Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interview at EQHammer.com with Georgeson - customize char. huge focus on story.

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Gallus85
    Originally posted by Iadien
    Originally posted by thedood123
    Not exactly sure what this is supposed to mean

looks like another hint at a skill based system to me.

Originally posted by Nadia

Ethernere is a realm shared by all 3 EQs ?

from Ops same link

Mathew Chilton @TuxedoMat
    @DaveGeorgeson if cazic thule died in eq1....how was he at the council of the gods in eq2....?

David Georgeson @DaveGeorgeson
    @TuxedoMat each Norrath is different plane. CT dead in EQ, not EQII. Reverse true for rallos zek. But all Norraths touch in Ethernere.

TTH commentary:

For those less familiar with the lore, Ethernere is a realm introduced to EverQuest II with the Chains of Eternity expansion. It’s described as “a realm never intended for living souls.” There’s been a few, um, “god and dragon incidents” since that have wrought havoc across Norrath. It’s also a testament to just how far ahead SOE was thinking about this in terms of the lore and weaving it into the project in some way. But what they’re up to, and where this is going, is anyone’s guess.

I remember Georgeson talking about the three everquest games connecting somehow, but he mentioned saying too much and stopped. I think it was at E3.

That depends on what you mean by "skill based" system.

If you mean free flowing "create your own class" skill system, then no, incorrect.

If you mean a wizard being able to summon a stone with one hand, melt it with fire with the other, then throw a lava-ball at a mob... then sure, sounds like it.

It sounds to me like you can mix and match your classes' spells to get different effects in combat, a sort of magic-combo system. Or you can create custom spells by mixing ones you've learned together.

But I think this says nothing about skill point based leveling system vs class system.

this sounds like the spell creation system in Ryzom and the possibility of an influence from Bard songs in Vanguard.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

looks like another hint at a skill based system to me.

Originally posted by Nadia

Ethernere is a realm shared by all 3 EQs ?

from Ops same link

Mathew Chilton @TuxedoMat
    @DaveGeorgeson if cazic thule died in eq1....how was he at the council of the gods in eq2....?

David Georgeson @DaveGeorgeson
    @TuxedoMat each Norrath is different plane. CT dead in EQ, not EQII. Reverse true for rallos zek. But all Norraths touch in Ethernere.

TTH commentary:

For those less familiar with the lore, Ethernere is a realm introduced to EverQuest II with the Chains of Eternity expansion. It’s described as “a realm never intended for living souls.” There’s been a few, um, “god and dragon incidents” since that have wrought havoc across Norrath. It’s also a testament to just how far ahead SOE was thinking about this in terms of the lore and weaving it into the project in some way. But what they’re up to, and where this is going, is anyone’s guess.

I remember Georgeson talking about the three everquest games connecting somehow, but he mentioned saying too much and stopped. I think it was at E3.

That depends on what you mean by "skill based" system.

If you mean free flowing "create your own class" skill system, then no, incorrect.

If you mean a wizard being able to summon a stone with one hand, melt it with fire with the other, then throw a lava-ball at a mob... then sure, sounds like it.

It sounds to me like you can mix and match your classes' spells to get different effects in combat, a sort of magic-combo system. Or you can create custom spells by mixing ones you've learned together.

But I think this says nothing about skill point based leveling system vs class system.

and everyone will still end up using the same combos to create the best possible dmg/utility

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

"We have two EverQuest games we can already use as testbeds for what we plan on with the next one. While we're doing that we're putting a huge focus on storytelling over the next year. We want characters to become memorable parts of the story arcs. We want to bring back the world to virtual worlds. This is a re-imagined Norrath. Think of the EverQuest games as three separate universes--a multiverse."

I find this to be an interesting contradiction.   The "appropriate" way to create story in order to support a virtual world is to create an overall "world story" and make individual characters take parts "on the fringes" of it, so as to allow for the "reality" of all the player characters existing and being part of the world. 

At the same time, in more recent years (thanks mainly to games like TOR and GW2), the terms "focus on storytelling" and "be part of the story arc" have come to refer to the exact opposite of that.  In the aforementioned games, each player's character is given a (more or less) exactly identical story which makes them the main protagonist of the game.  This destroys any chance of creating a proper virtual world due to the fact that every person's story - by its definition - precludes other player characters from existing.  (e.g.  In TOR, if i am the Jedi that slayed Bob the Sith, this precludes the idea of there existing other Jedi who've slayed Bob the Sith, which makes it so that in effect, every Jedi in the game is playing in a different version of the World, not in a shared virtual world).

