Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your biggest MMO disappointment?

Comments

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177
    Cancellation of Wish
  • GrumpyJesterGrumpyJester Member Posts: 96

Warhammer Age of Reckoning - because it was so close! A lot of great design went into that game, which is why its failure is so disappointing.

Guild Wars 2 - was the opposite, in that it didn't even come close to my expectations. It's disappointing in how far it missed the mark for me.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    SWTOR easily.  I was so excited, even read all the books and magazines pertaining to the game before release.  Only thing good was the story, everything else was so bad.  Quit after 1st month
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Of all MMOs I've played it would be GW2 because it lasted for the shortest time. Even SWTOR was playable for 2 months and VG in it's early beta condition when it was released.
  • tedgartedgar Member Posts: 52
    UO Falling Out   :(
  • VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    World of warcraft.

• SnigerknudSnigerknud Member UncommonPosts: 60

Tera online..

I now know that I will never play any Asian MMO's anymore...they all look and feel the same.

The Secret World.

OMG that one is bad..

WoW Cataclysm

Made WoW even worst than it allready was in late Wrath..

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312

Warhammer - First mmo to show me that marketing and game play were not the same.

WoW - After BC, then dungeon finder, then easy play...The game turned to crap.

D&D Online - I started playing a year after release when many things were fixed, it still had a very large population. THEN THE GAME WENT F2P.

Vanguard - I just bought a cheap computer and knew it could not play the game. From the sidelines I watched it be a release flop. Years later I played it and it was the best, Low population was ok for me as I know how to get groups, so I loved the game. THEN IT WENT F2P.

LOTRO - Years later, after mmos were not mmos anymore, I decided to play LOTRO to play one of the few mmos, But it WENT F2P as I was deciding to play.

Everything else was a disappointment !

• LorskaLorska Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Dark and Light by far. 
  • ksternalksternal Member UncommonPosts: 85
    For me it had to be SWTOR. Especially for all the money they put into the game. The PvP was poor, their system couldn't handle large open world PvP, and the big thing like basically every MMO game except City of Heroes/Villains was ever new character you play the missions were basically the same exact thing which keep from wanting to make new characters .
  • ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    The selling of the Shadowbane franchise to an Asian company. 

Currently bored with MMO's.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737

My top disappointment came just last year....it was a game i followed for quite awhile and I had high expectations for it....Then I played it.....The game is The Secret World......After playing another of FUncom's games for many years (AO) I had high hopes that this game would be good to great....Yeah AoC was a disappointment but I figured they had learned from their mistakes and would go back to AO type of gameplay and difficulty...Boy was I worng....TSW was pure crap...THe animations and combat were so bad I couldn't stand it for much more than a couple days and that was for free......When they started with box+sub+ cash shop I was in shock......After about 3 days I uninstalled this heaping pile of crap.....It is so bad I would not play it if FUncom offered to pay me to.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Classicstar

By ==>FAR<== my biggest dissapointment is ==>COMMUNITY<== and you wonder why.

Becouse of constant whining and demand easy gameplay this go for almost all genres.

The cheating which is real main problem, i use Darkfall 1 as my main example but also GW2 from launch alot cheating.

Less and less true honest hardcore gamers who don't mind a real challenge a harsh enviroment and time sink thats needed to develope your character.

Players who just play the game but never whine and stay behind in development becouse others can play more are rare(current genration(even oldgamers)these days, whine and cry so much demanding adjustments so they can catch up how pathetic)and the start whine and cheat(exploits-macro-hack ext.)untill developers dumb down game even then many still not satisfied.

99% OF GAMERS these days are the downfall of whole genre which give us dumb down versions of games we have today, which alinate me and force me to play solo games.

I play sinds 1999 AC1 was my first my last mmo i realy enjoy was AC2-Darktide(9years ago.

I played Darkfall for 2.5 years but it was ruined by community mainly cheating and devs who listend to much to community and did not solve the huge problems(exploits-unblanced skills and progression). Splitting up community was big mistake also.

