Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO do you miss?

13»

Comments

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

EQ1 Ruins of Kunark days.

Dark Age of Camelot.

I miss them so.

• DunworthDunworth Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Earth & Beyond, SWG Pre-NGE, Tabula Rasa
  • BrinaghBrinagh Member UncommonPosts: 7

Tabula Rasa and Earth and Beyond.    I'm not normally a Sci-fi fan, but these games were awesome.

I also liked Warhammer at the beginning.    I stopped playing because everyone else did.  What made the game fun was no longer there due to lack of community.   I would love that game to go f2p and get an influx of players!

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Lotro Pre F2p. Mainly MoM era. Small community but probably the nicest and most tight knit community ive ever seen.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Have to agree with Chronicles of Spellborn. Gamers say they want unique games and then a game like this comes along and doesn't even make enough to stay open. Quite sad really.

Smile

• FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254

The Chronicles of Spellborn!

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

Original EverQuest, probably before Planes of Power as that's when things really started to go downhill. I enjoyed it at the time, mainly because I spent most of my time in the Planes, but looking back it's the thing that started the decline, removing the need for all the Wizard and Druid portal spells.

Also, original Lord of the Rings Online, before they started to alter everything so it was more soloable. We were raiding with four groups, then they started chopping it down to one group, then 3 people. Old group quests, like the book quests, they dropped and gave you a massive buff so you could go solo trolls by the dozen. Yeah. So much for sticking with the 'vision'.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Reklaw
    Originally posted by noncley

Pre-NGE SWG. If those idiots had balanced the game and fixed the bugs, this game would have subs in the millions and I'd happily be buying an expansion every six months.

Those idiots = the people now about to bring out EQN

Same here for SWG pre-cu, but don't get me wrong but I like allot of what the NGE offered, no not when it was released but about 1. Sure I missed allot of feature's/classes in the NGE. But as a crafter I was very content after a while, even more so that allot hadn't really changed but had become enhanced. As a droidengineer I could make allot more different type of droids compared to pre-cu, same with most other crafter professions. Sure loved pre-cu CH (Creature Handlers) but became annoyed by those who felt the need to pop out several creature's at a time, which was fun some times but as said some started to become annoying, especially blocking certain acces points/terminals and what not.  BE (NGE-Bio-Engineer) offered allot more depth especially mixed with beast Master.

Like many I couldn't deal with the NGE at the beginning. I kept looking for the things I loved in pre-cu. Well learned my lesson that when a game has a complete game change to approach such a game as being new. That eventually made me really enjoy the NGE.

So I would say mix Pre-CU fixed/polished/ with all it's classes with allot of great additions from the NGE and perhaps the more balanced classes from the NGE, while I love unbalance as it brings people closer together to seek that proper balance. But it doesn't bring in the masses.

I I don't get why you call them "idiots", the brought you a great game experiance, sure they messed up. Have you actually seen and read the official forums and other forums? We who enjoyed the game and wanted fixes and polish where outnumbers by those who complained about too complex, too much reading, jedi is to hard......now....what would you do if you had a business.

I played SWG from CB/OB till 6 a 7 months into the NGE and returned in 2007 for nearly a year.

"I I don't get why you call them "idiots", the brought you a great game experiance, sure they messed up"

You answered your own question right there.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Lotro Pre F2p. Mainly MoM era. Small community but probably the nicest and most tight knit community ive ever seen.

While I don't miss it quite as much as City of Heroes, this would probably be a close second. Though in my opinion the game actually started going downhill just before the F2P conversion - I wasn't a fan of Lothlorian or anything they released afterwards.

<3

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Reklaw

Pre-NGE SWG. If those idiots had balanced the game and fixed the bugs, this game would have subs in the millions and I'd happily be buying an expansion every six months.

Those idiots = the people now about to bring out EQN

Same here for SWG pre-cu, but don't get me wrong but I like allot of what the NGE offered, no not when it was released but about 1. Sure I missed allot of feature's/classes in the NGE. But as a crafter I was very content after a while, even more so that allot hadn't really changed but had become enhanced. As a droidengineer I could make allot more different type of droids compared to pre-cu, same with most other crafter professions. Sure loved pre-cu CH (Creature Handlers) but became annoyed by those who felt the need to pop out several creature's at a time, which was fun some times but as said some started to become annoying, especially blocking certain acces points/terminals and what not.  BE (NGE-Bio-Engineer) offered allot more depth especially mixed with beast Master.

