Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR had the best combat of any MMO since WoW.

Comments

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by keithian
    There are so many rude people here.

It's not rude to say that SWTOR sucks, you just perceive it as rude because you personalize it.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by ignore_me

It's not rude to say that SWTOR sucks, you just perceive it as rude because you personalize it.

Doubt he's referring to people saying the game sucks, rather people (lol'ing) the OP for stating an opinion. I'm sure you already knew that though....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Distopia

Doubt he's referring to people saying the game sucks, rather people (lol'ing) the OP for stating an opinion. I'm sure you already knew that though....

Good call, but I wanted to clarify that criticism doesn't need to be a team sport.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt

u srs?? =/

WoW was good because of it's fast ability response, depth in groups and novelty to many. SWTOR was sluggish, shallow and old news.

The best combat IMO is between GW2 and Neverwinter. GW2 would be perfect with aimed attacks and more abilities. Tab-targeting and AoE spam are dead, let's bury them.

GW2 and Neverwinter have worst and most simplistic combat ever seen in mmorpg.  Any of people i know uninstalled both games after few days because of this simplicity. On top of that lack of almost every mmorpg concept in gw2 and useless pvp ruined  desire for this game even for most hardcore gw2 fans , the one that attacked SWTOR all day long for months.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The Combat/AI systems are among the worst i have ever played and the SOLE reason i quit the game.

I found the rest of the game to be not to bad,i even played every class on both good and evil sides just to try and find one class that had some good combat.

I am going to post one example to show what good combat is.This is just one mob a small example.

I FFXI there is a bird called Colibri.

You want a Piercing weapon,preferably a BOW to fight them because the birds are weak to piercing attacks.HUGE difference in combat dmg using bow versus these birds.Then these same birds will steal your food,so if you decide to use food you better not take hate or  the bird will steal it.

I decided to post another example.Crabs in FFXI are strong to melee and have a special ability that increases their defense to melee.SO you  prefer to have a Black Mage so you can nuke it with magic.Also if you can setup a DISTORTION Renkai and Magic burst you will get good added damage on top of that.

This was just two examples,with far more depth than any fight in SWTOR and these were just two ordinary mobs.

There is no action and reaction fighting in SWTOR it is simply hit your hotbar icon dmg until the mob dies.In FFX Ifor example the mob tosses up Stroneskin you might want to cast a spell to remove it or if a mob has a dangerous TP attack you might not want to feed it alot of TP or if a mob uses a strong attack if anyone stands behind it,then you don't want to stand behind it.SO many more ideas than that reside inside the game,that is what is called DEPTH of game design,SWTOR does not have it,especially not in combat.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AbrrahamAbrraham Member Posts: 149

How opinions can differ... :)

FFXIV AAR is the worst combat experience I ever had besides Rift , it feels so slow and I fell asleep very fast :D SW:TOR feels more fluid to me.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Fruxy
    Originally posted by BadOrb

I prefer action combat , PSO and PSU did it very well indeed. I hate tab targeting , hence why I use a 360 controller to play SWTOR. It helps a lot and almost turns the game into an action combat MMO ( almost ).

Cheers,

BadOrb.

How does that work?

I suppose you have a bunch of buttons to map to various hotkeys and such.  I'm curious how this turns SWTOR into an action combat game?  The only thing to change is the input device.  It's still "tab" targeting, although it's now "A-button" targeting, etc, instead of tab.

Not trolling you, I'm curious what you mean (I've never played a computer MMORPG with a console game controller).

You said you hate tab targeting, but how does a new input device change what you hate?

My background, I don't mind tab targeting at all, actually I prefer it, over twitch games.  GW2 was a hybrid, which worked OK for solo strategies I suppose .. but SWTOR is more interesting than GW2, and whatever GW2 had to offer couldn't save it from a bland story, and bland goals.

Can you expand on what you mean with the controller?

I think hate was a bit strong , i just don't use tab at all in SWTOR , I have combos of buttons using xpadder 32 skills for me and 8 for a companion , I also use the right thumb stick for the mouse cursor movement and back and start buttons for left and right mouse buttons. It just makes playing the game more like an action combat game , you could say like a beat 'em up. Granted it gets a little bit hectic in Operations 8 man and 16 man as a healer or tank , but that's cool.

