Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Wrong direction to epicness

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon

While many aspects of the game are outstanding and the best in buiseness, the current direction of updates is totally wrong. They are moving away from adventures and epicness with every step they take and adding more and more fun stuff..

 

but if i want fun minigames, i go and play candycrush and such on my ipad. Yes, a few of those events a year might be fun, but for gods sake, this is an MMO, i want adventures and stories and new epic areas to explore and not the childish stuff they keep pushing now at high speed.

their living story is far from epic, and does not take more then a few hours every 2 weeks. 

 

Common this is an mmo, so give us new mmo content and not this childish stuff over and over, what your currently pushing is a waste of development resources to us, the mmo players that want epic adventures and new lands to explorevand conquer.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

«1

Comments

  • VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Such is your opinion, and I can see why you'd have that. But remember, the big stuff is being worked on by other teams. The "epic" things are in development. Unlike other MMOs we're getting new things to do, to (dare I say it) have fun with, during that time gap between the big releases where other MMOs simply give you nothing and let you run the same old stuff over and over again. Things happen in the world between the world changing epic events. We're actually getting to see something more like that happening... smaller things going on in the world between the big stuff. The new lands and epic adventures are coming. In the meantime, go have fun instead of (like in other MMOs) sitting around waiting for new lands and epic adventures.

    Oderint, dum metuant.
    image

  • PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,924Member Uncommon

    Well ignoring the 'lofty' words used to describe the game I'd highly disagree with (sorry, felt I need to express that given the words used to compare the game to others that I feel lives no where near those levels) onto the point of small updates over 'epic' updates, or story focused ones.

     

    Its pretty much an opinion focused piece to say the least. As of right now, I feel Guildwars 2 is desperate to hold onto people's attentions on a more consistent rate. While sure the epic stories get people to jump on to play who might not of been playing prior, but its not enough to really get them on and stay playing say a week after finishing the content. I feel the mini updates are focused on getting that active base logging in more regularly, thus further amplify its chances of impulse buys from players dipping on the game to play wanting something and then likely vanishing away until the next update. I really feel the move they made was to do primary 2 things:

     

    1.) Create a source of extra exposure, trying to paint itself as being in constant development to those who didn't buy the game to purchase, despite the updates not being all the large.

    2.) As mentioned above, getting people to log on more when they do come on to try the new things and giving more chances for good to be purchased from their cash shop.

     

    Its just really there for advertisement and promoting more chances for people to purchase goods from the cash shop. In a way its good though given how you put it, its quite disappointing. I might not like GW2 but I had assumed the rapid patches, while small, would add some content in that felt more worth wild, yet it seems its instead more trivial content. While more content is good, particularly with variation (specially since GW2 combat I don't think anyone will argue is the 'best' system out there) its a shame if its not actually providing that sense of 'epic' that its other updates have brought.

  • RandaynRandayn Sellersville, PAPosts: 883Member Uncommon

     (specially since GW2 combat I don't think anyone will argue is the 'best' system out there) its a shame if its not actually providing that sense of 'epic' that its other updates have brought.

    nah man....worst combat, yes!

     

    I said it when they announced it....they are putting out new content that compares to the Xbox 360 games you could get at Burger King when the system released :P

    I think it's now correct to never use the term "RPG" when explaining what GW2 is...it can be an MMO all it wants, but it fails miserably in the RPG category.

    image
  • ToxiaToxia Lake Charles, LAPosts: 1,319Member Uncommon

    The big stuff you are asking for IS being developed, by a whole other team.

    All this small stuff you arent caring for isn't hindering the development of what you do want atall- Different people are working on each.

    So think of the current offerings as extra stuff you are getting for free, while the other stuff is being made, and you'll fell alot better about it.

    Rather than doing the same shit you've been doing from launch, you now have some fresh content every two weeks to keep you going !.

    The Deep Web is sca-ry.

  • VorchVorch Somewhere, FLPosts: 800Member
    Originally posted by Toxia

    The big stuff you are asking for IS being developed, by a whole other team.

    All this small stuff you arent caring for isn't hindering the development of what you do want atall- Different people are working on each.

    So think of the current offerings as extra stuff you are getting for free, while the other stuff is being made, and you'll fell alot better about it.

    Rather than doing the same shit you've been doing from launch, you now have some fresh content every two weeks to keep you going !.

    Pretty much this.

    The Living story is PART of the ongoing development of GW2. It is not the WHOLE of the ongoing development.

    "As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

  • VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by Purutzil

    Well ignoring the 'lofty' words used to describe the game I'd highly disagree with (sorry, felt I need to express that given the words used to compare the game to others that I feel lives no where near those levels) onto the point of small updates over 'epic' updates, or story focused ones.

