Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] ArcheAge: Music, Arts, and... Swimsuits?

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by mcrippins
    Originally posted by LlexX

Some players just can't handle the sandbox elements and the freedom...

But no worries, there are tons of WoW clones for them out there. bye.

OR....

They like sandbox elements but want the creativity to fit the world they are in.

crazy right!?

Actually yeah that does sound crazy. Glad we didn't follow your line of thinking in the real world. We'd be stuck in the stone ages.

So "like", in he renaissance there was hip hop music and Wendy's restaurants?

or during the rococo period with your girl in her bee hive hairdo and poodle skirt, sitting in your cherry drag racer at the drive-in  while making with the back street bingo? (edited for more swank!)

or did you just not understand?

No.. my point is that if we had followed your line of thinking, we'd still be in the renaissance and you wouldn't be able to hear hip-hop music, or go to a Wendy's restaurant.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Oh short sighted friends.. For those of you posting about immersion breaking due to people's creativity - may not find the sandbox to be the best place. Sandboxes are meant to inspire creativity, allow the players to control the world, and give them the utilities to build whatever it is they choose to build. 

creativity is fine. I'm all for creativity. My degree as well as my next degree are in "creativity"

But there is a difference in being "creative" and throwing in everything but the kitchen sink. I'd suggest some books on the creative process, aesthetics and the idea that rules actually are freeing but I wonder if you would bother to read them.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

No.. my point is that if we had followed your line of thinking, we'd still be in the renaissance and you wouldn't be able to hear hip-hop music, or go to a Wendy's restaurant.

There is a difference between taking a current era's aesthetics, seeing how the new generations feed off that, moving from simple to complex works and then having reactions to the extreme complexity only to then  dip back into simplicity and having a castle with armored warriors with their 1930's racer parked outside while they get their "Starbucks".

there is a reason there is the word "Anachronism".

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417
    I hate to say it, but my interest in AA is starting to wane. I'll still probably check it out when it gets here though.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108
    So funny reading some of these sandbox fan boys cry about these sandbox elements. DO YOU REALLY LIKE MMO'S ANYMORE? if you need to live in a second world, go play skyrim, thats as close as you'll ever, or maybe eqn won't suck, but I doubt anyone on this site will go for how much pvp they are planning......
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Some players just can't handle the sandbox elements and the freedom... But no worries, there are tons of WoW clones for them out there. bye.

OR....

They like sandbox elements but want the creativity to fit the world they are in.

crazy right!?

And Archeage has plenty of that as well, in fact it has more than just about any western mmo out today if not all of them. Don't like these features then you won't have to participate in them if Trion World's introduce them.

Crazy right?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

There is a difference between taking a current era's aesthetics, seeing how the new generations feed off that, moving from simple to complex works and then having reactions to the extreme complexity only to then  dip back into simplicity and having a castle with armored warriors with their 1930's racer parked outside while they get their "Starbucks".

there is a reason there is the word "Anachronism".

Classic discussion that used to always take place in RP forums.

Do you paint within the lines of the lore, or go outside the box?

You're always going to find an even split. There is no right answer.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

The game looks like a aesthetic mess. To make it clear to those that don't seem to get it, imagine watching Game of thrones when Ned Stark is chatting to Jon Snow about honor and duty all dressed up in their medieval finery, when Jamie Lannister walks by wearing speedos and sipping from a can of coke.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

Oh short sighted friends.. For those of you posting about immersion breaking due to people's creativity - may not find the sandbox to be the best place. Sandboxes are meant to inspire creativity, allow the players to control the world, and give them the utilities to build whatever it is they choose to build. 

Unless you're some kind of hardcore RP'er which most of you aren't, then you really have zero room to complain. First off, you haven't even played this game. You saw a couple of screenshots or a video and instantly judged it as if you've earned the right. You haven't. Shut up. There are a billion and one games out there that do not inspire any sort of creativity and will not break your precious 'theme' (which you never cared about before until someone else mentioned it). So please just leave these games to the people that really, really want them, and don't go yelling in our forums to make changes that already exist in other, lesser, games.

Many of us have seen more than a few screenshots. I myself have been following the game watching the videos , reading the forums and coverage.I was pleased that Trion received distribution rights. I like to occasionally RP  even if it is a small amount. I never considered that I'd need to have a pepsi machine in game or walk around in a bikini or shorts.( at least make them fit the theme..next they'll add retro parachute pants) among other ridiculous things that MAY be added to the western version. You tell us to shut up and not judge the game then judge us by declaring we never cared about immersion in the games theme until someone else mentioned it. I call bullshit. It's when the developers mentioned it perhaps..that is when I made a judgement...and I have every right  as does everyone else because we all are the ones that might put money into this game. I don't see how bikinis and racecars inspire creativity...you don't need that shit for RP...just a well rounded world preferably with many sandbox qualities and a decent theme.

