Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen: Rise of the Indies Film & Chris Roberts

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A new video has been released called "Rise of the Indies". In this particular episode, the team behind the film interviews Star Citizen's Chris Roberts and Dave O'Preska about the forthcoming game. Of particular note is Roberts' contention that he thinks about the game on a daily basis so that it can be "awesome". 

Check it out and then let us know what you think in the comments.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

I am really curious on this game. Just for only one reason and that's the huge income on money they raised already. It should be everything in gold for that price. Just a little review :  Kickstarter :$2,134,374

pledged of $500,000 goal

+ their own ingame cash shop 

And this "Star Citizen hits $14 million crowdfunding goal" so this company believe people are really so stupid to spend money on this crap? If I would go into 1990 then the games were made for 7% of their income. And now days are a lot Indie games better and their costs  lesser. Probably someone should make an a audit in your company. 

Edit : If someone going to say that SWTOR costs were around 150M so what ?  They don't needed to beg anyone on kickstarter. And they went with that risk on market without knowing if they going paid back or not, but all these companies on a kickstarter etc, are being funded before they do any single thing done. So that argument is really not acceptable.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• FaulknerFaulkner Member UncommonPosts: 108

Hello,

I think what Star Citizen is doing is great.  It is trying to become the first all crowd-funded game.  This way Chris Roberts and Gang can do what they please with the game and not have investors or publishers tell them when to release the game, and that it should appeal to everyone...etc..

If anyone who has spent time on their site knows, this Development team is Class A.  I have never seen a team release as much information, and then change things has they get feedback from us! the gamers. 

Folks are excited for this game and as folks purchase virtual items, they get access to alpha, beta, other misc goods as well.  

I say congrats on what they have accomplished and best of luck to them as this games continues to develop.

Cheers,

Faulkner

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    What indie games are "better" and "made for less" that look anything like what Star Citizen is hoping to accomplish? Retro-style 8-bit graphic platformers on steam?
  • jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by lickm3

I am really curious on this game. <snip>

If you're telling me that you can't see the difference between a game made in 1990 and one made in 2013, I'd seriously suggest getting a full medical check-up.

Though It's pretty rough trying to figure out what you're critiquing, I gather that you're saying that pledging a game on Kickstarter is a stupid thing to do, presumably because one is just giving money to a team without any proof they'll produce anything?

Valid point if that's the point you're making, which is why anyone pledging anything should be doing a reasonable amount of investigation before ponying up their money.

In this case, CGI long ago raised the amount of money they would need to produce a complete single-player space sim descendant of Wing Commander.  That is what most people were pledging to support in the beginning.  So at a bare minimum, you're pretty sure that you'll get something.  It might suck, sure - but people are backing it in the hope that it won't (same as pre-ordering a game or getting a lifetime membership).  Nothing stops the more cynical from waiting until it's released and making their judgement then.

Not sure what the SWTOR comment was about - that team was certainly using other people's money to develop that game, that's what being a publicly funded company is all about.  Thing was, they needed to make more than development costs to break even - CGI's crowdfunded approach means they can start turning profit as soon as development costs are covered.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

I am really curious on this game. Just for only one reason and that's the huge income on money they raised already. It should be everything in gold for that price. Just a little review :  Kickstarter :$2,134,374

pledged of $500,000 goal

And this "Star Citizen hits $14 million crowdfunding goal" so this company believe people are really so stupid to spend money on this crap? If I would go into 1990 then the games were made for 7% of their income. And now days are a lot Indie games better and their costs  lesser. Probably someone should make an a audit in your company. 

Edit : If someone going to say that SWTOR costs were around 150M so what ?  They don't needed to beg anyone on kickstarter. And they went with that risk on market without knowing if they going paid back or not, but all these companies on a kickstarter etc, are being funded before they do any single thing done. So that argument is really not acceptable.

I so much hope you wont by this game! If you do I gank you till you quit.

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• MaznukMaznuk Member Posts: 3
    Looking forward to this game!  I think a lot of the future MMOs will be started through kickstarter opposed to the massive titles from EA and others.  As much as I've been let down by games in the past I continue to be hopefully optimistic with Star Citizen!
  • silentkillahsilentkillah Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Depart this comment thread. Trolls are out in abundant force!
  • jocan2003jocan2003 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by morbuskabis

pledged of $500,000 goal

I so much hope you wont by this game! If you do I gank you till you quit.

Amen and if you find him, send me a PM ill help ya out :). So far from design docs, what they are willing to put in the game, the current situation of the game and the overall quality is just fragging impressive i mean.... i dont know ANY other company who could mix ALL what they are doing, they are way to affraid to take a risk. Good thing for us Chris did take the risk and the success on kickstarter is more than just raising money, its a way to know if his idea and preliminary design would draw customers in.

By that i mean, say he did the kickstarter and failed horribly, well he just learned that his game would not be as succesfull has he hoped and can do the necessary correction to his design plan, but the sheer and monstruous success of his campaign and all the player actually buying stuff before it is released is a clear sign that his ideas is actually what a lot lot lot lot lot of player would like to see.

So yes haters gotta hate, but in this case... i really wish i could understand why they are hating a monstruously successfull campaign and very nice design plan, and... the animation and visual quality, i mean come on... really? If you dont want to pledge on kickstarter dont, but its an option that is working and is more and more freeing up the indie scene from the evil publisher, some publisher are nice but some others doesnt care about ANYTHING exept their return on investment and nothing else. Chris and his team care about ONE thing and ONE THING only, please his player and work with them to make a very very great game.

I hope this wall of text wasnt that scary and PLEASE... if you find that guy in game, you better send me a message damn you....

P.S.: I do realise there is mistake and typpos in my text but i am french and i know i make mistakes, i just cant see them myself so i am sorry for that.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Oh, my god. The nut towads the end of that video: "I wont tell you i have allrady spend more than 1000$ on the game. <smirk>" "We spend more time theory crafting over this game than playing other games."

Get a life dude...

• NikaasNikaas Member UncommonPosts: 135

pledged of $500,000 goal

so ppl obviously spend money on this "crap" :P

Games are made for far less and far more money, so what? How making a game for 50k invalidates another made for 14M, or another made for 200M?

Plus ppl in kickstarter DONATE money - this means you will see audit going on some other life :P