Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: A Different Kind of Norrath

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As we slowly march towards the seminal day of August 2nd, speculation has already begun to mount about what exactly EverQuest Next will be. In our new column devoted to EQN, we talk a bit about what SOE has revealed so far and opine about a few other topics. See what we have to say before adding your voice to the comments.

I have to admit something: I secretly angled to go to SOE Live in August once I heard that the big news of the annual event would be more information released about EverQuest Next. After reading the list of SOE Live’s newly announced panels, I figured that it was a good time to dive into each and to talk about what they could mean.

Read more of Suzie Ford's EverQuest Next: A Different Kind of Norrath.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    "Creating the World"  Exploration (with risk) is my favorite part of MMO's.  I want to gawk at the EQN World and see it, explore it, and OCD-ly look at every nook and cranny.  

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    The classes, I really want to see how combat and classes will be implemented. Hopefully we will see a game that brings back the need for cc and pullling(monks, sks and bards oh my), and a game that is more than just instance dungeons and the holy trinity.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• mhoward48mhoward48 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    I am looking forward to actually getting some lore information about the game. Of course the classes too. Hell, I want to know everything about it!!!
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I am very much interested in how Smed's vision of a sandbox will work out for Norrath.  The potential impact of this alone will make it, in design, much different than the other two EQ's.  I really hope it all pans out in this regard.

My other desire is to see the classes, races, combat, AA's?, leveling and the general lay of the land.  I played both EQ's and I was an avid explorer and an equally avid altoholic.  I really need to know if EQN is going to snag me so I can continue doing that in the new Norrath.

2 weeks left!!  Here's to crossing fingers.

Ohh..and I also really would like to know how invasive the Cash Shop is going to be.  Are there going to be UI prompts to make your life easier for just 50SC peppered everywhere?  They've been gradually doing that with the EQ2 interface, which as the players know, has been a test-bed for EQN.  I'm not concerned about the CS contents in itself, as they've all been non-game impacting so far, houses, mounts, potions, etc.  I just don't want the interface to be filled with buttons like "30SC for a full armor repair!"  "25SC for a fast travel!"  "Get that spell upgraded for 200SC!" only on a more increased level than EQ2.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

All their MMO's are part of a community that thrive on each other and aren't abandoned eh..?

Remember that Infantry Online game they would tell EQ 1 players to play the MANY times there was a server problem or patch...?

Remember how they left it deserted and told most of its staff to focus on EQ games instead of it?

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Never heard of Infantry online, sounds like a fps.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Ya, I don't remember Infantry either. Must be really old lol

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Where the hell are the damn Erudites

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Ohh..and I also really would like to know how invasive the Cash Shop is going to be.  Are there going to be UI prompts to make your life easier for just 50SC peppered everywhere?  They've been gradually doing that with the EQ2 interface, which as the players know, has been a test-bed for EQN.  I'm not concerned about the CS contents in itself, as they've all been non-game impacting so far, houses, mounts, potions, etc.  I just don't want the interface to be filled with buttons like "30SC for a full armor repair!"  "25SC for a fast travel!"  "Get that spell upgraded for 200SC!" only on a more increased level than EQ2.

Yep, same here. Those cash shop reminders everywhere totally break immersion in an MMO. At least for me. But I don't have high hopes we won't see them in EQN. Even if you have a subscrption. Unfortunately....

• AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185

Why does everyone assume that the name of a certain panel confirms classes in EQN?

Seeing as how SOE wants to make a huge surprise, it seems much more logical to announce a classless skill-based system during the panel.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Maquiame
    Where the hell are the damn Erudites

Yeah the Erudite of Odus and not the alien freaks of EQ2.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Aceshighhhh

Why does everyone assume that the name of a certain panel confirms classes in EQN?

Seeing as how SOE wants to make a huge surprise, it seems much more logical to announce a classless skill-based system during the panel.

