Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not my kind of game

Firstly before I get flamed I'm not saying its a bad game, just not the type of MMO I like, will just give some simple facts that may help if your thinking of buying.

• Invisible Walls EVERYWHERE, the world looks beautiful and inviting, I was having a nerdgasm until I actually tried to go anywhere. If you like a wide open world to explore steer clear.
  • Combat is soooo boring, its WoW but with shared cooldowns.
  • Map System is badly done.
  • Every area is zoned, even your starting city is broken up in zones.
  • The quest are your basic go there kill these mobs....like squirrels, no seriously you have to kill squirrels, and all of the mobs you need to kill are in a neat little pile, just standing there.
This game would have been good.... 5 years ago. 
One plus is that the visuals are very nice and bright, you have loads of inventory space and you only need one char as you can change classes by just changing your weapons, so its not all doom and gloom, but a wow killing next gen MMO this definitely is not. 

Just my 2 cents, no insult intended to the peeps who like this game, more power too you, sadly I will have to keep looking.

Comments

• LydeckLydeck Member Posts: 80
    Tell me again why this needed it's own thread?
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by darkoraclex

Firstly before I get flamed I'm not saying its a bad game, just not the type of MMO I like, will just give some simple facts that may help if your thinking of buying.

• Invisible Walls EVERYWHERE, the world looks beautiful and inviting, I was having a nerdgasm until I actually tried to go anywhere. If you like a wide open world to explore steer clear.
    • Every area is instanced, even your starting city is broken up in instances.
    • The quest are your basic go there kill these mobs....like squirrels, no seriously you have to kill squirrels, and all of the mobs you need to kill are in a neat little pile, just standing there.
    One plus is that the visuals are very nice and bright, you have loads of inventory space and you only need one char as you can change classes by just changing your weapons, so its not all doom and gloom, but a wow killing next gen MMO this definitely is not. 

Just my 2 cents, no insult intended to the peeps who like this game, more power too you, sadly I will have to keep looking.

Hey, if it's not your game, it's not your game.  Though the highlighted bit is something you might want to change.  These quests pretty much stop by level 5 as a whole, so many will question just how long you played to come to the opinions you have.

The combat actually gets much better by the time you unlock the armory and level other classes to obtain different skillsets.  Though if it's too slow for you, it will likely always feel that way.  Many people say the combat's too fast, but it's just a matter of personal taste and if you want to just spam buttons without thinking of what next to press (especially at later levels).

With regards to the invisible walls, there were so much more in Alpha.  They actually really made it open now, with pretty much only walls near deep water or a very high cliff that leads into an area that isn't a part of the zone (as opposed to just have mountains everywhere to block areas as some games do).

Also, the areas aren't instanced, but rather zoned.  Quizzical, someone who seems to know a lot about technical aspects, said in an earlier post that the prettier something is (the more beautiful objects, points of interest and nature it has), the more time it needs to load.  The first version didn't have zones, but was a barren waste land of epic proportions.  So there is logic in what he is saying.

:)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by Lydeck

Because he's allowed to state his thoughts in his own thread. Would you have a problem with it if he loved the game?

at least he shared his opinion with courtesy and respect...what did your comment bring to the table?

Before you say it, i will be subbing this game..

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    Originally posted by Lydeck

They same way you just reacted, an opinion needing to be expressed.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

Just have to correct this part. People getting this wrong always bugs me. The areas are not instanced, they are zoned, like EQ was. Zoning for me at least takes less than a second, not a big deal, never minded zones.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I agree with OP on every point. Although many people are able to overlook those faults due to it being FF and having a high level of polish and graphics.

It is nice to see a well put together mmo (even with some questionable design decisions)...it all works.
  • darkoraclexdarkoraclex Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Vynt

Just have to correct this part. People getting this wrong always bugs me. The areas are not instanced, they are zoned, like EQ was. Zoning for me at least takes less than a second, not a big deal, never minded zones.

