Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone heard of Greed Monger?

PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

I haven't seen anyone talking about this and I even searched to find 0 Results. This game sounds like it could be a blast and what everyone in the sandbox genre is looking for. I mean you buy land and everything else is player made. Literally everything.

Comments

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Oh geez what did I do?

I just saw it on YouTube searching for Top Sandboxes.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Let's just say you missed a whole lot of drama, i have to be careful though or i might get sued haha.
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

OP, you'll find all you need in this thread.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/381071/page/1

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Oh geez what did I do?

I just saw it on YouTube searching for Top Sandboxes.

Mr Boss Man threatened to sue mmorpg.com unless they only talked 100% positive about his game.  They removed the game from the website after that..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    We don't talk about that in these parts.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Grakulen

That there man is correct ;)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    I see.... thanks for the info. Wonder why that thread didn't pop up on the search.
  • BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Wonder why that thread didn't pop up on the search.

That's because the search is broken. "PvP" only brings up one result =)

• JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595

I haven't seen anyone talking about this and I even searched to find 0 Results. This game sounds like it could be a blast and what everyone in the sandbox genre is looking for. I mean you buy land and everything else is player made. Literally everything.

Hello there... I'm James Proctor the lead Programmer/Team Lead for Greed Monger. In the early going we were provoked and made some poor choices as a result. We are a small Indie team Learning the ropes of PR as we go and in recent months we have made some huge strides in the right direction. 

From a Development stand point we are working very hard to get our Alpha ready for launch and If your fan of Sandbox games I would encourage you to stay up to date on our Progress. You have nothing to loose by doing that much! I really hope to see you in game some day and thanks for your interest in GM!

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Sandbox + any mention of pvp invokes extreme whining and nerd rage in these parts. You've been warned lol.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Originally posted by JamesP
    Hello there... I'm James Proctor the lead Programmer/Team Lead for Greed Monger. In the early going we were provoked and made some poor choices as a result. We are a small Indie team Learning the ropes of PR as we go and in recent months we have made some huge strides in the right direction. From a Development stand point we are working very hard to get our Alpha ready for launch and If your fan of Sandbox games I would encourage you to stay up to date on our Progress. You have nothing to loose by doing that much! I really hope to see you in game some day and thanks for your interest in GM!

This is concerning. The 'lead programmer' states that he is 'very hard at work' to get this game ready for an alpha launch. But he has time to continually find these forum posts soon after they are posted and respond, reply, defend, and hype the game.

Is is just me or am I the only one that thinks this is odd and that perhaps if you were so 'hard at work' on the game - you wouldn't have time to search so often for posts about your game and respond/reply/defend it ??

Oh also James... While we have nothing to 'loose', perhaps you should worry about 'tightening' up your time spent on the game more and also on your spelling. I mean I wouldn't want you to 'loose' any potential customers! :-)

- Zaxx

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by zaxtor99

This is concerning. The 'lead programmer' states that he is 'very hard at work' to get this game ready for an alpha launch. But he has time to continually find these forum posts soon after they are posted and respond, reply, defend, and hype the game.

Is is just me or am I the only one that thinks this is odd and that perhaps if you were so 'hard at work' on the game - you wouldn't have time to search so often for posts about your game and respond/reply/defend it ??

Oh also James... While we have nothing to 'loose', perhaps you should worry about 'tightening' up your time spent on the game more and also on your spelling. I mean I wouldn't want you to 'loose' any potential customers! :-)

- Zaxx

they probably run a program that searches out any time greed monger is used together. I've seen weird diet videos do something like it. Any site no matter how obscure, that said the diet was a scam had the same person show up and post the same form letter response.

Not saying this games a scam and he's obviously just defending his work, just weird how fast they always show up. This site should really just enforce their decision to have nothing about the game on it. It's probably better for both sides.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

a lot of the guys making Greed Monger have been long time MMO posters, just cause hes a lead programmer, doesnt mean he cant follow threads in his spare time.  Someone else at the company may have said something to him, so he came in to give a response, dont jump down his throat.  

