Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PVP MMO are flawed.

Comments

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Xssiv

If you look at the current top 10 most populated WoW servers,  8 are PVP servers.   

Tichondrius PvP Normal United States PST 102,975 112,814 0.913 227,483
    Illidan PvP Normal United States CST 13,520 198,096 0.068 212,761
    Area 52 PvE Normal United States EST 24,345 167,746 0.145 197,406
    Darkspear PvP Normal United States MST 140,713 49,850 2.823 194,056
    Stormrage PvE Normal United States EST 173,128 15,034 11.516 189,698
    Kil'Jaeden PvP Normal United States PST 73,205 112,739 0.649 186,763
    Frostmourne PvP Normal Oceanic AEST 110,236 68,107 1.619 178,992
    Bleeding Hollow PvP Normal United States EST 75,716 98,501 0.769 175,492
    Sargeras PvP Normal United States CST 141,527 25,190 5.618 167,430
    Kel'Thuzad PvP Normal United States MST 145,665 20,953 6.952 167,169

That same site seems to contradict you:

If servers are high or low pop is really irrelevant. It's the total amount of players on each server that counts. 

PVE seems to easily win out, somehow you conveniently ignored this pie chart even though it's the first thing that comes up when clicking that site, interesting.

You conveniently found a ranking that ranked PVP servers higher. You also happen to use a top 10 cutoff, while number 11 was a PVE server. If you rank by lowest pop servers, they're all PVP servers too.

You're manipulative.

• XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by Waterlily

If you look at the current top 10 most populated WoW servers,  8 are PVP servers.   

If servers are high or low pop is really irrelevant. It's the total amount of players on each server that counts. 

PVE seems to easily win out, somehow you conveniently ignored this pie chart even though it's the first thing that comes up when clicking that site, interesting.

All that shows is the comparison of total PvE / PvP servers, the real indicator is which servers are the most populated / active.   If you pull the current list  of US realms and sort by population, 8 of the top 10 are PvP servers.

Clearly, PvP servers are in fact quite popular and have proven to be more resilient over the past few years compared to PvE servers.  

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

the real indicator is which servers are the most populated / active

You just happen to find a ranking that suits you.

If I rank by lowest population, look what happens:

All PVP servers. Are you now going to claim PVP servers are the lowest populated?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Waterlily Originally posted by Xssiv If you look at the current top 10 most populated WoW servers,  8 are PVP servers.      Tichondrius PvP Normal United States PST 102,975 112,814 0.913 227,483 Illidan PvP Normal United States CST 13,520 198,096 0.068 212,761 Area 52 PvE Normal United States EST 24,345 167,746 0.145 197,406 Darkspear PvP Normal United States MST 140,713 49,850 2.823 194,056 Stormrage PvE Normal United States EST 173,128 15,034 11.516 189,698 Kil'Jaeden PvP Normal United States PST 73,205 112,739 0.649 186,763 Frostmourne PvP Normal Oceanic AEST 110,236 68,107 1.619 178,992 Bleeding Hollow PvP Normal United States EST 75,716 98,501 0.769 175,492 Sargeras PvP Normal United States CST 141,527 25,190 5.618 167,430 Kel'Thuzad PvP Normal United States MST 145,665 20,953 6.952 167,169  
    That same site seems to contradict you: If servers are high or low pop is really irrelevant. It's the total amount of players on each server that counts.  PVE seems to easily win out, somehow you conveniently ignored this pie chart even though it's the first thing that comes up when clicking that site, interesting.
    All that shows is the comparison of total PvE / PvP servers, the real indicator is which servers are the most populated / active.   If you pull the current list  of US realms and sort by population, 8 of the top 10 are PvP servers.

Clearly, PvP servers are in fact quite popular and have proven to be more resilient over the past few years compared to PvE servers.  

Nope, that's characters. If you mouse over the pie charts, you'll see player counts, not server counts.

There are fewer PvP servers, and keeping the population higher on the servers would make sense since the goal is, after all, PvP. So there are fewer PvP servers, and fewer PvP players, but if you pack them into the servers tighter, you don't have to worry about the population as much and PvP happens on a regular basis.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

You conveniently found a ranking that ranked PVP servers higher. You also happen to use a top 10 cutoff, while number 11 was a PVE server. If you rank by lowest pop servers, they're all PVP servers too.

