Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Allowing or stopping multiboxing.

12346»

Comments

• moonrunnermoonrunner Member Posts: 21
    The only multiboxing I ever ran into was mostly in DOAC and it was usually people playing there primary toon and boxing a much needed healer class as there where never enough healers around to make a proper group. every one knew it and everone was glad to have em or it would of been "fail team" time.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by moonrunner
    The only multiboxing I ever ran into was mostly in DOAC and it was usually people playing there primary toon and boxing a much needed healer class as there where never enough healers around to make a proper group. every one knew it and everone was glad to have em or it would of been "fail team" time.

So you are telling me that people multiboxed to have "companions/mercenaries" in their teams. In other word, the issue would have been fixed if the game allow players to use companions/mercenaries like a few games (Neverwinter, SWTOR, etc) are currently doing...

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613

The "issue" would be solved if todays games would stop being dumbed down to a point of pure boredom.

Multiboxing is a way to fight the boredom coming from content that is designed to be facerolled while being drunk, afk AND asleap at the same time. For me anyways.
    So bring back challenge, bring back mechanics that keep me on my toes and bring back the feeling that i need 100% of my skill to play ONE toon. Then and only then will i stop multiboxing.

Then again... releasing dumbed down content is cheaper and having me pay 2+ subscriptions is more income. So i guess ill keep boxing to get some enjoyment out of current gen games of mass appeal.

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Zaradoom

The "issue" would be solved if todays games would stop being dumbed down to a point of pure boredom.

Multiboxing is a way to fight the boredom coming from content that is designed to be facerolled while being drunk, afk AND asleap at the same time. For me anyways.
    So bring back challenge, bring back mechanics that keep me on my toes and bring back the feeling that i need 100% of my skill to play ONE toon. Then and only then will i stop multiboxing.

Then again... releasing dumbed down content is cheaper and having me pay 2+ subscriptions is more income. So i guess ill keep boxing to get some enjoyment out of current gen games of mass appeal.

Try Final Fantasy XIV end game, you cannot multibox it and live.

• RattenmannRattenmann Member UncommonPosts: 613
    The game also needs to be fun in the first place tho... something FF14 lacks sadly ;)

MMOs finally replaced social interaction, forced grouping and standing in a line while talking to eachother.

Now we have forced soloing, forced questing and everyone is the hero, without ever having to talk to anyone else. The evolution of multiplayer is here! We won,... right?

• PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I think that you should be able to do it if you want but I would like to see a game designed were people wouldn't feel they needed to multi box ever.  I am sure it will be allowed more accounts = more money, at the end of the day that's what the gaming company's want.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Zaradoom
    The game also needs to be fun in the first place tho... something FF14 lacks sadly ;)

Is FF14 popular now?

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by Stromm

I played WoW from 2004 to 2013, multiboxing had exacly zero impact on the game for me.

Maybe not to you, but to others they may question this practice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amDdn8Iiqc0

Now I wasted his ego time with an 1hr 30mins AV before, by letting him essentially preen himself camping one area (as seen in the video...and you won't see that video where I led our team on his channel, either), as despite I have multiple clients and can multibox with them, I don't appreciate 30 toons from one account allowed to play. That robs players of slots forcing them to wait longer in instances, and it's incredibly difficult to kill a player who can 1 shot players as fast as s/he can target. It can be done, but very difficult especially in PuGs.

Now Blizzard later broke the ability to have 30 toons from one account log into an instance, but not before seeing that mess. He's still allowed to multibox to that extreme in world content, and that's the stuff that needs to go. WoW raids are limited to 40 players per team. 30 is essentially all the team, with 1 player controlling it all.

It's wrong.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

I personally dont care about multiboxing, unless its used as a tool to grief or disrupt the economy.  I do mind say a guy dragging his other character around without it contributing to a group. 

The poster above posted a link for PreparedWoW  he is getting up to 60 characters and he uses it to cause major disruptions to other people.   I feel players like that have no place in the game.   I did enjoy some of his exploits at first but after a while it just gets old and repetitive.

• PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103

Looks like a win for multiboxers of Everquest Next!  See you all in game, Sony Online Entertainment will now make a huge profit and will have a fun gaming experience for everyone!  Glad to see the right decision was made!  I will multibox 40 accounts and will pay the subscription for All Access Pass so that I can also multibox Everquest and Everquest II!