You are correct sir, my bad.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Hey, if it's not your game, it's not your game.  Though the highlighted bit is something you might want to change.  These quests pretty much stop by level 5 as a whole, so many will question just how long you played to come to the opinions you have.

The combat actually gets much better by the time you unlock the armory and level other classes to obtain different skillsets.  Though if it's too slow for you, it will likely always feel that way.  Many people say the combat's too fast, but it's just a matter of personal taste and if you want to just spam buttons without thinking of what next to press (especially at later levels).

They don't stop by level 5! Mobs are seriously tagged with an ICON and MARKED on your map.

Really? How much hand holding do you need?

People not clever enough to seek out and find squirrels?

Don't you feel a little bit insulted by it?

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

Firstly before I get flamed I'm not saying its a bad game, just not the type of MMO I like, will just give some simple facts that may help if your thinking of buying. Invisible Walls EVERYWHERE, the world looks beautiful and inviting, I was having a nerdgasm until I actually tried to go anywhere. If you like a wide open world to explore steer clear. Combat is soooo boring, its WoW but with shared cooldowns. Map System is badly done. Every area is zoned, even your starting city is broken up in zones. The quest are your basic go there kill these mobs....like squirrels, no seriously you have to kill squirrels, and all of the mobs you need to kill are in a neat little pile, just standing there. This game would have been good.... 5 years ago.  One plus is that the visuals are very nice and bright, you have loads of inventory space and you only need one char as you can change classes by just changing your weapons, so its not all doom and gloom, but a wow killing next gen MMO this definitely is not.    Just my 2 cents, no insult intended to the peeps who like this game, more power too you, sadly I will have to keep looking.    

I agree with your opinion, but the further into the game you go the more depth it has.....

I will be subbing despite some of your highlighted areas. The one thing I really dislike is the map system but I expect I will get used to it. It's just not user friendly at first glance. The game has a lot of potential.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MagKilnMagKiln Member Posts: 46
    Nicely said OP. I enjoyed FFXI, I just don't see this working out for me either.
  • Zarine7Zarine7 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I found it pretty bland, other than the graphics. It would be great for a F2P or B2P game, but at $14.99/month? No thanks.
    Originally posted by StoneRoses
     -Snip-

They don't stop by level 5! Mobs are seriously tagged with an ICON and MARKED on your map.

Really? How much hand holding do you need?

People not clever enough to seek out and find squirrels?

Don't you feel a little bit insulted by it?

Are you talking about the Hunting Logs now?  No, I don't feel insulted by it.  It's a valuable part of a system.  It has no baring on my enjoyment as I don't pay attention to frivolous things, but rather the enjoyment I personally get out of something.  Lingering on small things will make it near impossible to find an MMO that one likes as everyone will have something I will hate if I really get cynical about it all.  If that was one of the reasons for me not liking a game, I'd probably be laughed at by some of my friends.  Mainly because if that's something I complain about -- when there are games out there with worse problems -- then the game is probably doing something right.

At later levels you definitely have to figure out how to do some things.  I know someone who had to ask around to figure out how to be the level 15 boss until he was told to do... various things (so as to no spoil it) and basically be prepared for the fight and watch for certain things.  Also, beyond your first class you will have to be doing things on your own to level up the rest to find efficiency.

In my opinion, it's doing something valuable.  Most left during Valkurn Dunes way back, saying that the game sucked.  It's doing much of the same this time around with a "slow" combat system, a lot of reading and getting rid of people who only play for a few hours and then decided.  There are soooo many nice people on the servers that I've met that are 15+ and stuck with it to get to points that are truly enjoyable.  I doubt many of the typical "action combat" and "WoW" mentalities (Tera and WoW have such bad communities) will make it past these points.  Though I'm not saying anyone here is of bad manners (nor trying to imply that people who enjoy those games automatically fit into that category), as everyone here seems pretty mature and nice on their own, so as I said previously... If you don't like the game, you don't like the game.  :)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

• Every area is zoned, even your starting city is broken up in zones.

