Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Evolution

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The games that seems to last the longest are those that embrace evolution and moving the story forward. In our latest column devoted to Guild Wars 2, we look at what ArenaNet has accomplished in this regard. Check it out and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

Guild Wars 2 does have the most believable world out of any MMO I’ve played.  While walking around a city or village I can hear the locals telling rumors they’ve heard, or boasting about how they can out drink a Norn.  Add in some crazy details to the environments and the surroundings become very believable.  These small touches really push the game forward, but what about the actual adventuring?  Dynamic events come in and allow you to change the world a bit.  By helping a merchant travel the harsh roads, he can now set up shop in a fort.  Repel an enemy attack and you help keep an army outpost on the frontlines. 

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Evolution.

Just because you can drink like a Norn doesn't mean you have to.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244

ArenaNet gets it.  That's why they do so well.  From what I have seen, they listen to their playerbase to an extent.  They have their own plans, but they also want to hear what we have to say.

They don't rush with their content.  Do I want more?  Oh yes.  I would love to see more of the map opened.  Crystal Desert, Elona, Cantha.  But I know that may/will come in time.  Patience is a virtue.

Unfortunately, not one of my strongest.  XD

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    One thing ArenaNet is not doing, is making me care about my characters or giving me any real horizontal progression to enjoy.  The living story isn't enough for me.   I'm happy for people who are content with this game though.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97

I think what ANet is doing is impressive, especially from a world building point of view. But in many ways they are the opposite of The Secret World. Guild Wars 2 has the huge, enormous world but there's nothing there. A few big cities are all the game really features. On the other hand The Secret World has many small pockets of civilization but, everything feels so divided the world feel tiny in comparison.

I remember the complaint that people had about FFXIII having no towns. I feel that various MMO's have launched of late with "no towns". Their worlds never feel connected and thus everyone sits in one place, the fleets in SWTOR, Agartha in TSW, and Lion's Arch in GW2.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Tyria actually has tons of small towns and settlements, but I can agree with your sentiment in so far as those can feel so insignificant they may just as well not be there.
  • Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Tyria actually has tons of small towns and settlements, but I can agree with your sentiment in so far as those can feel so insignificant they may just as well not be there.

I'm hoping that the next gen fascination with open-world titles will meander over to the MMO genre in a positive manner. Can you imagine the Funcom one server tech having babies with Destiny's one giant city?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Why do ads (columns) like this seem so forced? Its probably just me haha

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    I'd play gw2 more if I felt connected again to my toons. I have lost that and I can't bring myself to level another one.
  • ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    We will be able to choose the direction of where the game goes in near future. It has something to do with Ellen Kiel and the head of Black Lion merchants.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    All that sounds great huf permanent changes can only happen once. What about the new player who will never get to experience that content. No epic scenario for him/her. Dynamic events are a new concept to MMO's and IMO ArenaNet has diene a great job. Yes they are scripted and on timers but it sure beats static quests that have no impact on the world. Yes, you can destroy a city but only if there uis another event chain for it to be rebuilt.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Anet are pretty stellar!

they know what they are doing -and doing it well!!!

the last update 'winds' its pretty amazing shockingly they said it wasnt an expansion= but it sure looked and felt like one with the awsome content delivered!

well done Anet net! a few dinasours could learn from you.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Not going to happen.

Developers won't make 2 pieces of content and let the players decide which one is rolled out if they win/lose.

Its too expensive and possibly bug filled.

They will give you the illusion of you making choice but they know where everything is headed and what will be released and how. Don't be fooled. Development is pre-planned and laid out like a brick road.

If you want this experience of player effecting things massively...go play pen & paper rpgs. I do this all the time in my group. ;)

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• sethtpsethtp Member Posts: 2
    SWG destroyed a whole city noone came to before and after it was a popular place.
  • sethtpsethtp Member Posts: 2
    SWG destroyed a whole city on a planet that no one went to before but after it was a popular place.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Tierless
    While I think GW2 is doing a neat job with the living story and frequent updates I would prefer they focused on making GW2 into a world WE truly alter through our actions. Not a script that makes us feel like we altered it for a minute.