James Proctor is not Jason Appleton, he has done a ton of damage control caused by the latter, and I have seen zero negative remarks surrounding him.

Fair enough... BUT......

Mr James P -

Might I make a suggestion that would do MUCH more for the doubt and speculation concerning your current MMO project?

How about some links showing us what YOU yourself have programmed?

I mean surely if you are the lead programmer for such an ambitious mmo like Greed Monger... surely you have at least made like a finished working version of a snake game, perhaps a pong game, maybe a 'go fish' card playing game? Something at least.

I don't want to see some link for some program that you and 32 other people made. I want to see links and games that just YOU and YOU ALONE have to show your game making and programming skills.

Actually, you know what? Show us ANYTHING you have programmed before this Greed Monger that might vanquish the doubts out there that you don't have the experience needed to make such a lofty mmo.

Just sayin'...

Providing us such evidence of your skills would likely do MUCH more for the doubt against Greed Monger then you just posting blatant, incoherent babble defending Greed Monger. I can babble on and on and hype up how great my 77 Ford Pinto is, but providing videos, pictures and evidence that support it would do much more then mere words.

- Zaxx

I have a few Forums I keep up to date with and I take part in just because of the Huge fan of MMOs that I am. If I happen to see something related to Greed Monger as I'm looking through posts then of course I respond. I've been a semi active member of MMORPG.com for several years now. Just because I'm now the Lead Programmer for a MMO doesn't change anything it just means I'm that much more invested in the genera we are ALL here to discuss. 

I have programmed alot of small demos. My main love though have always been MMOs. I've worked on building MMO Engines, and proof of concept Prototypes but when it came down to it I personally never had the money to back my vision. Which is where Greed Monger comes in. Back in October of 2012 I was doing some small MMO Prototyping using Unity3D and as I was looking around on their forums I spotted a post by Jason talking about Greed Monger. I did some investigating at that time and saw how close my vision was to what Jason wanted to accomplish with Greed Monger so I sent him a message. We started talking and I joined his team. Our Vision combined with his money and our fund raising efforts will see this vision of ours come to life. 

The Majority of the Demos I have done was with a Older version of Unity3D and I no longer have access to their source code. However I do have some Video showcasing one of the Game Concepts I did in Unity3D and some stuff I did in the Hero Engine. I'm not a 3d modeler though so the assets are what we call Programmers art another words the assets suck! lol

The first video is a Space Invaders style game with multiple levels, power ups which increase the amount of firepower you have. I had alot of great ideas for the game like ship upgrades in between levels and things like that. It never went past the Prototype stage however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ali4KitvN3g

Here's the link to a version of this game you can play on Facebook: It doesn't work using Chrome but should work using IE or Firefox.

https://apps.facebook.com/earthdefense/?fb_source=bookmark_apps&ref=bookmarks&count=0&fb_bmpos=7_0

This next one is a Video showing some work I did in the HeroEngine. It's the start of my Quest and Dialog Systems which I currently have live in my Hero Engine world right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE3wexnpQYU

This last video is another video of my HeroEngine quest and Dialog system this time though in a real work environment. Here I run around and talk to the NPCs, Then I go and accept a quest from one of them, I then go and complete the quest then turn it in. The Combat in this video is default HeroEngine combat. However how NPCs and Mobs are handled are completely custom coded by me. The Quest and Dialog systems are also completely 100% coded by me. The Quest system currently can handle Kill Quests, Report to Quests, and Dialog Quests though in the video I only show case Kill Quests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtUaaaC0J9c

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

Hello there... I'm James Proctor the lead Programmer/Team Lead for Greed Monger. In the early going we were provoked and made some poor choices as a result. We are a small Indie team Learning the ropes of PR as we go and in recent months we have made some huge strides in the right direction. 

From a Development stand point we are working very hard to get our Alpha ready for launch and If your fan of Sandbox games I would encourage you to stay up to date on our Progress. You have nothing to loose by doing that much! I really hope to see you in game some day and thanks for your interest in GM!

James,  

As a fellow indie game maker, I wish you lots of luck and success with your game project and PR.

