Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arenanet added something amazing to the game just now. Kites.

Comments

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290
    I can't imagine the need for so many pages of garbage over this. But I will say....free? Free to who? Because I never spent real life money? I traded gold for gems....why does this not count?
  • ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by ichihaifu
    Originally posted by Tokken

Not many people on anymore.... you noticed? the game needs help, maybe kites will bring them back (LOL)...

I dont know what game you play, but the state of this one game I play is very healthy. And if the tradeoff for not having whiners like you in there is to have monsters to fight, I cant complain.

Also there is something called prime hours, people cant be on always.

Picture just to prove you wrong. In here you can see how bad the game is doing. EU servers are not at high as this point because people are working.

it has already been discovered (long time ago) that Arenanet uses this screen only to indicate the amount of players who have their account on these "home" servers. This is NOT a measure of how many players are ONLINE at any given moment and isnt in any way an indicator of player online activity.

soooo theres your bubble burst. or more appropriately, a tear in your kite.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

RAWR HOW DARE THEY MAKE KITES INSTEAD OF FIXING BUGS AND PVP AND ADDING DUNGEONS AND END GAME AND RAAAAAWR!!!

Am I too late?!?! Did I miss the rage?!?! Oh, how I love the seething hardcore gamer nerd rage!!!

DEATH TO FLUFF!!!! GIVE ME STATS! HARDCORE STATS AND GEAR!!!!

They can take my life, but they will never take...my PROGRESSION!!!!

RAWR!!!

Originally posted by Reehay

Not many people on anymore.... you noticed? the game needs help, maybe kites will bring them back (LOL)...

I dont know what game you play, but the state of this one game I play is very healthy. And if the tradeoff for not having whiners like you in there is to have monsters to fight, I cant complain.

Picture just to prove you wrong. In here you can see how bad the game is doing. EU servers are not at high as this point because people are working.

it has already been discovered (long time ago) that Arenanet uses this screen only to indicate the amount of players who have their account on these "home" servers. This is NOT a measure of how many players are ONLINE at any given moment and isnt in any way an indicator of player online activity.

I know that's not true because it changes quite often, sometimes hourly. So either thousands of people are paying for server swaps constantly or it does give some indication of people playing. Either way I would guess Arenanet is making a lot of money lol.

Besides, on my server I still frequently get tossed into the overflow server in low and mid level zones. I'd say that's a good indication.

Originally posted by Volkon

I did log in yesterday and saw the kites. TONS of people in Lion's Arch showing them off. They were pretty cool even though they have little significance.

They do signify the fact that people are actively using the cash shop. That helps show the health of the game and the fact that revenues are still flowing nicely with their B2P model.

Also the fact that their development team is growing to the point where they have 4 separate teams just working on living world content updates which are coming every two weeks now. Also, they are debating if they want to release paid expansions or not. That says a lot right there, if they feel like they might not even need paid expansions? They must be doing pretty well off the cash shop/box sales. Most MMOs start lowering their staffing at this point after launch not increasing it.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Reehay

What are you going on about? That's been proven to be a load of crap. Full servers have had blackout events (where large numbers of people, usually most of the WvW community) log off at the same time to push it to "very high" so guilds can transfer their people over.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Where the hell are things like fishing?  I think ANet has really fallen from greatness.  This game could have been so much more than a plain old themepark with kiddish garbage in it.  I always enjoyed the special events in Guild Wars 1, but now the whole game is just simple and cutesy.

Fishing was by far my least favorite type of event in WoW.  Fishing is boring in real life too. 

Oh, and little kids fish in real life, better not to add it... they might offend some really anal people.

Oh yeah, it was real boring when I caught a 50lb Mahi Mahi (Bull Dorado) in Cabo last month. Fishing is boring when you don't know how to fish, sparky.

Whether or not YOU consider fishing (and other such things) in games boring is irrelevant to me and others who enjoy this and other non-combat gameplay.  

So what are you saying, anyway?  That walking around with a retarded kite/balloon is somehow more interesting than traveling around the game world, fishing waters, pulling up rares and treasures, etc?

Hell fishing isn't even the real point of my post.  The game is utterly boring for anyone who wants some depth of gameplay and character enjoyment.  But hey, you've got kites now!!!