Smed has already mentioned Druids and hinted at not having some big skill based system.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

I'm most interested in how they're building the world, how we'll interact with it, and what we'll do.  I'm also very interested in class structure and character progression.  I'm actually not as interested in how the lore will compare to the previous iterations.  Other than familiar names, I expect them to build the lore around game mechanics as they always do.

I am interested in how the whole "alternate Norrath" is going to change things.  While I am not a lore-hound, there are some things that people that have been with the EQ's for a while have come to expect.  I'm hoping its not too far out there to make it feel awkward.

This is one of my biggest concerns.  I don't mind what they offer now in the EQ2 station store, but I hate how I'm constantly prompted and poked with the option to spend Station Cash.  Even the "Buy Gold Status" popup is really cheap and annoying.  I really hope they present things like Tera and Rift do with their cash shop.  I also hope they have a premium (subscription) status that provides bonuses and boosts like EME and Trion do with Tera and Rift, respectively.   I hate how Gold status is implemented in EQ2 and how I feel they double dip with the cost of xpacs and then the need to pay to unlock Legendary and Fabled equipment from that same xpac.  Anyway, I feel those are important, if not small, concerns.

They won't be game-breaking if  EQN is fantastic.  If the game isn't ~really~ what I expect and the Cash Shop prompts are there as well, then it will be one of the factors that will make me say yay or nay. 

I hope with the reduction in classes their roles become more important.  Specifically, Crowd Control.  Enchanters were invaluable in EQ, but their abilities in EQ2 got sidelined with ever increasing numbers of CC immune mobs until Illy's and Coercer's were just mana batteries and buff bots.  I'd like to see how they manage this in EQN.

That there will be classes has already been clearly announced.  There won't be nearly as many as EQ2, rather "closer in numbers to the original EQ".

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Originally posted by zellmer

Remember that Infantry Online game they would tell EQ 1 players to play the MANY times there was a server problem or patch...?

Thats waaaaay oldschool. Back when patches and maintenance sometimes took 2-3 days and EQ was down for atleast 1 whole day a week.

• DarkGulrakDarkGulrak Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Oh crap, I've got myself caught in the web of hype for EQ Next.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

That there will be classes has already been clearly announced.  There won't be nearly as many as EQ2, rather "closer in numbers to the original EQ".

I never liked the idea of two kinds of druids, it made the Fury I played feel like half a druid compared to EQ 1's version.  I certainly hope they model them much more like EQ 1 and I certainly hope they don't go with EQ 2's combo based combat system.  I hate being told which buttons to push and in what order or suffer the consequences for not complying.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

All I want to know is whether or not there will be instancing so I know whether or not to ignore it.

Also, the amount of hand holding. Smed claims little to none but I don't buy it. THAT I'll have to wait until beta to find out.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

I never liked the idea of two kinds of druids, it made the Fury I played feel like half a druid compared to EQ 1's version.  I certainly hope they model them much more like EQ 1 and I certainly hope they don't go with EQ 2's combo based combat system.  I hate being told which buttons to push and in what order or suffer the consequences for not complying.

Combo based system? What are you talking about?

Unless you mean heroic opportunities? Which to be honest, are fairly worthless. I just put the starter in my macros and let them finish themselves.

Or were you talking about something else? Fatal follow up chains? Beastlord primal chains? I really don't know what else you could be talking about. Everything else is just a damage / heal priority list.

• SintrixSintrix Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Combat will make or break it for me. Can't do any more Tab+ DDR numpad MMOs.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Sintrix

I 'm with you there.  Tab Target is so yesteryear it isn't even funny.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Oh nooo, Dave mentioned pillars.  That is one of the doom signs for mmo's lol.
  • newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Originally posted by Sintrix

As long as the combat is smooth and responsive, I'm fine with whatever. I'm not going in with expectations of it not being a Tab Target game.

• TheAp0stleTheAp0stle Member Posts: 1
    He looks like Lucan D'Lere ..