Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stop denying the terrible, persistant lag

Comments

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by Milander
    Originally posted by Incandela
    Originally posted by Khebeln

I think the issue is with hes bandwidth not the game, i played the beta 1,2,3 A LOT and never had any lag (and i play from europe). No one in my community had such problems either. And the servers are stationed in Canada.

so unless you play from moon, i would contact your ISP and check if they are not lowering priority for FF14 packages. Something like this happen to me in few mmos in the past, had to call my ISP and give it a piece of my mind.

Are you under the impression those are my images? They're not. In case you can't tell, their from three different people. Here's another one focused on the Ifrit fight: http://efryes-lair.net/other/xiv/ifrit-cracks.gif

Since you're a tester, maybe go ahead and gander the 100 page thread on the beta forums I linked. Same goes for everyone else who thinks this is somehow my problem and that their game is perfect.

Ok, what I see there is a small bit of lag that could be a) The game b) someplace inbetween you and the server c) Your crappy connect d)Your crappy computer/PS3....

I've been in the whole phase 3 beta...I will say the falling thing I've seen, but wow, half a second then I say 'ow' no big deal. The only time I've see anything close to the above, is in large fights where there is effects all over the place and I'm trying to tank something. Mind you I am playing on a PS3 and it's wireless.

If you want to remove the problem I would suggest a T1+ or have then install a backbone in your house, that way you wont have lag :)

You are giving advice to the person who is just reposting the GIF's. Read that first line. These. Are. Not. His. They are from MULTIPLE different people, in a 100 page thread. I'm sure allllll those people confirming this must just have junk internet, right?

On the first page alone there are many claiming not to have that same issue, as i said before its not affecting everybody who played.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Wow, this is really popping up now? This problem with movement synchronization is a popular topic on the tester forums since the alpha stage of the relaunch. Initially everyone hoped it would become better once we get off the Japan-based servers, but appearantly that wasn't the only cause of the problem. 

It is not lag, otherwise it would effect everything in the game equally. It doesn't though, skill usage for example is much better. It is definitely a systematic problem with how character and mob movement is handled between the server and clients.

• TheFirst109TheFirst109 Member UncommonPosts: 182
    I have also been playing in all of the betas and haven't experienced lag, especially not anything as noticeable as what you are describing.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Vanazzul

Wait... you are complaining about lag in a beta?

I wish wow had no lag back in beta. Hell I wish wow had no lag in all of vanilla.

And so it begins......

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

They haven't been able to fix it since the original launch, and now theyre a month away from launch #2 without any improvements. Don't let fanboys fool you when they say they "notice nothing", because its a load of bs. Videos have been posted a million times over, but they always get taken down. Luckily images are no longer against the NDA, so anyone on the fence can finally see the truth.

I am no fanboi and I have been in the beta for weeks and have not experienced any lag. I have a very good rig and pay for extra bandwidth so I realize I am playing on a top of the line system with good connection. My experience is that FFXIV has fantastic performance. The game looks and plays great and that is no BS. I am not saying others have not had problems but I have not.  So Incandela that is the truth!

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Well, looking through the threads linked in the Beta forums, SE has moved it to Accepted Issues and will now work on it.

They know it's there. That's all that matters. Let the knights knight. SE got the message <3

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• julizsjulizs Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    Originally posted by Milander

I think the issue is with hes bandwidth not the game, i played the beta 1,2,3 A LOT and never had any lag (and i play from europe). No one in my community had such problems either. And the servers are stationed in Canada.

so unless you play from moon, i would contact your ISP and check if they are not lowering priority for FF14 packages. Something like this happen to me in few mmos in the past, had to call my ISP and give it a piece of my mind.

Are you under the impression those are my images? They're not. In case you can't tell, their from three different people. Here's another one focused on the Ifrit fight: http://efryes-lair.net/other/xiv/ifrit-cracks.gif

Since you're a tester, maybe go ahead and gander the 100 page thread on the beta forums I linked. Same goes for everyone else who thinks this is somehow my problem and that their game is perfect.

Ok, what I see there is a small bit of lag that could be a) The game b) someplace inbetween you and the server c) Your crappy connect d)Your crappy computer/PS3....

I've been in the whole phase 3 beta...I will say the falling thing I've seen, but wow, half a second then I say 'ow' no big deal. The only time I've see anything close to the above, is in large fights where there is effects all over the place and I'm trying to tank something. Mind you I am playing on a PS3 and it's wireless.

If you want to remove the problem I would suggest a T1+ or have then install a backbone in your house, that way you wont have lag :)

Not taking sides here, but he did stay that these were not his images but were from multiple players on a thread in the beta forums.

