Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Wushu movie OR World of Warcraft movie. Which will be bigger? go!

Comments

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Snail will find a way to screw up the AoW movie even with Jet Li.  WoW wins.  Nice try at splitting the opposition with your poll (one choice for AoW and two choices against). 
  • SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

[mod edit] First, Age of Wushu would be a better movie most guaranteed. Jet Li is a big pull and for a VIDEO based game, it would do well. Second, WoW the Movie is just gonna be far too "hollywooded" to really be anything better than a glorified game trailer lasting like an hour and a half. 

I'd like both to do well, simply because I am a lover of movies. But Age Of Wushu is the better bet. 

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Ya know what? You guys may be right. A good action movie would do better than a movie based off of a MMO. Action would bring in a wider fan base than a game movie would. You wouldn't even need to know what AoW was to enjoy a good flick. But non WoW people (like me) would get lost in a movie based on WoW.

So there ya go. One mind changed. Bring on AoW movie!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Age of Wushu? who? 

Obviously World of Warcraft. This is no brainer.

Were talking worldwide now. Remember Wushu has more players than WoW worldwide, PLUS there are more martial arts fans than mmorpg gamers.

You gonna take you girl to go see a WoW movie or a movie staring Jet Li, like Hero?

You're assuming Mr T and Chuck Norris wouldn't be in the WoW movie. You're also assuming an AoW movie would get more exposure or reach than a WoW movie because, in most cases, that's what allows for and defines 'bigger' in almost every sense of the term.

Before you get butthurt that I'm not fawning all over Wushu, I said nothing of which may or may not make for a better movie, as that was not your question.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

There's no question that AoW would win by a landslide in China,Wuxia will always win in China above everything else ,Worldwide though it would be closer IMO.

Of course this assumes both films are of equal quality.Either equally bad or equally good.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    [mod edit] 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by austriacus

@above hope they get him too!

Idk guys 9 million WoW gamers ain't much compared to the Wushu Jet Li Martial Arts movie army! image

IM pretty sure WoW has more registered players than age of wushu (been out longet). And that is enough to go spend a few bucks out of curiosity to see the movie of a game you once tried.

You're pretty wrong. Age of Wushu 15-20 million players. So your gonna have to come with a better scenario that that image

My guildie said if WoW had Russel Crow as Arthas and James Earl Jones as the voice of his father, and some celeb lady as Janna it could be big. That's the best WoW scenario I've heard thus far image That's kinda Epic. "No MORE!!!!"

Again you are assuming that out side of 9 million playerbase no one else know about WOW. WOW is pretty famous and is even know by those who do not play MMOS. They have heard about it, they have seen it and with big Hollywood names attached to it you are telling me WOW won't be a huge success? in my opinion AOW won't even come close.

I love Jet Lee movies , i have seen every single one  but if you think AOW movie with Jet Lee will have bigger pull world wide than WOW..well you are just letting your feelings for AOW get better of you. 

Moreover 15 to 20 million are not active players but those who are registered. Not evena fair comparison considering WOW is a P2P MMO.

AOW will do well in china no doubt but WOW will not only do better in Asian market but also in West / Europe as well as countries like India, Brazil etc..which have legions of WOW fans.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

Idk guys 9 million WoW gamers ain't much compared to the Wushu Jet Li Martial Arts movie army! image

IM pretty sure WoW has more registered players than age of wushu (been out longet). And that is enough to go spend a few bucks out of curiosity to see the movie of a game you once tried.

You're pretty wrong. Age of Wushu 15-20 million players. So your gonna have to come with a better scenario that that image

My guildie said if WoW had Russel Crow as Arthas and James Earl Jones as the voice of his father, and some celeb lady as Janna it could be big. That's the best WoW scenario I've heard thus far image That's kinda Epic. "No MORE!!!!"

If this is the kind of source you give to prove your point... All I see there is made up numbers that comes out of nowhere and without a working link to the main page of Snailgameusa. If you think this is a trusted source... Also, since the game is F2P, I'm pretty sure those numbers are for registered players and not actual players, so those numbers doesn't mean anything since its common for F2P MMO to have such numbers as registered.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Can you please read what i said? I said registered players, not active.  WoW has been out longer than AoW. Easily 40m people have registered for the bloody game, both in china and the west. And just having heard and registered for g ame is enough to go see a movie of it.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by bartoni33

Ya know what? You guys may be right. A good action movie would do better than a movie based off of a MMO. Action would bring in a wider fan base than a game movie would. You wouldn't even need to know what AoW was to enjoy a good flick. But non WoW people (like me) would get lost in a movie based on WoW.

So there ya go. One mind changed. Bring on AoW movie!

imageexactly! 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Warcraft needs a movie
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Everyone knows WoW.  EVERYONE.  Jet Li is pretty popular, but a well-made Warcraft movie could destroy box office sales.  Besides, I didn't like Crouching Tiger, I doubt I'd care about Wushu.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Mantra: I will not make fun of this thread. I will not make fun of this thread.

Oh hell, let's just cut out the middle man and save time.

[mod edit]

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Eir_S
    Everyone knows WoW.  EVERYONE.  Jet Li is pretty popular, but a well-made Warcraft movie could destroy box office sales.  Besides, I didn't like Crouching Tiger, I doubt I'd care about Wushu.

Outside of the gaming community, for all the wrong reasons. 

Are those people gonna choose the "evil," "addicting" warcraft movie or some good ol wholesome Jet Li, Wushu butt kicking?

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Despite his popularity in Asia, none of Jet Li's movie is anywhere close to a US blockbuster.

And there are plenty of martial arts movies made in HK & China. Age of Wushu would not stand out in anyway.

Hero grossed almost 200 million worldwide. Jet Li is averaging a little over 200 million gross per film.