     

    Its pretty much an opinion focused piece to say the least. As of right now, I feel Guildwars 2 is desperate to hold onto people's attentions on a more consistent rate. While sure the epic stories get people to jump on to play who might not of been playing prior, but its not enough to really get them on and stay playing say a week after finishing the content. I feel the mini updates are focused on getting that active base logging in more regularly, thus further amplify its chances of impulse buys from players dipping on the game to play wanting something and then likely vanishing away until the next update. I really feel the move they made was to do primary 2 things:

     

    1.) Create a source of extra exposure, trying to paint itself as being in constant development to those who didn't buy the game to purchase, despite the updates not being all the large.

    2.) As mentioned above, getting people to log on more when they do come on to try the new things and giving more chances for good to be purchased from their cash shop.

     

    Its just really there for advertisement and promoting more chances for people to purchase goods from the cash shop. In a way its good though given how you put it, its quite disappointing. I might not like GW2 but I had assumed the rapid patches, while small, would add some content in that felt more worth wild, yet it seems its instead more trivial content. While more content is good, particularly with variation (specially since GW2 combat I don't think anyone will argue is the 'best' system out there) its a shame if its not actually providing that sense of 'epic' that its other updates have brought.

    Wait, what... you disagree... whoa, slow down, no way! image

     

    I can see how people may look at the content we've been getting and think "all they do is little stuff" because, on the surface, all we've seen is little stuff. However, we know for a fact that there are completely different teams working on the bigger, beefier content right now. It's also true they want to keep people playing and interested, so what is a game that hasn't forced people down a narrow end game tunnel chasing gear on the endless treadmill on ennui going to do to keep us interested? Well, they could have added some form or aforementioned treadmill, or they can try something totally new in the MMO world and throw continual new content out every couple weeks knowing damned well they need to keep it interesting and enticing or people will lose interest regardless. That's why they've gone from one living story team coughing out things in a month to four full teams with four months to get everything ready for their releases. We're just getting to the beginning of seeing the extra time the teams have start to pay off. We got a whole new (albeit small) zone,  (Labyrinthine Cliffs) with this release, and it's a gorgeous zone in it's own rights, a lot bigger than it seems due to it being much more vertical than your average zone. We're getting better minigames (imo) added... the Sprint is a lot of fun I think and nicely developed. (I've also noticed you don't always run the exact same course... there are areas that change a bit.) 

     

    Now, regarding the gem store, you're dead on accurate that they want people buying from the gem store. Hell, they'd be a pretty crappy business if they didn't, right? It's how they're doing it that impresses me. Fluff, and lots of it. Fluff you don't need at all, but they hope you'll want. Fluff for looks, fluff for fun. You want to put on some casual clothing, slip on some sunglasses and go fly a kite, you can do that! So yes, keep people interested in the game with no gear treadmill with continual content injections and hope they'll buy the fun, new fluff from the cash shop. No mandatory expenditures, no cost for new content, no monthly fee. It's working for me, and obviously many others. (L.A. was queued last night.)

    Oderint, dum metuant.
    image

  • SabasSabas herzelePosts: 197Member
    Originally posted by Volkon
     

    Now, regarding the gem store, you're dead on accurate that they want people buying from the gem store.

     

    Excuse me but there is nothing in that store that is really "worth" buying. Beyond the obvious bags.

    Perhaps things have changed the last month or so.

    But when I was still playing there was nothing that impressed me. People like different things but to me it felt as if they weren't even trying. Pets and town clothes are good for some people, but not for me.

     

    There were 3 armour sets and with the way transmutation stones work buying those was also pretty stupid, IMO.

    Beyond that we got chests and even more chests. Chests with non disclosed RNG, in my country thats concidered illegal gambling. Made even worse by the fact that any minor was able to partake in this RNG reward system.

     

    Thats not even mentioning how they made their own world pretty redundant a few weeks out of the gate, FoTM.....

    Events, some people like them, many others don't like them. Thats not even touching on the many other problems encountered while playing the game. 

     

    I still like Anet as a compagny but once again they miss the mark by so much.

    All of this is my opinion.

     

     

  • Four0SixFour0Six Missoula, MTPosts: 1,181Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

    While many aspects of the game are outstanding and the best in buiseness, the current direction of updates is totally wrong. They are moving away from adventures and epicness with every step they take and adding more and more fun stuff..

     

    but if i want fun minigames, i go and play candycrush and such on my ipad. Yes, a few of those events a year might be fun, but for gods sake, this is an MMO, i want adventures and stories and new epic areas to explore and not the childish stuff they keep pushing now at high speed.

    their living story is far from epic, and does not take more then a few hours every 2 weeks. 

     

    Common this is an mmo, so give us new mmo content and not this childish stuff over and over, what your currently pushing is a waste of development resources to us, the mmo players that want epic adventures and new lands to explorevand conquer.

