Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The SOE Live panels were updated - Panels include: classes, lore, the world, Q & A

Comments

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Whesky
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    Originally posted by muffins89
    i already don't like that there's a "story".   let us make our own for once. 

A game without a story isn't a game, you end up with something like Minecraft.

You need a minimum of lore to have any meanginful adventure.

Say what? Of course minecraft is a game. But I'm sure you didn't mean it like that.

I am all for lore and story though, just not a "story driven mmorpg", I am sick of those. I also think lore is even more important.

I enjoyed SWG and now Eve, there's story in both, it's not just what drives the game. 

Story is still important to EQ fans. Minecraft being a game or not is irrelevant, most of us want some story going on.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Roguewiz
    Originally posted by JayFiveAlive
    Dear lord! August 2 and 3 can't come soon enough. EPIC!

I know right?  I got an email from SOE saying " only 20 days until the event, plan your trip accordingly".

Curse them!  Like I really needed to be reminded that it is "still 20 days until the event".

Where is Butters and a frozen mount top when you need it!

I really have to hand it to SOE.  They are spending little to nothing on advertisement on this game and have created a huge amount of interest.  Even those who are never really got into EQ/EQ2 are raising an eyebrow at ole SOE.  

LOL even cranked up the EQEMU project 99 again to get a small fix 

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Originally posted by Iadien

Say what? Of course minecraft is a game. But I'm sure you didn't mean it like that.

I am all for lore and story though, just not a "story driven mmorpg", I am sick of those. I also think lore is even more important.

I enjoyed SWG and now Eve, there's story in both, it's not just what drives the game. 

Story is still important to EQ fans. Minecraft being a game or not is irrelevant, most of us want some story going on.

Sure, I'll take story about the world and the Lore behind it.  However, I don't need a story about some farmer that lost his daughter to a plague, or a story about my character.  Thats WoW and SWTOR respectively.

The problem with story and letting players experience it is this:  The more story you have, the closer to themepark you become.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity

Sure, I'll take story about the world and the Lore behind it.  However, I don't need a story about some farmer that lost his daughter to a plague, or a story about my character.  Thats WoW and SWTOR respectively.

The problem with story and letting players experience it is this:  The more story you have, the closer to themepark you become.

I highly doubt they're going to reveal EQN and talk about farmers. It's going to be big picture stuff.

Storybricks is going to allow them to do all kinds of different things with NPCs, and change the way we interact with them.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Only part i want to comment on is the mention of Foundry.They already have that in EQ2 ,so that would be nothing new.Also it never seems to be that good of an idea even in NW ,i never found them to be any better or different than the game's quests.The reason is lack of tools,something EQ2 also lacked in and i doubt we will see much different in NEXT.

Another problem is NW did the Foundry for free,SOE used it's dungeon maker via the cash shop,that is the real problem i have with SOE.I again expect nothing to change,SOE is looking to create everything around the cash shop.I simply do not like any form of trying to mislead consumers with free to play moniker when they are truly nothing of the sort.Where SOE crossed the line is charging me a subscription and still trying to get more money out of me,same low ball tactics that Kings Isle does.You CAN NOT charge a sub then make the best items in game cash shop,that is a low ball tactic.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

The more story you have, the closer to themepark you become.

That's totally false. EQ has the most elaborate story of any MMO out there, there is so much lore you could fill thousands of books with it, and EQ wasn't a themepark, it was one of the most free and unrestricted PVE MMO out there.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

That's totally false. EQ has the most elaborate story of any MMO out there, there is so much lore you could fill thousands of books with it, and EQ wasn't a themepark, it was one of the most free and unrestricted PVE MMO out there.

EQ was the granddaddy of theme parks.

Originally posted by evilastro

Another person who never played it.

There was nothing in EQ that said themepark, nothing. There were almost no quest, no rails whatsoever, no restrictions of any kind, no PVP instances, nothing.

EQ didn't even have maps, something EVE and other games that people claim are sandboxes do have.

EQ had didly squat to do with a themepark.

• d13vs13d13vs13 Member Posts: 3

I think at some point you have to differentiate "lore" from "story."

When I first read this, I thought story would pertain to your character's "story."  In cases like this, it is pretty linear.  There are choices in some games, but the outcomes are usually limited.

Story in the context of lore is a little different, I think.  If each town has a story, each area, each city, etc, etc.. that's when it's more sandbox-y.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Only part i want to comment on is the mention of Foundry.They already have that in EQ2 ,so that would be nothing new.Also it never seems to be that good of an idea even in NW ,i never found them to be any better or different than the game's quests.The reason is lack of tools,something EQ2 also lacked in and i doubt we will see much different in NEXT.