Originally posted by Arakazi

The game looks like a aesthetic mess. To make it clear to those that don't seem to get it, imagine watching Game of thrones when Ned Stark is chatting to Jon Snow about honor and duty all dressed up in their medieval finery, when Jamie Lannister walks by wearing speedos and sipping from a can of coke.

Good books but I prefer The Farseer Troilgy myself. That patience can really try your patience, I always found using your wits against him to be the best advice.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

For all of you proponents of allowing "freedom" with the sandbox elements in what's thought to be a fantasy-style game - how long will you stay in the game after all the corporations find out they can make an account and get advertising for next to nothing?  Seeing nothing but corporate signs all over your beloved sandbox?

Think about it.  It'll suck the mmo right out of you.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

For all of you proponents of allowing "freedom" with the sandbox elements in what's thought to be a fantasy-style game - how long will you stay in the game after all the corporations find out they can make an account and get advertising for next to nothing?  Seeing nothing but corporate signs all over your beloved sandbox?

Think about it.  It'll suck the mmo right out of you.

The devs will establish the "edges" of their universe, by what they choose to include (or not) in it.

The players will push against those edges, demanding freedoms (that in some cases, like the first amendment, ultimately have limits).

Emergent Gameplay--but yes, it will very quickly become apparent if the company has any principles and standards, or not.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Good books but I prefer The Farseer Troilgy myself. That patience can really try your patience, I always found using your wits against him to be the best advice.

Damn, that last book had me in a cloud of depression for days after I finished it. The Liveship wasn't such a happy trilogy either. The tawny man was the best written of the series, but a little on the slow side, plus the ending was a bit of a cop out.

OR....

crazy right!?

And Archeage has plenty of that as well, in fact it has more than just about any western mmo out today if not all of them. Don't like these features then you won't have to participate in them if Trion World's introduce them. Crazy right?

Not at all and I completely agree. Still doesn't mean I can't engage in a discussion about aesthetics and whether or not there should be limits on player creativity or how player creativity can actually be encouraged to not only add items that add value to the world and the players but also help support a certain aesthetic, heck maybe even help us expand our knowledge of more than just "pop culture".

Or should we just go back to sandbox vs themepark and whether or not harsh death penalties are needed? Those are always good.

His response was "if you don't like this then you can always indulge in wow".

I find that remark, in the very least dismissive and completely missing the point. As if those are our choices and anything else just not on the table for discussion.

or maybe you agree with him and it's this or WoW and themepark? if so then just say it.

Damn, that last book had me in a cloud of depression for days after I finished it. The Liveship wasn't such a happy trilogy either. The tawny man was the best written of the series, but a little on the slow side, plus the ending was a bit of a cop out.

Hehe, a cloud of desperation is a fair description.

OR....

crazy right!?

And Archeage has plenty of that as well, in fact it has more than just about any western mmo out today if not all of them. Don't like these features then you won't have to participate in them if Trion World's introduce them. Crazy right?

Not at all and I completely agree. Still doesn't mean I can't engage in a discussion about aesthetics and whether or not there should be limits on player creativity or how player creativity can actually be encouraged to not only add items that add value to the world and the players but also help support a certain aesthetic, heck maybe even help us expand our knowledge of more than just "pop culture".

Or should we just go back to sandbox vs themepark and whether or not harsh death penalties are needed? Those are always good.

His response was "if you don't like this then you can always indulge in wow".

I find that remark, in the very least dismissive and completely missing the point. As if those are our choices and anything else just not on the table for discussion.

or maybe you agree with him and it's this or WoW and themepark? if so then just say it.

I take your meaning about the WOW comment. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

You know i actually have no problem with all the off beat ideas AA are bringing to their game.IMO they are at least TRYING to do more and something a little different.I will never have a problem with any developer trying to do more,so i give them some credit.

Would be nicer though if some of the female artists show cased their swim suits in real :P.I don't even care the body type all women are gorgeous :D.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198

Your one of those guys that wants to make boobs and wee wee's out of terrain and doesn't understand how important immersion is to someone, this has nothing to do with sandbox verses a themepark like Wow  but I'm sure its the only argument you have.

Blaa blaa blaa go back to wow man, there, didn't I sound cool?

This is a statement about immersion and how important it is to some people regardless of game model, themepark or sandbox.