    I agree.

     

    To me it all sounds like lots and lots of "Holiday-events", but with slightly better story writing, and a few less "go-fetch" quests.

  • botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

    While many aspects of the game are outstanding and the best in buiseness, the current direction of updates is totally wrong. They are moving away from adventures and epicness with every step they take and adding more and more fun stuff..

     

    but if i want fun minigames, i go and play candycrush and such on my ipad. Yes, a few of those events a year might be fun, but for gods sake, this is an MMO, i want adventures and stories and new epic areas to explore and not the childish stuff they keep pushing now at high speed.

    their living story is far from epic, and does not take more then a few hours every 2 weeks. 

     

    Common this is an mmo, so give us new mmo content and not this childish stuff over and over, what your currently pushing is a waste of development resources to us, the mmo players that want epic adventures and new lands to explorevand conquer.

    I can understand, although I will point out that A.Net has put permanent changes into the game as well. A new sPvP arena, new merit system for WvWvW, etc. They are intermixed with the others. One just needs to look under the surface to see the other patches.

     

    image

    "In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

  • VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by Pandamin
    Originally posted by Volkon
     

    Now, regarding the gem store, you're dead on accurate that they want people buying from the gem store.

     

    Excuse me but there is nothing in that store that is really "worth" buying. Beyond the obvious bags.

     

    Yikes. I think you dodged the point quite adeptly. Your statement that "there's nothing in that store that is really "worth" buying" IS the point. Everything is optional. You see something you like, something fluff, fun, whatever, you can buy it. Nothing you buy or don't buy affects your ability to play the game.

    Oderint, dum metuant.
    image

  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    (specially since GW2 combat I don't think anyone will argue is the 'best' system out there)

    It's the best system out there.

  • DaezAsterDaezAster new york, NYPosts: 803Member
    Originally posted by Pandamin
    There were 3 armour sets and with the way transmutation stones work buying those was also pretty stupid, IMO.
    You don't need T stones for skins they have them built in so when you click the skin it brings up the transmutation panel ;)
  • NeutorNeutor Jamestown, NCPosts: 101Member
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    (specially since GW2 combat I don't think anyone will argue is the 'best' system out there)

    It's the best system out there.

    The one GREAT thing about opinions is the fact that everyone can have one. 

    Join us dtguilds.com
  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,278Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

    While many aspects of the game are outstanding and the best in buiseness, the current direction of updates is totally wrong. They are moving away from adventures and epicness with every step they take and adding more and more fun stuff..

     

    but if i want fun minigames, i go and play candycrush and such on my ipad. Yes, a few of those events a year might be fun, but for gods sake, this is an MMO, i want adventures and stories and new epic areas to explore and not the childish stuff they keep pushing now at high speed.

    their living story is far from epic, and does not take more then a few hours every 2 weeks. 

     

    Common this is an mmo, so give us new mmo content and not this childish stuff over and over, what your currently pushing is a waste of development resources to us, the mmo players that want epic adventures and new lands to explorevand conquer.

    "Living World" you said that wrong.

  • SabasSabas herzelePosts: 197Member
    Originally posted by Volkon
     

    Yikes. I think you dodged the point quite adeptly. Your statement that "there's nothing in that store that is really "worth" buying" IS the point. Everything is optional. You see something you like, something fluff, fun, whatever, you can buy it. Nothing you buy or don't buy affects your ability to play the game.

    I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to say.

     

    So I'll try again, I bought gems, I want to spend gems, but there's nothing worth spending gems on beyond those bags.

    In my opinion, I forgat you need to say that everytime you post here on MMORPG.com.

     

     

  • DaezAsterDaezAster new york, NYPosts: 803Member
    I agree with Op and would love to see more dungeons and more additions to fotm as well as more spvp match types not just new maps though I love the new one. Nothing like gun butting someone into a launchpad and then hammer smashing them on there way back down. The story stuff is a bit of fun and I enjoy it for the most part for the mini games and other stuff but not for the story. Story is the weakest link in this game imo and building upon it isn't what I think they should be doing. The only story part I thought was cool was the little black and white cut scene with logan thackery for the sky pirates. Rest not interesting at all to me. I enjoyed all the dungeons they have done though and like how they put these scavenger hunts throughout the whole world. Good thing is they have heard us and are working on it so I'll give them some time and see where it goes.
  • SabasSabas herzelePosts: 197Member
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    Originally posted by Pandamin
    There were 3 armour sets and with the way transmutation stones work buying those was also pretty stupid, IMO.
    You don't need T stones for skins they have them built in so when you click the skin it brings up the transmutation panel ;)

    Right, but you can only use the skin 1 time.

    Unless I completly misunderstood the tooltip.

