Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN Gear

Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092

So some people like raiding and putting in tons of time to get "the best gear".  Some people hate it.  I personally don't mind gear-progression based games, and non-gear progression games.

So I wanted to ask.  What if EQN isn't a gear grind?  Would you still play it?

In some games, gear degraded really fast through combat/death (PVE or PVP).  

Some games have full looting in them. (PVE and PVP)

These types of games generally make "The best gear in the game" not really that hard to get(Since it doesn't make sense to have to put in 3 months of work on an epic weapon just to have someone or some mob loot it off you the next time you die or having it wear out after using it in combat too much).

Instead, in these types of games you work to stock up on alternate sets of gear (back ups in case you die, lose it or it wears out, or different types of gear to wear in different situations, etc)

So what say you?  What if EQN put a large emphasis on crafted gear and gear Degradation instead of raid content and gear treadmills?  Would this appeal to you?  Would it turn you off?  Would it not matter either way as long as it's done well?

Let me know.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

Comments

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd be ok with a very new version of EQ1. Personally, I liked how it was setup in almost every fashion. Vanilla EQ and Kunark/Velious had good gear progression imo. Most of the early gear had no stats until much later. I was super fucking stoked when I got my SBSS or DRT from crushbone. It was the only gear i had for a long time that had stats.

I don't think we should have camping spots like original EQ, something about that could change. But I did like the social aspect that desired spots caused. Unfortunately it will be NOTHING like this. I feel like it's gonna be very WoW-esque despite its claims to the contrary. I'm imagining a WoW with no quest tracker basically.

Hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: I answered I don't care. But I'd like to see gear progression similar to original EQ

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd be ok with a very new version of EQ1. Personally, I liked how it was setup in almost every fashion. Vanilla EQ and Kunark/Velious had good gear progression imo. Most of the early gear had no stats until much later. I was super fucking stoked when I got my SBSS or DRT from crushbone. It was the only gear i had for a long time that had stats.

I don't think we should have camping spots like original EQ, something about that could change. But I did like the social aspect that desired spots caused. Unfortunately it will be NOTHING like this. I feel like it's gonna be very WoW-esque despite its claims to the contrary. I'm imagining a WoW with no quest tracker basically.

Hope I'm wrong.

Ok so you want a gear treadmill? 

Just checking because I see zero votes for gear treadmill so far.  Or did you just vote you don't care either way?

I personally think either way is fun.  They're just fun in their own way.  

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

Originally posted by Gallus85

Hope I'm wrong.

Ok so you want a gear treadmill? 

Just checking because I see zero votes for gear treadmill so far.  Or did you just vote you don't care either way?

I personally think either way is fun.  They're just fun in their own way.  

Yeah but I don't give a shit about my gear in newer MMOs. All I do is see if there are green +stats (indicating its an upgrade) and equip or trash it. I don't know the name of a single piece of gear in any MMO post-2004. They just don't matter. Just different colored items that increase all my stats by a little.

Yea sure it was a cool style when it came out. In 2004. In EQ2 and WoW and I did enjoy it. But like I said, it stopped feeling meaningful when my lvl 10 gear gave +4-5 to all stats, then my lvl 12 gear gave +6-7 to all. I stopped caring.

EQ1 had a system I'd like to revisit where your first levels are a little challenging, not 20 level tutorials. Maybe because the only stats on armor for a lot of levels are AC (armor class). Then you'd get a rare drop like shiny brass shield that also gave magic resist. Or Dwarven Ringmail Tunic with like 3-4 stats.

EQ1 wasn't my first MMO. But it's the one I remember the most items from. All items were unique.They weren't " Leggings of the that just changed names to indicate stats. I always had such a mix of armor until defiant crap came out. and I liked that.

Like I said, I don't think the newer style is that bad. I'm just a little tired of it. I like what EQ2 did with some unique sets that gave SET BONUSES, similar to Diablo 2. They have their qualities and either one isn't going to make or break a game for me. But, I would like to see something different than the current settings. An EQ1 style would really excite me.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

I hope they borrow from their other games and have a little of everything needed for gear.

Raiding to earn components and crafting to use them to make the best stuff.

The more and harder the raids, the better your gear is. Seems fairly simple.

Degrading keeps the economy going and a reason to keep raiding. Maybe have it as simple as kill the same mob that gave the components to begin with so you can keep the same stuff or kill something else and upgrade the item into something even better.

You can walk around town and have it never wear out, but if you use it in battle, you will need to work on maintaining it.

Really hope they get away from raid 20 hours, roll/bid on item, get back to town and see 50 others with the same named "rare" gear.