In a proper virtual world, the story needs to be designed for the world, with every individual storyline being designed to communicate to the player behind the keyboard that they're "one of many" people partaking in the story.   This is what made SWG and EVE great.   (There were parts to both games that were more "themepark" and didn't quite align to this, but they were relatively minor and other parts outweighed them anyway.)    Really hope to see this approach again.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

if there are clases / jobs (which, we know there are, because we have the SOE live panel on classes), and we hear that our characters are customizable like never before, doesnt that make anyone else think of either (a) talent trees or (b) a job/sub-job system a la ff11?

i feel like either would be kind of a cop-out, even though i played a game with each of those for over 2 years apiece (I actually played ff11 for more like 3).  Of course there are the old school EQ aa's but i would only assume that the new system is more "deep" than any of these three options.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by arieste

"We have two EverQuest games we can already use as testbeds for what we plan on with the next one. While we're doing that we're putting a huge focus on storytelling over the next year. We want characters to become memorable parts of the story arcs. We want to bring back the world to virtual worlds. This is a re-imagined Norrath. Think of the EverQuest games as three separate universes--a multiverse."

I find this to be an interesting contradiction.   The "appropriate" way to create story in order to support a virtual world is to create an overall "world story" and make individual characters take parts "on the fringes" of it, so as to allow for the "reality" of all the player characters existing and being part of the world. 

At the same time, in more recent years (thanks mainly to games like TOR and GW2), the terms "focus on storytelling" and "be part of the story arc" have come to refer to the exact opposite of that.  In the aforementioned games, each player's character is given a (more or less) exactly identical story which makes them the main protagonist of the game.  This destroys any chance of creating a proper virtual world due to the fact that every person's story - by its definition - precludes other player characters from existing.  (e.g.  In TOR, if i am the Jedi that slayed Bob the Sith, this precludes the idea of there existing other Jedi who've slayed Bob the Sith, which makes it so that in effect, every Jedi in the game is playing in a different version of the World, not in a shared virtual world).

In a proper virtual world, the story needs to be designed for the world, with every individual storyline being designed to communicate to the player behind the keyboard that they're "one of many" people partaking in the story.   This is what made SWG and EVE great.   (There were parts to both games that were more "themepark" and didn't quite align to this, but they were relatively minor and other parts outweighed them anyway.)    Really hope to see this approach again.

But you're approaching the idea from a traditional Themepark perspective.  When they talk about story, I think it's more about the organic experiences you have in the world vs a scripted set of quests for you to experience.

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by DMKano

If they focus on personal story like GW2 and SWTOR..... /shudder

EQN should be focusing on dynamic and engrossing online world, let the players create their own stories through gameplay like we did in EQ1.

I don't need a scripted story to tell me who my character is, I am playing my character, I have my own ideas already, can't we just leave it at that?

Just my opinion.

Agreed. If they do anything like GW2, it will be an awful game. I won't give a shit about the world. I don't want to be the hero of norrath. I want to be an adventurer. 

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by ste2000
     Games like WoW offer features for all those categories, but those features are just too generic.

What Georgeson is saying is that the features in EQNext will be more specific to the playstyles of those different categories, so to create a virtual world where everyone aim to become good at their favorite playstyle while indirectly contributing to build an healthy community (interdependance)

I think these are the basics of a real MMO, and SoE is on the right path....................... finally.

WoW isn't generic, WoW favor certain type of playstyles over the others and it segregate those playerstyles as well, usually through "gear-gating" (PvP stats, gear tier for raids, etc).

Compare that to SWG with the entertainer, crafting/housing, space travel, etc. I'm probably getting my hope up though...and I agree that these are the basics of a real MMO: all playstyle should interact with each others. Something SWG did succeed at way better than previous MMOs did.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Jagsman32
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

I rarely use this word but focusing on story in a mmorpg is _retarded_.

MMORPGs are all about keeping players hooked so that they log in every day and experience something bit different than the day before.

Story is fun for the first time around for some but not for the majority of mmorpg players who tend skip all the dialoque.

2nd time when the player already knows the story it has no value whatsoever and most certainly doesn't keep the player logging in daily.

Looking at everything the EQNext team has put out, it seems they have no idea of the requirements of the current mmorpg market and instead are making just a sequel to their own game. In some parts that's probably a good thing, but I don't expect anything huge from it.

