Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Concept: How EQN could have open-world PVP and strongly limit griefing

1234568»

Comments

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    Originally posted by evilastro
    To those saying EQ is a PvE game, we know, but they aren't shutting down their PvE EQs, and they said they are doing something completely different in EQN. Also Smed has been on the PvP bandwagon lately.

Exactly.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I'm happy to be surprised either way. With all things its about how they implement it.
  • ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally

Freedom of choice.  Sandbox to me is about being able to fly over a mountain instead of having to go around it.  I hate that in EQ2 with flying mounts they have artificial barriers so players are forced to make a 2 min trip into a 10 min trip.  That is just 1 example.

Sandbox is also about allowing the players to create cities instead of having the devs create cities.  Allow the players to create their own kingdoms and them go to war with other guilds/kingdoms.  The most enjoyable way I have found to go to war is through PvP.  Greifing/ganking is just a by product of a necessary tool.  In Shadowbane I would go out and hunt enemy guild members to keep them from leveling.  In this way it kept the other guild on their toes, and it impeded new characters from reaching max level before a Bane.  Shadowbane however was very different as the whole game was about PvP/Asset destruction; by logging in to the servers you knew you were prey for anyone not in your own guild.

Some of the best PvP players I've known have been PvE players.  PvE players understand the mechanics very well, and understand their characters well, and normally do well in PvP.  The difference that I see is that PvE players don't like losing their gear/items when they die, and therefor do not want to risk dying.  If you take gear out of the equation and create something much bigger (cities) for people to fight over then losing gear is not an issue.  Personally I don't like a full loot PvP game; I prefer an inventory loot game, where all your equipped items are safe, but anything in your back pack is lootable.

Yes, but the devs still have to make choices on what freedoms to put in game. In your example, flying might not be in the game. So you can't assume the devs will see what they consider important in Sandbox, the same as you or I would. There might not be player built cities (though i hope their is). I only pvp when there is a good and fun reason to and your idea on cities/guilds battling each other sounds like fun, but if done wrong, PvE players won't go near it. It will be a fine line. It being f2p will make for more people trying it out even if it is ow non-consent pvp, but if ganking/bad community exists most won't stick around. Also, concerned about cs selling pvp advantages like siege weapons, if game revolves around large pvp battles, like cities. Even if they have a great pve experience and ganking is a problem, they will lose most pvers. Let's hope the toe the line between them correctly.

• Drunder40Drunder40 Member UncommonPosts: 4

I have a much easier solution. PVE servers and PVP servers.

I hope to god they don't force us non PvP'ers to PVP and get ganked like most other games that have PVP.

I only want EQ next to be exactly like EQ1 but with the new graphics engine. That would be the perfect scernaio for me.

EQ1 is the first MMO I played and the graphics is the only reason my wife and I left 4 years ago. Other than the graphics, EQ1 was my favorite MMO to play hands down.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    Originally posted by Drunder40

I hope to god they don't force us non PvP'ers to PVP and get ganked like most other games that have PVP.

I only want EQ next to be exactly like EQ1 but with the new graphics engine. That would be the perfect scernaio for me.

EQ1 is the first MMO I played and the graphics is the only reason my wife and I left 4 years ago. Other than the graphics, EQ1 was my favorite MMO to play hands down.

You're not going to be disappointed on Aug 2nd.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• Pneuma001Pneuma001 Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Gallus85 

You just make way too many assumptions that you know for a fact how things are going to be.  Not even saying I disagree with this statement, but I just wish people would stop assuming things.

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by Drunder40

They said something about a megaserver I thought. Eityher way, I want one pvp and one pve server. PVP isn't fun when you're killing someone who hates PVP. At least in EQ1  people on the zek servers knew they were in danger.

Originally posted by Pneuma001

You just make way too many assumptions that you know for a fact how things are going to be.  Not even saying I disagree with this statement, but I just wish people would stop assuming things.

I don't make any assumptions.

This person is going to be happy on August 2nd.

People who want PVP are going to be happy on August 2nd.

These are not assumptions.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• BBPD766BBPD766 Member UncommonPosts: 98

Yes. It's a fact. He was able to produce a nuclear reaction of 1.21 giga watts so his De Lorean could skip forward in time to August 2, 2013 and asked every single person that PVP'd if they were happy; they all said yes, then he came back for this post.

You can't predict what the PvP is going to be like without even experiencing it and pass it off as a fact any more than you can predict somebody's emotions. Clearly you haven't watched the movie Under Siege....

http://vimeo.com/61340790

Originally posted by BBPD766

Yes. It's a fact. He was able to produce a nuclear reaction of 1.21 giga watts so his De Lorean could skip forward in time to August 2, 2013 and asked every single person that PVP'd if they were happy; they all said yes, then he came back for this post.

You can't predict what the PvP is going to be like without even experiencing it and pass it off as a fact any more than you can predict somebody's emotions. Clearly you haven't watched the movie Under Siege....

http://vimeo.com/61340790

Oh no, I just mean that if you want PVP in the game, you're going to be happy in that regard.

If you want PVE only game play, you're going to be happy in that regard too.

Obviously I can't know if a person is going to like the game.  I'm just speaking about what's going to be in the game.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I still think there's a good reason why Babylon 5 showed us the radioactive wastes of San Diego.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.