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by STYNKFYST
    I can't imagine the need for so many pages of garbage over this. But I will say....free? Free to who? Because I never spent real life money? I traded gold for gems....why does this not count?

Because it's free to real-money supporters.  Those that purchased gems with real $$ between April and the end of June got this as a good will item.  In game it costs 500 gems, which you can still purchase with your gold all you'd like and it would still be "free" for you.  But those who have been paying for the content for this game are getting an addition to their payments (like a subscriber perk or something).

Again, this isn't exclusive where you can't obtain the item at all.  You can still buy it with $$ right now, or you can buy it with gold right now.  

On topic:

I love my kite.  My guild mates love their kites too.   They're a fun little thing that's just an enjoyable aspect of the game.  We were all doing kite dancing while waiting at the finish line of our Guild Missions just yesterday.  

The kites are not immersion breaking seeing as how they're totally related to the Zepherites from the Zephrym Sanctum.   There's three types of kites based on the three fundamental aspects they have: Sun, Wind, Lightning.   The whole city/trade society of the Zepherites floats above the clouds with kite-based massive sails floating about in every which way. 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Where the hell are things like fishing?  I think ANet has really fallen from greatness.  This game could have been so much more than a plain old themepark with kiddish garbage in it.  I always enjoyed the special events in Guild Wars 1, but now the whole game is just simple and cutesy.

Fishing was by far my least favorite type of event in WoW.  Fishing is boring in real life too. 

Oh, and little kids fish in real life, better not to add it... they might offend some really anal people.

Oh yeah, it was real boring when I caught a 50lb Mahi Mahi (Bull Dorado) in Cabo last month. Fishing is boring when you don't know how to fish, sparky.

Whether or not YOU consider fishing (and other such things) in games boring is irrelevant to me and others who enjoy this and other non-combat gameplay.  

So what are you saying, anyway?  That walking around with a retarded kite/balloon is somehow more interesting than traveling around the game world, fishing waters, pulling up rares and treasures, etc?

Hell fishing isn't even the real point of my post.  The game is utterly boring for anyone who wants some depth of gameplay and character enjoyment.  But hey, you've got kites now!!!

Donkey talk right there.

*Did he really just say donkey? Really? As in implying that he talking out the ass? Really?!?!?!?!?!*

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by sk8chalif
    This is way better then the balloons from wow -.-

Pfft WoW has had kites for ages, also has hot air balloons, when will devs stop copying WoW.. jk

• johaocarljohaocarl Member UncommonPosts: 111
    13 pages and counting...
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by johaocarl
    13 pages and counting...

Why does this thread get to this length and yet when someone posts GW2 will release real content, it gets 5? Not 5 pages, 5 posts.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    13 pages and counting...

Why does this thread get to this length and yet when someone posts GW2 will release real content, it gets 5? Not 5 pages, 5 posts.

The real problem is not that people like free kites, the real problem is that some people like GW2.

And some trolls cannot live in a world where people like GW2...

That is the reason this thread will go for a lot more pages... and it will ever happen until some people learn to live with the idea there are a lot of people that likes GW2.

13 pages and counting...

The real problem is not that people like free kites, the real problem is that some people like GW2.

That is the reason this thread will go for a lot more pages... and it will ever happen until some people learn to live with the idea there are a lot of people that likes GW2.

I get people who wanted to offer legit criticism of GW2. I know, I'm one. But I try to be fair and at the same time, I'll defend the game where it deserves it. But yeah, the people in this thread who are bashing kites. Have every right to do so provided they are asking ANET to also provide them with some permanent content as well. OK, so now they are. I am happy about this. I will log back in and run those fractals. I'll even bring my kite along. But to everyone who blows up saying Kites is not content (I agree) should at least acknowledge that ANET is doing something else. So on the issue of content, I'll speak the truth. Yeah, I feel ANET dropped the ball with Living Story and too much fluff, but adding new Fractals is definitely a good step in the right direction.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    They areruining what could have been en epic game withtheir childish updates, sure they are fun, but they have nothing to do with the epic world an mmo should be.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    There was actually a time or two way back in the day when something so ridiculous would have had me finding ways to annoy the **** out of people with it. But then, that was a lot of years ago and these days it would just annoy the **** out of me to even have it on offer. But to put it into perspective, these flashy cartoony games they have around now have to do things to cater to children once in awhile, they can't live on simplistic mechanics and hand holding alone.
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    They areruining what could have been en epic game withtheir childish updates, sure they are fun, but they have nothing to do with the epic world an mmo should be.

