Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What do I do after 80?

MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz United States, NCPosts: 169Member
I got to 80, got the set of gear I liked, got some fractal items. Is there anything else to do that is rewarding as far as progression? Unlockable skills? Alternate exp for abilities/stats?
«1

Comments

  • jnserenojnsereno BenaventePosts: 41Member
    You quit. Nothing to do is GW2 end-game.
  • VaselVasel ausin, TXPosts: 90Member Uncommon
    Yep tiny differences in stats from a crappy drop at level 80 and the hardest dungeon boss loot. Your toon is about as powerfull now as its ever going to be. If your not interested in gear for the stats and like to play virtual dress up then you will enjoy it.
  • cronius77cronius77 Fairfax, VAPosts: 1,347Member Uncommon
    there really isnt much end game once you get your set of gear other than world vs world if you are chasing achievements and more abilities. You have world experience in world vs world that levels up as you pvp and you can buy more abilities towards world vs world fine tuning your character to pvp how you like it etc. Other than that on the pve side there is basically just legendary skins from RNG if you are lucky or doing 100% world completion. Or you can just wait on the two week living story updates and try to keep up with that but really it seems like end game is world vs world mostly with the occasional fractal run or temple events to grind ectos. Guild Wars 2 is a little lite in the end game department if you do not like structured pvp or World vs world.
  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,962Member Uncommon

    I am currently working on my 100% exploration with some PvP at the side. Might go for legendary after that, or might take a break (already had one).

    It is up to you, doing achivements and jumping puzzles or getting dungeongear is popular with some people, others PvP. You could also take a break or make an alt. Some players mainly log in to do living story and new updates once in a while.

    And while ANET havn't talked about it NC softs boss said there will be an expansion, but that might take a while.

    If you at any time feel bored, just take a break and play something else. Or enjoy the summer and stay away ffrom the computer a while. GW 1 & 2 are games that you can take breaks from without missing too much.

  • velmaxvelmax palm bay, FLPosts: 211Member
    quit. and go bak to wow!
  • GinazGinaz Calgary, ABPosts: 1,731Member Uncommon
    As far as I know, there's no real "end game" or "progression" in GW2.  If you don't like pvp, collecting new armor/weapon skins or leveling alts then there might not be much left for you to do.  Still pretty good value for the money, IMO, but I haven't played in months and couldn't even get a single character to 40 before I quit.  I actually just uninstalled it yesterday to make room on my hd for some Steam games I had in my library, most of which I've had for over a year and never played.

    image

    Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

    Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

  • SephrinxSephrinx Astoria, ORPosts: 73Member

    I had the same question when I hit 80(Warrior). I was like "Sweet! Not that I'm level 80 I can start playing the game!" 

    But boy was I wrong. There wasn't shit too do at level 80. I do not give one flying ass about Achievements. I do not give one single mouse anus about the map completion. PvP was fun, but there are too many bads and I don't want to deal with that. The dungeons were far too difficult and unforgiving. I absolutely cannot stand them, I would rather rub my genitals in broken glass than have to bear through another CoF or AC run. What did I do? I leveled up another class to 80. 

     

    So, now that I had a level 80 Elementalist, (which I got probably half of my levels by crafting lol) I make myself a set of exotic gear, bought an Exotic Staff from one of the Badge Vendors, and.... well.. I haven't logged in since. It was fun for a while, but instantly got old. The exploration factor and quests were fun. I had a blast running around doing jump puzzles. But other than that, the game just isn't fun for me.

    On an unrelated note, Holy GOD Loke. 15 thousand posts? That is absurd lmao!

    imageimageimageimage

  • Mr.ZerooneMr.Zeroone BialystokPosts: 34Member

    What do I do after 80?

     

    So, it depends. If you are a lucky and healthy person you should live about a bit more than average human. Fortunately, women won't be your problem any more ;)

  • gameguy369gameguy369 Kansas City, KSPosts: 447Member Uncommon

    if you like WvW, try to get on Blackgate, Jade Quarry or Sanctum of Rall (in NA). We are tier 1 of WvW and no other server is even remotely close to this tier (Dragonbrand is ranked 5th overall and got absolutely demolished when they got matched against Blackgate). I cant say much for other aspects of the game - some love the monthly content, some dont.