Another problem is NW did the Foundry for free,SOE used it's dungeon maker via the cash shop,that is the real problem i have with SOE.I again expect nothing to change,SOE is looking to create everything around the cash shop.I simply do not like any form of trying to mislead consumers with free to play moniker when they are truly nothing of the sort.Where SOE crossed the line is charging me a subscription and still trying to get more money out of me,same low ball tactics that Kings Isle does.You CAN NOT charge a sub then make the best items in game cash shop,that is a low ball tactic.

SoE says they're pushing it much further. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wVIIIZ6ETtY#t=114s

Originally posted by d13vs13

I think at some point you have to differentiate "lore" from "story."

When I first read this, I thought story would pertain to your character's "story."  In cases like this, it is pretty linear.  There are choices in some games, but the outcomes are usually limited.

Story in the context of lore is a little different, I think.  If each town has a story, each area, each city, etc, etc.. that's when it's more sandbox-y.

The Lore of EverQuest Next panel...

Another person who never played it.

There was nothing in EQ that said themepark, nothing. There were almost no quest, no rails whatsoever, no restrictions of any kind, no PVP instances, nothing.

EQ didn't even have maps, something EVE and other games that people claim are sandboxes do have.

EQ had didly squat to do with a themepark.

I did play it. It had very clear raid progression. Themepark.

Just because you got lost while levelling, doesn't make it a sandbox. That isn't a sandbox definition.

New games have had more hand holding, but at its core EQ was a themepark.

So a game that has raids is now a themepark? Many of the raid mobs were open world raids.

So I guess EVE is a total themepark since it has completely linear ship and skill progression.

Give me a break.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

To the fellow (and others) clamoring for old school locked in classes: Prepare for the disappoint

Dave Georgeson: "I agree with Chris. Let's say I have a character that I really, really like. And I've named him and I wrote a background for him and I figured out what he looks like and I've created his house and all this other stuff. I don't feel like I should have to be relegated to a single class. I don't feel like that that's a restriction that needs to happen. And I do believe that there are ways to balance the game to be able to let you have more choice. Because ultimately this is a role playing game and you should be able to play the role that you want to play. Without necessarily having to recreate another character. My opinion. And I think that there's a lot of ways we can go down those paths so that they are really interesting and very cool for the players. And we will be pushing that a lot farther."

Chris:"In EQNext."

Dave: "In EQ Next."

So a game that has raids is now a themepark? Many of the raid mobs were open world raids.

So I guess EVE is a total themepark since it has completely linear ship and skill progression.

Give me a break.

Yes, pretty much every game that has raids is a themepark.

Any game focused on PvE gear progression is a themepark.

I see, Darkfall is a themepark then. Shut up will you.

I see, Darkfall is a themepark then. Shut up will you.

Darkfall is a themepark.... Just one with OW PvP...

Seriously, you have no clue.

Originally posted by hMJem

To the fellow (and others) clamoring for old school locked in classes: Prepare for the disappoint

Dave Georgeson: "I agree with Chris. Let's say I have a character that I really, really like. And I've named him and I wrote a background for him and I figured out what he looks like and I've created his house and all this other stuff. I don't feel like I should have to be relegated to a single class. I don't feel like that that's a restriction that needs to happen. And I do believe that there are ways to balance the game to be able to let you have more choice. Because ultimately this is a role playing game and you should be able to play the role that you want to play. Without necessarily having to recreate another character. My opinion. And I think that there's a lot of ways we can go down those paths so that they are really interesting and very cool for the players. And we will be pushing that a lot farther."

Chris:"In EQNext."

Dave: "In EQ Next."

That may just mean that we can switch to different classes, because Smed mentioned druids in a interview. http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/20/soe-live-2012-john-smedley-on-eq-next-and-soes-future/

Give me a break.

EQ is considered a themepark, it's obviously not like WoW, but there is a linear progression. There are very few real sandbox mmos. http://sandboxt.net/sandboxt/page/SandboxMMOGamesList

Give me a break.

EQ is considered a themepark, it's obviously not like WoW, but there is a linear progression. There are very few real sandbox mmos. http://sandboxt.net/sandboxt/page/SandboxMMOGamesList

Thank god, someone with a brain.

there is a linear progression

Are you saying EVE doesn't have linear progression? Because everything about EVE progression is linear.

Are you saying EVE doesn't have linear progression? Because everything about EVE progression is linear.

I have never played eve, I have no idea. lol

Well, name me an MMO without linear progression then.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

I dont get it, what do Druids have to do with anything? Even in FireFall and FFXIV with games doing similar type systems there are classes. You just arent locked into them

You didnt seriously think it'd be a system where you're classless the whole game and just pick what you want as you level/skill up and it combines into your own super class did you?

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    just say no to multi classing it just aint eq , subclasss maaaybe it probably just means you can switch to different classes  not that u can be a bit of everything at once its more like my mage  is also my alt druid at the same time i just have to probably switch gear and then i cant use my mage  powers while useing druid

Entropia Universe

Entropia Universe

It has linear skill progression locked behind level progression.

Even EQ didn't do this, many of the skills weren't locked behind level progress.

Try again.