Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your biggest MMO disappointment?

Comments

• Mr_MechanicalMr_Mechanical Member Posts: 88

This is an easy one.   

Biggest disappointment for ME was FFXIV.   

Oddly enough, FFXIV: A Realm Reborn has already made up for it, and it is still in Beta.  

So, I'm happy.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

1. Star Wars Galaxies to SWG:NGE

2. Star Wars: The Old Republic

The a whole list of other mmorpg's that didn't live up to the expectations or simply failed for me.

Dark and Light, Middle Earth Online to Lords of the Rings Online, Warhammer Online and Age of Conan.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,381
    Most recently I would have to put Neverwinter at the top of the list.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• KarbleKarble Member UncommonPosts: 750
    Originally posted by koira1
    Mortal Online..

Mortal Online for me as well. I followed it forever and gobbled up all the claims the devs were making. Took all the steps to get into the IRC beta chat. Downloaded version after version of the game as it was developing.

Since I was playing the beta I thought it would get polished and tweaked and finished before launch so alot of things I chalked up to them being new and "indi" 

I pre-purchased the collector's edition months before release.

Then comes release and there was zero polish. Half the skills they wanted to put in were not there. The others were not finished. There were exploits never fixed. The trading/ selling system with npc's was not fixed. There were no dungeons. The a.i. of most creatures in the game felt rushed and not at all what they promised.

So many let downs in one game that I had actually put alot of hope in due to the "heart" of the dev team and their vision.

Bah..... : (

Onward to the new crop EQ Next, Shroud of Virtue, and ArcheAge are my new hopeful games. I am just not going to invest all my hopes in one game until there is proof of concept. Devs need to honor a vision instead of make political candidate statements that never happen.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Tierless

NGE coming out and killing SWG
    Burning Crusade-adding nothing more than levels and helping me realize what WOW truly was
    WAR-having a tiered world system and RVR that did not live up to expectations
    SWTOR-Everything

After those 3 disappointments my world view changed lol.

spot on image

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Earth and Beyond shutting down

SWG => SWG:crap

Star Trek Online

Not bad, really.  Three MMOs out of the dozens I've played. Still, though, these three events leave a bad taste in my mouth.

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198

I'm going to base this more on what was advertised that just didn't work rather then, I expected one thing and got something completely different but that was actually pretty well built and playable.

So many of the games people are complaining about actually ran and worked very well but they weren't the game they were hoping for, I think those kinds of let downs are self induced.

But looking at it from the perspective of here is our feature list, here are the still screenshots, now come buy and play our almost non functioning game, has to go to Vangaurd.  Did anything actually work in that game when it launched?  My experience at the time of launch having a way above average CPU and Graphics card was pretty much an unplayable game.  It took them what, over a year just to get it to a playable state?

The game breaking bug list in that game at launch was off the charts.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz
    I'd have to go with GW2. It was so promising but the lack of skills, mixing classes, no rewards after level 80, and pseudo action combat really wasn't what I thought it was gonna be. No sub so worth the purchase but it felt very average.

Why do I have feeling this is not about disappointments in general but about bashing Gw2?

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO). It came at a time when I was looking to fill the void left by my D&D friends leaving town. I got a beta invite and was sorely disappointed that it was very little like D&D. To this day, I cannot even fathom playing it still.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz
    I'd have to go with GW2. It was so promising but the lack of skills, mixing classes, no rewards after level 80, and pseudo action combat really wasn't what I thought it was gonna be. No sub so worth the purchase but it felt very average.

Why do I have feeling this is not about disappointments in general but about bashing Gw2?

Well I get your point Delta.....But I also detect that, GW2 was a such a very big disappointment to him that he had to vent in detail as to why.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Originally posted by AlBQuirky Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO). It came at a time when I was looking to fill the void left by my D&D friends leaving town. I got a beta invite and was sorely disappointed that it was very little like D&D. To this day, I cannot even fathom playing it still.
    If you want D&D, it's definitely better to play Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 with your friends.
    Even those 2 games are not really D&D, but some kind of conglomeration of the rules. At least they had magic users with limited spell use per day :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SmittSmitt Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Tierless

NGE coming out and killing SWG
    Burning Crusade-adding nothing more than levels and helping me realize what WOW truly was
    WAR-having a tiered world system and RVR that did not live up to expectations
    SWTOR-Everything

After those 3 disappointments my world view changed lol.

Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

Five is right out.

Best reply ever.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

Great topic, read the entire thread.

Over the years I have been  disappointed by quite a few games.

Mortal Online: Turned out to be just a scam.

The Secret World: Followed this one for quite awhile. Then they announced Box price,

Subscription and Cash Shop. I stopped following and never looked back.

Wish: Really wanted to see this one made.

Darkfall UW:  Still following this one, but won't shell out $40.00 for it in its' current state.

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

Dark and light for me... 1st time I pre-paid for something I never got to try...  

Never did it again until a couple months ago with Camelot Unchained... I hope history won't repeat itself!!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Anyone who doesn't mention SWTOR either has no interest in Star Wars or has never played it.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Originally posted by Dauzqul
    Anyone who doesn't mention SWTOR either has no interest in Star Wars or has never played it.

lolz

All games disappoint me because I wasn't the author of any of them.

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372

World of Warcraft.

I did not play any mmorpgs after UO so when I heard all this drolling about WoW and people talking about it everywhere, I naively assumed well this game must be 100 times better than UO after all years went buy so if anything they must have improved the gameplay...err NO.. they dumbed the whole thing down instead....well you know the story.

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372

Err, people who actually pay attention, like me, knew that SWTOR is going to be just WoW with Star wars skins. You could read this in their dev blogs. People just chose to ignore all that and were expecting SWG 2.0....that is their fault though not developer's.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Cristina1

Err, people who actually pay attention, like me, knew that SWTOR is going to be just WoW with Star wars skins. You could read this in their dev blogs. People just chose to ignore all that and were expecting SWG 2.0....that is their fault though not developer's.

Just like WoW? By whatever do you mean?

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal

lolz

All games disappoint me because I wasn't the author of any of them.

I didn't play SW:TOR because I had no interest in Star Wars. I was also surprised at the amount of pre-launch hype which suggested unrealistic expectations.

I don't think it has anything at all to do with whether someone was the author or not.

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

SWTOR

I expected something spectacular and special and all I got was something boring that cost enough to feed a small country for a year.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• donpopukidonpopuki Member Posts: 591

#1 TERA, I was so hyped about the game because of the amazing charater models, visuals and action combat. Turned out to be a boring korean grinder. I swore off korean games from then on.

#2 SWG convesion to NGE.

#3 Aion, same as TERA but not as hyped for it. 

#4 AoC, not much to do other than kill stuff.

There are other games I didn't care for but you have to be hyped in order to be let down.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

GW2 - Brought nothing that I 'loved' about GW1 to the table.

WAR - How could you mess up a Warhammer game so badly ...

Now that I think about it, ArenaNet absorbed a lot of Mythic employees ... explains a lot.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Originally posted by Cristina1

If it was just like WoW it would have actually been half decent. Instead, its like some crappy alpha version of WoW with half the features on a shitty engine.

• KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90
    When the game developing community decided all games should follow the easy progression  WoW model.