You're manipulative.

Actually, I stand corrected regarding the pie chart which does have the player totals.    I still believe there is quite a bit to said about the fact that 8 of the 10 most populated servers are PvP servers.    But you won that round for sure.  

the real indicator is which servers are the most populated / active

No, you're manipulative.

You just happen to find a ranking that suits you.

If I rank by lowest population, look what happens:

All PVP servers. Are you now going to claim PVP servers are the lowest populated?

No you won't, because that wouldn't suit your agenda, even though it's true.

I don't think that pulling the top 10 most populated servers is some secret manipulation to push an agenda.    I'm just pointing out that PvP servers are in fact quite popular, contrary to what the OP would have people believe.  

And for the record, there is no agenda that I could possibly benefit from on internet forums, I simply state my opinion based on the information I have just like anyone else. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Actually, I stand corrected regarding the pie chart which does have the player totals.    I still believe there is quite a bit to said about the fact that 8 of the 10 most populated servers are PvP servers.    But you won that round for sure.  

It just said pvpers want to have more players around them, and pve players don't mind spreading out. WoW has 200 servers, the top 10 means very little.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

"I want hardcore always on pvp so I can drink beer and stroke my massive killboard-k/d ratio stiffy!!"

"I want to be a special wallfower which can join any groups I find, make new friends and be the best I can be!"

These two extremes honestly disgust me, no one should be forced to pvp but not one should be forced not to pvp and the simple, eloquent and fair solution is to have future MMOs use EVE's PVP system... if you're pants on head stupid ( and with 4 or 5 wikis, 1 international help channel to ask questions in and multiple national help channels to help non-native speakers you have to be pants on head stupid to die in EVE to another player without you taking the risk to mind first ) you die, if you're smart you live long enough to turn your initial investment into profit (example: my tengus have paid for themselves 30 fold by now, my current exploration venture has already paid for itself by a factor of around 5).

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Cephus404

Or the people who don't give a damn about keeping up with the Jones' and just have our own fun without dick waving to everyone else.

That 'dick waving' as you put it sells an awful lot of copies of games.

Need for Exterior Affirmation sells most of the rest of the boxes.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

PVP MMO is flawed only because its an unorganized gang fights

There is no reason for fighting other than just to fight

Even real life gangs has a reason to fight, and thats territory, revenue streams, and monopoly of drugs and whores in the streets.

Governments fights for power and control of that territory, revenue streams, and monopoly of weapons and resources in that part of the world.

MMO PVP is just to fight to show how uber the person is, that is why its flawed.

Without meaning to the wars and battles, you fight only for personal glory and the U MAD BRO!! and the Camping highs that lasts a couple minutes.

The problem is that you can't put territories and revenue streams and resources in the game to be taken by players. Because there is always a fear that certain group of people will monopolize it with their massive guilds. And then people will quit the game because they can't win against them. Casual players and Hardcore players will experience different playing experiences because Hardcore can player longer, and casual will be left out. Certain game aspects then will become only available to certain players and not all.

MMO are using the the whole no child left behind ideal, where everyone regardless of skill or available time to play will all get to experience the same contents eventually. And with that ideal, there is no guild pride, no reason to be good at something, because eventually you will experience it as well even if you die everytime you move a step. Eventually the dumbest and slowest player will be wearing that same gear that you got fighting against 100 players that one time and walked away alive in that 1 in 100 chance.

PVP MMO will only get fixed when Developers don't have to worry about players leaving their games, and realize that EVE mentality can exist. They just need better rules that allows the beginners eventually build themselves to become an contender against the big guys that came before.

For example: Player guilds 10 ~ 30 players fight against each other for certain resources and territories within Larger territories held by Player guilds 30~60 players, And 30~60 can't fight against 10 ~ 30 , 60 ~ 100 can't fight against 100~150 ....etc

And each larger guild can claim larger territories and those smaller guilds that holds territories inside the larger guilds territories pays them for permits to build buildings. And provide them with securities and so on.