I disagree.  Stories and lore are really important to an MMORPG.  Lots of MMORPGs are devolved into just doing pointless tasks or have really shallow stories with near zero lore.

I think games like EQ and TES shine because of the stories, the lore, the past and present, and how you fit into the picture.  It's nice to know why* you're killing a boss mob, or the history of the orc fort you're raiding.

I think game play, challenge, character customization, progression, crafting, economies, politics and all those other things play a huge part as well...

But the stories and lore of a game give the world life and put meaning into your actions, so it's just as important as the other aspects.

I personally can't wait to see how they make story telling more cinematic.

Cinematic? This isn't a movie. This is a video game, an MMORPG. It is supposed to be involved and carried by our decision. A cinematic is something you sit back and watch without any real effort. I don't really want that, and I will say most EQ1 and 2 fans dont want that either.

Lore is great and extremely important. However, that is not what makes the MMO. Game design and community make an MMO. Providing us with a one-and-done story that makes everyone the hero will not provide us with a game design that keeps us coming back. Let us create the stories through social interaction and community adventures, not some pre-destined questing tree that ultimately makes you some unique butterfly in the land of Norrath.

Allow the lore to be discovered by exploring or raiding dungeons, defending cities from raids, travelling the lands, taking dynamic quests from storybricks NPCs, completing epic quests, and making your own personal decision to investigate the lore. This is how you provide the story. The last thing we need is hand-held instanced storylines.

No the term cinematic just means movie like in presentation.  You can have your character be involved and tell your own stories in a cinematic way without making it something you sit back and watch without effort. Think about all the EQ vets like myself and others on these forums.  Many of them don't even play EQ any more.  But they tell stories about it to this day.  The stories of our actions in the game have been the one thing that has truly lasted the test of time.  The game just didn't portray our actions or deeds in a cinematic way while we were playing the game.

Again, there are other important aspects of an MMO, but lore and creating stories that are interesting is just as important as communities, combat, crafting and all the other parts of the game.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

Cool. I hope not too much focus on storytelling though. I want to play the game you know, not read a book to progress.

A bit of lore is ok, but with Quests I just do *click* *click* *click* without reading them in most MMO if I can be honest.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    virtual world and "story arc" are like water and vinegar.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc
    virtual world and "story arc" are like water and vinegar.

Yes a bit. It's weird that a sandbox would have an elaborate personal story.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

Cool. I hope not too much focus on storytelling though. I want to play the game you know, not read a book to progress.

A bit of lore is ok, but with Quests I just do *click* *click* *click* without reading them in most MMO if I can be honest.

Exactly the problem.  If the game made more of an attempt to make the stories interesting in both their presentation and utility, with lots of input from the player, people would care a lot more about them in the present moment.  Not just years later on some forum talking about the good ol days haha.

As they are in many games right now, the story is scripted, you have to read a wall of text to know what is going on, you can't add anything to them or influence the story in any way.

But if the game presented lore and story better, and put the player in charge of the outcome and actions within the story, it would be a much different, and much more interesting experience.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Karble

http://eqhammer.com/interview/linda-carlson-and-dave-georgeson-defining-mmo

Dave Georgeson: I don’t like the term MMO. It’s generic and it means nothing. I actually like the older term that never caught on which is virtual world. That’s really what we’re building. We’re building a reality that’s better than reality. One where you can customize a character that you want to be, and then perfect yourself.

You have complete control over a virtual world in a way that you do not have in real life. It’s a better experience, it’s a better life experience, and it’s fun to have connections with people internationally and all that other stuff. You meet a broad class of people, and are able to be involved in situations you’re never going to become involved in here in the real world. Very heroic, bigger than life kind of things.

A virtual world is more like that, rather than just a persistent game. The persistence is important because it’s not a world if it’s not persistent, but that’s the least of the things that makes a virtual world or an MMO what it is.

http://eqhammer.com/preview/everquest-next-story-so-far

"Wait until you see spellweaving in the next EverQuest," Georgeson teased. "I've said too much but you've never played a game like it. I can promise you that.