     

    That said, I love progression like most MMO players, but playing in a high-level WvW server made me just enjoy the gameplay itself, and then enjoy the 'rewards' that come along with it. Just to give an idea, I average about 50-75 badges a night after just 2-3 hours of WvW

     

    if you wanted to get in a WvW guild on Blackgate, feel free to PM me on here.

     

    (side note, if you are in EU, their WvW is actually even higher level than our tier 1)

  • SeariasSearias Edmonton, ABPosts: 712Member Uncommon
    Grind dungeons and make alts. Me I left the game after getting 4 characters to level 80, I like more story driven elements added to the game, than these stupid temp live story stuff they have been doing.

    <InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

  • LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebPosts: 5,051Member Uncommon

    They are adding living story every 14 days.

    So if everything else fails. You still have brand new things to explore every two weeks.

    image

  • SereliskSerelisk somewhere, NYPosts: 836Member

    WvW - 2 unique maps, tons of places to have fun small group engagements (including Obsidian sanctum @ EB jump puzzle) or join a  large group and take a keep. Gain some competitive spirit and fight for bragging rights or troll another guild for some late night forum QQ.

    PvE - 1.) more than 25 unique zones with over a thousand 'dynamic-events'; my personal favorite is the devourer chain in Iron Marches that leads into the meta event.

    2.) Living Story; every 14 days a new update to the game is made and with it presumably more story content with each release. These stories have been getting progressively more developed and better crafted imo, enjoy the storyline and meet new characters, etc etc blah.

    3.) Achievement points - progress through the wide array of achievements to earn points and with it, special skins and other rewards that you can reclaim for your efforts.

    4.) Guild missions - join a guild and participate in bounties and take out high profile NPC's roaming the wilds of tyria, transform into animals and take on a rush or work to complete coordinated guild challenges or puzzles. These give you commendations to purchase unique rewards.

    5.) Activities - Keg Brawl, Belcher's Bluff, Costume Brawl, and Boxes o' Fun are great things to play int he intrmediary, break up the pace a if you're sick of grinding.

    6.) Grinding... lol - you know this story; except you're likely working towards aesthetic differences for your character rather than stats. Go for a legendary.

    SPvP - Tournament, Hot join, or Custom, play on any of the maps which have capture point style game play with a map specific feature to change the action a bit. Or just spectate other matches and learn the tricks to success.

    There's a lot more minute stuff to take part in, but the bottom line is that if nothing up here interests you then maybe you should just not continue to play the game. I would say joining a great guild filled with people you like is a great way to start off enjoying level 80.

    It makes things a lot less frustrating or boring to be able to kick it with friends over voice chat. Getting involved with the community via a guild is also a great way to start enjoying WvW a lot more.

    There's stuff to do, you just need to start enjoying it :P If it's not enjoyable to you then don't force yourself to play something you don't likle. Come back when there's more to offer. You're never gonna have your account deactivated for inactivity.

     

     

     

     

  • observerobserver Houston, TXPosts: 3,005Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

    They are adding living story every 14 days.

    So if everything else fails. You still have brand new things to explore every two weeks.

    This sounds good, but in my opinion, the rewards don't satisfy me.  Some weapon skins, armor skins, titles, mini, and karma jugs; and that's only if the skins aren't inside the Trading post or RNG boxes.  Other than that, i don't feel any incentive to do them.

  • NaqajNaqaj Frankfurt am MainPosts: 1,673Member
    Originally posted by observer

    This sounds good, but in my opinion, the rewards don't satisfy me.  Some weapon skins, armor skins, titles, mini, and karma jugs; and that's only if the skins aren't inside the Trading post or RNG boxes.  Other than that, i don't feel any incentive to do them.

    Then GW2 honestly might not be the right game for you. It doesn't rely on the classic reward mechanics of traditional MMOs, there is no real progression structure after reaching max level, and that is intentional. You either play because you enjoy the actual playing, or you're probly better off in another MMO that is built with the reward structure you prefer.

    This is probably the single most dividing design decision of GW2, very much in line with GW1, but quite contrary to what other MMOs taught their players over the last decade.