Now that would be a good PVP MMO , instead of the whole fight for nothing but personal glory that leads no where.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

Originally posted by Lucioon

Even real life gangs has a reason to fight, and thats territory, revenue streams, and monopoly of drugs and whores in the streets.

There is reason .. you can win stuff.

And what does real life have to do with games?

Originally posted by nariusseldon

I was only using Real Life as examples to express my point.

And the stuff you win aren't that unique, especially when everyone and their grandmother can get it eventually.

Not saying its bad, its only good for a while, and that while is slowly turning into a few hours to only a few minutes nowaday. Unlike before where that feeling stays for days and weeks.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

PVE MMO and servers are vastly more popular than PVP ones are.

If an open world PVP game is truly PVP, it means that 50% of the playerbase will get the short end of the stick, since they will statistically lose more fights than they will win them. At least part of this playerbase will end up leaving the game, which results in new players now becoming part of that 50% loser pool, which results in even more people leaving. Griefing probably just accelerates this process.

The way PVP works is flawed from the start, it divides the playerbase into losers and winners, which means it can never sustain itself.

Discuss.

The most popular servers in wow are pvp servers.

I was only using Real Life as examples to express my point.

And the stuff you win aren't that unique, especially when everyone and their grandmother can get it eventually.

Not saying its bad, its only good for a while, and that while is slowly turning into a few hours to only a few minutes nowaday. Unlike before where that feeling stays for days and weeks.

No one says anything about unique. Games are not about being unique. It is about having fun. If uniqueness is needed, sometimes an illusion is good enough.

And a few min is an exaggeration .. it is probably at least couple of hours for a fun game. And that is no problem. There are plenty of games, and you can easily move onto the next.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

I think you're confusing highest per server population with most popular server type. 

For example, if you have 3 servers with 5k people each and 40 servers with 1k people each, the former has the highest per server population but the latter is by far more popular. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

I think you're confusing highest per server population with most popular server type. 

For example, if you have 3 servers with 5k people each and 40 servers with 1k people each, the former has the highest per server population but the latter is by far more popular. 

In fact, didn't someone have posted data showing while top servers are pvp, the actual pve population is much larger?

It should be of no surprise. Of course pvp-ers would like more crowded servers (although few of them).

• xerxaxxerxax Member Posts: 5

Governments fights for power and control of that territory, revenue streams, and monopoly of weapons and resources in that part of the world.

MMO PVP is just to fight to show how uber the person is, that is why its flawed.

Without meaning to the wars and battles, you fight only for personal glory and the U MAD BRO!! and the Camping highs that lasts a couple minutes.

The problem is that you can't put territories and revenue streams and resources in the game to be taken by players. Because there is always a fear that certain group of people will monopolize it with their massive guilds. And then people will quit the game because they can't win against them. Casual players and Hardcore players will experience different playing experiences because Hardcore can player longer, and casual will be left out. Certain game aspects then will become only available to certain players and not all.

MMO are using the the whole no child left behind ideal, where everyone regardless of skill or available time to play will all get to experience the same contents eventually. And with that ideal, there is no guild pride, no reason to be good at something, because eventually you will experience it as well even if you die everytime you move a step. Eventually the dumbest and slowest player will be wearing that same gear that you got fighting against 100 players that one time and walked away alive in that 1 in 100 chance.

PVP MMO will only get fixed when Developers don't have to worry about players leaving their games, and realize that EVE mentality can exist. They just need better rules that allows the beginners eventually build themselves to become an contender against the big guys that came before.

For example: Player guilds 10 ~ 30 players fight against each other for certain resources and territories within Larger territories held by Player guilds 30~60 players, And 30~60 can't fight against 10 ~ 30 , 60 ~ 100 can't fight against 100~150 ....etc

And each larger guild can claim larger territories and those smaller guilds that holds territories inside the larger guilds territories pays them for permits to build buildings. And provide them with securities and so on.

Now that would be a good PVP MMO , instead of the whole fight for nothing but personal glory that leads no where.

Yes.  My guess is that few people will have the desire or patience to fully understand this post, but it is spot on.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by xerxax

There is no reason for fighting other than territory, revenue streams, and monopoly of trade and influence, but since I'm completely unfamiliar with the topic, I'll just say these things don't exist in any PVP MMOs.

