Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do we make non-EQ players feel welcome in EQNext.

Comments

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    How do we make them feel welcome? Easy IMO.

1. Naked gnome races across antonica.
    2. Drunken Kelethin races.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz
    We don't. Honestly, I'm seriously hoping it's 1 big server and a super niche MMO for the old school players. I'd much rather play with a good, small community than the crap thats out there now.

I'm probably going to MMO hell for this, but this guy is right. I would rather play with 1000 old school EQ players on one server than play with 1 million WoWtards calling everyone "noobs" and devouring content at warp speed then complaining about nothing to do.

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I also love how "elitist" and "difficulty" are now apparently interchangeable. Yup. Because we don't want our games brain dead easy and everyone has the best gear always, we're elitists. That makes total sense. It's definitely not that you're an entitled. braying jackass. It's that we're all elitists......yup.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra
    We don't. Honestly, I'm seriously hoping it's 1 big server and a super niche MMO for the old school players. I'd much rather play with a good, small community than the crap thats out there now.

I'm probably going to MMO hell for this, but this guy is right. I would rather play with 1000 old school EQ players on one server than play with 1 million WoWtards calling everyone "noobs" and devouring content at warp speed then complaining about nothing to do.

Youre an Elitist!

for preferring to play with one group of people over another!

I'll see you in MMO hell.We can group!

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

I would guess that feeling welcome yourself will be the issue. The bet game will be more geared for "new" players than you might like.

Kind of like asking SWG players how to make new SWTOR players feel welcome.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

The difficulty of the game will also mold the community..

If its hard enough it'll weed out the "everyday is my birthday" crowd.

As opposed to the elitists? Those folk are real nice to have around. /s

I'll take em

Well, go play League of Legends, it is full of them.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

The difficulty of the game will also mold the community..

If its hard enough it'll weed out the "everyday is my birthday" crowd.

As opposed to the elitists? Those folk are real nice to have around. /s

I'll take em

Well, go play League of Legends, it is full of them.

not into those games.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

You know the number 1 best way not to alienate new people?

DO NOT BASH ANY OTHER MMOS.

A sure way of making sure someone doesn't even bother trying the MMO you love is being cruel to the MMO they love.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I think an important part of a good community is having vocal and visual helpers in the game. You'll notice them because when someone has a question they are usually the first to pipe up and answer it. It only take a few of these individuals to make an MMO seem "homey".
  • MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333
    Originally posted by Aelious
    I think an important part of a good community is having vocal and visual helpers in the game. You'll notice them because when someone has a question they are usually the first to pipe up and answer it. It only take a few of these individuals to make an MMO seem "homey".

This.

But also sadly it also only takes a few bad apples to ruin an experience, and there seems to be a lot of players around nowadays that only get their kicks by ruining the enjoyment of others, as well as those who feel the need to make a game burn because it wasn't tailored to them specifically.

I have a feeling it'll be like most MMOs, communties will form and whether people feel welcome will depend on who they meet early on, good or bad.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra

I would rather play with 1000 old school EQ players...

I'm a little confused; aren't 1000 EQ players PVE players? Bound to clash with Sandbox purists?

You've had your player base divided before though, right?
  • MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
    To do so requires that we don't ACT like non-EQ players. What i mean is the people who play mmos today are not the same as back then. The community was so good back then because the only people with a computer capable of running EQ were people who ran out and upgraded just to play it. We all happily paid for the game and then paid a monthly subscription in the days when it was unheard of. We were all roleplaying geeks excited about the idea of playing an RPG with lots of other players.

Now there is a PC in every home. Every spoiled, self entitled, poorly raised, foul mouthed imbecile has access. The game being F2P makes this even more available. It doesn't look good community wise....

I honestly still hope they bring back VIP servers. Id gladly pay a subscription soley to be on a server only for subscribers. It would at least thin out the trolls a bit.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

In my humble opinion the real question is, "Why should we care if non EQ players feel welcome".

Frankly i dont.  They're only going to do their best to ruin the game.  Its standard procedure.  They're tired of playing *their* game, and want something new, but what they really want is a sequel to their game.  So, they might leave GW2 to come play EQN, but they'll bitch because X or Y aspect of EQN isnt like GW2, and they'll make noise and bitch and keep at it til finally the devs break down and change something.  In 6 months between the GW2 whiners, Tera Whiners, SWTOR whiners, etc, the game will become a mere shadow of what it was and like every other MMO will then succumb to failure.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Mawnee
    To do so requires that we don't ACT like non-EQ players. What i mean is the people who play mmos today are not the same as back then. The community was so good back then because the only people with a computer capable of running EQ were people who ran out and upgraded just to play it. We all happily paid for the game and then paid a monthly subscription in the days when it was unheard of. We were all roleplaying geeks excited about the idea of playing an RPG with lots of other players.

Now there is a PC in every home. Every spoiled, self entitled, poorly raised, foul mouthed imbecile has access. The game being F2P makes this even more available. It doesn't look good community wise....

I honestly still hope they bring back VIP servers. Id gladly pay a subscription soley to be on a server only for subscribers. It would at least thin out the trolls a bit.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

IMO the ONLY thing giving me hope right now is that smed tweet where the guy said something about hand holding and casual gameplay, and Smed responded to the effect of, "if thats what they want they have a million other games to play".

That is literally it, the only thing that i have to give me hope until aug 2nd.

My hope is that the mechanics of the game will be unforgiving to the ultra casual entitlement babies and they will essentially not want to play.

I know its a long shot, but, ill try to stay positive-ish

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

In my humble opinion the real question is, "Why should we care if non EQ players feel welcome".