     

  • VorchVorch Somewhere, FLPosts: 800Member
    Originally posted by Serelisk

    WvW - 2 unique maps, tons of places to have fun small group engagements (including Obsidian sanctum @ EB jump puzzle) or join a  large group and take a keep. Gain some competitive spirit and fight for bragging rights or troll another guild for some late night forum QQ.

    PvE - 1.) more than 25 unique zones with over a thousand 'dynamic-events'; my personal favorite is the devourer chain in Iron Marches that leads into the meta event.

    2.) Living Story; every 14 days a new update to the game is made and with it presumably more story content with each release. These stories have been getting progressively more developed and better crafted imo, enjoy the storyline and meet new characters, etc etc blah.

    3.) Achievement points - progress through the wide array of achievements to earn points and with it, special skins and other rewards that you can reclaim for your efforts.

    4.) Guild missions - join a guild and participate in bounties and take out high profile NPC's roaming the wilds of tyria, transform into animals and take on a rush or work to complete coordinated guild challenges or puzzles. These give you commendations to purchase unique rewards.

    5.) Activities - Keg Brawl, Belcher's Bluff, Costume Brawl, and Boxes o' Fun are great things to play int he intrmediary, break up the pace a if you're sick of grinding.

    6.) Grinding... lol - you know this story; except you're likely working towards aesthetic differences for your character rather than stats. Go for a legendary.

    SPvP - Tournament, Hot join, or Custom, play on any of the maps which have capture point style game play with a map specific feature to change the action a bit. Or just spectate other matches and learn the tricks to success.

    There's a lot more minute stuff to take part in, but the bottom line is that if nothing up here interests you then maybe you should just not continue to play the game. I would say joining a great guild filled with people you like is a great way to start off enjoying level 80.

    It makes things a lot less frustrating or boring to be able to kick it with friends over voice chat. Getting involved with the community via a guild is also a great way to start enjoying WvW a lot more.

    There's stuff to do, you just need to start enjoying it :P If it's not enjoyable to you then don't force yourself to play something you don't likle. Come back when there's more to offer. You're never gonna have your account deactivated for inactivity.

     

     

     

     

    This right here.

    Every 2 weeks there is an update that adds something substantial to do.

    There will also be updates that build on the rest of the game outside of the living story with more info later on this month.

     

    I also do enjoy having those who haven't played for 6-9 months tell you what there is to do in the game.

    "As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser ParisPosts: 1,873Member
    Reroll...reroll again and..and again..till you get bored out of your mind and then quit.

    "The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

    "Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

    image

  • VorchVorch Somewhere, FLPosts: 800Member
    Achievement points also offer pretty substantial progression after 80 with Magic Find, Gold Find, and XP stat progression after max level.

    "As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

  • VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member

    The real answer is simple... if you're having fun, keep playing. GW2 doesn't force you down a narrow path at "end game" labeled progression where pretty much all that's left to do is the latest raid for a chance at gear that will prepare you for the next raid ad nauseum. You are not forced to change how you've been playing to get to 80 once you get there. As you've progressed you haven't made obsolete all the content behind you, it's all viable. As far as progressions, there's WvW ranks (which actually do make a notable difference), PvE "completion" (map completion, all the jumping puzzles, etc.), achievement points (for loot!), etc. Living Story, as people have mentioned, is an ongoing influx of new content every two weeks, and it's been surprisingly fun enough to eat into my WvW time (if you knew me you'd realize that's a big deal). 

     

    So in a nutshell, if you've been having fun with something, keep doing it. If not, there are plenty of other things to try. If you simply don't feel like playing for a bit, take a break, the game will be there when you get back. This game lets you do what you want for end game, not what the developers dictate you must do to "progress".

    Oderint, dum metuant.
    image

  • someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,539Member Uncommon

    I wish they took the GW1 route with GW2 PVE content. Having the majority of PVE story content after max lvl. GW2 story is weak compared imo. They just created a grind game for achievements and gear skins. The fractals system lacks immersion compared to the Eye of the North dungeons where the dungeons actually have a reason to be in the landscape.

    I don't know why, but GW2 PVE just feels too arcady to me. I got bored real fast after hitting 80 too. I tried lvling an alt, but I couldn't stomach it. Too much of the same. In general, character progression feels very bland in GW2.

  • aSynchroaSynchro azeaze, AKPosts: 176Member Uncommon

    It's a mmoRPG so why not try ROLEPLAY ?