The only ones I hate are the one's I can't turn off. It's irritating as all hell, when a player intentionally find the most annoying tone in the bell and spams it endlessly. Or the Mad King comedy act. OMG, get new jokes or at least give me an option in my settings to mute those freakin things.

13 pages and counting...

I get people who wanted to offer legit criticism of GW2. I know, I'm one. But I try to be fair and at the same time, I'll defend the game where it deserves it. But yeah, the people in this thread who are bashing kites. Have every right to do so provided they are asking ANET to also provide them with some permanent content as well. OK, so now they are. I am happy about this. I will log back in and run those fractals. I'll even bring my kite along. But to everyone who blows up saying Kites is not content (I agree) should at least acknowledge that ANET is doing something else. So on the issue of content, I'll speak the truth. Yeah, I feel ANET dropped the ball with Living Story and too much fluff, but adding new Fractals is definitely a good step in the right direction.

Kites are permanent content...

Sincerelly, everyone can see  this forum problem when a thread that starts with "GW2 Ruined Combat for me" have 17 pages and other thread that starts with "GW2's combat is a messy clusterfuck" have only two posts: any positive thread is attacked by a legion of trolls and only the positive threads end being pages and pages of posts.

Guys, there is nothing wrong with this thread op opinion, he have all right to like kites and to like free kites. Take note he is not the only one: http://healingthemasses.wordpress.com/2013/07/17/kites-are-purrrty/

The problem at this forum is that there are people that think it is important to prove it is wrong to like GW2, for any real or imaginary reason. The length of this thread, that is just about kites, proves it.

The truth is that everyone have the right to like the game they like and that includes GW2.

But I am not sure that trolls have the right to hijack the threads for try prove to who like the game they cannot like the game. Mostly because it will be ridiculous. Like this thread.

Maybe these trolls can give a better use to their time playing the games they like and forgeting this forum. They are only proving their stupidity.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Oh yeah, it was real boring when I caught a 50lb Mahi Mahi (Bull Dorado) in Cabo last month.

Well look at that, they do make very realistic fishing games these days.  My point was, adding something boring to a game you consider boring isn't going to do much.  Your description about how EXCITING in-game fishing is was precious though.

Do you even play GW2?

PS: You missed my point harder than anyone has ever missed a point, ever.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

The ignorance is strong in this thread.

No matter, I have no issue with Kites. I actually might buy one, I find they're the right kind of fluff. I'm not all too worried about how the content in the game's doing, it's going pretty strong if you ask me.

Gonna be supporting Evon Gnashblade on the 23rd. "I’ll sponsor important Fractals of the Mist research into the Fall of Abaddon, to be completed by the end of the year" Yes please.

Edit; while I was at it (visiting these boards, that is) I put in an additional obnoxiously large signature with all my characters. Enjoy.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
  • SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by Arthasm
    What happened to the barrel?

What barrel?

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama
    Guys a new barrel has been added to the capital city, its AMAZING!

This one. :D

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Arthasm
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama
    Guys a new barrel has been added to the capital city, its AMAZING!

This one. :D

It launched a sneak attack on my mesmer. Fortunately I was able to dodge the second attack, transfer the conditions it applied onto me back to the barrel while stealing its boons, knock it back with a greatsword swipe (interrupting the next attack as well), then send in a phantasm to damage and cripple it while I finished it off with bolts of chaotic energy from afar. (Greatswords make great ranged weapons.)

The barrel didn't survive.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Volkon 

It launched a sneak attack on my mesmer. Fortunately I was able to dodge the second attack, transfer the conditions it applied onto me back to the barrel while stealing its boons, knock it back with a greatsword swipe (interrupting the next attack as well), then send in a phantasm to damage and cripple it while I finished it off with bolts of chaotic energy from afar. (Greatswords make great ranged weapons.)

The barrel didn't survive.

I heard they're planning a GTA V crossover, a new world boss called Primordus' Toolshed.  It's gonna be AMAZING!