Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not convinced this is going to be a good game

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by azzamasin

I just get this feeling every day that goes by this game will be "just another" MMO in a long line of "just another" MMO's.  I am really starting to get this whole SWTOR vibe with everything that is going on. 

The dev's have repeatedly commented on making it an Elder Scrolls game first and foremost but yet none of the truly TES style game design elements have been showcased. 

It doesn't look like "just another mmo" Character customization looks like it might be good. Cyrodill is the key. If it's great the game might be pretty good. 

We'll see.

I've never known a player to stick around because of character customization alone.  And the PvP is only good for one type of gamer, sadly I am not that type.  What is missing is elements that made me play Asheron's Call for close to 14 years. 

I've played Rift, GW2, TSW and now Neverwinter since I quit WoW and even though all of the games have fun aspects, none of them has the depth that made me want to stick around past a few months.  Sadly I do not see anything in TESO that will break the mold.  Hopefully EQNext brings elements into the genre that stick around but more importantly keep the players sticking around.

I like many of the elements of TESO, including the Skill tree system, the open ended armor/weapon system, public dungeons, Action Combat and limited hotbar deck building system but sadly I do not see that keeping me in game for longer then when the novelty wears off.  If you're into PvP, sure the game looks great and I am probably going to have to get my PvP grove back on if I want to enjoy TESO for longer then 2-3 months.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

Everyone keeps saying they will lose interest after 2 - 3 months. However, if I remember correctly, it takes over 200 hours to complete all the quests in a single faction, and then you can do quests for the other factions after level 40 I think. 

Now assuming you played 5 days a week you would need to play and only quest each of those days about 3 1/2 hours to complete with in 3 months. For a lot of you, I will most certainly say that is possible and probably fairly easy to achieve. 

If we start talking about completing the other 2 factions, then you are looking at having to quest 10 1/2 hours each day, 5 days a week. Or you can spread that out to a 9 month period and keep the 3 1/2 hours instead.

With this said, unless you get bored easily, I conclude if you some how exhaust everything in this game with in 3 months, you play to much lol.

In all honesty, if it is even remotely anything like Syyrim, I will enjoy it tons. I will probably even do a Let's Play of it.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989

It has TES lore and... scratch that. I think even the lore has been twisted for this game.

I'd be interested in hearing more about that.  Morrowind was the first first-person CRPG I played, and I really loved it (especially the lore).  Learning all about the Dwemer, the Dunmer, the different Houses, the old burial sites... it was just... epic.

Is this even set in the same universe?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Phaserlight

It has TES lore and... scratch that. I think even the lore has been twisted for this game.

I'd be interested in hearing more about that.  Morrowind was the first first-person CRPG I played, and I really loved it (especially the lore).  Learning all about the Dwemer, the Dunmer, the different Houses, the old burial sites... it was just... epic.

Is this even set in the same universe?

Yes, ESO is set in the same universe. As for the lore being twisted as Mtibbs1989 said? NO ... well not likely. Apparently from what they have said, they are going back and fourth between Bethesda to make sure all the lore works. So, at most the lore can only be slightly off and probably would be highly unnoticeable to most other than hardcore fans, but if that happens Bethesda is at fault as well.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I just get this feeling every day that goes by this game will be "just another" MMO in a long line of "just another" MMO's.  I am really starting to get this whole SWTOR vibe with everything that is going on. 

The dev's have repeatedly commented on making it an Elder Scrolls game first and foremost but yet none of the truly TES style game design elements have been showcased. 

It doesn't look like "just another mmo" Character customization looks like it might be good. Cyrodill is the key. If it's great the game might be pretty good. 

We'll see.

I've never known a player to stick around because of character customization alone.  And the PvP is only good for one type of gamer, sadly I am not that type.  What is missing is elements that made me play Asheron's Call for close to 14 years. 

I've played Rift, GW2, TSW and now Neverwinter since I quit WoW and even though all of the games have fun aspects, none of them has the depth that made me want to stick around past a few months.  Sadly I do not see anything in TESO that will break the mold.  Hopefully EQNext brings elements into the genre that stick around but more importantly keep the players sticking around.

