Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you accept a totally free to play mmo? - with adverts

Comments

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Personally, I think it would be great. If the gameplay and everything was good enough, I probably wouldn't even mind slinging my Mc Sword brought to me by Coca~Cola and AMC Theaters. Who wouldn't want the Taco Bell Hammer of Bowel Destruction (which I order about once a week anyway).

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Lithuanian

However, it is difficult for me to imagine something like this in Western games. McTown? KFC-laser canon? Dell armor? Intel sword? Nokia battle cruiser? And what good ads are if no one clicks on them? Just impressions show? How to make it usefull and unintrusive? If you have medieval town where crafter sell crossbows and repair shields - how would McDOnalds look like? 

See you are just taking it to the rediculous. In a modern setting game you would only need the brand presence on billboards etc to work. Or radio ads on ambient radios as you pass by them. Even just having the actual buildings present is advertisement enough. Maybe go to a real store (Target etc) for clothes shopping, and purchase real brands for your character to wear. If you see something in game that you want to wear in real life, you can get directed to online shopping via an in store NPC. They could also easily offer cross promotions in-game, like save the employees / building from an attack and you get a discount voucher to use in store. Not brand themed armour or weaponry.

Games like TSW and Champions Online already use fake products, usually humerous, on billboards littered around the town, would it really be that inconcievable to replace them with real ads? In a modern setting noone should really think twice about it, I mean these games already have fake ads trying to replicate real life.

As for the brainwashing thing, well yeah, but weak willed people will always be swayed by snake oil salesmen.

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882

Anarchy Online did this.  Actually worked too, had me impulse buying Burger King Mushroom and Swiss burgers because the commercial would play every time you went back to the hub to upgrade your parts.

Better to head over to Gamasutra and see if there's a post mortum .......nevermind, I went and did it for ya.

Anarchy Online in game ads

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Absolutely no fees at all. Download and play every part of it. Shop items bought only through in game currency.

- but the game cost is subsidized by adverts - either through product placement, signage etc. Or through actual adverts at character sign on, or during flight.

Would you play..........?

Thing is, advertising doesn't work as well in games as the (initially overeager) marketers thought it might.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I will probably get tired of adverts in game.

And when I'm starting to dislike the game for any other reason, these adverts will probably play a huge role in the final decision to completely stop playing.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Absolutely no fees at all. Download and play every part of it. Shop items bought only through in game currency.

- but the game cost is subsidized by adverts - either through product placement, signage etc. Or through actual adverts at character sign on, or during flight.

No, I would not play this, not even try it, not even download it. YUCK. Like we haven't had ten million adverts thrown in our faces over the decades already.

I play MMOs to get away from advertizing!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by dgarbini

Yes.

I have complained that this was an untapped venue for quite a while.  It works for TV and boosts movies quite a bit, why not games?

It works fine in several genres and platforms of games, however MMO is one platform where it has not gone over well. One objection is that of paying a monthly fee and receiving ads, despite how in some countries the populace has collectively bent over and taken that one silently from cable, movie theatres, and other entertainment sources. Another objection is that it breaks immersion. Both are valid concerns, the latter being a very difficult hurdle as most MMOs are fantasy themed.

Ads in the games seem to add immersion and realism for sports and racing games, but outside of that, I'm not sure they go over well.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Not me.

I can handle them on websites, but when I actually put my game hat on, I find advertising grates my nerves instantly.  It also tends to correlate with a lot of scummy behaviour (once I'm no longer the one paying the bills, I'm no longer the one being serverd and spyware seems to follow)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by maplestone

Not me.

I can handle them on websites, but when I actually put my game hat on, I find advertising grates my nerves instantly.  It also tends to correlate with a lot of scummy behaviour (once I'm no longer the one paying the bills, I'm no longer the one being serverd and spyware seems to follow)

Really depends on the setting, i coud handle them in a game like Tsw, because of the setting.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    If "The Secret World" was done right, and not with just tiny zones scattered over the world, having a McDonald or a Microsoft advertisement wouldn't be intrusive, but would actually add to the immersion.

And what's odd is that ANarchy Online used to have adverts in the game but it didn't feel  right in the year 29000+.....Seeing WIll Ferrell in a basketball uni was about as out of place as it gets.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Kyleran No, I can play several titles right now totally free with no adverts, prefer to keep it that way.
    This 100%. Adding ads would be a step backwards, there are 100% free games today with no ads.

I'll "Third" that. There are a lot of things I'll put up with, but for some reason advertisements aren't one of them.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

It wouldn't be "free".

It would cost my time to view such ads, and since devs would be under the gun to "force" players to interact with the ads to justify cost of ad placement, I can guarantee it would cost player time, and lots of it.

Before we debate the "free-ness" of a topic it must be defined.

I suspect most would accept the ads, there are examples of that now. But to generate the revenue to support development and publishing of a game, you need a HUGE source of income. To get that from advertisers you need to prove that the players are at minimum seeing the ads. Meaning it will become obtrusive.

As a supplemental income I see great promise, but again it is a "slippery slope". Not everyone involved is all about a "great game". In fact most employees, stock holders, and management have a goal of making money. So, if the door opens to a new revenue source, they will do all they can to exploit it. Example: It used to be that a 30 minute TV block consisted of 26 minutes of programming, and 4 of non. Now it is 22 minutes of programming, and 8 of non.

