Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Attention Crafters/Gatherers: This is a surprisingly good game for us.

13»

Comments

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    Originally posted by Lustmord

MO has cool crafting, but who are you going to craft for in that empty world?

If you're a crafter, and you want to advance your character by crafting, and you want a relevant game with a population to commerce with, Darkfall is a good choice.

It's a trade-off unlike what you're suggesting: The more people in-game the more chances to actually ply your trade selling wares to other players or accepting commissions from them but this also increases the odds of getting ganked when venturing out to gather materials and reduces the overall need a crafter has to actually go out and look for customers.

Also as stated DFUW does not place crafters in high regard whereas in MO the system is already deep and last expansion they got another batch of item schematics to work with in crafting. By what I've heard the MO devs place importance on all the facets of the game and unlike DFUW you can try the game for free (it has a F2P option which is unlimited but caps skill progression at 60 where the maximum is 100 for sub players and it doesn't have any hidden fees, free client, free account, free expansions like EVE-Online does it).

Oh and as an added fact: The reason why MO is unpopular is because A) yes it launched in a similar stated to DF 1 (quite broken) but it has gotten better and B) The combat system is a Hell of allot deeper where weapon reach , direction of the attack, etc, affect how you should block it because blocking as well is directional, block left when he's attacking via right and you done nothing, by what I hear DFUW is allot more... user friendly.

MO's population plummeted because 2-3 years after release they couldn't fix combat desync, new massive bugs came with every patch and they struggled to fix the old bugs that just piled up. With a microscopic game world and little content if you're not a crafter, most people decided to leave. A lot of people didn't enjoy the pace of combat and the magic mechanics. I played MO for some time.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Greymoor

If you're a crafter, and you want to advance your character by crafting, and you want a relevant game with a population to commerce with, Darkfall is a good choice.

It's a trade-off unlike what you're suggesting: The more people in-game the more chances to actually ply your trade selling wares to other players or accepting commissions from them but this also increases the odds of getting ganked when venturing out to gather materials and reduces the overall need a crafter has to actually go out and look for customers.

Also as stated DFUW does not place crafters in high regard whereas in MO the system is already deep and last expansion they got another batch of item schematics to work with in crafting. By what I've heard the MO devs place importance on all the facets of the game and unlike DFUW you can try the game for free (it has a F2P option which is unlimited but caps skill progression at 60 where the maximum is 100 for sub players and it doesn't have any hidden fees, free client, free account, free expansions like EVE-Online does it).

Oh and as an added fact: The reason why MO is unpopular is because A) yes it launched in a similar stated to DF 1 (quite broken) but it has gotten better and B) The combat system is a Hell of allot deeper where weapon reach , direction of the attack, etc, affect how you should block it because blocking as well is directional, block left when he's attacking via right and you done nothing, by what I hear DFUW is allot more... user friendly.

MO's population plummeted because 2-3 years after release they couldn't fix combat desync, new massive bugs came with every patch and they struggled to fix the old bugs that just piled up. With a microscopic game world and little content if you're not a crafter, most people decided to leave. A lot of people didn't enjoy the pace of combat and the magic mechanics. I played MO for some time.

1) Can't find any mention of combat desync newer than 3 years (could be a local problem as opposed to a general one, like the lag some people are reporting with FFXIV) in news articles or comments;

2) Unsubstantiated claim of newer game breaking bugs being introduced with patches, links would be helpful not hearsay;

3) Microscopic? WoW's current world size is estimated at 160 km2 (give or take 10), MO has 64 km2 stated by the devs and data mined by people I do believe. Also it is seamless, no minimap and no teleports.

4) I could believe the combat and magic stuff though, it is an acquired taste (no I win builds, no granted superiority by items).

1) Can't find any mention of combat desync newer than 3 years (could be a local problem as opposed to a general one, like the lag some people are reporting with FFXIV) in news articles or comments;

2) Unsubstantiated claim of newer game breaking bugs being introduced with patches, links would be helpful not hearsay;

3) Microscopic? WoW's current world size is estimated at 160 km2 (give or take 10), MO has 64 km2 stated by the devs and data mined by people I do believe. Also it is seamless, no minimap and no teleports.

4) I could believe the combat and magic stuff though, it is an acquired taste (no I win builds, no granted superiority by items).

No, it wasn't local, it was for EVERYONE at one point and lingered for years. It was a massive issue on the forums and eventually they'd just delete every thread w/o reason. No wonder you can't find any mention, extremely shady practices going on there.

I remember a patch which turned an entire city into a gaping black hole which would mess people up. That was hilarious.

MO's world is absolutely tiny...

Magic's system of casting/aiming is just clunky, slow and tiresome.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Tasos is a loser so I won't play it ever and haven't as yet. I guess Runescape mid wildy with my best gear on and skulled with 3-4 randoms my own level all trying to pk each other is the closest next best thing available. 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

No, it wasn't local, it was for EVERYONE at one point and lingered for years. It was a massive issue on the forums and eventually they'd just delete every thread w/o reason. No wonder you can't find any mention, extremely shady practices going on there.