Like many I couldn't deal with the NGE at the beginning. I kept looking for the things I loved in pre-cu. Well learned my lesson that when a game has a complete game change to approach such a game as being new. That eventually made me really enjoy the NGE.

So I would say mix Pre-CU fixed/polished/ with all it's classes with allot of great additions from the NGE and perhaps the more balanced classes from the NGE, while I love unbalance as it brings people closer together to seek that proper balance. But it doesn't bring in the masses.

I I don't get why you call them "idiots", the brought you a great game experiance, sure they messed up. Have you actually seen and read the official forums and other forums? We who enjoyed the game and wanted fixes and polish where outnumbers by those who complained about too complex, too much reading, jedi is to hard......now....what would you do if you had a business.

I played SWG from CB/OB till 6 a 7 months into the NGE and returned in 2007 for nearly a year.

"I I don't get why you call them "idiots", the brought you a great game experiance, sure they messed up"

You answered your own question right there.

Yup underlined the answer right there.......since you seem too skip the actual answer ;)

• niiniichanniiniichan Member Posts: 15
    I miss playing Ragnarok and ROSE online! image

Play now! Sleep later...

• GershomGGershomG Member Posts: 6
    Silkroad Online before the bots ruined it.  the games fantastic group mechanics premise never worked after people learned to cheat.  but you had to make groups to progress, there was no solo, and gameworld was awesome to explore in it's day. also, TBC Wow and some of Wotlk.  When the world was young.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

I was going to say the usual, Pre Trammel UO, Dark Age of Camelot, early EQ, ect, but I realized its not true.

I miss Middle Earth Online.

For many MMOs they're dead and gone and can't be brought back. With MEO, I watch as its bastardized and renamed remains continue to swindle money out of WoW burnouts.

Middle Earth Online had the best pre-release MMO community of any game I've ever seen. No fans were more devoted to that game and that universe. There were so many posts from veteran MMO developers who were hell bent on making an accurate Middle Earth that characters could LIVE in, and spend their time interacting with the races and exploring. They got to a playable alpha state (which in today's terminology would be called an early closed beta) and then...

Then Turbine won exclusive rights to it (before they were developing with Tolkien Enterprises or something) and what do they do? They shuffle most of the veteran devs off to other projects and bring in a bunch of young ones, and proceed to remove almost every interesting feature. They replaced these features with invisible walls, instances, linear quest hubs, basically, they made it a WoW clone.

They split the EU and US community, something they promised they wouldn't do. Kinships fell apart, most of the veteran supporters left. The community got a hell of a lot worse. The game's tag line went from "Live in Middle Earth" to "Fight through Middle Earth!". And the name changed from MEO to Lord of the Rings Online.

Such was my devotion that I tried to play the game. I was in early alpha and I played and bought the game at release. But I lasted maybe a few weeks. It was just too horrible to keep going.

Bumping this because so few people are aware it happened.

• ArshoonArshoon Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Me? I miss Asheon's Call before they took out spell research, let bots ruin everything and put portals up all over the place. Now its a monty haul grind where you can get 25 levels a day.

If you aren't actively part of the solution, you have no right to complain about anything.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    TBC WoW
  • leroysgleroysg Member UncommonPosts: 97

EQ1 classic to kunark 

WoW vanilla days

that all

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

I just had a paradigm shift while thinking of my reply to this question.   Initially, I was going to say I miss three games: EQ1, City of Heroes, and WoW.

When I think about it, though, it's not the games I miss but the friends I had and the experiences we shared while playing; Guild members and communities on Firiona Vie, Virtue, and Emerald Dream.  

People move on, as always, but I would start up almost any game with My old friends.  We keep in touch sporadically.  Maybe it will happen again in some future game.

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Everquest preGoD

EQ2 preDoV

Dungeon Runners

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by Kazara
    SWG Pre-CU. I even adjusted to the CU and would take that version back as a second most missed, but the NGE version - -that was my BIGGEST MMO disappointment ever. SWG is able to cover the best and worst MMO in one title. image

Amen. QFT.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

If I only could pick one, it is City of Heroes.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    i miss ragnarok online. was great before it became a cash shop mmo.