Frankly i dont.  They're only going to do their best to ruin the game.  Its standard procedure.  They're tired of playing *their* game, and want something new, but what they really want is a sequel to their game.  So, they might leave GW2 to come play EQN, but they'll bitch because X or Y aspect of EQN isnt like GW2, and they'll make noise and bitch and keep at it til finally the devs break down and change something.  In 6 months between the GW2 whiners, Tera Whiners, SWTOR whiners, etc, the game will become a mere shadow of what it was and like every other MMO will then succumb to failure.

Same could be said of old EQ players though.

Nevertheless, as an old EQ player, I hope EQ Next returns MMOs to their roots in a lot of ways while also introducing new innovative ways to advance the genre.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by Mawnee

Couldnt have said it better myself.

IMO the ONLY thing giving me hope right now is that smed tweet where the guy said something about hand holding and casual gameplay, and Smed responded to the effect of, "if thats what they want they have a million other games to play".

That is literally it, the only thing that i have to give me hope until aug 2nd.

My hope is that the mechanics of the game will be unforgiving to the ultra casual entitlement babies and they will essentially not want to play.

I know its a long shot, but, ill try to stay positive-ish

Gods willing it will be a sandbox so I can explain to people how retarded the notion that anything has changed besides the popularity of MMOs ( PCs were common as Hell past the mid 1990s, internet connections became cheap and accessible around 2001 at least in my neck of the woods, when did EQ1 peak again?).

I will say this much: Not every WoW player is a drooling manbaby who couldn't grasp which of a sword to stab at an enemy and which to hold before proceeding to rage at the difficulty, just like not every EQ vet is a kind hearted player with an eye towards the community. If either of that were true there would be no "us vs them" mentality because EQ players should be better than the WoW players they so fervently hate (for some inane reason).

MMOs have grown and that growth has brought both good and bad but trying to accept only the good is like trying to eat a cake everyday and thinking you'll stay fit. If it is a sandbox the bad eggs will pull together to form their own groups whereas the good people will form their own, treating any of the good people as "WoW kiddies" is a sure fire way of ending up playing with far worse people :).

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

Everyone should be able to enjoy a game even if they're not very familiar or familiar at all with the world of Everquest. Maybe they come from Guild Wars, or WoW or Tera Online. Where they come from is besides the point. How do we make them feel welcome?

Don't shot them down if they don't like something about EQ or EQII or have different opinions. Engage in a friendly discussion instead.

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    I just think that old mmos (pre-2003ish) had a really good, niche community. Some of my best friends were made through casual guilds in EQ and the gaming community now is just so toxic and immature. I have to turn off general chat in every game, but I miss so much of the social aspect, it's unfortunate.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

You know that this is SOE we are talking about right? if you have played any SOE MMO you know that this is never going to happen. The decision to make EQNEXT F2P should tell you something. I don't want EQNEXT to be a MMO for a niche group though.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

How do we make them feel welcome?

And if you are a player who never played any EQ game, do you feel welcome or not?

if the game is fun and i like what i see, and i find a nice community then i welcome myself.

• EQN13EQN13 Member UncommonPosts: 26

What about a different concept here.  ....

How about instead of EQ players going out of their way to make "other mmo players" welcome,

How about they look at the community and look for ways to fit in 

EQ players are Very acceptable to people that aren't D Bags. 

The community can be really good if players can NEVER change their name or leap to a new server.

The only way for them to shed being "black listed" by others is to start over, make a new character and Not be a D bag or a Gen chat troll. 

Assume the game is like EQ1, exps loss / corpse run if you die and a Cleric can help you recover that exps loss. 

I will be a Cleric in EQN just like I was in EQ1. If I have them on /ignore because they being a D bag in Gen chat or whatever, that will be one less cleric that will help them out in the game.

Being on ignore,  I won't see their plea for a ress because they lost their level. 

That's why these mechanics worked so well in EQ1. 

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

it's all about fostering the kind of great communities we eq vets had in eq1 back in the day.

after all, back then we were all, by default, non eq players right?  and we welcomed one another with open arms.  (at least we did on Xegony ad on FV!!)

we should look at this as a community build from day one (of the beta!) and foster a great vibrant community from the inside out and be mindful of not chasing away new folks who arent familiar with the series.

we did it once, why not again.  i'm cynical but not cynical enough to think we can't repeat a great part of our gaming heratage.

edit: as the post above me alluded to, this will be aided and abetted GREATLY if EQN has mechanics that foster depending on others (such as rezzes and portals andsought after buffs in eq1)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Everyone should be able to enjoy a game even if they're not very familiar or familiar at all with the world of Everquest. Maybe they come from Guild Wars, or WoW or Tera Online. Where they come from is besides the point. How do we make them feel welcome?

And if you are a player who never played any EQ game, do you feel welcome or not?

Never thought about it never will.  I don't care about the worlds and lore... gameplay has to be rock solid before I will even get into story.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    dont dis them for playing or having played any other mmo. including WoW. realize you are no better than them and you get out of a community what you put in to it.
  • wesmowesmo Member Posts: 60

I do remember of a month new EQ player  being black listed by the community because he rolled in a item that was not to his class and won. The guys was new to any MMO and did not know what he was doing exactly when he broke the 'need over greed' unofficial  rule. 

The other guilds start spamming harassment to him with treats like "get out of this game" and 'you never gonna group in this game again". That what the purist sandbox want, a game they could control the community with power to form virtual mafias and intimidate players. 

Yes, the old EQ players can be as much az-holes as any WoW brag player. Only the fact they  are thinking SOE is making a game for them, the proprietary sense they have over EQN reflect the non sense they have about themselves and their importance. Take a time to read this thread, anyone would notice who are the future bullies of EQN.

Elitism is bad, and pre-discriminating any non EQ players before knowing them just give a clue about how bad some Sandbox purists can be.