Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscription Based for real?

Comments

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405

I am in the group that will play this because it is a sub game.  Well that and it is a well built sub game.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• koalakkoalak Member Posts: 75

well to answer the OPs question, there wont be a cash shop (hopefully) since its subscription based

Personally I'd rather play a quality sub-based game rather than a cheesy f2p

also cash shop games are usually pay 2 win, and if you dont pay you have to grind like hell

Now, whether the game will succeed, or whether it will fail like other new sub-based games and go F2P after a few months...time will tell

• MegaTrANMegaTrAN Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I've been in all the betas and I wouldn't pay a sub for this game.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by MegaTrAN

Then why do you keep playing the betas?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

if the only reason you'll play a game is because its free, then why play any game? obviously if you have been playing in all the beta's you must have been enjoying it or you wouldnt have continued after the first phase, so your post is really about your lack of willingness to pay, rather than a statement about the game.image

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    [mod edit]

I do hope that was ironic o.o

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

I am totally happy it´s subscription based!

No nickel & diming cash shop! Full access to the entire game without restrictions!

Hell yeah! Like the good old days where you just pay a monthly fee and have full unrestricted access to a MMO!

And it also means people like the OP won´t be playing it!  Win / Win situation if you ask me :P

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196
    Originally posted by NetSage
    What do people want in quests when leveling?  I mean there can't be a dungeon and a boss for every level.  Even traditional RPGs have stupid side quests like this.  If you don't like quests don't do them.  Because every rpg is going to have quests like this.  Even GW2 where people praise the none questing ended up like this.  The only difference you don't have to talk to an npc.

Some games are extreme (rift) that send you back and forth to the same area multiple times for different quests. This is a bad quest system even if you do the same type of quests in other games. How it is presented matters even if the task is the same.Its offcourse personal prefferance but i get pissy if a game send be back and forth multiple times to the same area and sometimes even the same monster(this is rare) for different quests.

Im not saying ff is like this at all, i say the same quest can have good and bad design around it.

Guildwars 2 was excellent in this manner. You did your quest and moved on. if it was fun you could always do it again, but it was your choice.

I think sub is a bad idea, but ff aint a smal ip so might work out well for em

• eldelpuebloeldelpueblo Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Phry

if the only reason you'll play a game is because its free, then why play any game? obviously if you have been playing in all the beta's you must have been enjoying it or you wouldnt have continued after the first phase, so your post is really about your lack of willingness to pay, rather than a statement about the game.image

I think is because people think that developers live only from air and river water. Remember kids, we don't need food, so don't pay for our services! 

Originally posted by eldelpueblo

I think is because people think that developers live only from air and river water. Remember kids, we don't need food, so don't pay for our services! 

Oh we'll pay for em when you guys remember that crafting a game is an art not connect the dots.

Originally posted by Dihoru

Oh we'll pay for em when you guys remember that crafting a game is an art not connect the dots.

It's probably the most expensive and time consuming forms of art as well.

Expensive yes, time consuming... the greatest novels were written over the span of decades (and I am not talking multi-parters like Harry Potter, I am talking one book which may have come out in 3-4 pieces due to size constraints).

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by thunderC
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    This game will fail as a sub MMO.  If TOR couldn't survive as one as large of an IP as it is, why would this do any better when its essentially a WOW clone done worse. 

TOR Wasnt worth the sweat off my ball sac let alone a monthly fee, They should have paid us to play that overhyped single player P.O.S. they called a mmo.  Im not sure what you were trying to prove by bringing TOR into the converastion.....

cant say better!!

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    One of the few reasons I will be playing this game is because of the sub fee. Glad some folk are finally starting to see what F2P really is.

Expensive yes, time consuming... the greatest novels were written over the span of decades (and I am not talking multi-parters like Harry Potter, I am talking one book which may have come out in 3-4 pieces due to size constraints).

Considering novels are usually written by one person I would still say games still easily compare especially mmo's when you put combined time in there.  Remember it's not just one developer and there a lot of layers to a game.

Considering novels are usually written by one person I would still say games still easily compare especially mmo's when you put combined time in there.  Remember it's not just one developer and there a lot of layers to a game.

Remember that some of the best games are made by a visionary (Lord British, Chris Roberts, Sid Meyers, etc) so your comparison falls apart considering it is often one man actually crafting the experience as an theoretical form. Actual game development (IE actually building the game) can be likened to printing the book.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Soltek

So is FFXIV really going to be Subscription based? And if so will it have a cash shop? I'm finding it hard to believe. I don't think there's been a new triple A subscription based MMORPG since WoW in 2004.

