Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Six Most Addictive Games of All Time

Comments

• DarkalloyDarkalloy Member UncommonPosts: 26

For me the six most addictive games are:

• Lemmings: "Oh No!" *POP*
    • Minecraft: "I spent how long leveling out that hill?"
    • Dungeon Keeper 2: Slap Slap Slap Slap Slap
    • Duck Hunt: "Die you evil dog! Die!"
    • Galactc Civilizations 2: "I just spent six hours customizing my scout ship and it looks awesome."
    • The Elder Scrolls: Can't really just put one here I'm addicted to them all equally. Now time for character number 641.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Street Fighter 2 The World Warrior (arcade version)

Dune 2

Diablo

Eve Online

Castlevania

Super Sprint (arcade version)

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

FOR ME...the single most addictive game was....DAOC.

nothing else even close

• RengarARengarA Member Posts: 1

Number 1 on this list in another couple of years will be Hell's very own casual game Candy Crush Saga.

Every person I know plays it....it's evil incarnate.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

My top 6 would be

SWG This is my most played game by a mile. I probably had more hrs in wow but a lot of that was very bored and not really addicted...just nothing better to do. SWG was like 2 second jobs...that were fun!

return to castle wolfenstine ( the shooting each other part not the campaign )

world of tanks

world of warcraft

dungeon defenders

city of heroes

That's by number of hours played. I'm not sure I could really pin down which games I lost the most sleep over and they didn't always last the longest.

edit reading peoples lists I can't help but wonder how I ever did anything else in life other than play those games. My list could be 100 long :/

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

Civilization, all versions but V.

City of Heroes (rip)

Morrowind.  Hated Oblivion, Skyrim is okay.

Stalker series, especially heavily modded.

MoO1,2, even 3.

It's going to be a pretty individualized list for all.  Of the OPs list, the Sims was the only one I spent an apreciable amount of time with.  One person's 'addictive' is another's 'ugggh'.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

Galactic Civilizations 2: Best turn based 4X space game ever released. Nothing else even comes close, although its real-time counterpart Sins of a Solar Empire is also quite good.

Civilization: The whole series. It's the historical / terrestrial version of GalCiv2.

Diablo 1-3: Kill, kill, kill, loot, loot, loot. The Diablo series is unequaled when it comes to isometric ARPGs, and the sheer flexibility of D3 makes it the first among equals IMO. While there are plenty of current and forthcoming games which do a good job as well, Blizzard is still the king for the time being.

Borderlands 1-2: It's Diablo in first person, with guns. The amount of loot is simply insane, the gunplay is great, the story is decent, the 'classes' are varied and interesting, and Handsome Jack is quite possibly one of the greatest villains of all time in any form of media. Blizzard needs to take some notes from Gearbox on how to write a great villain.

Privateer: My God, I've never spent so much time in a game doing almost nothing but running non-story missions, trading, and making money than I have in Privateer. It was the first game of it's type, set in a universe established by its more linear predecessors, the excellent Wing Commander series. It's still one of the best open ended space sims out there.

Rogue Legacy: This game caught me completely off guard. It combines many of the best aspects of Castlevania, Diablo, various roguelikes, and even Dark Souls, into an incredibly challenging & difficult platformer. I can't remember the last time I was so frustrated with a game, yet was still compelled to keep playing it. It really is a very well done game, and for $15 I can't recommend it enough.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Football manager
    Europa universalis 3
    Sim city 2000
    Final fantasy 7
    TES
    Everquest
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    1) EQ
    2) EQ2
    3) Tales of Symphonia
    4) Any Capcom fighting game
    5) Mortal Kombat
    6) Skyrim
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek

Galactic Civilizations 2: Best turn based 4X space game ever released. Nothing else even comes close, although its real-time counterpart Sins of a Solar Empire is also quite good.

I didn't really get into it but I also didn't give it a very strong effort either. Seeing as how I agree with everything on your list I guess I'll have to go give this game another try. I was really hoping it would be more but it sounds like I just quit too soon.

• sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

1. Dungeon Master

2. Eye of the Beholder

3. Phantasy Star 2

4. Red Alert + Aftermath Expansion

5. Diablo 2

My top 3 games came from the late 80's early 90's, I could have gone earlier than that too with games like Avalon or Fairlight , games were really fun back then.

I left .6 blank, because even though I have played loads of other games mmo's / arpg / pvp based games / simulations, well none have gripped me like the 1 - 5 did.

On a last note for those that know about games  just take a look at 3 of the games in my list, these 3 games were made by 'Westwood Studios'  these guys and gals sure knew how to make great games (of course they had a couple of turkeys that worked for em too but we wont mention those names).

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

No Space Invaders, no Donkey Kong, no Q*bert...no Joust.

I am disappointed. I know where my quarters were disappearing in the early 80s, not one of those games the op mentioned.

RIP Aladdin's Castle.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Icewhite
    No Space Invaders, no Donkey Kong, no Q*bert...no Joust.I am disappointed. I know where my quarters were disappearing in the early 80s, not one of those games the op mentioned.RIP Aladdin's Castle.
    Do you remember that old arcade game called Carnival? I burned through so many quarters on that one. That stupid bear with the target on its side would walk back n forth faster and faster each time you hit it. I remember as a kid how anxious I got knowing that bear bonus level was coming up.
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Centipede on Atari

Pacman on Atari

LOTRO (first MMORPG and I have well over 3k hours played)

WoW

I cannot really think of any others I was hooked on.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Icewhite

No Space Invaders, no Donkey Kong, no Q*bert...no Joust.

I am disappointed. I know where my quarters were disappearing in the early 80s, not one of those games the op mentioned.

I sunk more quarters into pinball during early 80s -- and Gauntlet w friends

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

In no particular order;

• Tribes Ascend
    • WoW
    • Counter strike 1.6
    • Starcraft 2 multiplayer ladder
    • L4D 2 (steam says I logged over 380 hours in that game WOOT!)
    • Company of heroes

• PolatrayPolatray Member Posts: 5
    Super mario and Tetris forever, when it was available on mobile app I immediately download it and facebook already have an application.. it's really nice
  • MarkuthMarkuth Member UncommonPosts: 13

Heroes of Might and Magic

Civ series

Dungeon Keeper 2

Counter Strike

Starcraft

WoW Burning Crusade

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Everquest for sure

Oblivion

Civilization

Heros of Might and Magic

---
    Ethion

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

for me it was

Warcraft II

Andromeda

Masters of Orion II

Morrowind (or any elderscrolls game as I tend to play them for years)

Neverwinter Nights (not the recently released "mmo" and not the second one)

Lineage 2

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • okubaokuba Member Posts: 2

I'm not sure about all 6 but definitely:

1. Morrowind (I had like 6 characters, every on high level, at some point I did even read books from this game).

2. Sacred (that was first hack n' slash which somehow did persuase me to this genre)

3. Re-volt - best game from childhood. I guess it is not so popular.

http://www.stayinthelight.org/
    List of approaching private servers!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

My 6:

1. Asheron's Call
    2. DAoC
    3. WoW
    4. Shining in the Darkness
    5. The Walking Dead
    6. Skyrim

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Dizzy

Tetris

Bejeweled

pacman

pong

Space invaders

Most simple games were the most addictive.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    triple town

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• DeVoDeVoDeVoDeVo Member UncommonPosts: 106

The only games I absolutely could not stop playing were The Legend of Zelda (NES) and the Wizardry (Sir-Tech) series.