• redgang1redgang1 Member Posts: 35

You're kidding yourself if you think EQN will end up group centered like they claim it will.

There will be no need to box in yet another mostly solo MMO.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by redgang1

You're kidding yourself if you think EQN will end up group centered like they claim it will.

I know right, all devs are liars and everything they say never happens. Can't believe they even try to fool us, haha they are so silly. I doubt it will have combat, or mobs, or trees or anything. Probably just going to be a black screen that makes my computer crash. Dam devs!

Random player's opinion based on.... > dev statements always and forever. 

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    As long as they dont bot them. If a player is controling them I am fine with it. I used to run 3 accounts in EQ1 myself and sometimes a 4th when my friend was not home lol
  • Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

They don't have to make the game "Group centered".  This is a sort of strange false dichotomy that many players make, and many MMOs fail to understand while they're being developed.  That a game is either solo focused or group focused and that there's no middle ground.

The only thing EQN really has to deliver is choice.  Take ESO for example. There is no choice.  You have to do the solo content in order to progress your character.  Group content is barely an after-thought and even if you were content running the small amount of group based content that you have available over and over, you'd still hit a point where you have to go back and do solo-type content to progress.  Even worst is that the solo content is a much faster way to level than the group content.  So not only are you forced to do solo content, you're basically penalized for choosing to do group content.

EQN simply needs to stick with horizontal progression system they have talked about, which makes the entire world viable content regardless of how long you've played, then divide it up into solo, group and raid type content.  Then never require that any one of those types are needed to progress your character.

If I want to log in every day and do group content with my friends, I should always be able to do so.  If I want to play solo content, I should have access to it.  If I want to raid to get cool new gear, I should be able to do so, or alternatively be able to solo grind a lot of cash and coin to buy raid dropped gear from other players.

If they can provide anywhere near this level of freedom, they will have a real winner on their hands.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Gallus85

They don't have to make the game "Group centered".  This is a sort of strange false dichotomy that many players make, and many MMOs fail to understand while they're being developed.  That a game is either solo focused or group focused and that there's no middle ground.

The only thing EQN really has to deliver is choice.  Take ESO for example. There is no choice.  You have to do the solo content in order to progress your character.  Group content is barely an after-thought and even if you were content running the small amount of group based content that you have available over and over, you'd still hit a point where you have to go back and do solo-type content to progress.  Even worst is that the solo content is a much faster way to level than the group content.  So not only are you forced to do solo content, you're basically penalized for choosing to do group content.

EQN simply needs to stick with horizontal progression system they have talked about, which makes the entire world viable content regardless of how long you've played, then divide it up into solo, group and raid type content.  Then never require that any one of those types are needed to progress your character.

If I want to log in every day and do group content with my friends, I should always be able to do so.  If I want to play solo content, I should have access to it.  If I want to raid to get cool new gear, I should be able to do so, or alternatively be able to solo grind a lot of cash and coin to buy raid dropped gear from other players.

If they can provide anywhere near this level of freedom, they will have a real winner on their hands.

I think a good MMO has group and solo content but IMO where ESO failed is that solo content forces you to do it solo. SWToR did a great job of letting you team in your solo story. So it come down to forcing players to play solo. There should always be the option and thats where EQN can win. Taking away options for group play in a MMO is a fail.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

Multi-boxing only becomes an issue in PVP.  

As far as PVE goes, these people would never have grouped with you anyways. 

First step in quashing multi-boxing is to remove any follow mechanics from the game.  Everyone gets to steer their own character instead of following other characters.  It's player laziness that gave them the mechanic to multi-box in the first place.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

Instance or phased content can scale dependant on the size (solo or group). Open world content has to either be balanced for solo or group, as it can not change on the fly. Sure, there can be some content that is solo friendly, but that doesnt stop a group from doing it (and it being too easy). The real issue is whether they have chosen a combat model that is solo or group friendly.

EQ1 had an open world group combat model. The way that the aggro worked, the way the mobs were laid out, and the zone setup was all there to encourage grouping. It did allow for some solo'ing, but it strongly rewarded grouping, even if just a duo. There was a lot of open world content that you just could not experience without a group.

