Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

GW2 Ruined Combat for me

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Every time I try to plan another MMO, if it doesn't have some sort of dodge or movement it just feels slow, old, and boring! Even FPS's feel less exciting. I didn't realize it was because of GW2 right away. Rather I kept thinking, why does this feel to dead, so slow? Then I instinctively tried to dodge once and it hit me, GW2!

GW2 has many things I would like to change, but I have grown very fond of that combat.

Comments

• grensealgrenseal DublinPosts: 2Member
    Try Tera Online - it will ruin gw2 combat for u :)
  • KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon
    I am going to play ff XIV but I run into this a lot myself.

• MardukkMardukk Posts: 1,556Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by grenseal

GW2 ruined me for combat as well.  I play a certain MMO, that is coming out this year, and I'm bored to tears.  Tera, with it's constant self rooting, was maddening.  I ran back to slow tab target happily after playing Tera.

• QSatuQSatu WarsawPosts: 1,735Member Uncommon

it depends. After gW2 I hated the constant rooting of my character to use a skill.

• OziiusOziius Baltimore, MDPosts: 1,388Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tierless

Every time I try to plan another MMO, if it doesn't have some sort of dodge or movement it just feels slow, old, and boring! Even FPS's feel less exciting. I didn't realize it was because of GW2 right away. Rather I kept thinking, why does this feel to dead, so slow? Then I instinctively tried to dodge once and it hit me, GW2!

GW2 has many things I would like to change, but I have grown very fond of that combat.

I am on the other side of the fence. To me, all of the dodging looks absolutely ridiculous. I'm am very into the "look" of combat as much as the feel. Why I think Gw2 is a amazingly STUNNING game in terms of the visuals, all of the constant dodging kills me. I fought something a week or so ago when I finally logged back and and there were about 8 or 9 people there just rolling all over the fucking place. It really hurt the feel for me and the look of combat as it looked like a group of acrobats fighting at the circus...

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,455Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Praetalus

I am on the other side of the fence. To me, all of the dodging looks absolutely ridiculous. I'm am very into the "look" of combat as much as the feel. Why I think Gw2 is a amazingly STUNNING game in terms of the visuals, all of the constant dodging kills me. I fought something a week or so ago when I finally logged back and and there were about 8 or 9 people there just rolling all over the fucking place. It really hurt the feel for me and the look of combat as it looked like a group of acrobats fighting at the circus...

I"m kind of with you. I don't mind some classes to be "dodgy rolley" but when everyone is rolling and flipping it just seems silly.

• botrytisbotrytis In Flux, MIPosts: 2,567Member

Not really - the plant and use skill in TERA is very annoying.

"In 50 years, when I talk to my grandchildren about these days, I'll make sure to mention what an accomplished MMO player I was. They are going to be so proud ..."
    by Naqaj - 7/17/2013 MMORPG.com forum

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,277Member Uncommon

Wushu did it for me. If I can't double and triple jump, sprint, dash, and control my movement when doing this, I feel like I'm glued to the ground.

oh and being able to scale walls... omg not being able to in other games is so image

• DjuchadeDjuchade KaladimPosts: 29Member
    Street Fighter Alpha ruined combat for me, i can't even hadouken mobs around me :(

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,206Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Praetalus

The excessive rolling around can look silly, but to me, not any sillier than just standing in place rotating through skills "dodging" because the rng engine said so.  I mean my rogue in the tab-target games just stands there and doesn't need to move.  Yeah, I can move around and do so now by habit from my other games, but it's all just show.  It doesn't matter if I move or not.  That's silly.

GW2 and TSW combat are a lot of fun, but my favorites, so far, are Tera and Neverwinter with GW2 and TSW close behind.  I still love Rift, but the tab target rng style combat is so very static and it feels lackluster by comparison.

What is "ruined" for me is that I can only really stand to play one game with that style of combat.  So I play Rift, and that pretty much sidelines EQ2, LotRO, and most any other classic tab-targeted rng combat based game.

• arobiarobi Posts: 112Member Uncommon
    I can't stand how tera roots you for certain skills. I love gw combat definetly has ruined my experience when going back to some older mmo's. swtor, tsw and rift i just could not get into again among others.
  • RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVPosts: 2,228Member Uncommon

Tera has abysmal combat, I can't wrap my mind around why people like it so much.

I can understand why people like traditional tab target combat.

I can understand why people like GW2 tab+free form combat.

I can understand why people like rhythmic based action combat like Vindictus.

I can understand why people like turn based combat.

I can understand why people like full action combat like Devil May Cry.

But I can't, at all, for the life of me, understand why people keep saying Tera has good combat. It's terrible. It's bad and should feel bad.

• ZadawnZadawn SPosts: 651Member
    Originally posted by Rusque

Tera has abysmal combat, I can't wrap my mind around why people like it so much.

But I can't, at all, for the life of me, understand why people keep saying Tera has good combat. It's terrible. It's bad and should feel bad.

You suck, and with this statement im as original as you are.

• flizzerflizzer Manchester, NHPosts: 1,550Member Uncommon

I have to agree with feeling the combat in Tera is abysmal.  

But I am so loving GW2 combat even if it means rolling around. LOTRO has been a game I have played and loved for years.  In fact, there are many things about the game I still love. Combat, however, is not one of them and playing LOTRO today is painful for me. 

