Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Do you prefer Steam Punk etc. or High Fantasy?

Comments

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

I just can't stand mis-mash like most of current MMORPGs try to mix high fantasy with (pseudo) steampunk or sc-fi or modern stuff / pop-culture references and so on.

I am tired of lack of coherency and that's is one of reasons I don't play MMORPGs anymore.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Im with you guys.

Looking forward to new CDProject steampunk game in development.

Its a cyber-punk game not steam. Its called Cyberpunk 2077 lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y9711pvZkc

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    This is an interesting question, but it's an irrelevant question because whatever game uses 3D / Oculus Rift will be the most popular, regardless of genre.
  • BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220
    I am so bored of high fantasy.  I didn't like it much ten years ago, but enough is enough; there are other genres out there! 
  • jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by jesad
    Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Not sure which to vote for. Need some clearing up. Is Rift,WoW,GW2 considered Steampunk or High Fantasy in this poll?

I would consider all three of those pure High Fantasy. Rift's Defiant faction is more Cyberpunk with the time traveling and the use of electricity over steam. WoW does have some Steampunk elements, though as I pointed out in my first post it's taken to a ridiculous level and is far from being the focus of the game.

True story, the first time I ever tried out wow and found out that there was a guy with a rifle in the game, that was it.  I lost my buzz.  It had been all I could do to stomach the clockworks in EQ all those years.  I think there is a little steampunk usage in all high fantasy.  Even the Clash of the Titans had that little owl in it.  I've hated it all though, every single bit, except for James GD West :) (The original, or fresh prince version, IDC)

But Warcraft RTS, as well as Warhammer IP, both which predates WoW, had those same elements.

Even though I have played my share of Warcraft and Warhammer (the latter even in tabletop mode), I always thought that Ages of Empires was a better utilization of the former mechanic, and Heroes of Might and Magic a better utilization of the latter (even though Warhammer is way more massive).  I think, honestly, it's because Steampunk uses a somewhat modern technology to simulate magic while magic does just fine simulating magic.  In my mind, if we are going to use modern technology, even made up modern technology, then it should be used in a somewhat modern setting.  It's just me, and I am only one opinion.  But that's how I feel.

But then again I am one of those people who never really cared for all the pointy devilish looking armors that seem to be the norm these days either.  I guess I am just old fashioned in that way, but it all seems just way too gimmicky to me when wearing leather and/or plain old field plate armor are still so far from anything we are doing in real life that being able to do it in a game still constitutes high fantasy.

Here comes the plug again, and I apologize.  But Age of Wushu uses traditional real life clothing, traditional real life weapons, and traditional real life characters, and the simple imposition of the ability to perform incredible martial arts moves still makes it a genuinely satisfying fantasy genre.  Suddenly, and for what reason I could not tell you, they came out with this ferret looking thing that they are going to let you purchase as a pet.

Dumb.  Gimmicky.  See what I mean?

Some things just don't fit.  But again, it's just me.  The same things I am saying here are counterproductive to ideas that have made some developers a whole grip of cash.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    The over done High Fantasy is the exact reason why The Order 1886 for PS4 looks so interesting.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by tkreep
    "a sufficiently amount of technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arthur C. Clarke

The quote is:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

IMHO the technology in Steampunk (and Cyberpunk) is bogus and not sufficiently advanced to be considered more than mundane.

I find it strange that when it comes to single player games developers usually go for sci-fi/cyberpunk or near future/modern type themes or even the real world from actual history like assassins creed.  But when it comes to majority of mmo developers they cant seem to get out of the fantasy box.  Is it because they are lazy and its simpler to make a story and world out of a fantasy settings because nothing really have to make sense and doesnt have to give a thoughtful explanation to how magic and stuff works?

Because in gaming in general I found that the sci-fi and near future theme games has the most complex stories like Xenogears, Metal Gear, Mass Effect, and Parasite Eve 

Originally posted by craftseeker
    "a sufficiently amount of technology is indistinguishable from magic" Arthur C. Clarke

The quote is:

IMHO the technology in Steampunk (and Cyberpunk) is bogus and not sufficiently advanced to be considered more than mundane.

Go back to the middle ages and light up a lighter, they will burn you for witchcraft.

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220

The quote is:

And its only indistinguishable if you don't understand (even on a basic level) how it works.  Being part of a world with that technology would mean that it was just technology and bore no resemblance to magic.  Now if the game involved cavemen magically time-travelling to the present day... 

Originally posted by BrucyBonus

The quote is:

And its only indistinguishable if you don't understand (even on a basic level) how it works.  Being part of a world with that technology would mean that it was just technology and bore no resemblance to magic.  Now if the game involved cavemen magically time-travelling to the present day... 

Maybe Jesus was an alien trying to save the world and give humans a second chance before his race put us into extinction for being savages for so long.  And people thought he did magic when he was only using some sort of advanced alien tech to revive people like in Star Trek.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I never really preferred one over the other. But I do like it when a game has a strong sense of its own style. GW2 has that oil on canvas look. WoW has its comic book look and eve has it's dark colours and feel. Even skyrim had its own look and feel something that I feel oblivion lacked a bit.
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    The over done High Fantasy is the exact reason why The Order 1886 for PS4 looks so interesting.

