Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your biggest MMO disappointment?

Comments

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223

For me its a three way tie. Star Wars;TOR, Warhammer Online, and Guild Wars 2. SWTOR had terrible pvp, bad zones, major lag, the game was just horrible. Warhammer had terrible pvp and major lag as well for a while. The unfinished 4 cities was a big disappointment as well. Guild Wars 2 is just a major fail any way you look at it. Combat was boring, half the zones annoyed me to no end and the WvWvW was by far one of the worst pvp elements in any game I've ever played.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by tixylix

EQ - Luclin and PoP ruining the game

EQ had its highest subs during PoP. I thought it was the last good expansion.

That is surprising..  I loved the Kunark, and SoV expansions (BEST  ever in any game) but Luclin was ok.. I liked that they added starting zones and gave us all a horizontal path as well as vertical.. However there were parts that pissed me off.. Luclin was the start of the end for kiting for druids (so many mobs were snare resistant).. But in all, I would give Luclin a B grade.. Now as for PoP.. YES I whole heartily agree that was a D grade start of the end of EQ as we know it.. PoP cause many more problems within the community and gaming experience then any benefit that came from it..  It wasn't long after that I hung up my EQ boots and moved on.

Luclin is still to date the worst expansion for me. The only good things were beastlords, graphics and AAs. I hated everything about that stupid ass moon.

PoP had the best raid progression I've ever played. I played the most then

POP was the start of the end for a lot of old time EQ players. The portals to pretty much anywhere in the world ruined it. It was in its raw form the start of what we call lobby games. 

I can agree with that. Honestly, if they took out that travel system, pop was a great expansion. PoTranquility was perfect. So many places to go.

I enjoyed the solo content of POP myself. The portals though made the world feel more empty and small which to this day I can't stand in any MMO. One of many reasons why I don't play any MMO's anymore sad to say. 

• ProdigalexProdigalex Member Posts: 2

For me:

#3 - C9 just because is so damn instanced. Otherwise it would be almost perfect.

#2 - Tera, I mean, I have more action combat playing Mario in my old snes.

#1 - Blade & Soul, a beautiful game in every aspect except the combat, seriously, wtf is that mixture between hotkeys and (kinda) aiming thing? couldnt they come up with a better excuse for combat?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

for me it would be gw2

I followed it for 2 years on and off watching the basic game at pax and the odd clip here and there. I never really go crazy over a game but it did look cool. I've never played an mmo that I had high hopes for and then never at any point did I click with that game. Nothing about it made me want to log in and play and I never really got " addicted " to it.

I didn't like the classes, the way weapons worked and I found the "exploration " more annoying than anything. That game was absolutely not made for me.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I disagree about PoP being great.. Most of us that I played with hated it.. The port books were stupid and were indeed the start of teh "lobby" game.. As for the zones and raiding.. Most of us hated it.. It became too cliquish and competitive within the community.. It was the first time I saw game devs actually PUT the player base against each other..  I saw guilds disband, jump around because of unlocking of planes.. Raiding became of pain as it was in WoW.. YOU better be available all the time to be on the "main" team or don't bother playing..  It was a huge royal pain in the arse to unlock planes to gain access to "parchment"  to acquire your spells..

PoP was very much like many of the raids in WoW too.. If you were not part of the initial gold rush to unlock zones and features, you were left out in the cold hoping that others would come slum in the general areas to help.. I really really despise game features that are "exclusive" in nature..

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Star Wars Galaxies.  I've never been more disappointed in a game, mmo or single player.  Played it at launch and tried again when JTL launched and was still incredibly disappointed.  Only then I felt stupid too because I had bought the xpac for a game I had already  not enjoyed, but I thought the addition of space content would make it better.  They gave out free chunks of gametime throughout the last couple of years of its existence and I tried to play, only to be disappointed again.  

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Probably Age of Conan but not for the game play and mechanics cos I thought although they needed work I enjoyed it a lot. What did put me off however was that I was hoping for a deep crafting experience and in the end it turned out to be poor.
  • buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Lotro was for me because it could of been so much more if you had made into a three side MMO. Forces of Mordor verus Sarumen and the combination of light forces Gondor Rowan, Hobbits etc. Played in Beta but just couldn't do it when it went live.
  • killahhkillahh Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Quite a few letdown over the years . dark and light, failure of epic proportions, SWG, poor Vanguard, dragon age, just to name a few

over 20 years of mmorpg's and counting...

• FrostveinFrostvein Member UncommonPosts: 157

1. SWTOR. Nuff said.

2. Tera, not because I expected much, but because I really loved the graphics and the engine ran smooth as silk. Just wasn't enough content there.

• KaledrenKaledren Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Anything that came after vanilla WoW.....when they all turned into single player driven treadmills focused on "end game".
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Warhammer Online.  That game could have been huge and provided WoW with some real competition.  Instead it ended up smearing Mythic's reputation.
  • Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

1) Warhammer Online.  What a snow job that turned out to be.

