Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

League of Legends: US Government Recognizes eSports Players

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    [mod edit]

When the contract from Nike comes in, all that changes.

You do know that in South Korea they need bodyguards not to get swarmed, right?

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Pandamin
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

You're right. my bad. It was getting to long. perhaps ill go back and do that. thanks

And thank you for being civil about it. :)

I went back and shortened some of those posts. you were right. they were eye sores lol.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Dihoru
    The virginity is strong in this thread.

So does Lil Wayne. But rapping is NOT a sport.

Under the definitions used by you and quite a few in this thread: It is when he's at a concert with an extremely hostile audience.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

As another poster posted the definition is long, and has many facets.

I would argue that when you begin to take a bit from part a., some from part b., maybe a little from part c. you have lost the meaning and are just trying to use justification.

Being able to "justify" something does not make it correct.

Actually, justification is attempting to use a different logic to prove or maintain a point without data. The fact here is that it can be used as proposed. It was used as it is written. Wishing otherwise is opinion.

ESPN covers poker championships, so they must have accepted its use of the word also, no? 

Words change all the time, their meaning blurred from the original until it is socially accepted then formalized into the official language. 

Do I agree that e-sports is a sport? Not really, but I have to admit that my definition stems from how i viewed sports all this time. However, I do concede that words tend to change and become something else after time. I never heard of the word 'Bling' growing up, yet now it's in the dictionary.

Under the definitions used by you and quite a few in this thread: It is when he's at a concert with an extremely hostile audience.

No I don't think so.

We are taking offence at the COMPARISION of video games to professional athletic events.

Originally posted by whisperwynd

As another poster posted the definition is long, and has many facets.

I would argue that when you begin to take a bit from part a., some from part b., maybe a little from part c. you have lost the meaning and are just trying to use justification.

Being able to "justify" something does not make it correct.

Actually, justification is attempting to use a different logic to prove or maintain a point without data. The fact here is that it can be used as proposed. It was used as it is written. Wishing otherwise is opinion.

ESPN covers poker championships, so they must have accepted its use of the word also, no? 

Words change all the time, their meaning blurred from the original until it is socially accepted then formalized into the official language. 

Do I agree that e-sports is a sport? Not really, but I have to admit that my definition stems from how i viewed sports all this time. However, I do concede that words tend to change and become something else after time. I never heard of the word 'Bling' growing up, yet now it's in the dictionary.

SO lets not call it "e-sport" but "pro-gaming" hmmm, that make everyone happy?

Should but it wont.

But... but.... they have rap battles and competitions with judges and rewards! Clearly using a combination of every definition of the word "sport" would warrant rap to be considered a sport! Don't you think?

/sarcasticrantoff

But... but.... they have rap battles and competitions with judges and rewards! Clearly using a combination of every definition of the word "sport" would warrant rap to be considered a sport! Don't you think?

/sarcasticrantoff

They did toss Jay Z and Beyoncé some visas to go to Cuba.........Since this started as "e-sports to get visas" lol

[mod edit]

/sarcasticrantoff

[mod edit]

@FourOSix: I was making a jest as to the physical effort required by said rapper to survive the concert would add the required element. Thus he would fulfil the condition of conducting the sport of rap.

Feel sorry for APOC though... especially with the ESPY example he brought up in a previous post... most if not all of the guys who got that award within the last decade were incrementally more roided up than the last... in comparison to that... pro-gamers are vanilla in terms of drugs (I really can't think of one which would help boost performance without hindering something else at the same time).

Feel sorry for APOC though... especially with the ESPY example he brought up in a previous post... most if not all of the guys who got that award within the last decade were incrementally more roided up than the last... in comparison to that... pro-gamers are vanilla in terms of drugs (I really can't think of one which would help boost performance without hindering something else at the same time).

