Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Allowing or stopping multiboxing.

KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

Heya all,

What do you all think about multiboxing. It became a big problem in Everquest and nowadays everyone has multiple accounts in Everquest and almost everyone plays multiple characters at once.

Should gameplay be focused enough so there's no multiboxing, should they just ban multiboxing or just let it go on.

Please vote on the poll and share your thoughts.

Thank you.

Comments

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Poll needed a "Who cares?" option.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Oh, for anyone not familiar, multiboxing is playing multiple characters from different accounts on a single or multiple PC. So you're playing the game with multiple characters all at once.
    Originally posted by Stromm

I think if your interest is EQNext, you should at least care a little. It had a major impact on Everquest and it is now impacting Rift and a few other games too.

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

I think if your interest is EQNext, you should at least care a little. It had a major impact on Everquest and it is now impacting Rift and a few other games too.

What impact?

I played EQ from 1999 to 2004, multiboxing had exactly zero impact on the game for me.

I played WoW from 2004 to 2013, multiboxing had exacly zero impact on the game for me.

In between I dabbled in DAOC, Horizons, RIFT, SWTOR and GW2. Yep, you guessed it, exactly zero impact.

Please explain to me how someone playing multiple characters impacts your game experience?

Maybe you meant botting? Which is a different thing imo.

What impact?

I played EQ from 1999 to 2004, multiboxing had exactly zero impact on the game for me.

Well, that is 10 years ago, the game has changed since then. Multiboxing is an issue when it becomes so widespread that everyone does it. You become forced to multibox to make a group.

You can vote Yes if you like, I just wanted your thoughts on multiboxing, not if it had an impact on EQ, I played it much longer and I can definately say it has impacted me. Your mileage may vary.

You disagree, that's ok, let's leave it at that.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

there is nothing wrong with multi-boxing IMO

boxing will never be as efficient or as rewarding as being in a group. unless you are using third party macroing programs that will likely get you banned.

i can see how some people may not like it though, some people that multi-box refuse to group with anyone else and that can be frustrating i am sure.

but for me, when i did it in EQ, i still grouped too. i mainly did it to level up alts on the side and to fill group needs.

as far as SOE banning it? LOL good luck with that, its not gonna happen.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Originally posted by Stromm What impact? I played EQ from 1999 to 2004, multiboxing had exactly zero impact on the game for me.

Well, that is 10 years ago, the game has changed since then. Multiboxing is an issue when it becomes so widespread that everyone does it. You become forced to multibox to make a group.

You can vote Yes if you like, I just wanted your thoughts on multiboxing, not if it had an impact on EQ, I played it much longer and I can definately say it has impacted me. Your mileage may vary.

Its not a multiboxing issue its a declining population issue.

As the game population gets lower and lower fewer groups are available and thus you start to get mad at the dude who's boxing cause you cant get a group? Seriously?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i voted No, but not only for EQN but for all mmorpgs. The reason why i dont want multiboxing to be allowed in mmos is because when an mmo struggles to keep a decent playerbase and a lot of those players are multiboxing its even harder to find people for group content.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I voted to allow it, we did it regularly in DAOC and EVE and I have no issue with it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i voted No, but not only for EQN but for all mmorpgs. The reason why i dont want multiboxing to be allowed in mmos is because when an mmo struggles to keep a decent playerbase and a lot of those players are multiboxing its even harder to find people for group content.

Thats a catch 22 though.

The boxer is playing so he can make his own group. You want to group with him but he made his own group. You take away this option so you can join his group. Boxer cant do what he did previously and quits the game. Your still with out a group.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Personally I think they should go a step further and offer a dual client to play with.  It wouldn't be all that much effort for them to have an official client that allowed you to run two characters well at a significantly lower requirement level than having to do it manually.  Plus then the commands and all could be more effectively and efficiently set up.  Multiboxing just makes them more money.
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by DMKano

It cannot be stopped, so the question is irrelevant as it assumes that something can be done about it.

Also as other pointed out, multiboxing didnt ruin a single game yet - completely false premise.

Rappelz, Path of Exile,  and all other cash shop based games suffer from multiboxing.   This is an issue that comes up in every single microtransaction game that I have played, and the only way you can make that statement is if you have never been to a game publisher's official forum.  It effects all aspects of  gameplay from PvPers towing around healing characters, single players getting party benefits, to alternate accounts used for trade scamming. 

The sad fact is how ridiculously widespread and " accepted " multiboxing has become.        

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by thinktank001

It cannot be stopped, so the question is irrelevant as it assumes that something can be done about it.

Also as other pointed out, multiboxing didnt ruin a single game yet - completely false premise.

Rappelz, Path of Exile,  and all other cash shop based games suffer from multiboxing.   This is an issue that comes up in every single microtransaction game that I have played, and the only way you can make that statement is if you have never been to a game publisher's official forum.  It effects all aspects of  gameplay from PvPers towing around healing characters, single players getting party benefits, to alternate accounts used for trade scamming. 

The sad fact is how ridiculously widespread and " accepted " multiboxing has become.        