Late reply as I was using the double xp last day to my advantage :)

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• trancefatetrancefate Member UncommonPosts: 146

Wushu combat is so damned easy its a joke. Its not possible for it to be complicated given the paper rock scissors system and slow speed/animations. (former rank 1 crafter and top 5 tangmen before i quit)

I think the best combat systems I have played with on either end of the spectrum were EQ2 and Tera

• TigasnakeTigasnake Member Posts: 33

One of SW:TOR's prized features was the whole orchestrated combat.  Lightsaber 1 swings > lightsaber 2 blocks.  This looks great against mobs during dailies or leveling up.  The sacrifice is the length of the global cooldown to support the animation.

Unfortunately you don't see it much in PvP, since it's all about special abilities and less about autoattack as a filler (the ability that enforces the choreographed combat).  

It is what it is.  Even if you see less of it in PvP, the combat in this game is still very fun.  Now if only there wasn't restrictions on weapon usage. (Still wishing that my Guardian could wield double-bladed lightsaber.)  =(

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by tixylix
    I think WOW is the best MMO ever made.

OP: Fixed that wall of text for ya.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    This has got to be an obvious troll. The OP hasn't cared to participate since his claim lol.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Shrilly
    This has got to be an obvious troll. The OP hasn't cared to participate since his claim lol.

OFC. Every thread that says "wow is better then xxxxxxx" has a 99% probability that it is a troll.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

I forgot I even posted this, I must have been drunk or something as when I get drunk I get all nostalgic about MMOs and how the last one I played that I liked was in 2005. People forget WoW used to be a great MMO, it got a lot right, it was really the first to get so much right, feel so polished and was the first MMO for the mass gamer audience. It's what Blizzard turned it into that people slag off today, they don't remember the good days when it was a challenge and was a great almost seamless world. 

One thing I thought Blizzard got right was the classes and combat, they are still the best today. When the game launched alongside EQ2, all I thought was how bland and all alike EQ2s classes were and how clunky the combat was. You had so many MMOs offer like 40 classes and then WoW offered 8 or 9 (I cannot remember) and less turned out to be more. WoW's classes felt so unique to each other, they also could play so many roles like I loved how a Priest could do damage as well like the Shadow Priest, before that was always a class choice, in WoW it was a spec choice.

SWTOR didn't get the classes right, I think the system was horribly bland and too clear cut on good/evil. I would rather have 8/9 neutral classes and then you choose which side you want to fight for in the game, you'd be able to defect too. However SWTOR got the combat amazingly right (apart from the delay issue) and I just loved how long fights could go on for and how much skill went into it. 

Sadly though I thought 1.2 ruined it and they've gone for a more fast paced option. 

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Shrilly

OFC. Every thread that says "wow is better then xxxxxxx" has a 99% probability that it is a troll.

exactly,,Theres absolutely no way, that wow can have so many players

all the devs know that too,,weve NEVER seen anyone trying to copy wow

Deep story driven mmos,,theyre a dime a dozen,, they practically give them away on every streetcorner

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    you need to try the combat in DCUO if you like action-y combat.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    What is this? I don't even...
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Originally posted by Total_Hunt

u srs?? =/

WoW was good because of it's fast ability response, depth in groups and novelty to many. SWTOR was sluggish, shallow and old news.

The best combat IMO is between GW2 and Neverwinter. GW2 would be perfect with aimed attacks and more abilities. Tab-targeting and AoE spam are dead, let's bury them.

GW2 and Neverwinter have worst and most simplistic combat ever seen in mmorpg.  Any of people i know uninstalled both games after few days because of this simplicity. On top of that lack of almost every mmorpg concept in gw2 and useless pvp ruined  desire for this game even for most hardcore gw2 fans , the one that attacked SWTOR all day long for months.

HAHA.

Funny I think both Neverwinter followed by GW2 as having the best combat in the industry.  Just shows different stokes for different folks.  I loathe tab target skill-less combat that relies on a Random Number Generator to determine +hit and +Defense.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Tigasnake

One of SW:TOR's prized features was the whole orchestrated combat.  Lightsaber 1 swings > lightsaber 2 blocks.  This looks great against mobs during dailies or leveling up.  The sacrifice is the length of the global cooldown to support the animation.