-WL

• MogusMogus Member Posts: 169

OP,

I'm the guy everyone loves to hate. I got pretty aggressive early on because we spent a lot of time combating crusades against us for no other reason than having a successful Kickstarter campaign and with my not being a developer myself, it ticked a few people off who have tried getting there own campaigns funded in the past without much luck and they have much more development experience than I do. Coming from a fight promoters background and into the much more sensitive arena of game development where everything is public from jump street and the anonyminity of the interwebs, and well, honestly, I spent a lot of time swatting tomatoes.

I tried making myself available constantly through out the early part of our development to answer questions and do what I could to engage the gaming community but everything turned into flame wars and trolling so we decided to stay off of forums for the most part and let the game speak for itself as it comes together.

Let's face facts. There are people from all walks of life of who love or hate me or Greed Monger. I'm just not the right guy to field the hate part of it.

Now James hasn't been the only programmer working on the game. He is the Lead Programmer which in our team means, he helps me interview others on their skills sets, goes through the work of other developers as they submit new systems to be implemented into the client and ultimately implements them into the client before demonstrating them to me.

James is a very religious, honest and loyal guy. Through all of the mucky muck we have been through since November, James has stood by me and told me "I'm not going anywhere until we have achieved our goals", and he's stood by that. We've had our ups, downs, delays and problems like any team would but we are still going strong and things are really starting to come together in a big way.

We are very late in our delivery of Greed Monger's Alpha testing which we are very well aware, however, the scope of Greed Monger has grown significantly since the launch of our KS campaign as well. Originally, the games concept was to be more like Salem meets Ultima Online. Since then, we have added a lot of new ideas and systems into the game that were never originally part of the plan. The good news in that is, the game will be better for it. The bad news is, by adding these new ideas and systems (some for current use, others for use in future plannings), we have added more work to our already extensive list of tasks to be completed thus resulting in extended delays. The fact is, we decided that those who have contributed financially to the game deserve everything we can offer them, even if it means taking longer. Most everyones investment into Greed Monger to date rely on our ability to launch a game capable of drawing in a large number of players that will establish a strong demand for the property in the game thus resulting in a return on investment. Hypothetically, really, if it took 2 years from the time of initial investment into Greed Monger to double or triple your investment, wouldn't that be better than seeing a break even immediately?

I know what many of you will say after my saying this. "Look at him, a real Greed Monger, all about the money and not the game, etc etc." the fact is, the very nature of this game and those who are supporting it would be served less if I weren't in tune with such financial expectations. People didn't buy entire islands just to be a great player in Greed Monger, so there is that expectation to get a return on such an investment.

The land system and parcel system etc are already established and have been for a while in terms of scope and what we are looking to accomplish with is. The way the game plays, how you create your characters, customization, what all is involved as options for combat , quests, how those quests work and what purposes they serve, etc etc, are all parts of the total equation that has grown in terms of what we can and should do for the game prior to testing.

In summary, everyone who has been working on Greed Monger has done so for a fraction of the pay they may otherwise be getting from a major studio for the same effort. Everyone who has spent time in developing for Greed Monger (with the exception of one dev early on who really was expensive but worth it) is a part of the project for the same reason so many have contributed to it financially. The fact is, once Greed Monger is ready, we will have developed a game for under $150,000 that anyone else wouldn't be able to do with a much larger budget and it's because those who work on Greed Monger, care about Greed Monger and it's success.

I'm going to run out of here now before everything I just said gets picked apart, twisted and misquoted all over the place but know this, regardless of the backlash, the accusations, the crusades against me and or the game, we are still gamers who are creating a game for everyone who loves the genre and fell in love with MMO's not for the big budgets quoted in press releases, but for the experience and acheivements one has grown to expect from their efforts in early MMO's that stole our hearts and time. We are here to provide something that even those who have fought us day and night since it's inception will enjoy and feel strongly that regardless of what you feel about me, or what you thought about our progress early on, you too will enjoy the game and appreciate what we have accomplished and in time, all of this naysayer nonsense will be ancient history.

Time will tell. Back to work for me.