I want my time/effort to reflect what I want/need on top of showing off that I completed a tough quest, killed a hard mob, or did whatever else to make others take notice.

My best shouldn't be the same best as everyone else. Devs shouldn't dictate what gear I need to progress further.

A complex crafting system + raiding can give everyone a sense of accomplishment.

I still want gear to have meaning and value, not have it throw away where you have 10 sets sitting around, but I don't want to feel like Gollum either and freak out if my sword gets a little dull.

Originally posted by Allein

Raiding to earn components and crafting to use them to make the best stuff. I agree

The more and harder the raids, the better your gear is. Seems fairly simple. Agreed

Degrading keeps the economy going and a reason to keep raiding. Maybe have it as simple as kill the same mob that gave the components to begin with so you can keep the same stuff or kill something else and upgrade the item into something even better. God no. If there is one thing I can't stand it's the money/time sink of durability. Major deal breaker in my opinion. I don't want to spend 4-5 hours raiding for key pieces only to have the thing become fucking useless until I do more raiding or pay money.

Really hope they get away from raid 20 hours, roll/bid on item, get back to town and see 50 others with the same named "rare" gear. 20 hour raids prevent people from getting the same gear. You know what you see now in games like GW2 and other games that do group/everyone style loot? The entire server has the same gear. And it only took them 2 hours. 20 hour raids are way too long, BUT I disagree with everyone having their own loot table. If anything, they should increase how many items drop per mob. If they want to do private loot tables, don't give me shit I can't use.

My best shouldn't be the same best as everyone else. Devs shouldn't dictate what gear I need to progress further. Kind of disagree. Seems pretty stupid that you're expecting to be able to clear Planes Of Power content in Vanilla EQ gear...don't you think? I think you should always be striving for better gear. I don't think your level 1 gear should be relevant forever. You should HAVE TO progress, but it shouldn't be horribly difficult. I like end game gear to be trophy gear, aesthetic, or preparing me for a slightly more challenging upcoming expansion.

A complex crafting system + raiding can give everyone a sense of accomplishment. Complex raiding becomes difficult with random people. If you're trying to include everyone, sounds like a raid queue that puts randoms together. I'd rather have small 20 man raids for guilds that are more than tank-and-spank.

I still want gear to have meaning and value, not have it throw away where you have 10 sets sitting around, but I don't want to feel like Gollum either and freak out if my sword gets a little dull. Agreed. But I'm also mostly against set gear. Like I said, I really liked that every piece was unique in original EQ and you cared when you got an item because even one stat was important. Now it's just "does this have slightly more of EVERY STAT I COULD NEED."

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I don't want a treadmill, but rare gear drops with gear degradation would be fine with me. Have both repairable wear (to promote crafting) and unrepairable wear (so you don't use the same item forever). Hoping end game is PvP focused rather than raiding tiers.
    Originally posted by evilastro
    I don't want a treadmill, but rare gear drops with gear degradation would be fine with me. Have both repairable wear (to promote crafting) and unrepairable wear (so you don't use the same item forever). Hoping end game is PvP focused rather than raiding tiers.

PVP focus attracts the worst kind of MMO players. No one's ever happy with it. I kinda wish it was only PVE but i do enjoy the occasional fight.

Raiding tiers get boring as well, I would like to see increasingly complex and challenging raids with a set quality of gear among them, but better raids reward with cooler looking gear or something.

• DruzellaDruzella Member Posts: 15

Sorry for my English.

Let everything be as it was in the EK2

• DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307

If EVE has any bearing on how gear will be in EQN then it will be pretty dispensable. That does not mean that raids wont exist. Materials could drop to make gear, adornments, enchants, etc. Then everyone will definitely have the same gear jsut depending on what role they choose, crafter, merchant, raider, PVPer, etc. and the cash shop will differentiate the looks from the basic gear's look.

Now I do not expect this in EQN I would love it and I would love to have raids that didnt simply drop gear but materials instead. Well have to see about all of this I dont expect any of it I expect a sandpark. Raids with gear treadmill, sectioned off PVP with land to fight over and hold and a decent crafting system. I hope I am wrong, boy do I.

Interesting poll results so far.

Only a tiny minority really care about gear treadmills.  I think GW2 was on to something.

I don't mind either type of system, I've played and enjoyed both, but I did like GW2's system.   It seemed to help prevent the game into turning into a mundane chore.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I am one of those who needs some sort of progression to keep me entertained but I would play it without a gear grind I just wouldn't enjoy it as much I don't think.  If there's no gear grinding then I am hoping the skill and ability acquisition is kind of grindy to replace it with.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin
    I am one of those who needs some sort of progression to keep me entertained but I would play it without a gear grind I just wouldn't enjoy it as much I don't think.  If there's no gear grinding then I am hoping the skill and ability acquisition is kind of grindy to replace it with.

