Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Player crafted economy?

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,463Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tierless

Is it?

Just started looking into crafting today and let say its a lot deeper then most MMOs. From gathering to the crafting process. Seems this game really took the time to make crafting more then something to fill time. You can make your char a full time crafter and play just that full time. As for the worth of the crafting goods I dont know. As a person who loves to craft this system looks like a lot of fun =-)

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 

• apocolusterapocoluster newport news, VAPosts: 1,321Member Uncommon
    I crafted in 1.0 a little.  I wonder though if the crafting in 2.0 is still interdependent on multiple disciplines.  I really really hope so :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,555Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    I crafted in 1.0 a little.  I wonder though if the crafting in 2.0 is still interdependent on multiple disciplines.  I really really hope so :)

Yes because having other crafters classes additional skills help

This video is a really good watch. He has a many videos I have enjoyed watching. CLICK HERE!

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Sacramento, CAPosts: 597Member

Is it?

No. Player crafted gear is subpar to drops from dungeons. All people will use crafting for is to make materia.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• RupskulRupskul Washington, DCPosts: 71Member
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire

Is it?

No. Player crafted gear is subpar to drops from dungeons. All people will use crafting for is to make materia.

Basing this on the huge assumption that you've seen all there is from crafting.  If you use FFXI as the example, then you are likely to be extremely wrong. 

At this point there isn't much to crafting - but even in 1.0 the crafted gear was better than dropped gear.  I think that will be the case with launch.

Originally posted by Rupskul

Is it?

Basing this on the huge assumption that you've seen all there is from crafting.  If you use FFXI as the example, then you are likely to be extremely wrong. 

At this point there isn't much to crafting - but even in 1.0 the crafted gear was better than dropped gear.  I think that will be the case with launch.

It isnt the case. As of phase 3, best gear is from dungeon drops.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 dublinPosts: 2,735Member

Is it?

No! The game is a themepark where the best gear is acquired from pve dungeons.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Is it?

Till I see an official post on where they stand with crafting I will not take this as the bible word. Not saying your wrong but seems silly with all the work they have done with making crafting so deep to make crafters wana play and then leaving them hanging as useless as WoW crafters. Is there more to this?

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Is it?

Till I see an official post on where they stand with crafting I will not take this as the bible word. Not saying your wrong but seems silly with all the work they have done with making crafting so deep to make crafters wana play and then leaving them hanging as useless as WoW crafters. Is there more to this?

How about you take the word of thoose playing the game now, the way it will be at launch in a month? The best gear is loot drop from dungeons not crafting.

PS3

Is it?

How about you take the word of thoose playing the game now, the way it will be at launch in a month? The best gear is loot drop from dungeons not crafting.

Because I am seeing conflicting statments on this one and I cant find an official word anywhere I have looked. Point me at one and I will bite. Up till now even the beta players have not seen even 1/2 the game.

• RalstlinRalstlin Las PalmasPosts: 234Member

not totally true, the best Crafter body is HQ Dodore, crafteable. Like all the crafters set with 2 or more slots for CP materia.

And probably some gear with triple materia will be better than some dungeon drops. 

• vandal5627vandal5627 Jersey City, NJPosts: 586Member Uncommon

Is it?

Because I am seeing conflicting statments on this one and I cant find an official word anywhere I have looked. Point me at one and I will bite. Up till now even the beta players have not seen even 1/2 the game.

I wouldnt listen to him, noone really knows how it's going to be, the only thing is based on what Yoshi has said in his interviews stating that he will make crafting very viable, but how viable it is comapared to Raid dungeons is still all speculation.

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Alamogordo, NMPosts: 141Member

Is it?

First of all, do these people realize that you can buy lvl 39 gear from vendors in beta? No dungeons from beta drop lvl 39 gear. So for them to say best gear is from dungeons they are completely wrong.

Secondly these geniuses are assuming that all the level 1-30 crafting recipes have been release for beta. That's just silly.

Truth be told none of them have any idea about the answer to your question. I will tell you what the Producer of the game has said.

Crafted gear will be equal to better than initial drops from dungeons. However once dungeon gear has been improved through crafting and materia it will reign supreme. The devs have made it so that crafting and endgame dungeons will go hand in hand.

Many of the best crafting recipes will drop from dungeons.

• free2playfree2play Toronto, ONPosts: 1,868Member Uncommon

I fully expect the crafting in ARR to end up in the same situation all crafting ends up in with MMO games. If it's worth it, everyone will do it and you will make more just selling mats.

Of course something in ARR that I found to be a bit off is, the LeveQuests now, don't actually require you to make anything. It's possible to buy a level 50. Bring a Silver Sceptre to Moe in this or that alley, get 8K Exper. Where you get the Sceptre? M'eh, whatever. They removed the old system because people were leveling crafting without ever leveling Gathering. I'm not sure the new system is a better option.