I remember a patch which turned an entire city into a gaping black hole which would mess people up. That was hilarious.

1) Then why didn't anyone complain anywhere else of this? It's not like SK can go around demanding from random forums to take down threads.

2) Again, links.

3) Absolutely tiny is absolutely relative, Skyrim has 16 square miles (or around 41 km2) and to some that's too bloody big.

4) see the above video, doesn't look that clunky... the only bit I can imagine being painful is the reagents.

1) Then why didn't anyone complain anywhere else of this? It's not like SK can go around demanding from random forums to take down threads.

2) Again, links.

3) Absolutely tiny is absolutely relative, Skyrim has 16 square miles (or around 41 km2) and to some that's too bloody big.

4) see the above video, doesn't look that clunky... the only bit I can imagine being painful is the reagents.

I spent months giving MO a chance, your video shows exactly how bad the magic system is. You stand still, channel a cast and hover over a target... so static, so clunky to use.

There's no need for me to go evidence hunting, the state of the game is a widely known fact and people who try the F2P will obviously find that out for themselves.

You can get across the world so quickly, it's tiny. They admitted to not having time to complete any more of the world, hence the capital taking a year plus to be released (?).

2) Again, links.

I spent months giving MO a chance, your video shows exactly how bad the magic system is. You stand still, channel a cast and hover over a target... so static, so clunky to use.

There's no need for me to go evidence hunting, the state of the game is a widely known fact and people who try the F2P will obviously find that out for themselves.

You can get across the world so quickly, it's tiny. They admitted to not having time to complete any more of the world, hence the capital taking a year plus to be released (?).

1) Most people wouldn't call that clunky. An example of clunky would be the current control scheme of EVE (7 year veteran here)

2) So what you're saying is that anyone can try the game and decide for themselves thus removing the need of your opinion to begin with.

3) You can get across any game world relatively quickly, true of Terraria, true with Worm Online, true with Minecraft (though with the latter two you'd need gear before doing it lest you get mauled by various creatures and with minecraft it would take a while). Hell in EVE you can go clean across the galaxy in under 10 hours using a cover ops ship and a purpose built travel fit (warp stabs, cloak and warp core speed rigs), probably less. The question is not the time it takes to get across it but what's in it.

Now you kinda gave me another argument.. they're working on improving their game constantly (patches seem to be on a 2-3 week cycle and aren't always just fixes and expansions seem to be around 1 year spaced give or take).

Considering the game has a F2P option which doesn't really cripple anyone from trying (thieving skills are fun but not required and the skill cap on F2P is quite high) whereas DFUW doesn't even have a trial and costs ~25 euros for the client and 15 euros for the first month (which are bundled together, the price of purchase being 40 euros). Which do you think anyone should try first?

2) Again, links.

1) Most people wouldn't call that clunky. An example of clunky would be the current control scheme of EVE (7 year veteran here)

2) So what you're saying is that anyone can try the game and decide for themselves thus removing the need of your opinion to begin with.

3) You can get across any game world relatively quickly, true of Terraria, true with Worm Online, true with Minecraft (though with the latter two you'd need gear before doing it lest you get mauled by various creatures and with minecraft it would take a while). Hell in EVE you can go clean across the galaxy in under 10 hours using a cover ops ship and a purpose built travel fit (warp stabs, cloak and warp core speed rigs), probably less. The question is not the time it takes to get across it but what's in it.

Now you kinda gave me another argument.. they're working on improving their game constantly (patches seem to be on a 2-3 week cycle and aren't always just fixes and expansions seem to be around 1 year spaced give or take).

Considering the game has a F2P option which doesn't really cripple anyone from trying (thieving skills are fun but not required and the skill cap on F2P is quite high) whereas DFUW doesn't even have a trial and costs ~25 euros for the client and 15 euros for the first month (which are bundled together, the price of purchase being 40 euros). Which do you think anyone should try first?

Well DFUW is 50% off atm, £15 for the client + a months subscription. I'd say try DFUW first. That's a very cheap price.

2) Again, links.

Well DFUW is 50% off atm, £15 for the client + a months subscription. I'd say try DFUW first. That's a very cheap price.

And you've just tipped your hand, it isn't which is objectively the better option to try first (I donno about you but free doesn't cost a dime unless you wanna factor in internet and electricity) it's about which game you like (not the OP or anyone else). And to be honest I like neither game, yet, as I've yet to try either I've set up an account for MO and will be delving into that come august (got some stuff to do first in real life) and will be trying that first because A) free to try at least (though I am curios if I like the game how far I can get for free); B) better crafting system without arguably a worse combat system (deeper =/= better or worse and I've heard enough of DFUW to know it ain't something you just try, kinda like EVE, you either dive in or you don't).