Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Difficult vs Punishing:Extra Credits Take On This

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I am a fan of the Penny Arcade / YouTube gaming series Extra Credits. This week's show covered Difficult vs Punishing. If you have about 8 minutes, take a peek.

Difficult vs Punishing

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

For the most part, I agree with that perspective, but it's most relevent to action/puzzle games.

I think that it glosses over the role of strategy-game elements.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I agree, maplestone. It does seem to cover single player games more in depth, but I think it can be applied to all these "perma-Death" threads that have popped up lately and general discussion about MMOs becoming "easier."

Maybe some of the extreme examples can be cut down :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Perma-death can still be made difficult but not punishing. All it needs is enough tools to avoid death and not a lot of replaying the same content if you did die.