I like many of the elements of TESO, including the Skill tree system, the open ended armor/weapon system, public dungeons, Action Combat and limited hotbar deck building system but sadly I do not see that keeping me in game for longer then when the novelty wears off.  If you're into PvP, sure the game looks great and I am probably going to have to get my PvP grove back on if I want to enjoy TESO for longer then 2-3 months.

imageyeah I know but.... We 're on the same page.

Cyrodill has to break the mold. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

We'll see.

imageyeah I know but.... We 're on the same page.

Cyrodill has to break the mold. 

Cross our fingers it doesn't end up like Guild Wars 2 WvW.

or Ilum.... It can't feel like and "Eternal Battle Ground."

It has to be a complete world. it has to be more than we expect. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    Game is moving closer to WoW and away from the ES feel. Losing my enchantment with the game, unfortunately. Guess I'll jump on the EQN hype wagon.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

Ya know I normally wouldn't bump a negative short sighted thread like this, but:

I visited my neighbors last night and well they were playing Skyrim together. Gaming is something that brings them together as they got a big HDTV and  PS3. I remember before Skyrim visiting with a different couple a couple of years back they were playing Oblivion together and were having a good time with it. My son and I both played Oblivion and Skyrim; this is saying alot as I cannot hardly play single player games as I prefer MMOs. To this day my son says his favorites games are Oblivion and Skyrim and he is so looking forward to Elder Scrolls Online, as am I. Now consider both Oblivion and Skyrim are both Elder Scrolls games and single player games which have alot of replayability (This says alot for any single player game!).

Elder Scrolls Online is going to have a bigger world then Daggerfall/Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim all put together as its going to display the entirety of Tamriel and its going to have 3 different alliances (comprised of 9 races total) so you can play and enjoy all 3 alliances content thoroughly for 100s of hours doing alot of what many previously enjoyed playing Elder Scrolls games in the past, yet within a community of many other real life players. Crafting, Trading, Partying/Socializing, Exploring/Adventuring, Duels, Buying/Selling, Guilds, etc...enjoying everything you would in any other Elder Scrolls game yet with 100s of other players simultaneously interacting in a huge medieval themepark.

Elder Scrolls online will be played on PC/Mac, Xbox One, and Playstation 4 (Next Generation Consoles) with all the graphical goodness of Skyrim at highest settings (if not better) operating at optimum performance on your HDTV.

If that doesn't grab you where it counts and kick you where the good lord split you; You can venture to Cryodiil with all your buddies you enjoy playing with and alongside to participate in every aspect of PvP; keeps, towns, buildings, NPCs/MOBs, siege warfare on all types of terrain in some of the largest scale PvP many of you will ever experience for countless hours. Your alliance can overcome the other 2 alliances (which I doubt will be an easy task) over time, which provides bonuses for your alliance teammates with the capturing of keeps/lands. If by some slim margin your alliance is properly motivated and successful in dominating the other 2 alliances (again I don't see this happening easily)  and aquiring/holding all lands/keeps in Cryodiil, you can sit one of your own on the Ruby Throne as Emperor and have supremecy over all of Tamriel!

If you are not convinced this has chance to be a good game then I irrefutably doubt you, your expeience with playing any of the Elder Scrolls games, your experience as a MMORPG player, and any of your opinions/posts from this point forward...

Consider wtf your posting, before you post a thread of any kind on a public forum, often comprising 1000s of visitors daily...

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by Kuanshu

Ya know I normally wouldn't bump a negative short sighted thread like this, but:

I visited my neighbors last night and well they were playing Skyrim together. Gaming is something that brings them together as they got a big HDTV and  PS3. I remember before Skyrim visiting with a different couple a couple of years back they were playing Oblivion together and were having a good time with it. My son and I both played Oblivion and Skyrim; this is saying alot as I cannot hardly play single player games as I prefer MMOs. To this day my son says his favorites games are Oblivion and Skyrim and he is so looking forward to Elder Scrolls Online, as am I. Now consider both Oblivion and Skyrim are both Elder Scrolls games and single player games which have alot of replayability (This says alot for any single player game!).