That's bs.  If you polled every single player in an MMO and forced them to answer before playing do you multibox.  How many do you think say yes ?  I bet it's under 1%.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I voted to allow it, because if the game is so pathetically shallow that it can be multiboxed easily, then it deserves to be.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

EQ1, EQ2 and WoW all had prolific multiboxers even when they were P2P.  The issue has nothing to do with the revenue model, its about how easy it is to multibox in tab target hotbar games because of how shallow the combat is.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by William12

That's bs.  If you polled every single player in an MMO and forced them to answer before playing do you multibox.  How many do you think say yes ?  I bet it's under 1%.

He's not understanding that multiboxxing isn't "using multiple accounts to get around single account boundaries".

Multiboxing is referencing someone having 2+ accounts going at the same time so that they can benefit WHILE PLAYING...not for useless things like more character slots, trade scamming, more bank spots, etc..  Those are tertiary benefits to them, at most.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

Did you even read a single reply other than mine?   I am the only person (so far) in this thread that stated multiboxing should not be allowed in MMOs.       

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Pyrostasis

What impact?

Its not a multiboxing issue its a declining population issue. As the game population gets lower and lower fewer groups are available and thus you start to get mad at the dude who's boxing cause you cant get a group? Seriously?

I wonder if some of you have actually played EQ during the last couple of years.

If you think it didn't think cause grouping issues, especially for newcomers, you're truly braindead.

That's besides all the issues it caused during betas.

Boxing didn't even arise out of grouping issues, in EQ it was mostly about getting looting rights.

Did you even read a single reply other than mine?   I am the only person (so far) in this thread that stated multiboxing should not be allowed in MMOs.       

And also the only one that CLEARLY doesn't understand what multiboxing is, since it can't be done well in games like PoE....

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I don't see an issue. Did it myself for a bit in City of Heros. Was more of a pain more often than not.  I would almost always drop my multi-box for a group.

All these complaints abut it "ruining" community I think are false. Too many examples of shallow F2P games suffering, well Duh. Maybe you have an argument against F2P now?

Also another argument for FFA PvP. See a multiboxer, kill a multiboxer.

Originally posted by Waterlily
    Originally posted by Pyrostasis

What impact?

Its not a multiboxing issue its a declining population issue. As the game population gets lower and lower fewer groups are available and thus you start to get mad at the dude who's boxing cause you cant get a group? Seriously?

I wonder if some of you have actually played EQ during the last couple of years.

If you think it didn't think cause grouping issues, especially for newcomers, you're truly braindead.

That's besides all the issues it caused during betas.

Boxing didn't ever arise out of grouping issues, in EQ it was mostly about getting looting rights.

Firstly, EQ has been dead for quite some time.  To try and use it as a reference for anything within the past 5 years is flawed. 

Second, those that are boxing wouldn't be grouping, they're doing it so that they don't have to deal with other players or because they normally wouldn't deal with other players so it's not really taking someone out of the grouping pool it's just facilitating the benefits of grouping for that person. 

Third, and last, it doesn't matter what the players want.  At the end of the day SOE is a company who likes profit.  If you can have one person paying for multiple accounts + expansions + monthly subs that isn't detracting from the game or cheating why would you punish them?

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

That's like saying RMT didn't ruin a single game yet, or gold sellers didn't ruin a single game yet, or hacking didn't ruin a single game yet. These things are hard to prove.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

If you are worried that you can not compete with a second/third box run by the same player.... then you must really suck at playing, and I would not want you in my party (for that reason). I ran multiple machines (and accounts) for EQ for years, and there was never any time that a competent player was not better than my second account.

Originally posted by Waterlily

That's like saying RMT didn't ruin a single game yet, or gold sellers didn't ruin a single game yet, or hacking didn't ruin a single game yet. These things are hard to prove.

By hard you mean impossible because it hasn't actually ruined any game.  In fact, ALL of the things you mentioned generally only keep people playing longer.

RMT keeps those in the game that would rather trade money instead of time.

Gold sellers....see above.

Hacking keeps people in the game that would normally not play because they're bored.

Personally I hate hackers, but I'm all for ANY system that allows you to trade money for time (in-game money/items).  I generally won't partake but it still helps have more people in the game and "economies" in game are completely meaningless to the longevity of the game.

Originally posted by Cirin

He's not understanding that multiboxxing isn't "using multiple accounts to get around single account boundaries".

Multiboxing is referencing someone having 2+ accounts going at the same time so that they can benefit WHILE PLAYING...not for useless things like more character slots, trade scamming, more bank spots, etc..  Those are tertiary benefits to them, at most.

Every example I gave is an in game advantage that a single player would have over another single player.  

Having a 2nd account with a heal character in tow so you have an advantage over another player is pretty self explanatory and applies to both PvP and PvE.  

Party benefits could be anything from increased item drop rates ( Path of Exile ),  increased experience rates ( Maplestory ), to party buffs ( Rappelz ).     

Trade scamming was referring to using a 2nd account as a " fake bidder " during trade negotiations with another player,  or using an auction house mule to raise your item's bid price.   

In all honesty I have never seen a " good " reason to allow multiboxing.