Good afternoon.

www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Every game has it's haters. I think most people are just bitter because people always talk about how great a game is going to be and then come launch day it's just another lame copy of everything else.

I don't really care if you guys ever make a game or not but come the day you launch nothing you said about it is going to matter, and nothing anyone else said is going to matter. What people see is going to be what matters. If you make your awesome sandbox, people will love it. Worm online and every game like it has shown that graphics isn't everything to sandbox lovers, it's all about game play.

I've seen your youtube clips on the game, and I know it's not for me but if it has what you say it will have it's going to have a good sized following. Getting hated on is a hard pill to swallow but it's kind of been proven that all you can do is ignore it and keep working. There's no way to make it stop other then launching the game they said you couldn't make.

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by Mogus

OP,

I'm the guy everyone loves to hate. I got pretty aggressive early on because we spent a lot of time combating crusades against us for no other reason than having a successful Kickstarter campaign and with my not being a developer myself, it ticked a few people off who have tried getting there own campaigns funded in the past without much luck and they have much more development experience than I do. Coming from a fight promoters background and into the much more sensitive arena of game development where everything is public from jump street and the anonyminity of the interwebs, and well, honestly, I spent a lot of time swatting tomatoes.

I tried making myself available constantly through out the early part of our development to answer questions and do what I could to engage the gaming community but everything turned into flame wars and trolling so we decided to stay off of forums for the most part and let the game speak for itself as it comes together.

Let's face facts. There are people from all walks of life of who love or hate me or Greed Monger. I'm just not the right guy to field the hate part of it.

Now James hasn't been the only programmer working on the game. He is the Lead Programmer which in our team means, he helps me interview others on their skills sets, goes through the work of other developers as they submit new systems to be implemented into the client and ultimately implements them into the client before demonstrating them to me.

James is a very religious, honest and loyal guy. Through all of the mucky muck we have been through since November, James has stood by me and told me "I'm not going anywhere until we have achieved our goals", and he's stood by that. We've had our ups, downs, delays and problems like any team would but we are still going strong and things are really starting to come together in a big way.

We are very late in our delivery of Greed Monger's Alpha testing which we are very well aware, however, the scope of Greed Monger has grown significantly since the launch of our KS campaign as well. Originally, the games concept was to be more like Salem meets Ultima Online. Since then, we have added a lot of new ideas and systems into the game that were never originally part of the plan. The good news in that is, the game will be better for it. The bad news is, by adding these new ideas and systems (some for current use, others for use in future plannings), we have added more work to our already extensive list of tasks to be completed thus resulting in extended delays. The fact is, we decided that those who have contributed financially to the game deserve everything we can offer them, even if it means taking longer. Most everyones investment into Greed Monger to date rely on our ability to launch a game capable of drawing in a large number of players that will establish a strong demand for the property in the game thus resulting in a return on investment. Hypothetically, really, if it took 2 years from the time of initial investment into Greed Monger to double or triple your investment, wouldn't that be better than seeing a break even immediately?

I know what many of you will say after my saying this. "Look at him, a real Greed Monger, all about the money and not the game, etc etc." the fact is, the very nature of this game and those who are supporting it would be served less if I weren't in tune with such financial expectations. People didn't buy entire islands just to be a great player in Greed Monger, so there is that expectation to get a return on such an investment.

The land system and parcel system etc are already established and have been for a while in terms of scope and what we are looking to accomplish with is. The way the game plays, how you create your characters, customization, what all is involved as options for combat , quests, how those quests work and what purposes they serve, etc etc, are all parts of the total equation that has grown in terms of what we can and should do for the game prior to testing.

In summary, everyone who has been working on Greed Monger has done so for a fraction of the pay they may otherwise be getting from a major studio for the same effort. Everyone who has spent time in developing for Greed Monger (with the exception of one dev early on who really was expensive but worth it) is a part of the project for the same reason so many have contributed to it financially. The fact is, once Greed Monger is ready, we will have developed a game for under $150,000 that anyone else wouldn't be able to do with a much larger budget and it's because those who work on Greed Monger, care about Greed Monger and it's success.