2) Asheron's Call 2.  More for the potential they flushed down the toilet than the game itself.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by eccoton
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Lol, i guess none of you ever heard of Dark And Light http://www.darkandlight.com/

GW2 comes second.

Man, I totally forgot about Dark Light what a let down!

Yes i could see this one being on the biggest list but fortunately i was so busy playing EQ and FFXi i had no plans to follow DnL at all,so i was not disappointed either.To be honest though,it never got a chance to be a game,it was done in by legal actions,so who knows what it could have been.

I was playing EQ as well, have never stopped really but i also was following and testing D&L. 

Funny thing is that the game has been totally remade and was called Darkness And Light but now SnailGames have gone back to the original name it had in china, my actual forum name.

The whole game has been revamped with totally different lore, races, cities and theme. It should be out in 2014 but we will see how it goes.

http://www.mmoculture.com/2011/03/darkness-and-light-an-epic-mmo-in-the-making/

http://www.mmoculture.com/?s=SAVAGE+HORIZON

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

Star Wars: The Old Republic, in my case.

It was one of the few games where I have basically bought the hype. The Old Republic era - great lore. BioWare - great company. I was very expectant of the game. I liked their ideas, although, of course, their implementation of those same ideas was not the same. I joined a fairly serious guild that was planning to make some noise. What could go wrong? So it goes...

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127

Probably The Secret World. I was so convinced that it was going to be amazing, because I was totally into Conspiracies and Myths at the time. When it flopped, I felt as though I had been smacked across the face with a boulder. I recall reading shortly after the launch, that the guy overseeing the game, felt that it could likely go F2P in 5 years, which made me have about as much faith as he had in it...

My family and I played the game at launch, and none of us stayed for longer than a month. The funny part as that it hadn't even made it passed a year before it went F2P. That was even more disappointing, considering how much I supported them.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Mine was probably EQ2.  For all the problems I do think EQ had, I still had fun in that game and was really looking forward to a newer, pretty more streamlined version.

EQ2 was prettier but felt dead to me.  Didn't like the way the classes split, my favorite ones monk and bard were split and not as much fun.  I did like the animations much better.   I just couldn't get into the game though.

Tried it several times.  When they changed housing to let you build a house, that was cool but when my house was done, I still didn't want to play the game.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603
    Warhammer (was still better than AOC, remember those threads lol?)

• iceashiceash Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by Ocalypse0

SW:TOR

It made the most obvious of rookie mistakes it was sickening. It was honestly like they didn't do one second of homework on the history of MMOs and obvious mistakes that had been made in the past.

This ^  I was looking forward to this great StarWars game and while i enjoyed the single player story i was so dissapointed in so many other features at launch.

Poor optimization Illum was a joke for an open world pvp zone as soon as 5+ players started fighting it turned into a slide show for everyone.

Poor  craft system

Poor guild system

Poor space section

Huge amount of bugs that after quiting and going back at the f2p launch to see what had changed those same bugs were still there.

Etc etc etc etc.

I Can normally come from any mmo game whether good or bad with some good memories, I struggle to find any good from SWTOR. A huge huge shame.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Guild Wars 2, definately.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    The NGE switch of SWG.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

SWGpostNGE.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    GW2

Killing dragons is my shit

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

By ==>FAR<== my biggest dissapointment is ==>COMMUNITY<== and you wonder why.

Becouse of constant whining and demand easy gameplay this go for almost all genres.

The cheating which is real main problem, i use Darkfall 1 as my main example but also GW2 from launch alot cheating.

Less and less true honest hardcore gamers who don't mind a real challenge a harsh enviroment and time sink thats needed to develope your character.

Players who just play the game but never whine and stay behind in development becouse others can play more are rare(current genration(even oldgamers)these days, whine and cry so much demanding adjustments so they can catch up how pathetic)and the start whine and cheat(exploits-macro-hack ext.)untill developers dumb down game even then many still not satisfied.

99% OF GAMERS these days are the downfall of whole genre which give us dumb down versions of games we have today, which alinate me and force me to play solo games.

I play sinds 1999 AC1 was my first my last mmo i realy enjoy was AC2-Darktide(9years ago.

I played Darkfall for 2.5 years but it was ruined by community mainly cheating and devs who listend to much to community and did not solve the huge problems(exploits-unblanced skills and progression). Splitting up community was big mistake also.

Im already lost to mmo's i play mainly solo or co-op games for 2players thats all i dont have any hope for all multiplayer-mmo games, gamers won't change they only getting worse im affraid:(

Negative towards my fellow gamers maybe but thats my experience and you can say what you want i have realy tried for long time but over and over again im so dissapointed in attitude of other players mainly cheating, im prolly out forever.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

SWG from day one.

As a "second shuttle" beta tester, the game was a pretty big disappointment. There was a reason the NGE happened, contrary to popular belief.  It was far from the right answer of course...