Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your biggest MMO disappointment?

Comments

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

I would have to say WAR for me. I was really hoping for a new DAoC, but when they kept cutting things left and right, well the rest is history.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Ocalypse0

SW:TOR

It made the most obvious of rookie mistakes it was sickening. It was honestly like they didn't do one second of homework on the history of MMOs and obvious mistakes that had been made in the past.

I will second this. I was super excited for SW:ToR and I was sooo let down.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Aion

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    I think people are confusing utterly bad with disappointing,  in any event SWOTR for me.
  • RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

1. SWTOR

2. TERA

3. The War Z (changed its name to some other crap)

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Ryzom.  It was a bit dated by the time I tried it, but even so I really wanted to like this game and it had lots of interesting ideas, Alas I must have done something wrong with my character development because I seemed to just fall further and further behind the power curve to the point where I never made it off the starter island.

(I tend to be a little late to try games, so I don't usually get the same hype-and-crash type of disappointment)

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

vanguard, hands down.

• WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    SWG I caint belive my wife and I had 10 active accounts, we loved the origional game so much. Then Sony started trying to change it even after the 100 thousand pettion we sent to sony to leave it alone.
  • SzqqqSzqqq Member UncommonPosts: 38

1. Warhammer Online.

So much hype, the amount similar to what is going on with EQN now. They posted videos how awesome, iconic, great, superb the game will be.

This guy was really good at selling this snake oil. I like him even tho the game is crap ;)

2. Guild Wars 2

For me it is bland and somehow has no soul. Skills based on the weapon you use is in fact very limiting and boring.

PS

Those two made me very reserved as I wait for EQN's great exposure in August.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    My biggest MMO disappointment is with the genre as a whole to put out so many games that are alike and never once put out the sort of game I would most like to play.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

EQ - Luclin and PoP ruining the game

DAOC - Atlantis expansion

SWG - Adding Jedi in, then doing Holocrons, then removing perma death, then publish 9, JTLS, Rage of the wookies, The CU, The NGE........ infact dumbing down the game the entire time because people kept whining it was too hard on the forums. Focusing on Jedi in every patch, ignoring the rest of the game and listening to the whiners... SWG was ruined long before the NGE.

PS - CC expansion releasing 3 months after launch with no testing, SOE not releasing anything for the game until The Bending and BFRS which ruined the game and everyone quit.

EQ2 - Had so much potential during beta, then they released it half finished with so many missing features, it tanked, all 40 odd servers were dead so they slowly dumbed down the game and made it easier and easier so you can solo your way through it...... they could have just had one server and cloned the zones over and over like they did in beta.

LOTRO - When they changed the name from Middle Earth to the title of the movies/books you knew it was going to be some dumbed down theme park MMO... it was, it looked bad, it played bad and it had no PVP.

Vanguard - Could have been good but it had the worst character models ever and whole lot of nothing to do...

WAR - Just a turd, it had no potential, the engine was just so bad and the world design was so poor. 

AoC - Just hate zoning and instancing, I kept seeing loading screens every 30 seconds.

FF14 - Like wtf? It was an MMO with no content, like all you could do was grinding and stand around.......

SWTOR - They kept saying it wouldn't be a WoW clone through development, then it released and it was like a worse WoW.

GW2 - Everyone raving about it being so innovative, it just played like everything else to me.

PS2 - Poor base design, poor weapon design, no sense of progression...... they managed to make a worse game 10 years on, I don't get how, Planetside is much better.

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    The entire MMO genre post 2005

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    I had to look up the definition to "Kvetching" after reading through this thread.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

all mmorpgs

just wanted to add to this that there are some that I enjoy playing. However, an mmo should be a living world and I have yet to encounter that game.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    SWTOR.
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Phaserlight
    I had to look up the definition to "Kvetching" after reading through this thread.

"I've read your thread entitled 'cat pictures' and notice it contains way too many cats for my tastes"

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Originally posted by maplestone
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

"I've read your thread entitled 'cat pictures' and notice it contains way too many cats for my tastes"

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

1. Vanguard. It was suppose to be the new Everquest and the answer to WoW. When it first came out it was a mess.

2. Biowares Star Wars. When it was first announced everyone had praise for Bioware. Dragon Age origins and Mass effect where great games. When Dragon Age 2 came out, alarm bells started to ring but most, including myself saw it as a blip. But the more videos and screenshots that were revealed, the more alarmed I got.

3. FF14 1.0. This should be No. 1, but I never had such high expectations to begin with, but even my relatively low expectations where crushed by the game.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Vanguard.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Lol, i guess none of you ever heard of Dark And Light http://www.darkandlight.com/

GW2 comes second.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

EQ2 because I was a fool thinking it would be a even better EQ, but it turned out to follow the themepark formula instead.

Closely followed by Vanguard that after the EQ2 letdown was named "the real EQ2", but released unfinished and heavily bugged and even years later is still not in a good state. So much potential and it was never followed up and improved upon.

Diablo3 although it is not really a mmo, so many years in development with so much potential to work with. With all that technically goodness and the diablo2 formula to lean on, and then they come up with such a small and simple game ? Use the engine and design some interesting classes, make it a lobby based rpg game and it could have beaten Diablo2.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

UO.

Before it was released, we were promised a great game with lots of fun, essentially Ultima 7 with others to play with.

When i first start playing the beta, it was either a) ganking and you cannot move 2 spaces without being killed, and b) click on rocks for hours to level up mining.

Suffice to say, i jumped ship to EQ asap and never looked back (well, EQ has a whole new sets of problems .. but at least i played that for a year).

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Lol, i guess none of you ever heard of Dark And Light http://www.darkandlight.com/

GW2 comes second.

Man, I totally forgot about Dark Light what a let down!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It was the release of FFXIV,i did see the writing on the wall as i followed it closely along the way but it was worse than i even had thought,It did look good visually but everything else was done poorly.It has come a long way since that inaugural day .

TERA would be next,i never really expected a lot from the developer but what i saw when i got into the game was enough to make me turn about face immediately.I tried twice to play the game,but i could never get out of the noob zone out of boredom.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by eccoton
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

GW2 comes second.

Man, I totally forgot about Dark Light what a let down!

Yes i could see this one being on the biggest list but fortunately i was so busy playing EQ and FFXi i had no plans to follow DnL at all,so i was not disappointed either.To be honest though,it never got a chance to be a game,it was done in by legal actions,so who knows what it could have been.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.