     

  • VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by Pandamin
    Originally posted by Volkon
     

    Yikes. I think you dodged the point quite adeptly. Your statement that "there's nothing in that store that is really "worth" buying" IS the point. Everything is optional. You see something you like, something fluff, fun, whatever, you can buy it. Nothing you buy or don't buy affects your ability to play the game.

    I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to say.

     

    So I'll try again, I bought gems, I want to spend gems, but there's nothing worth spending gems on beyond those bags.

    In my opinion, I forgat you need to say that everytime you post here on MMORPG.com.

     

     

    Eh, sorry, I knew that was in your opinion and went on that assumption. 

     

    So, you bought gems to use to unlock bag slot, bank slots, something like that, is that right? Now you have leftover gems? Trying to build the context here, that's all. Well, you can hang on to the gems and you'll be getting more free ones with the achievement point awards (400 every 5000 pts it seems), buy something cheap like a black lion key, convert them to gold, whatever works. 

    Oderint, dum metuant.
    image

  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member

    I've never seen that 'Epic' word used, on a forum, without someone tripping (metaphorically, but also possibly hallucinogenically) on it.

    It's just one of those Pomposity Points phrases, like "Immersion".

    Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by Neutor
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    (specially since GW2 combat I don't think anyone will argue is the 'best' system out there)

    It's the best system out there.

    The one GREAT thing about opinions is the fact that everyone can have one. 

    That was my point, yes lol

  • SabasSabas herzelePosts: 197Member
    Originally posted by Volkon
     

    Eh, sorry, I knew that was in your opinion and went on that assumption. 

     

    Wasn't directed at you perse. :)

    One gets a little cautious around these parts when discussing games.

     

    I appreciate the intent of what you are saying.

    Though my original post made my point very clear.

    Anet has a ton of examples on what they could offer yet they don't, while pushing the chests. This isn't maplestory.

    Like I said, its as if they just don't want to get it right I mean, armour skins are one of the most popular items in any cash shop.

     I still like Anet and I hope to return to the game when they add content that is more suited towards me.

     

    And if that never happens I can still root for their next game. :)

     

     

     

  • BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member

    With the pace they've been releasing content, if they had a more traditional structure (even if while staying away from tiers and building horizontal progression) they'd have so many more happy players if they spent all this time on new permanent dungeons, new permanent zones, continuing the personal story...

    I haven't played in honestly months, but from what I saw of the "living story" events - they were nothing like the awesome public events from beta...

    Adding new weapons, new skills for weapons, new races etc. is all wonderful and good, however.

    They honestly should have had a GW1 like system from the start where you get a pool of skills for each weapon, including ones you have to hunt down and complete challenges to unlock (instead of the current Skill Point challenges which are just another thing to grind.)

    And this game would have been PERFECT for a FFXI/FFXIV style system of class changing and sub-classes (also like GW1 a bit).

     

  • NeutorNeutor Jamestown, NCPosts: 101Member
    Originally posted by BadSpock

    With the pace they've been releasing content, if they had a more traditional structure (even if while staying away from tiers and building horizontal progression) they'd have so many more happy players if they spent all this time on new permanent dungeons, new permanent zones, continuing the personal story...

    I haven't played in honestly months, but from what I saw of the "living story" events - they were nothing like the awesome public events from beta...

    Adding new weapons, new skills for weapons, new races etc. is all wonderful and good, however.

    They honestly should have had a GW1 like system from the start where you get a pool of skills for each weapon, including ones you have to hunt down and complete challenges to unlock (instead of the current Skill Point challenges which are just another thing to grind.)

    And this game would have been PERFECT for a FFXI/FFXIV style system of class changing and sub-classes (also like GW1 a bit).

     

    I agree with this, my guild was very hardcore heavy into GW2 but at the end of the day, we figured out that  Its a very shallow game and to be honest there really isn't a way for them to fix that with the way it is currently set up.  

    Don't get me wrong there are things I really enjoyed with that game but the combat became very stale, very fast and the instances are down right horrible.  After the first time of logged into FFXIV, logging into GW2 hasn't even crossed my mind; GW2 could really benefit from a class system like FF; give people a reason to belong and a role to play.

    Join us dtguilds.com
  • caetftlcaetftl Los Angeles, CAPosts: 358Member

    Hehe, it's funny watching some of gw2's biggest fanbois now come back and criticize it a little when the same points they bring up are the ones they used to argue against blindly and rabidly. 

    I wonder if they ever reflect on how naive they were, or if they just kind of brush it under the rug and pretend they were never fanatical about the game.

  • NeutorNeutor Jamestown, NCPosts: 101Member

    It's still a very good game, it just doesn't have a lot of staying power. 

    Edit:  And to be fair to the game, it was never meant to be played the way we played it.  GW2 is not a game for the Hardcore crowd.  It is, on the other hand, a great casual game.

    Join us dtguilds.com
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.