WoW had an open world solo combat model. The open world content is designed in such a way to make it solo friendly. This meant that people did not feel 'forced' to group to experience the content.

Based on the comments made about the trinity, and how they are trying to avoid it using the GW2 model vs the EQ1 model, I would suspect that they are going to make open world solo friendly. They can then put the group content in instanced or phased locations.

However, it is a bit early to speculate. They are currently working out the engine mechanics via Landmark. I would expect to hear some solid information about how they expect EQN to play in the fall.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    My perspective on this is that the game should never be simple enough that you can multibox it. It should be complicated and dynamic enough that mirrioring commands and positioning would never work, or become out of sync extremely fast.
  • PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    As long as they dont bot them. If a player is controling them I am fine with it. I used to run 3 accounts in EQ1 myself and sometimes a 4th when my friend was not home lol

No MMORPG today allows for players to bot any characters.  Botting is against the rules of all MMORPGs and anyone that does that will be banned from the game.  All multiboxers control all of their characters.  If the characters are not in control of the multiboxer, then it's not multiboxing.  It's very simple, if there is a player in control of more than one character, it's multiboxing.  If there is no player at the keyboard controlling the character(s), then it's botting.  It's never both.  So your statement doesn't really make sense.  You're stating "as long as they dont bot them" you're fine with it.  Well that applies to everyone that plays or will ever play or has ever played MMOs.  It goes without stating it.  The player doesn't like bots, doesn't want them in any MMO.  Bots don't have a player behind them controlling them.  All multiboxers are players controlling all of their characters.  It's the same as a player playing one character.  The multiboxer is never a botter.  The botter is never a multiboxer.  The two are completely separate and mentioning a bot in the discussion of multiboxing is the same as mentioning a bot to a normal player.  It just doesn't apply.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Superman0X

Instance or phased content can scale dependant on the size (solo or group). Open world content has to either be balanced for solo or group, as it can not change on the fly. Sure, there can be some content that is solo friendly, but that doesnt stop a group from doing it (and it being too easy). The real issue is whether they have chosen a combat model that is solo or group friendly.

EQ1 had an open world group combat model. The way that the aggro worked, the way the mobs were laid out, and the zone setup was all there to encourage grouping. It did allow for some solo'ing, but it strongly rewarded grouping, even if just a duo. There was a lot of open world content that you just could not experience without a group.

WoW had an open world solo combat model. The open world content is designed in such a way to make it solo friendly. This meant that people did not feel 'forced' to group to experience the content.

Based on the comments made about the trinity, and how they are trying to avoid it using the GW2 model vs the EQ1 model, I would suspect that they are going to make open world solo friendly. They can then put the group content in instanced or phased locations.

However, it is a bit early to speculate. They are currently working out the engine mechanics via Landmark. I would expect to hear some solid information about how they expect EQN to play in the fall.

I don't see them using the GW2 model at all, unless there is only one way to do combat without the trinity. GW2 classes were designed (intentional or not) with 1 vs 1 PVP in mind. Every class can tank/dps/cc/self heal/self-rez, etc. Obviously playing with others helps, but without any buffing or "need" for others, it isn't essential. WvWvW and arenas (esport) were the original "end game" but I believe PVE has improved since I quit.

EQN on the other hand will have classes with 8 out of 12 skills locked to a class's theme/role. So it makes it hard for a Warrior to become a "healer" if they only have 4 skills to mix and then assuming that there are "healing" skills on the secondary bar.

They've made it a point to mention GW2's system and faults and that EQN will be a social game. Multiple times have said that players aren't the hero and will need others to do content that most of us would consider "group" content.

Classes will still have roles, while flexible to a point, but unlikely it will be anything like GW2's solo machine classes.

At least that's my take.

With at least 5 tiers to the world, there is no reason they can't fit in enough content for the soloer up to 100+ "raids". Just because 100 people can kill a single Orc, doesn't mean solo content shouldn't exist. As the world will be dynamic/procedurally generated, won't be anything like GW2 where you can just run around on a timed PVE spawn loop and chain kill everything.

Then again, they could just make it like every other game, but seems like a huge waste of time/money to restart a game multiple times to do so.