I like a sandbox probably more than the next game, but more so, I desire constancy in game design and art style.   At this point it looks like they are trying to hard, and its starting to look like a pig with lipstick.

I take your meaning about the WOW comment. 

Thank you sir! That's all I was saying.

Look, I'm not "morally" opposed to this or any game adding kitschy elements as a matter of course. I mean, I have a "bad" movie night every Thursday night where we solely watch late 60's, 70's and early 80's movies. And though there is an air of "Mystery Science Theater" to the whole affair, one can enjoy them on a certain level.

Heck, I own the complete series of "Cleopatra 2525" so no finger pointing can I be doing.

However, this is one of the few games being released with very expansive themepark elements that are very engaging. This whole music and art thing is intriguing, no argument from me.

But when I see where it can go, the complete inundation of pop culture and the clash of various eras/aesthetics, it does start one wondering if it is supposed to be like a Second Life but only in one complete world or if it's just "let's throw everything in but the kitchen sink".

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by SoulStain

Unless you're some kind of hardcore RP'er which most of you aren't, then you really have zero room to complain. First off, you haven't even played this game. You saw a couple of screenshots or a video and instantly judged it as if you've earned the right. You haven't. Shut up. There are a billion and one games out there that do not inspire any sort of creativity and will not break your precious 'theme' (which you never cared about before until someone else mentioned it). So please just leave these games to the people that really, really want them, and don't go yelling in our forums to make changes that already exist in other, lesser, games.

Many of us have seen more than a few screenshots. I myself have been following the game watching the videos , reading the forums and coverage.I was pleased that Trion received distribution rights. I like to occasionally RP  even if it is a small amount. I never considered that I'd need to have a pepsi machine in game or walk around in a bikini or shorts.( at least make them fit the theme..next they'll add retro parachute pants) among other ridiculous things that MAY be added to the western version. You tell us to shut up and not judge the game then judge us by declaring we never cared about immersion in the games theme until someone else mentioned it. I call bullshit. It's when the developers mentioned it perhaps..that is when I made a judgement...and I have every right  as does everyone else because we all are the ones that might put money into this game. I don't see how bikinis and racecars inspire creativity...you don't need that shit for RP...just a well rounded world preferably with many sandbox qualities and a decent theme.

If you're a role player in the least, then what I said does not apply to you. Being an RPer is all about immersion, and I won't try to take that away from you. Also, I'm pretty sure this game is being labeled as steam punk and not fantasy. That being said, the game you want is not a pure sandbox style game. It's a hybrid. No good ones really exist at the moment, but they will. So be patient. My problem is with the people that whine and complain, and have zero experience playing the game. Even this game is going to be a hybrid. It's not a pure sandbox.. but the tools they are giving you are better than most to inspire creativity. The more people complain about these things, the lesser the chance we'll have them. If you don't like something, move along. There are plenty of other games that will do their best not to break your immersion. If that's even possible.

Think about it. Anything can break your immersion. Someone walking into your room. Phone ringing. Facebook notification. Along with a million other things. 

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Too bad Archeage is headed downhill before it is even released in the West.  Pepsi machines, cars, bikinis, Casinos - basically a mishmash that makes no sense.  Machine guns, laser beams and frisbees can't be far off...
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

A bunch of different genres mashed together, Asian grind stuff, bizarre Korean pop art things at every turn.......no thanks, I wait for EQ Next.  Something more tuned to a western audience.

if you dont like eastern themed games that is totally fine. Nothing to discuss there.

But aside from that, saying " oh, i wont play this game because its not tuned to a western audience" is beyond me. I dont play what the western audience plays. I play what i enjoy, no matter where it came from or what audience they wanted to appeal to.

Again, if you dont like eastern games that is ok. Im Just pointing out that limiting yourself to western games just because youre from the west kinda sucks (at least to me) unless thats what you like, of course then its all good.

My thoughts.

EDIT: i think i should be more specific, theres nothing wrong with prefering games form one region specifically, but the specific reason that just because it isnt from the west i wont play it, sounds kind of weird.

• MegatronicMegatronic Member Posts: 35
    You guys QQ about everything.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    All the non in game world relevant stuff breaks immersion for me though, personally. Running up to someones house in a High Fantasy world and seeing a pepsi machine and Scooby Doo paintings on the wall is a little disrupting.

Maybe it is just not a high fantasy world.

• MegatronicMegatronic Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    After seeing the cars and submarines, stupid clothes and "art" and finding out the game is about as "sandbox" as Pac-Man, there's no way I'll waste any more time on this title. Which is a shame, as it was one of the few in a long time I was looking forward to.

How are you wasting time on a mmo that isn't even out yet?