As to OP, the econ will be player crafted but econ won't have full control over non crafting players. Relic Armor, PvE reward gear will be on par with all things crafted but they are also BoA so they really don't impact game economy.

• taus01taus01 MunichPosts: 1,352Member

There is nothing that can beat triple melded crafted gear. Dungeon drops and AF/Relic are nice but for the real best gear you need to craft and get just the right Materia. Only a crafter can meld Materia so yes, the economy is based on crafting and gathering.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Houston, TXPosts: 264Member Common
    Originally posted by taus01

There is nothing that can beat triple melded crafted gear. Dungeon drops and AF/Relic are nice but for the real best gear you need to craft and get just the right Materia. Only a crafter can meld Materia so yes, the economy is based on crafting and gathering.

If things stay comparable to the gear strengths in 1.0 then this is generally true.  Darklight armor, dungeon drop, had some of the best pieces but it was so hard to get that the majority of people used double or triple melded gear in most spots.  Multiple melds have been made easier in 2.0 so I expect crafted gear to still be in demand. 

Originally posted by Rupskul

Is it?

It isnt the case. As of phase 3, best gear is from dungeon drops.

I'm not denying that, but it wasn't my point at all.  I'm making a statement based on SE's past behavior when it comes to crafting.  If you believe that the best drops will unequivocally always come from dungeons, I think you will be wrong.  If you just want to get into pissing contests about semantics, go ahead.  I'm not into that.

Regardless, nobody can answer this question right now.  The developers have said that they are limiting what is in the beta.  Ignoring that would be silly.

Originally posted by Arcticnoon

Crafted gear will be equal to better than initial drops from dungeons. However once dungeon gear has been improved through crafting and materia it will reign supreme. The devs have made it so that crafting and endgame dungeons will go hand in hand.

Many of the best crafting recipes will drop from dungeons.

THIS ... Exactly the way FFXI was. 

So, to the OP, ignore the folks that are on here trolling.  The reality is we don't know - but if we believe the developers instead of people that haven't really played the game, I think crafting will be very important.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,784Member Uncommon
    If, six months after launch, this debate continues, not merely about what should be, but about what is, then Square-Enix will have succeeded in balancing gear.
  • twruletwrule Daly City, CAPosts: 1,251Member

Is it?

I'm playing the game right now, and you are demonstrably wrong. In the current beta phase, what you say may be true, however: image

[Edit: Momentarily removed image as I had to check whether it was a breach of the NDA...apparently it is not.]

If the link doesn't work for you: crafting recipes intended to surpass dungeon drops in stats will be added at launch according to the official patch notes on the beta forums.

P.S. The words might be hard to make out if one just clicks the thumbnail - if this is the case for you, I recommend going to my profile and looking at the pic from there in its blown-up version.

• kitaradkitarad RomePosts: 1,745Member Uncommon
    I was wondering whether you can be self sufficient in gathering and crafting . If you play only one job and concentrate on that can you make armor for like a white mage alone with all the gathering and crafting on your own.

Originally posted by kitarad
    I was wondering whether you can be self sufficient in gathering and crafting . If you play only one job and concentrate on that can you make armor for like a white mage alone with all the gathering and crafting on your own.

No, the trades are very interdependent. Each relies on other crafters to make things. But thats good news as this makes a healthy economy. 

• tokinitokini third hut on the leftPosts: 341Member Common

even if the best gear DOES come from dungeons, the in game economy will still be player driven.

selling crafting materials, food, potions etc.   people may choose to fill in a few gear slots with something crafted if they havent gotten the desired item to drop.  some may choose to buy up some crafted gear for a new class they are starting up.

maybe im not getting the question, but what else would the game economy be based on?seemingly 90% of what is on the AH of any game i have played is player gathered/made items (crafting items, i mean), even in games like RIFT where all the best stuff starts getting aquired in dungeons very early (though i havent played that game for a while, so it may have changed).

ideally i would prefer that a set of the 'best gear' must be aquired from multiple sources, a few crafted, a few from dungeons, maybe a world boss drops something nice....

• kitaradkitarad RomePosts: 1,745Member Uncommon

Sorry I was not clear enough I was saying by taking up several crafts and gathering skills but doing so all on one character. I have made like 9 characters in SWToR for every craft and gathering skill and similarly in Vanguard every craft but woodcrafting which made bows. I had every other craft. Also in EQ2 I did this . Can I manage this in FFXIV or is there some barrier from taking every craft and gathering skill on one character ?

Even in Rift I had this every craft . I love doing this it is something I create alts for. Only game I could not manage this was WoW. This was because the recipes were too expensive and I was broke. Many of the other games only required you to invest time not money like Vanguard where you could buy the recipes with sigils and that I had but any game that made me buy expensive recipes to advance from the auction house I could not manage.