Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: A Different Kind of Norrath

124»

Comments

• DerangedcowbrainDerangedcowbrain Member UncommonPosts: 56
    ^This. This is what makes a game a sandbox folks.
  • lordshroom420lordshroom420 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    What i miss in the mmo World is danger of being killed ! like in EQ 1 one wrong turn and you could be dead! That is what mmo's today are missing! That is why you get so bored with your game and move on to the next F2P game or bounce around between them! MMO are to user friendly Care bear! and so sick of the single player mmo games ! forced to be in a group is what i'm looking for. Exploring Vast new worlds With your old friends and making new ones on the way!  p.s. Bring Back The Danger!!

• Isamright33Isamright33 Member Posts: 60
    Welp, that settles that...won't be trying this game. If the premise is that every game is made for bragging then it's going to fail. Also, this is 2013 not 1999...people don't have time for facebook, mmorpg's that take more than a few hours a night...your going to cause cognitive dissonance and their going to quit. Focus on the gameplay....not how addictive you can make the game, the later will result. EQ 1 was good but the days of playing an mmorpg where you can't solo are gone...that sort of thing is a luxury...most of us have to work and learn very complicated things in real life...

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

interview from a year ago  (June 2012)

http://www.tentonhammer.com/previews/everquest/soemote-and-eq-next

"Wait until you see spellweaving in the next EverQuest," Georgeson teased. "I've said too much but you've never played a game like it. I can promise you that.

"We have two EverQuest games we can already use as testbeds for what we plan on with the next one. While we're doing that we're putting a huge focus on storytelling over the next year. We want characters to become memorable parts of the story arcs. We want to bring back the world to virtual worlds. This is a re-imagined Norrath. Think of the EverQuest games as three separate universes--a multiverse."

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    My big hope for this game is that it is hopefully better optimized than EQ2 was. I can't say anything for EQ1 having never played it but EQ2's optimization is horrible and even on newer computers the game runs badly.

Smile

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Isamright33
    Welp, that settles that...won't be trying this game. If the premise is that every game is made for bragging then it's going to fail. Also, this is 2013 not 1999...people don't have time for facebook, mmorpg's that take more than a few hours a night...your going to cause cognitive dissonance and their going to quit. Focus on the gameplay....not how addictive you can make the game, the later will result. EQ 1 was good but the days of playing an mmorpg where you can't solo are gone...that sort of thing is a luxury...most of us have to work and learn very complicated things in real life...

I love this recurring assumption that because you were 15 playing a game, everyone was 15 playing a game.  In 2000, the average EQ player was over 30 years old. The vast majority of us already had careers at that point.

http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/gateway_demographics.html (from 2004)

• BaleoutBaleout Member Posts: 141
    Well its looking good  and I am looking for a new game I can only hope its what I want.
  • SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Originally posted by Rudder

EQN has an overblown hype rating. Nothing has been set into stone yet. All we hear is maybe or

we might. Personally, i think SoE is just blowing smoke

Yeah well "hype" in the modern gaming concept means how much interest and excitement there is for the game; it has nothing to do with what we know.  And, blowing smoke? About what? Since they have said very little, I suggest they can't be "blowing smoke" much if any at all. The real "blowing smoke" I see here is people outside of SOE making statements about the game that are based on nothing but ideas in their own heads, and that has nothing to do with SOE.

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• SmokeysongSmokeysong Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Originally posted by craftseeker
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    I get the feeling this game is going to suck and here's why: We know wayyyy too little about it considering it launches in just a couple of weeks.....I get the feeling it either gets pushed back a few months or is going to be a disaster..... If this game is going to be major scale at all it has simply come along too quickly.

The game doesn't launch in a couple of weeks.  Sony will release information about the game in a couple of weeks.

I guess it depends on your definition of launch.  But yes the curtains come down and we get to see inside the black box in a couple of weeks.  We may even get some information about beta(s), planned release dates and pre-orders.

It is possible, but extremely unlikely, that some of those dates may be in early August.  I say again possible but extremely unlikely.  So stand by for the information, but do not have your credit card in your hand just yet.

The definition of "launch" as applied to a game is very specific; it means the date a game becomes available for purchase in a retail setting and can be played. It doesn't mean "announcement about when it will be available" or "day you can start pre-ordering" or anything like that, never has.

Have played: Everquest, Asheron's Call, Horizons, Everquest2, World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265

Stop reading with your ass. I did not say the one was better than the other. I clearly said they are just different. And stop trying to define what terms people should use. Themeparks generally use non-FPS systems. You know that, I know that. Stop trying to be a smart ass. An FPS system was not used 20 years ago because the technology did not exist. You are smoking something pretty strong if you think otherwise. Simple fact was tab-target is the first system used due to hardware constraints. Those constraints are now fading and thus tab-targetting as the only fighting system.

But I always forget you guys on the internet just argue for the sake of it.