If you have such a low opinion of athletics, why the lobby to be considered "one of them"? Wouldn't you rather be something different, maybe even better? All these posts about how " it is a sport, they are no different then us", then you follow with an assertion that the best athletes are all "juiced". I get the attempt to "tear down demi gods". But not when you want to be one.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Okay, so I play LoL and I watch all the pro games. So I know quite a bit about this game at least and what is involved in becoming pro.

1. LoL is not an easy game. It has a high learning curve, which is second in difficulty to the amount of effort and time required to actually master the ever evolving game, if you even have the natural physical and mental ability to master it. Yes, it is physical, since twitch skills and reactionary hand movements is physical. No where near that of an athlete, but it is physical.

2. In order to become pro, you must first have a team. That team must be its own business entity, and get its own sponsorship. You also have to compete in the challenger tier, which not many teams percentage-wise are even good enough to get into. Then you have to win the tournaments to get into qualifiers.

3. LoL pro teams have an intense training regimen. They train several hours a day, not to mention the hours spent critiquing their training sessions and other teams strategy. It's as mentally grueling as a football players physical training session (speaking from experience as an ex-football player). Speaking of which, I played sports in both high school and for the marine corps, so I'm not speaking from some bias or anything.

4. Someone mentioned that e-sports isn't a sport, because they're "games." Well, hate to break it to you, but football, soccer, basketball etc. are all games too. Games that many of us played for fun while growing up, yet due to a lack of natural ability and etc, we couldn't compete at the college level, much less pro. Well, sound familiar? It's the same with e-sports. Lots of people play LoL for fun, but lack the natural ability and dedication to ever make it pro.

There are many sports that aren't anymore physical than e-sports and are even less mentally demanding, such as fishing and shooting. As an infantry Marine, I can tell you that shooting a rifle at a target is not physically demanding. It doesn't require athleticism to be an expert shot, nor does it to know where to fish, and what bait to use. In fact, e-sports is sort of like Nascar. You need a good head for strategy and great twitch/reaction time skills. Not to mention the ability to work well with a team. Yet Nascar is a sport. 

Oh, and there's plenty of out of shape (fatties) playing Golf, yet that's a sport too. More physically demanding than an e-sport, but not even on the same level as physically demanding as swimming and football for example. Yet some of you all are defending its right to be a sport.

Problem I'm seeing is a lack of education on this forum. Definitions change over time. We're just witnessing a change in the definition of the term sport. Learn to deal with change, makes like easier. As our species becomes more and more glued to technology, we'll see more and more competitive sports that take place over a technological median. The internet is just one of many steps in that direction.

If you have such a low opinion of athletics, why the lobby to be considered "one of them"? Wouldn't you rather be something different, maybe even better? All these posts about how " it is a sport, they are no different then us", then you follow with an assertion that the best athletes are all "juiced". I get the attempt to "tear down demi gods". But not when you want to be one.

Because those aren't the best athletes, the best ones reach the Olympics and bar a few scandals most of those awards are legit. I find very few of the modern sports (football, soccer, rugby, nascar, formula 1, etc) to be actual sports with any real depth... I mean looking at the Olympics most of the sports there test one or more of the basic human characteristics (agility, strength, endurance, etc) whereas the modern sets of sports we defined in the last 200-300 years are just degenerate forms of this with no real purpose and which nowadays for some inane reason earns allot of money. To elevate the athletes in modern sports somehow above pro-gamers in this context seems like a double standard because pro-gaming as a sport is no more or less elevated than modern sports when compared to the classical sports.

To put it another way: Chess which is a game that has existed for at least 1000 years is not considered a sport but chasing around a inflated ball of pig skin (or plastic depending on the game) is considered a sport though it has only existed for roughly half that time ( and I am being extremely generous in counting the death games the brits used to have which were anything but rugby or soccer).

[mod edit]

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Its not about being th same, is about being treated the same. I read this whole thread and see stereotypes and retarded comparisons to drinking games and stuff like that and i quite frankly feel sorry for some of you.