Governments fights for power and control of that territory, revenue streams, and monopoly of weapons and resources in that part of the world, which is a lot like some PVP MMOs but since I've no knowledge of the subject matter, I wouldn't know that.

When you ignore every other reason to fight, MMO PVP is just to fight to show how uber the person is, that is why its flawed

Without meaning to the wars and battles, you fight only for personal glory and the U MAD BRO!! and the Camping highs that lasts a couple minutes, or at least that is the conclusion I'm drawing after having been emotionally scarred in a PVP MMO.

The problem is that you can't put territories and revenue streams and resources in the game to be taken by players. Because there is always a fear that certain group of people will monopolize it with their massive guilds, which I will confidently state while ignoring the decade long history of EVE and Puzzle Pirates where that has never ever happened. And then people will quit the game because they can't win against them. Casual players and Hardcore players will experience different playing experiences because Hardcore can player longer, and casual will be left out. Certain game aspects then will become only available to certain players and not all, completely unlike PVE endgame where the top raid guilds lovingly embrace casual players. DKP and Gearscore are silly myths.

MMO are using the the whole no child left behind ideal, where everyone regardless of skill or available time to play will all get to experience the same contents eventually. And with that ideal, there is no guild pride, no reason to be good at something, because eventually you will experience it as well even if you die everytime you move a step. Eventually the dumbest and slowest player will be wearing that same gear that you got fighting against 100 players that one time and walked away alive in that 1 in 100 chance. While this is more a commentary on PvE MMOs than PVP MMOs, I'll pretend it has some relevance here.

PVP MMO will only get fixed when Developers don't have to worry about players leaving their games, and realize that EVE mentality can exist, despite the very contradictory nature of the statement I am now making.

For example: Player guilds 10 ~ 30 players fight against each other for certain resources and territories within Larger territories held by Player guilds 30~60 players, And 30~60 can't fight against 10 ~ 30 , 60 ~ 100 can't fight against 100~150 ....etc because I really can't imagine anyone making a guild out of 5  10-30 player guilds just to exploit one of the many massive holes in my idea.

Now that would be a good PVP MMO , instead of the whole fight for nothing but personal glory that leads no where which really doesn't exist as an MMO, but in my head all PVP MMOs are like that.

Yes.  I also don't have any idea how PVP MMOs work.

+1 image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• xerxaxxerxax Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by xerxax

There is no reason for fighting other than territory, revenue streams, and monopoly of trade and influence, but since I'm completely unfamiliar with the topic, I'll just say these things don't exist in any PVP MMOs.

Governments fights for power and control of that territory, revenue streams, and monopoly of weapons and resources in that part of the world, which is a lot like some PVP MMOs but since I've no knowledge of the subject matter, I wouldn't know that.

When you ignore every other reason to fight, MMO PVP is just to fight to show how uber the person is, that is why its flawed

Without meaning to the wars and battles, you fight only for personal glory and the U MAD BRO!! and the Camping highs that lasts a couple minutes, or at least that is the conclusion I'm drawing after having been emotionally scarred in a PVP MMO.

The problem is that you can't put territories and revenue streams and resources in the game to be taken by players. Because there is always a fear that certain group of people will monopolize it with their massive guilds, which I will confidently state while ignoring the decade long history of EVE and Puzzle Pirates where that has never ever happened. And then people will quit the game because they can't win against them. Casual players and Hardcore players will experience different playing experiences because Hardcore can player longer, and casual will be left out. Certain game aspects then will become only available to certain players and not all, completely unlike PVE endgame where the top raid guilds lovingly embrace casual players. DKP and Gearscore are silly myths.

MMO are using the the whole no child left behind ideal, where everyone regardless of skill or available time to play will all get to experience the same contents eventually. And with that ideal, there is no guild pride, no reason to be good at something, because eventually you will experience it as well even if you die everytime you move a step. Eventually the dumbest and slowest player will be wearing that same gear that you got fighting against 100 players that one time and walked away alive in that 1 in 100 chance. While this is more a commentary on PvE MMOs than PVP MMOs, I'll pretend it has some relevance here.