Its all right. I don't think it will last for long as a P2P MMO. People these days just don't support P2P models as seen by so many MMOS going F2P.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

So is FFXIV really going to be Subscription based? And if so will it have a cash shop? I'm finding it hard to believe. I don't think there's been a new triple A subscription based MMORPG since WoW in 2004.

FF IP has many followers who will happily subscribe for this game.

If it wasn't for the huge FF fanbase this game would have gone F2P within 6 months.

Originally posted by ste2000

If it wasn't for the huge FF fanbase this game would have gone F2P within 6 months.

Sta Trek had many follower more than FF, Star Wars has many followers. more than FF, Warhammer has many followers again more than FF. IP and followers means nothing these days.

You can give IP fans a MMO which will cure cancer and they still wouldn't support it as a P2P model in long run.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Sta Trek had many follower more than FF, Star Wars has many followers. more than FF, Warhammer has many followers again more than FF. IP and followers means nothing these days.

You can give IP fans a MMO which will cure cancer and they still wouldn't support it as a P2P model in long run.

Can you please stop attempting to predict the future. Star Trek had a horrible release, and while I've heard positive things about the game lately, a bad first impression can make a big difference. SWTOR was actually a quality game in some areas. However it was also a huge letdown in others. Seemed more like a single player game when I played. Warhammer is actually the only relevant reference here, as it actually started off as a game. FF has a gamer following. A loyal fan base at that. 

Something else to think about. FFXIV is an MMO being developed by the company that contributed/made the original series of games. They know what kind of world they want. They've been doing this for a very long time.  You take games like Star Trek and SWTOR. For the most part decent games, but they were just put together based on a story someone else told them. It wasn't their original vision. It's their own take on what it should be. 

One last point. People are noticing that f2p games simply aren't worth the effort or investment. Often times these people are the ones that are putting in money into the 'cash shop'. These people realize how much of a ripoff it is, and sometimes would rather pay to play a game where everyone else is paying, and the playing field is the same for everyone. Who knows, maybe you're one of those people that doesn't pay a dime. Which means you play for free, because others pay. Nothing is free in this world. Not sure why you would expect your entertainment to be, and it's even worse if you expect everyone else to pay so you don't have to. 

• kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429

Go to Google, type in FFXIV reason for subscription.

There is a huge article by the leader of FFXIV stating why they are going subscription based.

It is a damn good reason honestly, and the game is worth 15 a month anyways. 

Here, did it for you.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/yoshi-p-defends-ffxiv-subscription/

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

Originally posted by kinido

Go to Google, type in FFXIV reason for subscription.

There is a huge article by the leader of FFXIV stating why they are going subscription based.

It is a damn good reason honestly, and the game is worth 15 a month anyways. 

Here, did it for you.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/yoshi-p-defends-ffxiv-subscription/

Thx!

Originally posted by mcrippins
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Can you please stop attempting to predict the future. Star Trek had a horrible release, and while I've heard positive things about the game lately, a bad first impression can make a big difference. SWTOR was actually a quality game in some areas. However it was also a huge letdown in others. Seemed more like a single player game when I played. Warhammer is actually the only relevant reference here, as it actually started off as a game. FF has a gamer following. A loyal fan base at that. 

Something else to think about. FFXIV is an MMO being developed by the company that contributed/made the original series of games. They know what kind of world they want. They've been doing this for a very long time.  You take games like Star Trek and SWTOR. For the most part decent games, but they were just put together based on a story someone else told them. It wasn't their original vision. It's their own take on what it should be. 

One last point. People are noticing that f2p games simply aren't worth the effort or investment. Often times these people are the ones that are putting in money into the 'cash shop'. These people realize how much of a ripoff it is, and sometimes would rather pay to play a game where everyone else is paying, and the playing field is the same for everyone. Who knows, maybe you're one of those people that doesn't pay a dime. Which means you play for free, because others pay. Nothing is free in this world. Not sure why you would expect your entertainment to be, and it's even worse if you expect everyone else to pay so you don't have to. 

Predicting future got nothing to do with what i said but the reality of MMO market these days. Game can be really good but majority just doesn't support this model anymore. 

Also i don't know from where you getting your information about these people who are noticing that F2P games simply aren't worth it.

Your last paragraph is pure assumption and speculation. Atleast when i say that P2P model isn't that popular anymore i have so many examples of failed P2P MMOS but you are just making up stuff as you go.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Game should have been BTP or FTP.
  • DarkwayDarkway Member UncommonPosts: 15

It's the same old,tired formula.......

Release game,charge full price,equals money. 

Players require a  subscription to play.......equals money.

People quickly get board,leave,game switches straight to free to play via the already in built shop.........it's about grabbing as much money while it lasts..........those who want the game NOW,pay the price for it.