Unfortunately you don't see it much in PvP, since it's all about special abilities and less about autoattack as a filler (the ability that enforces the choreographed combat).  

It is what it is.  Even if you see less of it in PvP, the combat in this game is still very fun.  Now if only there wasn't restrictions on weapon usage. (Still wishing that my Guardian could wield double-bladed lightsaber.)  =(

Choreographed (orchestrated) combat is a huge strength with SWTOR.  It's cool on a 1 vs 1, if you can find an area that allows PVP, with 2 willing participants.  In a warzone setting, this seems natural and looks nice, when there aren't too many others around - otherwise the graphics engine craps out and you get more stutters than gameplay.

It would have been really awesome in a world PVP setting, .. but since this game's engine was so plagued with issues, that even the developers acknowledged at the last GDC (even sponsered again by EA) it was the huge issue during development, SWTOR didn't really gain much traction.

Choreographed combat - Cool concept .. Very poor implementation, EA style.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Huttball was always fun. Wish they had expanded on that more by at least adding in another arena. That would almost make me want to play the game again... Almost..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• GenadiGenadi Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by tixylix

Lets be honest here there hasn't been a good complete MMO since WoW and I'm talking Vanilla...

I often hear people use WoW Vanilla as a benchmark of sorts, obviously didn't play on launch. Game was far from complete and bugs everywhere. Combat was ok if you like clicky auto target kid type stuff I suppose, the open pvp made it fun though not the combat system.

i joined wow at the end of Vanilla, and open PVP was almost dead by then

simply because of the ganksquads

instead of meeting a single enemy of similar level, you would meet 3 enemies , all at 10+ levels more, than you

"get friends, and team up"...we did

but even a full Group of lvl 20+ cant take Down 3 lvl 30+

and having some max level friends guard us , while we level? how user friendly is that?

soon after, i rerolled on a PVE server

so..instead of ganking me, now they can only gank my questgivers

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Yeah SWTOR's lack of responsiveness and non-interruptible animations are awesome. And the TAB TARGETING is super exciting. Bravo! Bravo!

Or that I had to do some kind of ridiculous roll and duck for cover (even if there wasn't any) in order to use half my skills. Fantastic combat.

That you apparently have no idea that the roll mechanism while taking cover can be turned off in the options menu, is pretty ridiculous.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Swtor's combat is actually alright.  It's fast paced with some great animations, which makes it fluid.  Just compare it to FFXIV or Rift's combat, and you'll appreciate it more.
  • FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277
    Originally posted by simplius

i joined wow at the end of Vanilla, and open PVP was almost dead by then

simply because of the ganksquads

instead of meeting a single enemy of similar level, you would meet 3 enemies , all at 10+ levels more, than you

"get friends, and team up"...we did

but even a full Group of lvl 20+ cant take Down 3 lvl 30+

and having some max level friends guard us , while we level? how user friendly is that?

soon after, i rerolled on a PVE server

so..instead of ganking me, now they can only gank my questgivers

Actually I liked Wow vanilla exactly because a bunch of low levels COULD engage and take out a few higher/high levels.  That ended with the first expansion and the max level raid/wz gear sets but I remember lots of fights in Redridge and Duskwood and some in Southshore where the high levels in their blues and rare purples got stomped hard by lower, even much lower level defenders.  Bear in mind things like sap and sheep lasted 30 seconds + in those days (which was dumb) and was undefendable (also dumb) so level 10s could take max levels out of a fight for a long time if they knew what they were doing.  And the warzone junkies and hardcore raiders were much more rare or nonexistant.  Even long after the warzones were introduced I remember explaining to groups of people how the pvp trinket worked (on a pvp server).  Most players were much less informed than the average player is now; the average player in those days (many of us) did not notice all of the flaws that we call horribly daft gamebreaking oversights nowadays.  That's just how it is.

a bunch vs. a few,,is that balanced PVP?

yes, you could get a few kills in those battles, but that stopped, when they FIXED THE GAME

and it didnt exactly help the lonely leveller, when meeting a ganksquad in the levelling process, did it?

the essence of your post is: i liked PVP, when it was broken, and against newbie opponents

This discussion has been closed.