Popped over and checked it out, and yeah, that's more like what I am talking about.  I would look at this game.  But answer this?  Why are those people willing to go out and fight such big crazy scary looking beasts with little to no real protective armor on?

I mean really, it's just a drawing right?  And yet the creative team that made that trailer opted to put them in their dress garb.

Meanwhile I was at the Metropolitan Museum of Art only a few months back and saw a complete, traditional looking suit of plate armor that was used by the "riflemen" of some 19th century french soldiers.

http://www.metmuseum.org/en/about-the-museum/museum-departments/curatorial-departments/arms-and-armor

Of course the answer is because using a high tech steampunky weapon while wearing some flashy looking dress red looks way cooler.  But no one actually went to war in this stuff because they wanted to.  They went to war in it because they were not smart enough to know better.  The moment they figured it out they moved towards body armor.  And I would think that a well thought out genre would suppose this same thing, instead of going for the aesthetic.  But no, the creators of this particular  steampunk genre wants you to think that these people went all the way to developing flying machines, steam powered lazers, and all manner of other stuff without ever considering how to protect themselves from it.

Just an example of what I mean by gimmicky.

Popped over and checked it out, and yeah, that's more like what I am talking about.  I would look at this game.  But answer this?  Why are those people willing to go out and fight such big crazy scary looking beasts with little to no real protective armor on?

I mean really, it's just a drawing right?  And yet the creative team that made that trailer opted to put them in their dress garb.

Meanwhile I was at the Metropolitan Museum of Art only a few months back and saw a complete, traditional looking suit of plate armor that was used by the "riflemen" of some 19th century french soldiers.

http://www.metmuseum.org/en/about-the-museum/museum-departments/curatorial-departments/arms-and-armor

Of course the answer is because using a high tech steampunky weapon while wearing some flashy looking dress red looks way cooler.  But no one actually went to war in this stuff because they wanted to.  They went to war in it because they were not smart enough to know better.  The moment they figured it out they moved towards body armor.  And I would think that a well thought out genre would suppose this same thing, instead of going for the aesthetic.  But no, the creators of this particular  steampunk genre wants you to think that these people went all the way to developing flying machines, steam powered lazers, and all manner of other stuff without ever considering how to protect themselves from it.

Revolutionary war and Civil War

The quote is:

Maybe Jesus was an alien trying to save the world and give humans a second chance before his race put us into extinction for being savages for so long.  And people thought he did magic when he was only using some sort of advanced alien tech to revive people like in Star Trek.

Off topic, but I wrote that story out once LOL.  Only Jesus was a time traveller attempting to change history because his own world was incredibly messed up.  Someone steals that you know they stole it from us. hehe.

• araninaranin Member UncommonPosts: 23

if i had to choose, high fantasy.

but honestly for me its low fantasy bit of magic here and there, medieval setting with true sandbox mechanics, yes this means pvp with consequences, item loss, death penalty etc.

games with meaning.

The quote is:

Off topic, but I wrote that story out once LOL.  Only Jesus was a time traveller attempting to change history because his own world was incredibly messed up.  Someone steals that you know they stole it from us. hehe.

You should watch the movie The Day the Earth Stood Still, even in that movie he references Jesus in hint saying this wasnt the first time one of my kind came to earth.

"Being mercenaries, they were unequipped for siege-type battles; having neither the equipment nor the patience for such a campaign."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabian_strategy

"The most noted use of Fabian strategy in American history was by George Washington, sometimes called the "American Fabius" for his use of the strategy during the first year of the American Revolutionary War."

The "Order" does not imply mercenaries.  Although I could be wrong having never actually seeing the game.

"Being mercenaries, they were unequipped for siege-type battles; having neither the equipment nor the patience for such a campaign."

The British were actual soldiers and they didnt wear any armor either in the revolutionary war, nor did the french

Even when america was teaching Japan western warfare the soldiers werent wearing armor like samurais did.

The British were actual soldiers and they didnt wear any armor either in the revolutionary war, nor did the french

You are incorrect but that is way off of the point I was trying to make anyway.  The British and American Armies were using tactics against tactics, as I have demonstrated with my links.  They were not using Steampunk weapons against zombies, a situation where I believe that if the armor existed, which I have established it did with my MET link, it would have been used.

When I get off work I will link you up a picture of the stuff.  You will see, it is impressive all on it's own without relying on gimmickry.

You are incorrect but that is way off of the point I was trying to make anyway.  The British and American Armies were using tactics against tactics, as I have demonstrated with my links.  They were not using Steampunk weapons against zombies, a situation where I believe that if the armor existed, which I have established it did with my MET link, it would have been used.

What kind of tactic is to stand right in front of a row of enemy fire without armor? 

And maybe those steampunk guys were a special unit of gorilla fighters like modern day navy seals since they were just a few and not a whole battalion or platoon...i wouldnt wear heavy clunky armor that makes noise and slow me down if i go fight supernatural monsters especially considering zombies are attracted to noise like in most zombie movies and shows.

Woot! Found it!!

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/27.177.1,2

This is from the 1600's.  Pistol troops.  Later iterations to come.  Look at the work on that stuff though.  That's some beautiful work.

Real guns in the meantime, and I will stop derailing for now.  Sorry.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/works-of-art/42.50.8