• I don't recall running into a single invisible wall during my time in beta, except for a few times when I tried to walk off very high cliffs, where the fall would have killed me anyway. The maps are very open, I'm not sure what you're talking about here.
    • "WoW but with shared cooldowns"? WoW also runs on a GCD system that is exactly the same, except that FFXIV's GCD is 1 second longer to begin with. But okay - early combat is not that interesting - I'm curious how far you went though, I'm guessing not too far beyond level 10. Once you start getting higher level, and leveling multiple jobs, things spice up - but it's not for everyone I suppose.
    • I had zero problems with the map system, but others were complaining about this too, so I guess not everyone finds it intuitive. Fair enough. Hardly a make-or-break feature on its own though.
    • I don't understand why zones are categorically bad, but I guess if you were hoping for a totally seamless world, it's a let down, yeah. Understandable.
    • This makes me think you only did the first few quests, because things require more map travel and searching out of mobs later; but if your main complaint that similar mobs are near each other and (if not part of a FATE), not doing anything special, then I guess you're right, and I don't know what to tell you, or what you expect (this has pretty much been the case in every MMO ever?).
    I don't recall the game ever marketing itself as a 'WoW-killing next gen MMO' - even when it came out years ago in its original version, and then was entirely remade. Due to the history of the game, there are reasons they didn't have a lot of room to take big gambles with design, but it's certainly not going to satisfy one's thirst for innovation. It's a perfectly solid game in its own right though, and up to modern standards, even if not too mechanically innovative. I'm sorry it wasn't what you were looking for.
  • PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    I've always hated cooked celery. Raw, it's not bad. But cooked, it's just terrible. 
  • Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

• Invisible Walls EVERYWHERE, the world looks beautiful and inviting, I was having a nerdgasm until I actually tried to go anywhere. If you like a wide open world to explore steer clear. I disagree, there are only invisible walls where you are not supposed to go / where they want you to take a certain path.  You are exaggerating.
    • Combat is soooo boring, its WoW but with shared cooldowns.  You mean the Global Cooldown?  The thing that WoW also has?  Yep check another box on the "doesn't know what hes talking about" list for you sir.
    • Map System is badly done.  Oh really?  how so?  The map functions perfectly, far better than any other game I've used a map or map mod in. 
    • Every area is zoned, even your starting city is broken up in zones.  Yep, like every game these days pretty much, its to allow lower end machines to run their game.
    • The quest are your basic go there kill these mobs....like squirrels, no seriously you have to kill squirrels, and all of the mobs you need to kill are in a neat little pile, just standing there.  Yes, SOME quests are like that, you must not have played very many quests, but you already demonstrated a few times you didn't play long so I'm not suprised.

Seems like OP doesn't know a thing about MMOs :-(

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67

I have the inexplicable urge to say cool story bro.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by MagKiln
    Nicely said OP. I enjoyed FFXI, I just don't see this working out for me either.

I think the  original Final Fantasy XIV was better then this game.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    So OP comes to this forum with legit complaints and he gets flamed for it. Good to see blind love for an IP outweighs desire for something mildly different. Havent you all been playing this game for 9 years?

A few good posters come to this ff area the rest lash out at people for saying anything slightly critical. How can a game that does nothing different inspire such rabid love?
  • aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

Unlike so many of my "fine" ARR supporters, thank you for your opinion OP.  This is actually a really good post for those who really support ARR and want it to succeed.

As OP stated, this game is NOT for everyone.  Its that simple.  As a community do you really want people to buy this game because blind fanboys praised it to no end, then hate on it and spread negativity (whether true or false) and hinder its progress?  I'd rather the community be like its producer Yoshi-P; transparent.  Acknowledge ARR's faults and how it won't appeal to everyone.  Its not supposed to.  You want it to be a niche, a game just for you.  So thank OP and hopefully those that don't find it to their liking will just avoid it and save their money rather than having buyers remorse.