I'm going to run out of here now before everything I just said gets picked apart, twisted and misquoted all over the place but know this, regardless of the backlash, the accusations, the crusades against me and or the game, we are still gamers who are creating a game for everyone who loves the genre and fell in love with MMO's not for the big budgets quoted in press releases, but for the experience and acheivements one has grown to expect from their efforts in early MMO's that stole our hearts and time. We are here to provide something that even those who have fought us day and night since it's inception will enjoy and feel strongly that regardless of what you feel about me, or what you thought about our progress early on, you too will enjoy the game and appreciate what we have accomplished and in time, all of this naysayer nonsense will be ancient history.

Time will tell. Back to work for me.

Good afternoon.

Mogus, I want to encourage you to ignore the nay-sayers, and just focus on making an amazing game.

Since this is probably your first online game(correct me if i'm wrong),  I assure you will face a lot of negative (as well as some positive that will be drowned out) criticism After the game opens and years later during sustainment.  I'm hoping you just plan on that.

Ultimately, making a successful game is the best response.

-WL

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

WE need to go ahead and lock this thread down again before it gets out of hand like the last time. 

Originally posted by erictlewis

WE need to go ahead and lock this thread down again before it gets out of hand like the last time. 

I'm hoping things won't get out of hand... We could use some feedback. And yes we will get some people talking badly about the game which is to be expected. In those cases we will have to think long and hard to see if there is any truth to what they are saying and make changes if needed. I would rather have people discussing the game so we can learn from what people are saying then just have the threads locked just because things COULD get out of hand.

One things you guys won't find from us though this time around is us responding back to the negative unless we are trying to see why people feel the way they do so we can see what we can take away from the discussion. But you won't find any lawsuit threats or anything of that nature from us and that's a Promise!

I'm really interested in hearing what people think about our concepts and everythings.

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

Originally posted by erictlewis

I disagree.

Until the thread starts becoming 'out of hand' - Why on earth should they lock it up? There is no forum for Greed Monger here, and without these kinds of threads, there really isn't a way for players to discuss it or find out more about it. We've already seen the Lead programmer the the main man himself post information about it, so it's obvious they have input they would like to make public here as well.

Locking a thread up just because 'you think it might get out of hand at some point' is kinda like putting cuffs on a guy because you see him headed towards a bank and he LOOKS like a thug because he as a wool cap on.

Once the thread gets out of control and is nothing but trolling and flaming etc, sure - lock it up. Until that time, let it go and be a place for people to talk about the game here.

Just my opinion, anyhow.

..Oh and thanks James for your links which I asked for, that does give me much more insight into your skills and experience. :-)

I want to wish your guys luck with your Greed Monger mmo, and hope it ends up being a success for you. I know that making such a game is an insanely grueling and huge project which requires thousands of hours of hard work. Keep your faith and don't let anyone anywhere get you down. Doubters (like me) have just seen this kind of project and promises made many times before and have seen where it typically ends up. You cannot let the experiences of past failed projects in doubters minds lead you astray. Don't give up, keep your faith and goals well in mind and focus on making your game a success! Your faith, dedication, and belief that you 'can do it' can move mountains! Never say 'die'!!

- Zaxx

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by zaxtor99

- Zaxx

Your post is one of the reasons why we avoid talking about GM here. Even with all the past drama, there was no reason for your passive aggressive trolling. Someone asked a question, and he posted - rather humbly, I might add - a response.

It's as if once you guys pick up your pitchforks and torches they become crazyglued to your hands.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    It's a game in development, so the topic is relevant. However, the other one was locked because it was necroed with a rant., not because fo the topic. We'll keep an eye on this and deal with things if they get out of hand.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I'm hoping things won't get out of hand... We could use some feedback. And yes we will get some people talking badly about the game which is to be expected. In those cases we will have to think long and hard to see if there is any truth to what they are saying and make changes if needed. I would rather have people discussing the game so we can learn from what people are saying then just have the threads locked just because things COULD get out of hand.

Wait .. then why did you guys asked to remove the forum from this site? I thought you are not interested in hearing anything negative.