Im already lost to mmo's i play mainly solo or co-op games for 2players thats all i dont have any hope for all multiplayer-mmo games, gamers won't change they only getting worse im affraid:(

Negative towards my fellow gamers maybe but thats my experience and you can say what you want i have realy tried for long time but over and over again im so dissapointed in attitude of other players mainly cheating, im prolly out forever.

Why do you care how others like their entertainment? It is not like you are forced to play with any of them.

Difficulty and fun is in the eye of the beholder. I don't see a fundamental reason why others have to like your level of challenge. I bet guilds like Paragon and pro-gamers will think you are pretty weak in your gaming skills too and what you think of as challenging is easy for them.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

1.  SWG NGE - it was more than a disappointment. It wasn't like picking up a new game, trying it and being disappointed - - it was $OE taking a much beloved (not to mention awesome) game and community and throwing them under the WoW bus (and not looking back). Ouch.

2. SWTOR - Entertaining...at first, then the repetitive, grindy feel in a shallow, lifeless world drove me away. I still want to know exactly where the $200+ million invested in the development of the game actually went to.

3. AC2 - A game with much potential, but it suffered its own NGE (combat revamp) mid-June 2003, which led me to SWG's launch. A disappointment that led to something so much more awesome, so I am now wondering why I put AC2 on the list. image

There are other games that I knew would be major disappointments, but access to beta testings spared me much grief. image

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161

I've only played a few games and can honestly say that none have disappointed me.

This is not due to my superior skill in game selection but due to me looking at youtube vids of gameplay rather than marketing hype (I always like to watch game trailers but try to keep in mind that they are not the game itself).

The thing that disappoints me is the way that people buy-in to hype, SWTOR was so over-hyped before the launch it was hard to believe that it would meet people's expectations.

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48
    Trials of Atlantis. I loved Dark Age of Camelot before ToA, and felt like I would be a subscriber forever. I dropped my sub shortly afetr ToA's release.
  • fibiefibie Member Posts: 20
    Scarlett Blade for obvious reasons, GW2 as it got boring after lv80 and Dragons Prophet due to the things u have to cs for :s
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      GW2 and ToR as a close 2nd , both games are poor representations of an mmo and set the genre back .....
  • BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137

Mine is Horizions / Istaria. I was very excited about what I had been reading about the game. The war with the withered Aegis. Demons, Angels, Dragons and so much more available as player races. PvP that was faction based and could change as the story changed. There was so much I was excited about.

Then came the "blackout" and by the time it was released it was nothing like what was advertised. I stayed around for awhile hopeing that the game would be fixed in patches. Yet it wasn't. I would love a game that is like Horizions before the blackout, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Noteable mentions for disappointing games  would be WaR, and FFXIV v1.0. I bought a collectors edition of FFXIV, but I plyed it less than a month I thought it was so bad. Will never go back though, no matter what they do to make the game better. Fool me once...

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229

games that were dissapointing to play. like i couldn't really get into them and exptected more.

warhammer.....so hyped..and it was an utter disaster.

final fantasy 14 a realm reborn. I expected much more on a game completely re-done. It's slow...too slow and it just doesn't feel exciting to play.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Originally posted by hammarus
    Tabula Rasa.  After years of nothing but fantasy MMOs.  I was really looking forward to a sci fi flavor.

^ This

FFXIV 1.0 is a close second.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

I think it's a tie between WAR and GW2.

However I feel that money+commitment from EA and Jacobs could have turned WAR around. GW2- I wanted GW1 Plus, instead I got a generic fantasy game, without the depth or immersement of GW1.  I don't think any changes could make GW2 palatable to me.

• crack_foxcrack_fox Member UncommonPosts: 399

My biggest MMO disappointment has been the players. 

My second biggest MMO disappointment has been the shift to f2p. 

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

WoW: Cataclysm ruined WoW, dumbed down everything from character development to exploration and questing which became completely linear.

Thank you _ very _ much.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

I dont get hyped much so cant get disappointed easily.

But was disappointed at Rift's SL expansion.  they did a 180.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design