• GreezGreez Member Posts: 103
    No. F2P games already distract too much, I don't want to be reminded I am playing a game while trying to immerse myself in the world.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

I play a game based only on how much the game appeals to me not the pay model.  My argument for f2p is I have never come across a p2p that offered me more in gaming experience.  If the game I've always dreamed about were to come along but be funded by in-your-face all the time annoying adds I would probably quit to avoid frustration.  Stress is not what I am looking for in a game.  

Now say the game was sim-like and the adds appeared tactfully on billboards or radio stations or tv in this cyber reality.   I would be like this is way way cool.  But no one on earth today remembers what tactful means except us old farts who used to read about paladins, knights, and virginal drawn unicorns.  Let alone advertising agents who are as tactful as news reporters at a mass homicide.

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182
    I would not be likely to play this game at all. Too much "baggage" comes along with so called free games. Also, I get enough ads IRL, I don't want them in my "away time".

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• BrinaghBrinagh Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

However, such a thing could probably never work. There wouldn't be enough money brought in to cover the cost of a high quality AAA product.

Works great for tv. TV dramas costs like $2M an episode to make. A season is like $40M .. not unlike MMO budgets.

This isn't true in regards to TV.   People do not realize that it is the high cost of those dramas is what is causing cable pricing to continuously rise by such high amounts.  Those cable channels do make a good portion of their income through the advertising revenue, but also do charge the people watching those channels a good amount as well.   The ever rising cost of cable service is not due to the cable companies just chosing to raise their rates, but due to the fact that the channels charge for carraige.  In many instances what those channels are charging have been increasing by 12% or MORE to cover those dramas that cost $2M an episode to make.   So point is comparing it to tv, there would be advertising, but you would also pay an amount to play as well.   Because TV stations receive their incomes both ways.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by Brinagh

However, such a thing could probably never work. There wouldn't be enough money brought in to cover the cost of a high quality AAA product.

Works great for tv. TV dramas costs like $2M an episode to make. A season is like $40M .. not unlike MMO budgets.

This isn't true in regards to TV.   People do not realize that it is the high cost of those dramas is what is causing cable pricing to continuously rise by such high amounts.  Those cable channels do make a good portion of their income through the advertising revenue, but also do charge the people watching those channels a good amount as well.   The ever rising cost of cable service is not due to the cable companies just chosing to raise their rates, but due to the fact that the channels charge for carraige.  In many instances what those channels are charging have been increasing by 12% or MORE to cover those dramas that cost $2M an episode to make.   So point is comparing it to tv, there would be advertising, but you would also pay an amount to play as well.   Because TV stations receive their incomes both ways.

And those commercial actors need that diving board to jump into tv and movies so in the end everyone gets paid and eats good at night.  But what you are really saying is a f2p game could not run on adds only because cost.  I'm not buying it.  Look at all the internet adds.  If you don't want to pay the actors (or illustrators or cartoonists w/e) what they are asking then just hire cheaper actors.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Ads would have to be disconnected from gameplay, no UI with adverts or ingame references, items, places, names etc. During login and when zoning is ok, but it can't be a part of the actual gameplay. It is not that I would be happy about ads but atleast it is a more honest way of funding a game than "free to play".

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Broadcast tv is free. There are plenty of expensively produced F2W (free to watch) ad-supported tv. Cable channels like HBO are P2W .. and i am not talking about them.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Interesting idea, but if they continue the revenue model they now have they will keep subscriptions, micros transactions and add adverts as well. Kerrching!
  • BrinaghBrinagh Member UncommonPosts: 7

Broadcast tv is free. There are plenty of expensively produced F2W (free to watch) ad-supported tv. Cable channels like HBO are P2W .. and i am not talking about them.

This comment on Broadcast TV is free is exactly like the argument on whether or not F2P games are free.  So many people argue that they are not "free" because of cash shops.  

Broadcast TV is similar.   Yes...you can get Broadcast tv free.  If you live close enough to the station  and you do not subscribe to any cable service or satellite system you will not pay anything for those locals.   They may not be best quality, but you will get them.

However if you subscribe to any level of Cable TV service or Satellite, you are paying for your locals.  All of those stations charge the satellite companies and cable networks for the ability to carry.   These stations are increasing their prices just as much as the stations people think are the only ones they are paying for.   You pay for every station you have....and in some cases even stations you don't.    There is not a single channel that your provider gets free of charge, and they of course pass those charges on to you as a subscriber. 

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

no... fu ads... they are fking everywhere.. thanks god for adblock, i would like something like adblock for real life too :P

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Y'all can't even agree on what advertisements are suitable for this website. With all the bitching about mis-spelled words, boobs, no boobs, side boobs, people smoking, plants growing out of animal heads, strobing ads, static ads, background ads, too many ads, not enough ads, on this website alone and you people WANT more ads?!?    Inside games?!?

I'm surrounded by a confederacy of dunces. And you're nowhere near as funny as the book.

I'll say it again and every time it comes up. 

NO fucking ads in games! For any reason. Period.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

NO. Hate f2p, destroyer of good gaming.

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    If "The Secret World" was done right, and not with just tiny zones scattered over the world, having a McDonald or a Microsoft advertisement wouldn't be intrusive, but would actually add to the immersion.

In fact, if they were smart, they'd let McDonalds or other businesses buy space in the game and actually have a McDonalds or a Taco Bell in the game for people to visit.  I wouldn't mind that a bit, in fact it might even serve to make the world more real.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None