• MagKilnMagKiln Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by aionix

Unlike so many of my "fine" ARR supporters, thank you for your opinion OP.  This is actually a really good post for those who really support ARR and want it to succeed.

As OP stated, this game is NOT for everyone.  Its that simple.  As a community do you really want people to buy this game because blind fanboys praised it to no end, then hate on it and spread negativity (whether true or false) and hinder its progress?  I'd rather the community be like its producer Yoshi-P; transparent.  Acknowledge ARR's faults and how it won't appeal to everyone.  Its not supposed to.  You want it to be a niche, a game just for you.  So thank OP and hopefully those that don't find it to their liking will just avoid it and save their money rather than having buyers remorse.

This Exactly, I don't see buying it out the door on release.....will I reconsider it later...maybe hard to tell.  Games change, people change, so I stay open minded. Now with that said I don't see this game ever appealing to me personally. But my opinion and the OP's opinions are just that. Just as like minded people want to discuss the awesomeness of this game so do the "I don't like it people"  I at least felt that the OP was honest and gave his feelings of what he observed, which may not be what everyone else observed.

Late

Most all negative feedback presented in an adequate way is actually beneficial to a game as it keeps people's expectations real.  It may cause one to go in not expecting much, but end up finding that something is a jewel if kept with it long enough.  Though if it has too much hype, then people become hyper aware of it's faults and tend to cite things such as "hand holding" and level 1-3 quests as reasons to quit (who knows?  To some those may be the most important parts of an MMO, but if that's the only bad feedback they have, then it seems to be more in support of a game being good as there are other faults in games that are much worse).

Though a negative post should not be given a pass simply because it is beneficial to the whole.  All people should be allowed to point out flaws in statements, as we want a accurate representation and a strong negative feedback rather than one that just cites weak examples.  In these cases I would prefer strong citations of weaknesses rather than ones that could be torn apart; the initial impressions of one could be valuable, but we've seen quite a bit of it already and just about anyone will be able to test it out for themselves come Open Beta as it is.  I'm most interested in hearing the faults of a game from those who spent hundreds of hours playing it, though at the same time I feel that such feedback would be better served on the beta forums.  Though again, even something that has had much discussion is useful as there may be people who have yet to read about something that may in fact be a problem for them as well.

A lot of samples of the OP were fair opinions, some were arguable to a degree, and two in particular were kind've off when it comes to the reality of the situation (though one was corrected through edits since then).  Supporting opinions must be tempered with a sharp mind and inquisitive nature to really get down to the nitty gritty of the situation.   Most responses I saw had this, save for the ones who simply say "I don't care what you think".  Though I think those are the ones you were referring to when writing.

:3

• rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117
    I just wanted to post and say thank you for a well constructed post. Although we have differing opinions about the game, it is nice to see person who forms their opinions in a coherent and respectable way.  Props to you, and I hope you find the game you are looking for.
  • Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Another title I won't get, I've read enough on this to know it's a WOW clone or at least it follows the standard MMO mold and I can play 50 other titles(most for free) and get the same experience.  It's unfortunate that this was the best they could do on a second launch.  /yawn
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    Another title I won't get, I've read enough on this to know it's a WOW clone or at least it follows the standard MMO mold and I can play 50 other titles(most for free) and get the same experience.  It's unfortunate that this was the best they could do on a second launch.  /yawn

An experience isn't reducible to mechanics. The game is similar mechanically to WoW, yes. But that's not why everyone who has taken interest in the game did so. If you were interested in finding out what the total experience might be like, I'd recommend playing open beta, not just reading about it.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    So OP comes to this forum with legit complaints and he gets flamed for it. Good to see blind love for an IP outweighs desire for something mildly different. Havent you all been playing this game for 9 years? A few good posters come to this ff area the rest lash out at people for saying anything slightly critical. How can a game that does nothing different inspire such rabid love?

Its them FF white knights they cant handle it when someone doesnt like their franchise, these people are so blinded that if you shit in a bucket say its FF candy they eat it and say its the best they ever had.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.