Ah.

I feel like gear/level grinds are often a bandaid for inferior game play mechanics.  The combat, story, pvp dynamics, etc aren't interesting enough to keep players entertained themselves, for the sake of being fun themselves, so they create carrots to dangle in our face to keep up in the game. 

For example, I have all the assignments, unlocks and dog tags for BF3, but I still play the game, because the game itself is fun.  I don't need progression trinkets to keep me entertained in BF3.

Same with GW2.  I got a look for my character that I like, and I enjoy playing the game, PVE and PVP, for the sake of playing the game.  It's fun in itself without carrots in my face.

That's not to say that I'm completely against it.  I like many other humans enjoy collecting items and the sound of a level ding on a primitive subconscious level.  But I don't need it to enjoy a game as long as the game is fun.

• SheerzSheerz Member Posts: 15
    Regarding PvP, I hope they really scrap the idea of trying to balance classes agains eachother for PvP reasons, make the game PvE centric and classses have their role in PvE and whatever comes of PvP, let that be it. Don't the PvE game because a vocal minority of players want wants every class to be a viable PvP opponent against every other class, not possible.
  • Jagsman32Jagsman32 Member Posts: 109

I am hoping they take the true sandbox route and implement gear degredation and heavy crafting route. In SWG your best items were crafted, but they were crafted with mats dropped from *raid* mobs (Kraytes, Ackley). Maybe have raid bosses not only drop the mats for these raid-tier items, but also drop skins that can be re-used x amount of times on crafted weapons. This keeps the market flowing and raid content active if you want your guild to have high quality items. This can also be used to prevent the trap of the ever expanding multi-tier equipment system.

Originally posted by Jagsman32

I am hoping they take the true sandbox route and implement gear degredation and heavy crafting route. In SWG your best items were crafted, but they were crafted with mats dropped from *raid* mobs (Kraytes, Ackley). Maybe have raid bosses not only drop the mats for these raid-tier items, but also drop skins that can be re-used x amount of times on crafted weapons. This keeps the market flowing and raid content active if you want your guild to have high quality items. This can also be used to prevent the trap of the ever expanding multi-tier equipment system.

MMOs peak a few weeks after launch then continuously lose players. I don't want to be dependent on the economy to play. What happens when all my armor is damaged and there's no one on who can fix it? Or the only person that's ever on charges an insane amount? i don't think there should ever be a NEED for crafting. Crafters are not very common.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by DMKano

Again I am hoping its an all new system not seen in other games , something unique to EQN.

what I am not looking forward is the bulky armor look (like shown in that one screenshot and concept art, ugh)

Equipment has always been a great way to allow characters to stand out in games. Which is why so many games exaggerate gear.

• SzqqqSzqqq Member UncommonPosts: 38

I hope that gear will be just a dispensable tool, and the game wont be centered around getting that "Phat Epic Staff of Total Awesomnes". What Id like to see is gear degradation (AND/OR losing gear in pvp). If equipment keeps dropping from mobs all the time there has to be this sink to give purpose to crafting. Yes of course there should be 'epic' gear but the global economy would make it xx times more expensive than standard, common (but still good) equipment.

Originally posted by Jagsman32

MMOs peak a few weeks after launch then continuously lose players. I don't want to be dependent on the economy to play. What happens when all my armor is damaged and there's no one on who can fix it? Or the only person that's ever on charges an insane amount? i don't think there should ever be a NEED for crafting. Crafters are not very common.

EQ is 14 years old and you can still log in today and find crafters to make you stuff with no problem.

I understand your concern but it's not an issue you need to worry about.

If there is no need for crafting, then it just becomes a second-rate aspect of the game.  They've already promised that crafting and other forms of gameplay outside adventuring are going to be key pillars of importance for the game.  How they do that specifically, we don't know yet.

But count on needing crafters in EQN.

Originally posted by CraxonCrais

I hope that gear will be just a dispensable tool, and the game wont be centered around getting that "Phat Epic Staff of Total Awesomnes". What Id like to see is gear degradation (AND/OR losing gear in pvp). If equipment keeps dropping from mobs all the time there has to be this sink to give purpose to crafting. Yes of course there should be 'epic' gear but the global economy would make it xx times more expensive than standard, common (but still good) equipment.

This is what I'm hoping for as well.  Something to prevent a mindless gear-treadmill end-game, while making crafters just as important as adventurers.