Not really. Even movies like Fearless (which is great) does not gross anything close to 200M.

Plus, 200M ww is small potential compared to US blockbuster. Iron man 3 made more than $1.2B.

200M would deem a flop for a tentpole (like Superman Returns).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1300854/business?ref_=tt_dt_bus it only made 400mil not 1.2B. Also Wow would def win this because its wow...im sure their budget will be 10 times bigger than Age of Wushu. And will proly have big names in it too!

Are those people gonna choose the "evil," "addicting" warcraft movie or some good ol wholesome Jet Li, Wushu butt kicking?

Well like someone said, the style of movie may sell big in China, but I don't see it doing well here.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Jet Li is getting kind of old and there is a huge cultural barrier.  I mean, in the west right now, Game of Thrones is HUGE.  You can't tell me that fantasy-hungry cinema fans aren't going to eat up a Warcraft film.

lol "evil" and "addicting".  It's a movie.  If people aren't getting upset over Harry Potter or Twilight anymore, they're not going to care about the Lich King.

By the way, someone might have mentioned it already, but who's to say WoW will not (ie: will definitely have) bigger names than Jet Li?

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Age of Wushu? who? 

Were talking worldwide now. Remember Wushu has more players than WoW worldwide, PLUS there are more martial arts fans than mmorpg gamers.

You gonna take you girl to go see a WoW movie or a movie staring Jet Li, like Hero?

"Players"

I think you meant accounts. A player would be indicative of a sentient being controlling a playable character would it not?

However you have to ask yourself what would a studio choose, if they HAD to choose. You're looking sound quality, animation quality, budget production. Everything that makes up the game would come into consideration.

Also that last part about taking a girl to see a "Jet li" movie it'd have to be Ocean Paradise, not only have his movies been hovering around a 5/10, but finding a woman with similar cinematography tastes as Katherine Moennig would probably be more trouble than the development cycle of an mmo.

Anyways the OP is probably a 12 year old who has yet to fully grasp how the world works. However OP, you keep thinking that Wushu actually has more players, because it warms my heart in the dumbest way possible.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Do you know anything about humans? Not only are they gona go in droves because of that, the movie studio is gona use it in their comercials

I can already see it

"Prepare to watch the most addicting game on the planet come to life! This summer coming to theaters!"

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

In general, if you would ask the average person in the US the question "have you heard of World of Warcraft"?, I think most would know what that is. Age of Wushu, they would probably say "what is that?" I'm not not sure about China, but I'm guessing WoW is still well known compared to AoW. Yes 20 million players there is a lot, but when you are talking of over a billion people, that really isn't that much.

Age of Wushu themes have been done over and over. World of Warcraft imho would be more unique and have more appeal.

The real question isn't what will be bigger, but what is more enjoyable. I voted for WoW simply because it has the lore that would make it better.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

LMAO !

Really, 15 to 20 million players ? All playing currently ? How many active servers do they have now, 200 or 300 or maybe 500 even ? 

C'mon, you do know that F2P games never actually "LOSE" any players, don't you ? Their player numbers only ever increase, because every single person that created an account since the start of open beta becomes part of the "registered player" total, regardless if they only played for 5mins then uninstalled...

Well like someone said, the style of movie may sell big in China, but I don't see it doing well here.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Jet Li is getting kind of old and there is a huge cultural barrier.  I mean, in the west right now, Game of Thrones is HUGE.  You can't tell me that fantasy-hungry cinema fans aren't going to eat up a Warcraft film.

lol "evil" and "addicting".  It's a movie.  If people aren't getting upset over Harry Potter or Twilight anymore, they're not going to care about the Lich King.

By the way, someone might have mentioned it already, but who's to say WoW will not (ie: will definitely have) bigger names than Jet Li?

I mentioned it. Thinking that WoW will be a cinematic, my guildie sad They could get Russel Crow voice for Arthas and James Earl Jones for his father. That's their only chance! Otherwise it get steam rolled by The Crouching Tiger, Hero Jet Li martial arts action movie train!

• versulasversulas Member UncommonPosts: 288

Age of what now? Get real, son...

Plus, how many times has Jet Li said xx movie will be the "last" one he'll ever be in? I'm not sure that many people would care any more. I think the last time I saw him was in a minor role during the Expendables.

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

Age of Wushu? who? 

"Players"

I think you meant accounts. A player would be indicative of a sentient being controlling a playable character would it not?

However you have to ask yourself what would a studio choose, if they HAD to choose. You're looking sound quality, animation quality, budget production. Everything that makes up the game would come into consideration.

Also that last part about taking a girl to see a "Jet li" movie it'd have to be Ocean Paradise, not only have his movies been hovering around a 5/10, but finding a woman with similar cinematography tastes as Katherine Moennig would probably be more trouble than the development cycle of an mmo.

Anyways the OP is probably a 12 year old who has yet to fully grasp how the world works. However OP, you keep thinking that Wushu actually has more players, because it warms my heart in the dumbest way possible.

I believe many in this thread are comparing active paid accounts (the WoW numbers cited) to total accounts (the AoW numbers cited).  AoW accounts are being counted whether the are active or not.  I know there are four inactive AoW accounts in my household that will never be logged into again that are probably in the AoW numbers.  If you add up all of the WoW accounts ever made I'm sure their numbers are way higher than AoW's numbers. 

When they announce the cast, this poll should be redone, even though it's already sadly not in favor of Wushu.

"Which will be bigger?

Russel Crowe, Scarlett Johansen, Clint Eastwood, Liam Neeson, Jamie Foxx, Emma Stone, Samuel L. Jackson World of Warcraft

or

Jet Li Wushu"

Why add his name if you weren't seriously doubting confidence in the poll?  Very premature discussion, really.  You know Blizzard is going to shock the world when it releases the casting news.