Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of travel do you want in EQNext?

124»

Comments

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Gallus85
    Originally posted by Grailer
    I dont wanna be waiting 2 hrs for players to turn up to raid. Need fast travel. Even Ultima Online had fast travel

Not uh!  Back in my day we walked from Freeport to Kelethin barefoot up hills both ways, every day.

I understand that making travel super fast ruins immersion. But I liked how druids and wizards could offer travel services.

just like clerics offered rezing services. That was human interaction.

• Gallus85Gallus85 Member Posts: 1,092
    I dont wanna be waiting 2 hrs for players to turn up to raid. Need fast travel. Even Ultima Online had fast travel

Not uh!  Back in my day we walked from Freeport to Kelethin barefoot up hills both ways, every day.

I understand that making travel super fast ruins immersion. But I liked how druids and wizards could offer travel services.

just like clerics offered rezing services. That was human interaction.

1.  I don't see how it "ruins immersion".

2.  Fast travel is a choice.  If it some how ruins your immersion, you can choose to not use it.  Point I've already brought up, Skyrim.  Fast travel can be done at nearly any time to any place, and yet I choose to walk just about every where I go.  Why?  Because the travel is a part of the experience.  Crazy things happen and each trip out your door is an unknown adventure that results in character progression, loot, death/danger, interesting stories and funny scenarios.

3.  You say fast travel breaks immersion, but then it's cool when players are in control of the fast travel and in turn does not break the immersion?  No logic there.

4.  I like having human interaction.  I feel game mechanics should foster a little more of it (but not force it completely), but we're talking about fast travel.

Point is, fast travel doesn't break immersion.  Boring worlds that don't incorporate travel as an important and fun part of the game ruins immersion.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438

Part of the adventure should be traveling to your hunting grounds and also the knowledgeable that if your group or you ( if soloing ) mess up it is gonna mean a long walk back . It adds the need for a rezzer/cc/and bards or druids for that fast run and evac. If you making a group and you not worried about dieing or group wipeing then you will have no need for any class but tank/healer and dps.

Fast travel due to portals mean you are reducing the need for porting/ run speed buffs and cc so you don't wipe. When you are a porter you have another means of making plat and that adds to the fun for a lot of players . I made a lot of friends because of my enchanters buffing and my druids buff/ports. No need for them type of ports and you will miss out on a lot of player interaction ect.

Stop trying to make MMOs too easy they are supposed to be challenging . If you want easy play a FPS or single player game.

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

I would rather there be no fast travel.  It would be brilliant to have a world to explore and adventure in.

Fast travel features do have benefits in that it makes it a lot easier to hop and find something for 30 minutes, however it takes a huge game world (often with some wonderful hidden gems) and reduces it to bullet points along a race to progress.  Games now feel more like a lobby, pick the level you want to play, why even go to the hassle of creating a vivid game world if not to have some form of traveling.  As mentioned though the journey has to have something to keep it either refreshing or create memories, a 30 minute run for the sake of making players waste 30 minutes is bad... but one that forces players to experience the world have exciting adventures from events occuring on such travels is why many remember the old MMOs.

Originally posted by keenber

Part of the adventure should be traveling to your hunting grounds and also the knowledgeable that if your group or you ( if soloing ) mess up it is gonna mean a long walk back . It adds the need for a rezzer/cc/and bards or druids for that fast run and evac. If you making a group and you not worried about dieing or group wipeing then you will have no need for any class but tank/healer and dps.

Fast travel due to portals mean you are reducing the need for porting/ run speed buffs and cc so you don't wipe. When you are a porter you have another means of making plat and that adds to the fun for a lot of players . I made a lot of friends because of my enchanters buffing and my druids buff/ports. No need for them type of ports and you will miss out on a lot of player interaction ect.

Stop trying to make MMOs too easy they are supposed to be challenging . If you want easy play a FPS or single player game.

There are plenty of needs for CC/runspeed/quick evac/resses even if you could instantly get around the world.

The diversity of combat and the difficulty of the content would weight a lot more on those aspects than traveling would.

Legends of Kesmai, UO, EQ, AO, DAoC, AC, SB, RO, SWG, EVE, EQ2, CoH, GW, VG:SOH, WAR, Aion, DF, CO, MO, DN, Tera, SWTOR, RO2, DP, GW2, PS2, BnS, NW, FF:XIV, ESO, EQ:NL

Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by hMJem
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Number 3 because each travel was a minigame itself in EQ. It required planning and involved risk. Wonder if the memememee generation can ever accept it though.

Yep,traveling was an adventure in its self..

and no,majority of the memememe crowd would probably quit.

Or you could have both and appeal to both crowds at the same time.

as long as it doesnt diminish the exploration factor of the game,Im fine with that.

Another case of " I want people to play the game the same was as I am"

Why are flight points or ground mounts stopping you from adventuring the way you prefer?

Where did I say I want everyone to play the same way I do? hmm?

let me give you a scenario : Fast traveling from point A to point B...

if the devs expect everyone to choose fast travel from point A to point B,its quite possible this thought would pop in their heads - why bother putting anything interesting between point A and point B if people are just going to pass on through anyway?

So yes,I would like an MMO more my style for once,as Im sure you already have ton you already like,that has fast travel to boot.

That's pretty poor logic.  As I've often used before as an example, many games with fast travel have put a LOT of effort into making exploration and traveling a huge part of the game.

GW2 main open world feature is it's Dynamic event system.  A system that is praised for being revolutionary for MMORPGs and extremely complex on a technical side, yet GW2 has one of the most liberal fast travel systems in the game.

Skyrim is the same way, with random encounters, dragon attacks and tons of events and such that happen only as you travel, yet Skyrim still has an extremely liberal fast travel system.  Many would argue that traveling in the open world is the bulk of the fun of Skyrim.

The logic that "They won't make the world interesting if they're fast travel" is completely bogus.

Vanguard for another example started with zero fast travel, and traveling was boring outside of "sight seeing".  No special event system or random encounters... no travel-based quests or ANYTHING.  It was just boring travel + no fast travel.

Finally EQ had fast travel.  Even from the first week or two of the game you could get wizards or druids to fast travel you instantly across the world.  Oh except no one complains about THAT fast travel because players could charge people for a service?

Sorry but I don't buy the argument.  You can have a great open world, really worth exploring, and have fast travel too.  Be it player run, a rift/portal system, flying mount stations, whatever.