PVP MMO will only get fixed when Developers don't have to worry about players leaving their games, and realize that EVE mentality can exist, despite the very contradictory nature of the statement I am now making.

For example: Player guilds 10 ~ 30 players fight against each other for certain resources and territories within Larger territories held by Player guilds 30~60 players, And 30~60 can't fight against 10 ~ 30 , 60 ~ 100 can't fight against 100~150 ....etc because I really can't imagine anyone making a guild out of 5  10-30 player guilds just to exploit one of the many massive holes in my idea.

Now that would be a good PVP MMO , instead of the whole fight for nothing but personal glory that leads no where which really doesn't exist as an MMO, but in my head all PVP MMOs are like that.

Yes.  I also don't have any idea how PVP MMOs work.

+1 image

This reply, editing my original comment. is actually a microcosm of what is wrong with PVP MMOs!  Thanks for demonstrating it, and  U MAD BRO!

I have played enough PVP to know the fun of killing someone in game, over and over and over again, and forcing them to log out. Farming a quest giver , just because I can. Then sneaking away when they bring friends as I spit insults to their ancesters as I dance around their low level toons in invisibility.

Or going around with my guilds, fighting against the opposing force, farming their corpses and sacking their NPC. Bring destruction on our paths just because We can.

Thats all fun and all, but it only lasts a while, it does get boring when people just log off and play other toons, till we get bored and they come back.

I have also tried FFA PVP, and that gets boring fast when you die too many times.

There are Team PVP in the battlegrounds or what ever they are called in other games, which is all the same.

SWTOR's was one of the most fun I had before cap, GW2 is pretty cool too once you get the hang of it, but its fun only because not only are you rewarded, you are doing your best for your team, you are contributing. When I am out ganking people, its just because I wanted to blow off some steam, or I am just bored.

Fun is relative, It depends on the player, at the current mindset. What the developers must do is create an PVP MMO where players can feel as if they are contributing. GW2 tried and I think it succeeded in some ways.

I am naive in saying that I hope one day to play a game where we aren't all just mass murderers, and that PVP stands for something more than " I see you, I kill you , but only if I am higher level and better geared "

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Loktofeit Originally posted by nerovipus32 The most popular servers in wow are pvp servers.
    I think you're confusing highest per server population with most popular server type.  For example, if you have 3 servers with 5k people each and 40 servers with 1k people each, the former has the highest per server population but the latter is by far more popular. 
    In fact, didn't someone have posted data showing while top servers are pvp, the actual pve population is much larger?

It should be of no surprise. Of course pvp-ers would like more crowded servers (although few of them).

That was me. There are more PvE toons. There is a very close split between the server types. The PvP servers are more populated, but there are fewer of them. PvE is still the more popular option in WoW.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

PVE MMO and servers are vastly more popular than PVP ones are.

If an open world PVP game is truly PVP, it means that 50% of the playerbase will get the short end of the stick, since they will statistically lose more fights than they will win them. At least part of this playerbase will end up leaving the game, which results in new players now becoming part of that 50% loser pool, which results in even more people leaving. Griefing probably just accelerates this process.

The way PVP works is flawed from the start, it divides the playerbase into losers and winners, which means it can never sustain itself.

Discuss.

So does baseball.....still seems to be pretty popular.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Baseball is a game players are paid to play, and which is only popular because people pay to watch it.

Ahem. Are you certain that's the only reason someone might like baseball?

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Video games are games people are the players of, and they pay to play.

See: recreational leagues.

You're trying for a fast dismissal of a motivation-based argument; but as shaky as argument via analogy is, assuming motivations is on even more dangerous ground.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by nerovipus32 The most popular servers in wow are pvp servers.
    I think you're confusing highest per server population with most popular server type.  For example, if you have 3 servers with 5k people each and 40 servers with 1k people each, the former has the highest per server population but the latter is by far more popular. 

That was me. There are more PvE toons. There is a very close split between the server types. The PvP servers are more populated, but there are fewer of them. PvE is still the more popular option in WoW.

Yeah, that is the one. It pretty much debunk the myth that pvp is more popular in WOW.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Tell that to every game with a player base built on competitive multiplayer.