Looks like they used the profits to rent a proton colider. Used the colider to create some wurm whole and cracked a hole in the space time continuum. Then of course they linked several versions of the same universe together with warp gates. So we are clearly in for something we (humans) have never seen yet.  :)

lol.. Just awesome.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

I would kind of like to see the subclass / specialization build done better.  EQ2 had this, though terribly basic, at launch.  I would love to see a very specialized/customization type of builds as in you can have a “support” based Druid vs. a DoT based vs. a weather DD based druid build.  Almost, dare is say ESO, based system where you can level up your spells and build them the way you want your class to act.  Honestly I would rather have too many things to skill up (Swimming, running, conjuring, meditating, 1h Slash, swords, 2h blunt etc etc) then the overly basic when you level up your skills auto level or take all of 3 monsters to max out. 

so the extensive customization gives me hope... 13 more days.... 

Just my 2 cents really. 

• JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Tibbz

I would kind of like to see the subclass / specialization build done better.  EQ2 had this, though terribly basic, at launch.  I would love to see a very specialized/customization type of builds as in you can have a “support” based Druid vs. a DoT based vs. a weather DD based druid build.  Almost, dare is say ESO, based system where you can level up your spells and build them the way you want your class to act.  Honestly I would rather have too many things to skill up (Swimming, running, conjuring, meditating, 1h Slash, swords, 2h blunt etc etc) then the overly basic when you level up your skills auto level or take all of 3 monsters to max out. 

so the extensive customization gives me hope... 13 more days.... 

Just my 2 cents really. 

As much as I try to forget EQ2, your totally right, they did have avery similiar system in place, slightly more advanced than EQ1's, just not as fluid. 

I would love to see them revisit this in EQN and make it actually work.

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    If EQN is going to focus on story then I HOPE they will leave cut scenes OUT. They do not belong in an MMO.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz

EQN should be focusing on dynamic and engrossing online world, let the players create their own stories through gameplay like we did in EQ1.

I don't need a scripted story to tell me who my character is, I am playing my character, I have my own ideas already, can't we just leave it at that?

Just my opinion.

Agreed. If they do anything like GW2, it will be an awful game. I won't give a shit about the world. I don't want to be the hero of norrath. I want to be an adventurer. 

Yeah, EQ1 had it right.  There were plenty of quests and tons of lore scattered everywhere, but you weren't the central focus of them.  You were just the nameless adventurer helping some NPCs out when you did do them.

I don't want to be the hero of norrath. I want to be an adventurer.

This can't be said enough.  All these designers trying to make it like we are the center of the universe... man, talk about really not getting it.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Less emphasis on acquiring gear, more emphasis on roleplay (lite).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

"Our game is the bestest game evah. Here is precise details: it's the bestest EVAH! Is this level of details about the bestest game not enough for you?"

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by arieste

This is a great post. I think you nailed it on how the story should be implemented. The Alpha Hero storylines are world destroyers. The advocates of that style just want a quick virtual hand job and don't need a long lasting persistent world, thus the Post-WoW malaise.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Just my opinion.

I look forward to it if there is story involved personally.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

All this talk of "virtual worlds" by the SOE devs makes me very happy. That is the kind of MMORPG I've always hoped for, but only experienced briefly in pre-NGE SWG.

But I've become a somewhat disillusioned gamer in that respect, so I'm leery of getting too carried-away by all these vague but awesome-sounding snippets. I'll reserve my wild cheering for after the "big reveal". Hopefully I'll be blown-away...

Story can fit into a virtual world, but not if my character is forced to complete "my story" in order to progress. However, if the "story" (or even "stories") are to be found in their own independant quest arcs, then I have no objections to it being there. But if I'm forced to complete a certain pre-defined series of events to get to level-cap, then it becomes more of a themepark than a virtual world.

To me, a virtual world offers you alternative paths to reach a certain destination, not a central 8-lane highway with little excursions leading off of it.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I want story done right like in EQ2 where you have voice overs in the game and you just stand there in real time hitting dialogue options. I don't want cutscenes, they take you out of the game and ruin your sense of immersion. 
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

OMG!!!  More damn prescript story BS.. And here I thought it was suppose to be a sandbox..  If they go story telling like other games I won't even bother to look at EQN anymore..  Very Very disappointing to read this..  Multiverse? Starting to sound like a clusterf*ck of features..  I"m sad

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Rydeson

OMG!!!  More damn prescript story BS.. And here I thought it was suppose to be a sandbox..  If they go story telling like other games I won't even bother to look at EQN anymore..  Very Very disappointing to read this..  Multiverse? Starting to sound like a clusterf*ck of features..  I"m sad

Don't get all upset ...until August 2.