• XssivXssiv Haskell, NJPosts: 359Member
    Being able to run while casting in GW2 makes it very difficult for me to play casters in other MMO's.  
  • RandaynRandayn Sellersville, PAPosts: 883Member Uncommon

First, rolling and casting while in movement is also possible in TSW.  I also think TSW implements the roll mechanic  alot better than GW2.

also, Im sick and tired of action combat in MMORPG's.  Call the games MMOAG's or something.  I've been playing the FFXIV beta and the game is amazingly good.  The combat has an old school flair to it that I've missed over the years.

• stayBlindstayBlind Suwannee, GAPosts: 527Member

The rooting of Tera is part of the reason why I find the combat system better than GW2.

That and the fact that certain classes have dodge, others have block, and others have get away skills is so much cooler than everyone just having dodge (lol full plate mail dodge? why?)

Playing a High Elf Slayer makes me feel like I'm playing a High Elf Swordmaster from Warhammer. :)

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Thereiam, ARPosts: 2,697Member

I didn't find GW2 combat all that amazing. Then again AC was one of my early MMOs and you could move out of the way of projectiles and slide around while casting.

Seeing constant rolling/flipping dodges does get just plain ridiculous. And to the person who said it looked less silly that standing in place fighting, really? Having a full set of amazingly heavy platemail on and standing in place seems sillier to you then rolling all over the place?

I think games need a good solid mix of movable and non-movable combat. Kiting becomes way too ridiculous when you can use all of your ranged abilities while running (that was how I handled most things in GW2, I just never stopped moving while damaging things). It also hurts melee classes a lot because why be one when you get far more protection from staying at a distance while running and shooting/casting. Instead they need to have low damage simple spells/shots while moving and significant spells/shots requiring a stand still. Go ahead and try running around with a powerful bow in the real world and see how many shots you can get off that go at all where you want them to.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Xssiv
    Being able to run while casting in GW2 makes it very difficult for me to play casters in other MMO's.  

After going Dagger Mage I can't imagine casting any other way.

All of the rolling is silly, but I find it equally as silly to stand in one place while a mob beats on you.

• RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVPosts: 2,228Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Zadawn
    Originally posted by Rusque

You suck, and with this statement im as original as you are.

Okay . . . so that made sense.

• seafirexseafirex gatineau, QCPosts: 357Member Uncommon

Well i love GW2 combat a bit but the mobs, they don't have any good AI. They just keep running after you all the time. I feel like am in a FPS instead of a mmorpg. They should have kept the feel of a mmorpg and add the FPS style combat like they did. Like this people would have loved the game way more. 

I know that people in 2013 like fast pace games but it does not have it's place in a mmorpg. Don't get me wrong they could speed up the pace a bit more then traditional mmorpg but to make them feel like a FPS as they did no way. 

The character in GW2 look like a CoD game. Jump and then Jump some more. Hide behind the tree or rock to avoid getting it. And then keep running and rolling some more, play a bit of hide and seek. etc.etc. until X mob is dead. That's all there is to it 

Nothing fancy what so ever.

Don't get me wrong it is a good game but the play style looks wrong. They should not have mixed both style together like they did. Mage should be able to cast while moving yes. Same goes for all other class and even use all kind of weapon's as they do. But to make us run like they do omg. They have to work on adjusting the AI of the mobs way more then this. even in real life animals and human's don't move as much as that or keep going after you as much while getting it like we hit them in that game.

In a fps style of game you see them hide at some point to avoid getting it. In GW2 they just go after you mindlessly like if they are telling you "kill me, kill me". No sense of any feeling what so ever. Could be also i am just not made for this style of game. Probably i am more a traditional mmorpg type of player. That might be the reason why i am playing only a few hours a month and get tired real quick all the time with this game. I find myself logging in only to admire the view more then anything then i level up a bit and then i stop again because i don't feel like my character makes any sense. 

I was even one of those protecting this game a lot before it came out. But now that the game is out and i have tried it way more, i see what other's where trying to warned me about.

Edited : Again this is my personal view on the game i could be wrong on lots of thing. Don't judge like if i am trying to make people change there mind on the game. Some still love this game but for me i just like it but i just can't love it. 

• ThillianThillian BratislavaPosts: 3,143Member Uncommon
    The Secret World has the same active combat with dodge and no rooting during casting whatsoever. Majority of the fights, including boss fights, requires constant movement and dodging. Plus, TSW has one of the best character building ever seen in MMORPGs.

REALITY CHECK

• AsalzSyAsalzSy ChitungwizaPosts: 224Member
    just want to say Blade&Soul combat is a lot faster from GW2 with dodging & the follow-up system from tera..its almost perfect...but the game have in my opinion huge problem with small areas,walls & guest system..thats why i think they delay so much to release it here.
  • ZydariZydari Fort Worth, TXPosts: 84Member
    I agree Age of Wushu's movement rocks!

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Virginia, VAPosts: 2,131Member
    Originally posted by bcbully

Wushu did it for me. If I can't double and triple jump, sprint, dash, and control my movement when doing this, I feel like I'm glued to the ground.

oh and being able to scale walls... omg not being able to in other games is so image

Think you just won the thread.