    It's really infinit content and ton of fun; as long as you're ready to invest time, imagination and some social skills in it ^^

     

    Check http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com for example.

  • saurus123saurus123 nonePosts: 570Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by observer
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

    They are adding living story every 14 days.

    So if everything else fails. You still have brand new things to explore every two weeks.

    This sounds good, but in my opinion, the rewards don't satisfy me.  Some weapon skins, armor skins, titles, mini, and karma jugs; and that's only if the skins aren't inside the Trading post or RNG boxes.  Other than that, i don't feel any incentive to do them.

    if you play for rewards go to casino or somewhere else

     

    games are to have fun playing with ppl you know

  • someforumguysomeforumguy HomePosts: 3,539Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by aSynchro

    It's a mmoRPG so why not try ROLEPLAY ?

    It's really infinit content and ton of fun; as long as you're ready to invest time, imagination and some social skills in it ^^

     

    Check http://www.guildwars2roleplayers.com for example.

    You don't even need a game for that kind of roleplay. GW2 also barely has any assets to support it. Roleplaying in themeparks is mainly about 'playing a role' in chat. You can do that on Skype too :/

    I get it, you like to roleplay. But it is hardly a selling point for GW2 without houses, furniture to sit on. Or guildhouses. You can't even create your own chatchannels. So you are competing with the LFG and other chat crap while roleplaying. This game lacks all the usefull roleplay assets.

    But yeah, you can roleplay in chat. On skype you can do the same.

  • KenaoshiKenaoshi Porto AlegrePosts: 1,016Member Uncommon

    * Legendary

    * PVP: - sPVP

                - WvWvW

    * Dungeons - money/skins

    * Personal Story

    * Living Story

    * Map completion

    * Jumping Puzzles

    * Mini-games

    * Fractals 1to 80

    now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

  • KanethKaneth Posts: 1,924Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sephrinx

    I had the same question when I hit 80(Warrior). I was like "Sweet! Not that I'm level 80 I can start playing the game!" 

    But boy was I wrong. There wasn't shit too do at level 80. I do not give one flying ass about Achievements. I do not give one single mouse anus about the map completion. PvP was fun, but there are too many bads and I don't want to deal with that. The dungeons were far too difficult and unforgiving. I absolutely cannot stand them, I would rather rub my genitals in broken glass than have to bear through another CoF or AC run. What did I do? I leveled up another class to 80. 

     

    So, now that I had a level 80 Elementalist, (which I got probably half of my levels by crafting lol) I make myself a set of exotic gear, bought an Exotic Staff from one of the Badge Vendors, and.... well.. I haven't logged in since. It was fun for a while, but instantly got old. The exploration factor and quests were fun. I had a blast running around doing jump puzzles. But other than that, the game just isn't fun for me.

    On an unrelated note, Holy GOD Loke. 15 thousand posts? That is absurd lmao!

    I'm not picking on you, but the highlighted text is a good example of why the traditional end game in many mmos is completely broken.

    In many mmos, the game "starts" at end game level, WoW is a giant offender of this, but it happened in mmos before the WoW era as well. Why this seems to make sense to developers and the playerbase is beyond me. It's not like someone needs a 79 level tutorial to learn how to play the game. The leveling process shouldn't be inherently different than the end game, with some exceptions.

    GW2 does just that. The leveling process isn't all that different than "end game". Sure you perform better in WvW at 80 with all your traits and exotic/ascended gear, but pre-80 folks can play their roles in WvW as well. PvE isn't really too different at 80 vs. the other 79 levels. You can explore areas, work towards 100% map completion, craft, achievement hunt, etc. The main difference between 1-79 and 80 is dungeons running and fractals. With fractals being the only true progression content.

    Considering the relative age of the game, I would think most people should understand the type of game GW2 is. It's not for the hardcore raiding crowd, considering there's no hardcore raiding. The game is very much directed at completionists, explorers, achievement hunters. WvW seems to be a love it or hate it type of thing, same with sPvP.

    The point is....the game starts upon character creation, not at level 80. What do you do at level 80? The same thing you've been doing.

  • KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,989Member Uncommon

    If never-ending character progression (in terms of power, abilities etc) are what you enjoy, this is probably not the right game for you, better play something else.

     

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.