This people put loads of effort into their sport and get payed a well deserved 300k a year on average. They deserve your respect.

Pro-gaming is a sport, and its only a matter of time for the whole world to see it. It will happen as it grows bigger and bigger eventually.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

No offence to gaming, but puke.

"e-Sports" is NOT on par with actual athletes.

I support "pro-gaming" where one might be able to make a living playing video games, but I do NOT think of that as being an athlete.

Why not? It isn't physical, but neither is archery, shooting, sailing, equestrian, golf, fencing or curling, and they're all Olympic sports. 

[mod edit]

Archery is very physical

Sailing is very physical

Equestrian is very physical

Most of what you mentioned demand a good amount of endurance and different areas of  body strength. Archery demand upper body strength to steady the bow string while pulled back. Sailing requiring being able to manage heavy ropes, and so on.

Pro gaming cannot be conducted if you either have arthritis, or are not very experienced with a mouse and keyboard. It's not about physical ability as much as it is about the physical skill and competitive level of play.

Originally posted by denshing
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

No offence to gaming, but puke.

"e-Sports" is NOT on par with actual athletes.

I support "pro-gaming" where one might be able to make a living playing video games, but I do NOT think of that as being an athlete.

Why not? It isn't physical, but neither is archery, shooting, sailing, equestrian, golf, fencing or curling, and they're all Olympic sports. 

[mod edit]

Archery is very physical

Sailing is very physical

Equestrian is very physical

Most of what you mentioned demand a good amount of endurance and different areas of  body strength. Archery demand upper body strength to steady the bow string while pulled back. Sailing requiring being able to manage heavy ropes, and so on.

Pro gaming cannot be conducted if you either have arthritis, or are not very experienced with a mouse and keyboard. It's not about physical ability as much as it is about the physical skill and competitive nature.

Add in carpel tunnel and improperly healed fractures to the mix (even some severe fractures which heal properly will still end a pro-gamer's career).

[mod edit]

/sarcasticrantoff

[mod edit]

@FourOSix: I was making a jest as to the physical effort required by said rapper to survive the concert would add the required element. Thus he would fulfil the condition of conducting the sport of rap.

Perhaps we should call you Mr. Fantastic instead of Mr. Glass. You would have to be Mr Fantastic to accomplish this loooooooooooooooooooooog reach your trying for.

EDIT:

This subject has turned into a flame feast that i feel would cause me to pull an individual out of the bar and into the street so i dont think i can continue this pointless conversation any longer. Video games, at any level is not a sport. Sorry for all you underdeveloped teenagers who could not make a sports team in high school. Sorry to all the over weight kids that dont have the hand and eye coordination God gave to a sloth. As much as you may want this to be recognized as a sport, it wont be.

[mod edit]

/sarcasticrantoff

[mod edit]

Perhaps we should call you Mr. Fantastic instead of Mr. Glass. You would have to be Mr Fantastic to accomplish this loooooooooooooooooooooog reach your trying for.

You do know it's not going to work right? Now tell me when you reached China.

[mod edit]

/sarcasticrantoff

[mod edit]

You do know it's not going to work right? Now tell me when you reached China.

You got to admit, that shit was funny lol. Dont hate.

Really don't care one way or another, sports as a field is fucked up by popular perception, the same perception that gave us such wonders as Justin Bieber, One Direction and , just to amuse myself further, the whole notion that sports are about physical exertion and that athletes are to be revered when a good, good portion of them have no natural skill and rely on chemical enhancers to cope.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

TL;DR: sports are sports, esports are esports. They both should get travel visas. Just because you label them differently only implies characteristics, not qualities of either.

I know it's probably irrelevant to cast my opinion on this piece, but I'd like to reiterate what a lot of people have been saying that eSports certainly are not sports. But they're also not fake sports or "not real" sports or whatever people have been saying in this thread. eSports are eSports, sports are sports... whether you think one is more worthy of praise comes down to personal opinion, but they're now two different classifications.

