same for GW2. Last year at this time I was also expressing my concerns in the very same fashion against the white knights who HAD to have THE next game. Well guess what? I was right about a lot of my concerns. I still played the game. I played it and enjoyed it a lot. I played it in fact, longer than some of those white knights. Yet last year I was also branded a hater of that game.

So here we are history repeating itself. I am looking at threads that say EQN will be the best MMO ever and I am not allowed to say "Hey! Wait a minute here!"? without being branded again? Well whatever. I do have the ability to dislike aspects of a game and yet still play the game. So please don't tell me what is clear about my intentions when it's something you concocted in your head because you don't want to hear what I have to say. Especially since what I just said is the truth.

If I wasn't interested in this game, I wouldn't be here trying to get a realistic picture of what this game will be. I'm sorry if  my filtering out all the bullshit offends you, but right now, 90% of the info circulating about this game is just that.

Where is the line we say a company is over hyping there game? 

Easy, over-hyping is talking about a game without showing it.  Then promise to show the game at the fan faire, only to use the excuse that they're revamping it all so they could once again keep people in the dark.  But not all of us are ignorant, as if they could revamp a game in just 1 year.  They've hyped it long enough with pretty much nothing to show for.  They gave us ONE picture to look at before they called a revamp last year at the fan faire.

It's over-hyping when a company talks about having the BIGGEST and BEST sandbox game.  Biggest and best, those are usually words used by companies not afraid to show what they've got.

They know by not showing the game, people can only generate good hype.  It's only after they show the game, that people can critique it and generate negative response. Without seeing anything, everybody's only got positive things to spin up in their minds because everybody just loves to see the next biggest sandbox game come out.

Just look at this forum, mention sandbox, and you'll have a 20+ page replies of everybody cheering for one.

Originally posted by Mardy

Where is the line we say a company is over hyping there game? 

Easy, over-hyping is talking about a game without showing it.  Then promise to show the game at the fan faire, only to use the excuse that they're revamping it all so they could once again keep people in the dark.  But not all of us are ignorant, as if they could revamp a game in just 1 year.  They've hyped it long enough with pretty much nothing to show for.  They gave us ONE picture to look at before they called a revamp last year at the fan faire.

It's over-hyping when a company talks about having the BIGGEST and BEST sandbox game.  Biggest and best, those are usually words used by companies not afraid to show what they've got.

They know by not showing the game, people can only generate good hype.  It's only after they show the game, that people can critique it and generate negative response. Without seeing anything, everybody's only got positive things to spin up in their minds because everybody just loves to see the next biggest sandbox game come out.

Just look at this forum, mention sandbox, and you'll have a 20+ page replies of everybody cheering for one.

In my 15 years of MMOing, SoE is handling this in a way of not making waves. They have said no more then the basics of what they are trying to make. I have seen games over hyped, prim eg is Warhammer. You want to know what over hype from a company is thats a perfect eg. SoE didnt even tell us what kinda of game they were making till a few months from SoE live. They only opened a web page for the game within the last month. This is the least under hyped (by a company) game I have seen in 15 years. Most companies start talking details and sharing pics 2 years from release. You need to give your head a shake.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554

Finally someone who isn't grasping at straws to prove this will be EverQuest 3. Thank you.

Is it bad that after posting here for weeks I'm starting to look forward to the backlash?

Originally posted by Bidwood

Is it bad that after posting here for weeks I'm starting to look forward to the backlash?

No. I'm already preparing my popcorn party. I think I'm waiting for the backlash more than for the game reveal itself by now.

Too many contradicting "wants" and "needs" for EQNext current "fans", it's impossible to avoid the great collide of all of these. I expect a glorious crash of ideas.

• AffordableAffordable Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Bidwood

Finally someone who isn't grasping at straws to prove this will be EverQuest 3. Thank you.

Oh yeah. Can't wait to see the tears of all the EQ carebears.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Exactly, I love the EQ lore and setting, but am worn down on the same old end game grind. Currently playing EQ2 as a level locked PvP character and having a blast, but hoping for something new from EQN.
  • BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554

Wow, three posts in a row I agree with...  this is unusual.

Let's have a celebration thread when it happens.