A lag is a lag. No mater how you look at it. And as long as it only affects 1 person in a group its YOUR connection. ALWAYS!

There are many ways of handling lag and syncing the game between server and client. In the past the sync was a lot more strict, and you simply where ruberbanding  all over the place, unable to move properly due to lost packages. That was 100x worse compared how this is handled today.

Now you are sync. passively, that means if you lag, your character wont ruberband like mad, or create much more game breaking situations. Instead it will have the sync of animations vs data transfered to your pc.

That means you will have what you can see on those screens. By no means its the game fault (at least not in a way you are saying it is)

Ways to fix it ? Get better connection (fixes it ALWAYS) pray they will put a server in your country so you will never lag. You cant really do it any other way. You cant put all the combat calculations on client due to the risk of hacking the data.

I also have this sort of lags. Moonwalking people all the time and late aoe damage. I am located in Central Europe, with 50Mbit/s and a high end machine, disabled anti virus client.

Never experienced any lags in other mmorpgs.

never be enough

Originally posted by Toxia

Well, looking through the threads linked in the Beta forums, SE has moved it to Accepted Issues and will now work on it.

They know it's there. That's all that matters. Let the knights knight. SE got the message <3

I agree. When knights reply with statements like 'but..but WOW had lag in beta too' you know it is all downhill from there.

SE knows it is a known issue and effecting a lot of players and that is all that matters.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I didnt get a stitch of lag. Game ran sooth and IMO perfect. 
  • evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    All of phase 3 and I never had anything like this happen. Can't really label me a fanboy either, I was laughing at the suckers who bought 1.0 when it launched. Maybe it's time to get off dialup OP?
    Originally posted by evilized
    All of phase 3 and I never had anything like this happen. Can't really label me a fanboy either, I was laughing at the suckers who bought 1.0 when it launched. Maybe it's time to get off dialup OP?

So you ignored the posts on official forums regarding lag which has been accepted as a known issue by SE? instead of flaming OP did you give it a thought for a second that maybe there are lot of players who are being effected by this? ofcourse not.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by spankybus

I guess I just don't see what yer posting about as a big problem. I mean, if two minutes after I fell of the cliff, I suddenly took damage...I could see your point. But it was like a half a second.  I guess the delays can bother some but I don't really remember it getting me killed...which would make it a deal breaker for me.

i guess you could argue its immersion-breaking...but then so is the controller in my hand or me crouched in front of my laptop. I guess different people champion different causes...just try not to be so mad about it.

the best news is you aren't ever required to Sub the game mate. You don't even have to read  about it, if it bothers you. Consumer freedom is great, isn't it?

I get what your saying, but 0.5 sec. lag is ALLOT and for me would make any game unplayable.

and besides, ive played WoW since classic and never had half a second lag so i guess over overreacting a little bit.

It would help if OP told some numbers tho.

What is allot of lag ?  100ms?   300ms?

Mostly get arround 60ms in games and that fine, i guess anything '<100ms is fine. 300ms is too much in my book

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

So you ignored the posts on official forums regarding lag which has been accepted as a known issue by SE? instead of flaming OP did you give it a thought for a second that maybe there are lot of players who are being effected by this? ofcourse not.

Taking this a bit serious are we?  Maybe the issue is that all of the people complaining are on dialup?

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

The op has it coming since they claim those of us are fanbois or lying if we have not experienced the lag they do.  That is the reason I responded since he attack those who are having a good experience with FFXIV. Not only am I not a fanboi but I also never liked the FF series much anyway but my experiences with the FFXIV beta has been great so far.

Originally posted by ElirionLoth

Taking this a bit serious are we?  Maybe the issue is that all of the people complaining are on dialup?

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576

Nope I just imagine all the people in that thread are on dialup or machines barely able to run the game. Because it's true.
  • VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Sorry but, doesnt happens to all of us, me for instance.

• julizsjulizs Member Posts: 9

Wow, what an intelligent post. I'm sure no one on dialup would complain about lag in a game. Also if they all were on dialup, SE wouldnt have added the lags on the issue list they are working on. And lastly, i for example also have this lag and have a 50mbit connection.

never be enough

Nope I just imagine all the people in that thread are on dialup or machines barely able to run the game. Because it's true.

Thanks for keeping up with the status quo here. Every time players have problems related to lags or other technical issues with MMOS, we have fans like yourself who would put all blame on the players because there is no possibility that something is actually wrong with the game.....otherwise it will shatter all your dreams and hopes for a game that you so desperately want to be absolutely 'perfect'.