I almost never craft in any game. (Except some in EQ2 and Vanguard).  I'm more of a pvper.  But I know lots of people enjoy crafting and I know EQN is going to look out for their interests as well this time around.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    I like gear. But I don't want it to be the only (or main) form of progression. WoW, for example. Yeah, I don't want an end-game progression system like WoW. At all.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

As soon as I get to max level and start on the "gear grind" portion of an MMO, that is when i quit playing it.

Most of my friends seem to do the same, even the ones who insist that MMOs need the gear grind.  I'm not saying they are leaving because of it though.  It may be more complicated than that, I just know if I start spending my time chasing mob dropped/token bought permanent gear i'll quit.  

Still, I have to wonder if a system having both a functional economy with destructible gear, and a long-term progression system for people who do PVE raiding is possible.  I would wager it is possible if someone clever were to create it.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I'm hoping that the itemization on items focuses on the sub stats of the classes such as Sneaking (e.g Scout class aspect) or Combustion (Caster class aspect). that way it can be similar to GW2 in that most pieces have random stats but are balanced per piece. There may not be levels so "better" pieces may have more stat feilds or blank ones...

I'm really hoping that most of the drops are materials and that crafting is a big part the game. Not only being able to craft from raid drops but also keep valued pieces from disrepair since I think item degradation is important. The "better" the item, the more valuable or more numerous the items needed to keep using it. This would be done through crafting of course.

Raids have been a bad name in some respects due to them being used for a fast paced treadmill. When leveling took a long time raiding seemed more important because the gear you got stayed with you and really helped. If mats were a main source from raids so players could keep thier nice gear shiny you could have raids, crafting and degradation as a big focus on the game, which I like :)
    Originally posted by Aelious
    I'm hoping that the itemization on items focuses on the sub stats of the classes such as Sneaking (e.g Scout class aspect) or Combustion (Caster class aspect). that way it can be similar to GW2 in that most pieces have random stats but are balanced per piece. There may not be levels so "better" pieces may have more stat feilds or blank ones...

I'm really hoping that most of the drops are materials and that crafting is a big part the game. Not only being able to craft from raid drops but also keep valued pieces from disrepair since I think item degradation is important. The "better" the item, the more valuable or more numerous the items needed to keep using it. This would be done through crafting of course.

Raids have been a bad name in some respects due to them being used for a fast paced treadmill. When leveling took a long time raiding seemed more important because the gear you got stayed with you and really helped. If mats were a main source from raids so players could keep thier nice gear shiny you could have raids, crafting and degradation as a big focus on the game, which I like :)

I'm hoping that gear is more of a customization and utility thing.

Making a long trip or want to be light on your feet as a warrior?  Wear leather armor that would have bonuses to evasion, runspeed, endurance, agility, etc.  Prefer absorbing damage instead of evading it?  Wear plate armor as a warrior.  On the plate armor, do you want to wear the BP that has +str infused on it to make you hit harder, or wear the one with +con so you can take more damage?

Or a thief... do you want do use daggers for quick sneaky attacks or do you want to use a crossbow and other gadgets to attack from a range and confuse your opponents?

Things like that.  I hope gear is more about custom creating your character and making him or her stand out from other players, just like classes and specs do.

Gear treadmills are cute, but they're not really as interesting as I once found them back in 1999.  Ohhhh get +5 str dex tunic and you are sooo uber... so you can fight the next boss who will give you +10 str and dex tunic, so that you can fight the next boss and earn that +15 str +15 dex +5 magic resist Tunic! ohhhhhhhh!  I dunno, it seems kind of cheesy.

Gear should be more about functionality and character customization.  Not +stat carrot chasing and gear-treadmilling that makes old content "obsolete"

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

Calling it a "gear treadmill" you are begging people to not vote for that option.

The reality is that without gear progression players have less goals and therefore, less reason to play the game. Once you have maxed out your levels and gear there is no reason to play that character anymore other than to use it to help others adventure for their gear and level progression.

This is why "uber" gear loot needs to be very rare, and why certain areas need to be too deadly until you have collected a certain gear set that makes your character survivable there.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Originally posted by Ozivois

Calling it a "gear treadmill" you are begging people to not vote for that option.

The reality is that without gear progression players have less goals and therefore, less reason to play the game. Once you have maxed out your levels and gear there is no reason to play that character anymore other than to use it to help others adventure for their gear and level progression.

This is why "uber" gear loot needs to be very rare, and why certain areas need to be too deadly until you have collected a certain gear set that makes your character survivable there.

This is also where Alternate Advancement comes into play. It can take Years to max out a character in EQ1, depending on your play habits. Not to mention, there are new AAs added with every expansion (Which comes about once a year). So, there are other ways to grow your character outside of gear.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here