The reason we give things these categories is to identify them with similar characteristics. Football, Basketball, Hockey, Tennis, etc. all come with the specific trait of being competitive games that require skill and physical exertion or very active physical activity often by players at the peak of their physical ability & athleticism. The majority of official dictionaries attribute these characteristics to the word sport.

Just because it has sports in the name does not mean it was intended to be labeled as a "Sport". eSports are also competitive games that require skill but take place in a digital format, which is different enough from typical sports to give it a separate classification. The e in eSports denotes that it does not share the same or similar characteristics of physical requirements from the participants. The physical requirements of eSports (mental/twitch/mostly hands and arm conditioning) is different enough from typical sports where the full body or most parts of the body are at use in a physically demanding setting (swimming the fastest, running the fastest, throwing the farthest or most accurate, kicking or riding, etc) that a separate classification should definitely be in order.

Maybe you can make a separate but equal argument, but that would be quite sensationalist and probably pointless of you to do and I think as far as classification goes, it's definitely worth having different terms for different things.

Does this inherently make eSports any less competitive? I'd say no. Does it inherently make them any less challenging? I would again so no. I'm not gonna meddle into politics but I don't think either is inherently more deserved of travel visas either, which is why they both now have that ability.

My 2 cents.

Really don't care one way or another, sports as a field is fucked up by popular perception, the same perception that gave us such wonders as Justin Bieber, One Direction and , just to amuse myself further, the whole notion that sports are about physical exertion and that athletes are to be revered when a good, good portion of them have no natural skill and rely on chemical enhancers to cope.

Now you're arguing that Sports are tainted in some way, that negates the conventional way we preceive sports to be and that somehow this introduction of this "new form" or "vanilla" as you called it "e-sport" is in your view a true form of sport? Hell no.

Look in the end it is what it is. The playing of video games does not a sport make. end thread. We have gone over the definition of the word sport over and over again in this thread and in the context of what A sport is, video games DO NOT fall under that context.

Sorry this doesn't sit well with you or those in this thread that feel it should be considered a sport but its not. Have fun debating this topic further as i have nothing more to add to it. Iv said my peace. Ill just leave you all with this....

Video games are played FOR sport, Its not A sport. Context ftw

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Look in the end it is what it is. The playing of video games does not a sport make. end thread. We have gone over the definition of the word sport over and over again in this thread and in the context of what A sport is, video games DO NOT fall under that context.

Sorry this doesn't sit well with you or those in this thread that feel it should be considered a sport but its not. Have fun debating this topic further as i have nothing more to add to it. Iv said my peace. Ill just leave you all with this....

Well, all of your rants should have been sent to your congressman then since it is now recognized by the government for the issuance of visas (unless you aren't in the U.S). 

Your FOR-A is quite irrelevant, even in context since again as it's done. And now it has legal precedence. 

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

Now you're arguing that Sports are tainted in some way, that negates the conventional way we preceive sports to be and that somehow this introduction of this "new form" or "vanilla" as you called it "e-sport" is in your view a true form of sport? Hell no.

You keep making that distinction but it doesn't mean anything to the argument because people who play for tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars at international level of competitive gaming with big name sponsors and fame & fanbases are not playing "for sport". They are playing an eSport, a competitive game that takes place over electronic media (dispelling the requirement for athleticism & physical aptitude that's typically a requisite of traditional sports).

That saying usually means there's a casual nature to the competitive game, e.g. a game of football with your friends in a field during a picnic. Similarly, playing a game of LoL against/with your friends is playing for sport.

I don't think it is, by the definition, a sport either because they're distinctly separate competitive formats, differentiated by the types of skills that the participants need. But if you keep saying that same line over and over again, you appear to be arguing that video games cannot be played at the same competitive level or scene as traditional "sports", which they most certainly can.