Also i like how you assume things and then say 'it is true'. 

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

There is obviously a balance between ppl not lagging and ppl who are lagging so how the people who are blaming the game take into perspective that maybe it is not the game and that it could be an issue between you and the servers? maybe an issue with your IP, maybe your PC? you cannot just blatantly blame the game if the issue is only persistent with a minorty of the playerbase.

I never had any issues connecting from Sydney Australia, played near religiously the last phase of beta and never once had a issue with lag. Maybe the game has got some issues with lag but to blame it solely on the game is just ignorant as it is clear that this was not affecting everyone, so think about it, IF it was the games fault because of the lag, why was not everyone affected?.......because it is not just the game that is the issue here.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

They haven't been able to fix it since the original launch, and now theyre a month away from launch #2 without any improvements. Don't let fanboys fool you when they say they "notice nothing", because its a load of bs. Videos have been posted a million times over, but they always get taken down. Luckily images are no longer against the NDA, so anyone on the fence can finally see the truth.

How anyone can hype this garbage is beyond my comprehension.

So I'm sure you posted this in the beta forums and wrote up a test ticket about it, right? Stress testing couldn't possibly be a reason for it - I mean, that isn't what beta is for, is it?

And with constructive, helpful and respectful comments like your last sentence show that you are in beta for the right reasons.

And it seems your tirade has fallen on deaf ears, no one here has followed your command to 'stop denying' - I wonder why not.

You are right though, I do see a lot of B.S. here - although not from the fanbois.

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by julizs

Wow, what an intelligent post. I'm sure no one on dialup would complain about lag in a game. Also if they all were on dialup, SE wouldnt have added the lags on the issue list they are working on. And lastly, i for example also have this lag and have a 50mbit connection.

You know that fast connections dont equals stable connections right ? Its commons sense.

What games need is stable connection more than a fast one. If you are loosing packages on the way or back to the server you will have lag or ruberbadning.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

Because I think you should have your choice of flavors, Senator Palpatine :-)

I guess I just don't see what yer posting about as a big problem. I mean, if two minutes after I fell of the cliff, I suddenly took damage...I could see your point. But it was like a half a second.  I guess the delays can bother some but I don't really remember it getting me killed...which would make it a deal breaker for me.

i guess you could argue its immersion-breaking...but then so is the controller in my hand or me crouched in front of my laptop. I guess different people champion different causes...just try not to be so mad about it.

the best news is you aren't ever required to Sub the game mate. You don't even have to read  about it, if it bothers you. Consumer freedom is great, isn't it?

I wouldn't constitute what the OP is saying as 'Haterade' if what he's saying is true. In an MMO, any type of ability or combat delay is a big deal. If there is a constant lag for triggering abilities or effects, it will change how you play and hurt the game immensely. Again, this is all assuming what the OP is saying is true - that it's something that's been there since pre 1.0 - to me, this is a big deal and deserves to be discussed. 

Not saying that he is or is not wrong...just that he seemed just a bit upset about it...specifically, that others are not  having the same problem. I know i am not and I am in Florida. No idea where the NA data centers are, but I don't remember thinking WTF as I clicked a skill which did not fire off immediately. My skills were always instant, assuming the GCD was ready.

With the AoE attacked, I assumed that was intentional. if you got out of the way fast enough, the attack wouldn't hurt you. If you didnt get out in time, it gets you. I guess the latency with people seeing themselves clear of the spell effect but still taking damage is an issue for some people. My brain just understands that  I didn't get away fast enough and though my client shows me away, the server did not. /shrug 

I might be the last guy to ask about crap like this...i just don't take it all very seriously anymore. If its fun, i play. So far, its fun. I haven't have anything like the OP described happen to me. Not sure why.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by julizs

Hmm, speaking of intelligent, you see the first question I asked?  It seems to suggest that maybe my post is not being completely serious wouldn't you think?  Also, I didn't make any statements hence the "?" at the end of my sentences.  Maybe if I threw in a bunch of emoticons you could understand better? 

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

I know i am not and I am in Florida. No idea where the NA data centers are, but I don't remember thinking WTF as I clicked a skill which did not fire off immediately. My skills were always instant, assuming the GCD was ready.

Skills are not affected by this problem, at least not as much, it is specific to movement and positioning, both of your character as well as mobs. It isn't lag in the real sense of that word.

But you're right, since it is totally consistent, hence predictable, you can easily train yourself to deal with it when it comes to dodging AOEs (move sooner) or hitting moving targets (don't). It's not a game breaker, just ... i don't know, inconvenient?

This discussion has been closed.