Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] WildStar: Carbine Speaks on Combat and Targeting

Comments

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Have to try it to see how its like, and get use to it some , see how long it takes to get really good at it.

I wont judge if its good or bad yet without trying it like some people. 

At least they are trying to do something different which I must give a big high five to Carbine.  There is enough tab targeting games out there as it. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

does this video mean i can play Wildstar with a gamepad? if its not traditional tab target im sure as hell ill be using a gamepad.

EDIT: also i really REALLY need to be able to go to the settings and turn off the telegraphs. I dont need them to hold my hand to stay alive. I like when i die because i wasnt careful. THat teaches me to fight carefully. Telegraphs make me feel im not a normal person.

• AtheaAthea Member UncommonPosts: 79
    This mechanic changes the entire game. The old tab targetting systems are old school. People actually want to have some skill and play against people with skill, having to line up healing,targets,ect... introduces a whole new type of gameplay (such games as Tera, Darkfall, Mortal Online have that type of combat) and it's amazing. I'm glad they chose this.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    dont like combat system. skill and rpg just not fit together, tis also makes klling mobs painfull becouse u need all time aim and move. no relax combat.

plenty of other tab target games you can relax with. Good that some of us that want more action type combat are finally getting it.

Exactly!  The guy should go play FFXIV, I hear it has a boring combat style he may enjoy (albeit I don't know how anyone could enjoy tab target).  Different stokes for different folks.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• EQN13EQN13 Member UncommonPosts: 26

Looks like another kiddie hand holder game like wow with people jumping around 98% of the time. 

I don't understand why they don't just take it one step further and all you have to do is log in and the game plays itself and that leaves your hands free to spam Gen chat  with l33t speak about their gear score and epeen.

• hadatihadati Member UncommonPosts: 28
    It's a strangely bittersweet feeling reading up and watching all the dev videos for Wildstar. Its sweet because I am always left thinking, "Great idea! How come other MMO developers aren't doing that? I can't wait to try this out..." (I.e. paths and targeting and custom home building on a floating homestead that you can defend with missiles). What makes it bitter is that I've been signed up for beta from literally the day Carbine put the Wildstar site up and... No beta. Bittersweet I tell you. Like I got an invite to an amazing party but then ended up only being able to look in the windows at the fun all the other peeps are having and some random guy comes out to smoke every hour or so and he fills me in on all the best stuff that's happening inside.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    dont like combat system. skill and rpg just not fit together, tis also makes klling mobs painfull becouse u need all time aim and move. no relax combat.

plenty of other tab target games you can relax with. Good that some of us that want more action type combat are finally getting it.

Exactly!  The guy should go play FFXIV, I hear it has a boring combat style he may enjoy (albeit I don't know how anyone could enjoy tab target).  Different stokes for different folks.

honestly tab target is as enjoyable as action combat. Of course what matters to anyone is which of the two you enjoy? Disliking one particular style doesnt make it bad or boring or wrong by default, only to you. Personally Im very interested in Wildstar freeform combat because ill sit back on the couch with my gamepad and have a great time.

• iFruitiFruit Member UncommonPosts: 98
    This is game I will definitely spend at least a year in. Unlike the other announced projects of which there is little more than pictures of Orcs and whatnot. All the luck to Carbine, hope they wipe the competition all over the floor.
  • Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301
    So my understanding is that this game is more like Tera/NW in combat?  More so then say GW2?  If that's true, this game has gotten even better!!

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin
    So my understanding is that this game is more like Tera/NW in combat?  More so then say GW2?  If that's true, this game has gotten even better!!

Far from it, cuz both Tera/NWN lock your movement hard(Tera even harder than NWN) during animaions and dont use telegraphs for player skills all that much.

From what Ive seen the combat actually looks like cross between SMITE(way the skills work) and GW2(freedom of movement). 60%SMITE-40%GW2 imo :D

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

So far I was in "barely waiting to play" mode ... but not sure anymore ... I just hope they will not OVERLY COMPLICATE things making all much less appealing.

Well as long I can move avatar with pressing both mouse buttons and have 3rd view I will for sure try.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Why oh WHY can I never get into a beta.  I SOOOO  much want to play this game.. NOW!!

