Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription Based for real?

SoltekSoltek Member Posts: 29

So is FFXIV really going to be Subscription based? And if so will it have a cash shop? I'm finding it hard to believe. I don't think there's been a new triple A subscription based MMORPG since WoW in 2004.

Comments

• OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Originally posted by Soltek

So is FFXIV really going to be Subscription based? And if so will it have a cash shop? I'm finding it hard to believe. I don't think there's been a new triple A subscription based MMORPG since WoW in 2004.

Well I'd say if it's unappealing to you play something else.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    This game will fail as a sub MMO.  If TOR couldn't survive as one as large of an IP as it is, why would this do any better when its essentially a WOW clone done worse. 
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Soltek

Yes, No.

There have been many. Not many are still P2P, granted, but many PTriple A MMOs have come since WoW in 2004, and a good number of the started out as P2P:

EQ2 (well it came out at the same time nearly), LOTRO, AoC, Vanguard, DDO, TERA, SWTOR, TR, MO, Aion, CoH/CoV, .....

The list goes on a good ways. Now you can argue if they were good games or not - but they all were Triple A quality, and all started as subscription.

There is a sizeable portion of the playerbase that are glad FFXIV is subscription-based with no cash shop.

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    This game will fail as a sub MMO.  If TOR couldn't survive as one as large of an IP as it is, why would this do any better when its essentially a WOW clone done worse. 

TOR failed because they tried to market and sell it with the IP. The game had nothing good about it besides the class stories. They thought "Star Wars" would sell the game and make people overlook the fact that it is just plain bad.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

TOR Wasnt worth the sweat off my ball sac let alone a monthly fee, They should have paid us to play that overhyped single player P.O.S. they called a mmo.  Im not sure what you were trying to prove by bringing TOR into the converastion.....

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

TOR didn't fail because of the IP, it failed as an engaging MMO.  The huge cost of investment into the game coupled with a lack of longevity at launch (not sure how it is now) crippled the game.  If you ask me, I still think Bioware would have been better off making KOTOR 3.

Also, I wouldn't say that FFXIV 2.0 is a "WOW clone done worse".  I will not deny that it is a themepark MMO, because it most definitely is, but if all it takes for a game to be a "wow clone" is to have hotbars & quest indicators over NPC heads then I guess we will be playing WoW clones for a long while yet.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

TOR failed due to lack of endgame among its many many flaws. And FF IP is just as big as starwars.

This will either succed of fail based on how the end game plays out. You have people already maxed out on all jobs except the new ones, so they will need to have enough content to keep them pleased. If they dont, then it will fail.

I wont personally argue with your WoW clone statement, but I will reserve my judgement till release.

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

What?  TOR was a POS.  My friends who are some of the most avid MMO players and Star Wars fans (their entire north wall shelves all the Star Wars novels to date) even call it a POS.

The IP wasn't the problem my friend.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

It's a sub based game & I couldn't be happier about it. I'll gladly shell out a nominal fee for a quality game.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I'm sure it will be a dead zone like other subscription based MMO's.

World of Warcraft,

EVE Online.

Total wasteland.

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293

Originally posted by Soltek So is FFXIV really going to be Subscription based? And if so will it have a cash shop? I'm finding it hard to believe. I don't think there's been a new triple A subscription based MMORPG since WoW in 2004.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

Either we're playing 2 different games, or you've successfully trolled me.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    TOR funneled you through a poorly optimized game.  It was a chore to play with random stutters
  • Maik36Maik36 Member CommonPosts: 59
    I'm more than happy to pay $13/mo for this game. There is no cash shop btw.
  • ZanagiZanagi Member Posts: 30

Sub and no cash shop!?!?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by free2play

World of Warcraft,

EVE Online.

Total wasteland.

ya exept they arnt, bu the way WoW is STILL making more money then any other MMO out there so I don't think you can call it a failure yet.

that aside this game being a sub game without cash shop, is just icing on the cake, for me. now that im in beta I can see for myself first hand the gme is well made better then most MMOs comeing out of late, and I know I will get more then my monies worth.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by rykim86

What?  TOR was a POS.  My friends who are some of the most avid MMO players and Star Wars fans (their entire north wall shelves all the Star Wars novels to date) even call it a POS.

I was able to watch a live stream from a friend tonight. ARR carries some of the major issues swtor had. Number one being it's the same old same, "Collect bird becks" type of thing. fans and current ff players may play, but I can't see it gaining much form anywhere else. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Originally posted by Squeak69

World of Warcraft,

EVE Online.

Total wasteland.

ya exept they arnt, bu the way WoW is STILL making more money then any other MMO out there so I don't think you can call it a failure yet.

that aside this game being a sub game without cash shop, is just icing on the cake, for me. now that im in beta I can see for myself first hand the gme is well made better then most MMOs comeing out of late, and I know I will get more then my monies worth.

I think he being sarcastic... Lol

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by rykim86

I was able to watch a live stream from a friend tonight. ARR carries some of the major issues swtor had. Number one being it's the same old same, "Collect bird becks" type of thing. fans and current ff players may play, but I can't see it gaining much form anywhere else. 

What do people want in quests when leveling?  I mean there can't be a dungeon and a boss for every level.  Even traditional RPGs have stupid side quests like this.  If you don't like quests don't do them.  Because every rpg is going to have quests like this.  Even GW2 where people praise the none questing ended up like this.  The only difference you don't have to talk to an npc.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Squeak69

World of Warcraft,

EVE Online.

Total wasteland.

agreed, I would have been disappointed if FF XIV had gone the whole F2P route tbh, i don't like cash shops, and if a game is worth my time playing then its obviously worth my money, and getting nickle and dimed in a F2P cash shop driven game is not my idea of fun.

btw, don't forget FF XI, i don't know why anyone would have expected Square Enix to go the F2P route anyway. I'd rather play with people who are 'invested' in the game than media 'locusts' whose whole raison d'etre is to take without giving anything in return.image

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Squeak69

World of Warcraft,

EVE Online.

Total wasteland.

agreed, I would have been disappointed if FF XIV had gone the whole F2P route tbh, i don't like cash shops, and if a game is worth my time playing then its obviously worth my money, and getting nickle and dimed in a F2P cash shop driven game is not my idea of fun.

btw, don't forget FF XI, i don't know why anyone would have expected Square Enix to go the F2P route anyway. I'd rather play with people who are 'invested' in the game than media 'locusts' whose whole raison d'etre is to take without giving anything in return.image

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• geelgeel Member UncommonPosts: 93
    I agree with the posters above. I am gonna play FFXIV because of it's subscription plan.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    If it's actually a sub with no cash shop I may buy it and sub for a while just to show my support, and not actually play.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

It will never survive as sub based. 

I was gonna play but won't now, after guild wars 2 I will never play another game on a sub based model.

GW2 has shown that you don't need to take every dollar from a player.

And yeah it's a wow clone better someways worse others, not for me.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

It will never survive as sub based. 

I was gonna play but won't now, after guild wars 2 I will never play another game on a sub based model.

GW2 has shown that you don't need to take every dollar from a player.

And yeah it's a wow clone better someways worse others, not for me.

Really?  GW2 has showed why P2P is better imo.