I think that's why they're doing the "Rock the Vote" storyline.  Depending on which candidate wins, I expect things will be vastly different.  Otherwise, I don't see how unscripted MMO's can work unless they're a sandbox.  You won't ever be able to run up to the queen of Kryta and stab her, causing political turmoil.  That's just not realistic from a developer point of view, to say nothing of the lore, though it would be incredibly interesting.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Yeah, I am a big GW2 fan, but this column just reads like a paid for ad by arenanet

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298

I have been playing on and off hoping for a different direction ever since the game came out.

Why do they keep making temporary events that only give us some silly cosmetic item for which we need to work and grind our mind off? I do not enjoy this and was expecting more from such an innovative and promising game. What happened to all those ideas they advertised at the GW2 prelauch ? Home system anyone? I have given up hope and ive finally made up my mind on quiting this game, i wont comb every inch of the map in promise for end game content. That is just not fun!

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by stragen001
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Yeah, I am a big GW2 fan, but this column just reads like a paid for ad by arenanet

While I also completely agree it sounds very much like an ad, it may still be just purely written by one of the many people who love this game. Writers on these websites aren't necessary without bias, and aside from reviews they really aren't trying to be in most of these situations. If you took the vast majority of "fans" of a game and had them write something about the game, it would likely come out positive. I'm guessing most of these articles are written by the fans of the game, because the people who aren't fans of the game probably aren't playing the game and therefore can't really write a decent article about it without putting in a lot more time and effort. Easier to get someone on staff who already plays it.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    One thing ArenaNet is not doing, is making me care about my characters or giving me any real horizontal progression to enjoy.  The living story isn't enough for me.   I'm happy for people who are content with this game though.

You should see the new Achievement reward tiers. It might tickle that horizontal itch.

This is not a game.

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283

IMO!!!

The latest addition is pointless. You are meant to get extra skills that let you move faster or jump higher, so you can get to the top. However, there are monsters in the area that make you switch back to your actual skills that let you attack. You then have to go back to the start, so you can get the movement skills again. Also, no clues as to what your supposed to do, does not help. One area had people being thrown off a platform to their death (myself included). When I was there, it was at least one player every five seconds was dead, with a constant res going on at the bottom (good for part of a daily, but otherwise pathetic), so I was not the only one that had no idea what I had to do!

Why make it so hard that we have to resort to youtube to find out what we are supposed to be doing!

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Well I definitly care about my character, but I hear you out on the progression comment.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345
    I see a lot of people, like me, have given up on GW2. The game was great as long as I could make it last. But now, the new stuff added seems more for groups, or achievers. So, on to the next game that will last awhile.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I dont agree with this column.  I dont feel Tyria is alive at all.  I will give Arena NET credit for creating a lush world but it is devoid of character.  Its proof that if you create a world and fill it with stuff doesn't make it alive.  My biggest criticism is the dialogue. Its very simple and one dimensional. It plays like a light and fluffy cartoon, but perhaps that was its manifesto.

GW2 is in my rotation and I have 5 characters, none 80, with my highest being level 34.  The combat is visceral but just doesnt do it for me. The lack of (any) progression hurts the title for me.  I know there is horizontal progression but what exactly does that mean?  Where is the strength of my character?  There is just not enough RPG elements to keep me interested for long periods of time.

Im happy for those who thoroughly love this game.  I cant wait until I find the same.

• zastenzasten Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by Brynn
    I see a lot of people, like me, have given up on GW2. The game was great as long as I could make it last. But now, the new stuff added seems more for groups, or achievers. So, on to the next game that will last awhile.

In some pve locations, groups are not enough either!

I was in a group of 4 yesterday, and together, we could not overcome the pve monsters to complete just a simple quest, however, we did manage to fell a champ that kept spewing other monsters at us!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Brynn

Aren't MMOs for groups in general...?

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

GW2 has turned into Super Mario Online.

All is good though, because now they have KITES !

The one feature I've dreamed of in an MMO is now in GW2, and ArenaNet has proven how much ingenuity they have by adding such a longed for feature to the gaming world.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.