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Gatcha?
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    II tried Rift last week. Good game but after playing GW2 this past year the combat wa sooooooo boring!!! Not to any fault of the f
    Game just the combat system. Freedom of movement during combat changess everything.
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Man this game is so hot. I think this one will be a big hit, at least for me it will. When the devs speak it feels like kisses on the right spots. There is passion behind this game.
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by Athea
    This mechanic changes the entire game. The old tab targetting systems are old school. People actually want to have some skill and play against people with skill, having to line up healing,targets,ect... introduces a whole new type of gameplay (such games as Tera, Darkfall, Mortal Online have that type of combat) and it's amazing. I'm glad they chose this.

It's not about skill vs no skill. It's tactical vs technical/active. I think there are still a lot of people who like the tactical kind of combat.

I hope they found a way to challenge the player in being active in combat, while still keeping the tactical element present.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Vorch
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    The one thing I'm worried about this game is that NCsoft will push the Wildstar team to have a cash shop with RNG or gatcha like items like they did with the Guild Wars 2 team (ArenaNet).

If it's pure aesthetic or pointless convenience like GW2, that's not the worst thing that could happen.

I'm just awaiting the pay model.

Pure aesthetic would be fine. If that was the only thing. But nobody seems to pay much attention on how the ability to transfer real money into the game's economy destroys it.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by Xarko
    Originally posted by Sho0terMcgavin

Far from it, cuz both Tera/NWN lock your movement hard(Tera even harder than NWN) during animaions and dont use telegraphs for player skills all that much.

From what Ive seen the combat actually looks like cross between SMITE(way the skills work) and GW2(freedom of movement). 60%SMITE-40%GW2 imo :D

This. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

I enjoy how every game that comes by, we see droves of people going, "I WISH THE COMBAT WAS LIKE X INSTEAD OF Y." 

Why? Would we really want every game to have the same type of combat? I rather enjoy the various takes. Even if some are better than others. 

• TwobitTwobit Member Posts: 8

A players knowledge of the abilities in the game, a characters facing, and the animations should be enough to know where an ability is going to hit - I hope they achieve that.

• TwobitTwobit Member Posts: 8
    A player's knowledge of the abilities in the game, the character's facing, and the ability animations should be enough to know where the ability is going to hit - I hope they achieve that.

• Jasper300Jasper300 Member Posts: 62

This game looks horrible...... Little kid graphics and 3rd person shooter.. not an mmo.

What about Tanking and healing ?

• NephelaiNephelai Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    II tried Rift last week. Good game but after playing GW2 this past year the combat wa sooooooo boring!!! Not to any fault of the f
    Game just the combat system. Freedom of movement during combat changess everything.

What on earth are you on about GW2 has animation lock Rift doesn't. While both games never made me switch, GW2 has to be the most simplest boring combat game I've played. I cant help it but every promotional video I watched of GW2 made me think it was designed by middle aged women. You know the ones, the ones where women repeat "we're making a game about you" x eleventy billion. Just make it good I would of settled for that.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Plenty of action combat games out there now, we're long past due for a new tab target / auto attack MMO.  We haven't seen one since Rift, but you guys have oldies like Darkfall, The Secret World and DC Universe Online and more recent games like Tera, Planetside 2, Dragon's Prophet, Guild Wars 2, Defiance and Neverwinter.  Then you have all of the upcoming games like Elder Scrolls Online, Archeage, Star Citizen and most likely EverQuest Next and now Wildstar has caved.  All we have to look forward to is the remake of Final Fantasy XIV.

I'd say you already have more than your fair share.  If Wildstar sticks with this and decides not to offer an option to tab target, then I'm sure as hell not going to play it.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Plenty of action combat games out there now, we're long past due for a new tab target / auto attack MMO.  We haven't seen one since Rift, but you guys have oldies like Darkfall, The Secret World and DC Universe Online and more recent games like Tera, Planetside 2, Dragon's Prophet, Guild Wars 2, Defiance and Neverwinter.  Then you have all of the upcoming games like Elder Scrolls Online, Archeage, Star Citizen and most likely EverQuest Next and now Wildstar has caved.  All we have to look forward to is the remake of Final Fantasy XIV.

I'd say you already have more than your fair share.  If Wildstar sticks with this and decides not to offer an option to tab target, then I'm sure as hell not going to play it.

Archeage and FFXIV are both tab targeting so your wrong.  Until there is an action style combat system for every boring tab target then the studios need to keep making action games.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!