Elder Scrolls Online is going to have a bigger world then Daggerfall/Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim all put together as its going to display the entirety of Tamriel and its going to have 3 different alliances (comprised of 9 races total) so you can play and enjoy all 3 alliances content thoroughly for 100s of hours doing alot of what many previously enjoyed playing Elder Scrolls games in the past, yet within a community of many other real life players. Crafting, Trading, Partying/Socializing, Exploring/Adventuring, Duels, Buying/Selling, Guilds, etc...enjoying everything you would in any other Elder Scrolls game yet with 100s of other players simultaneously interacting in a huge medieval themepark.

Elder Scrolls online will be played on PC/Mac, Xbox One, and Playstation 4 (Next Generation Consoles) with all the graphical goodness of Skyrim at highest settings (if not better) operating at optimum performance on your HDTV.

If that doesn't grab you where it counts and kick you where the good lord split you; You can venture to Cryodiil with all your buddies you enjoy playing with and alongside to participate in every aspect of PvP; keeps, towns, buildings, NPCs/MOBs, siege warfare on all types of terrain in some of the largest scale PvP many of you will ever experience for countless hours. Your alliance can overcome the other 2 alliances (which I doubt will be an easy task) over time, which provides bonuses for your alliance teammates with the capturing of keeps/lands. If by some slim margin your alliance is properly motivated and successful in dominating the other 2 alliances (again I don't see this happening easily)  and aquiring/holding all lands/keeps in Cryodiil, you can sit one of your own on the Ruby Throne as Emperor and have supremecy over all of Tamriel!

If you are not convinced this has chance to be a good game then I irrefutably doubt you, your expeience with playing any of the Elder Scrolls games, your experience as a MMORPG player, and any of your opinions/posts from this point forward...

Consider wtf your posting, before you post a thread of any kind on a public forum, often comprising 1000s of visitors daily...

You never actually played Daggerfalll did you. Running from one end of Morrowind to the other is probably an hour, maybe an hour and a half. Oblivion is under an hour. Skyrim about the same I think. Daggerfall is so huge it would take many many hours to do that. It is that big. ESO will be far smaller than you will imagine, regarless of how many area will be put ingame.

As for graphics, maybe if compared to console graphics, but it will not look as good as topline PC graphics. This is just being realistic. 

I won't buy it anyway as it gutted everything I liked from TES. 

Originally posted by Connmacart

You never actually played Daggerfalll did you. Running from one end of Morrowind to the other is probably an hour, maybe an hour and a half. Oblivion is under an hour. Skyrim about the same I think. Daggerfall is so huge it would take many many hours to do that. It is that big. ESO will be far smaller than you will imagine, regarless of how many area will be put ingame.

As for graphics, maybe if compared to console graphics, but it will not look as good as topline PC graphics. This is just being realistic. 

I won't buy it anyway as it gutted everything I liked from TES. 

Uh 1996 Daggerfall was released...gee I wonder why it took many hours...hrmm let me ponder that for a bit...go freakin figure as everything was so slow technologically it would take you forever to go anywhere

Your saying ESO is going to be far smaller then I would imagine....your speaking as if you have played the game in its entirety and your in the same boat as the rest of us without any idea whatsoever. Considering how large Tamriel is I would ascertain your sadly mistaken as it will be bigger then Daggerfall/Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim put together...prove me otherwise or don't even reply.

Next Generation Consoles own the current generation consoles so when your playing your console...take some time to imagine and you may have some idea its pretty much on par with really good PCs at this time. Also who wants to have to design top of the line PCs to play a MMORPG and have to be constantly concerned if they are going to be able to run the game well enough?

Why even bother to post on this forum if your not interested in buying this game whatsoever?

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

That's probably because the whole "elder scrolls game first" mantra is a recent development.

If you look at what they initially said it was more about creating an mmo that utilized the elder scrolls universe and would draw in mmo players.

yadda, yadda, yadda, my guess is that they got a lot of elder scrolls fans in the beta who really didnt' like this tack.

The developers suddenly realized that in essence they were playing with fire so decided to extend the development time and add a lot of those elements.

At least those that would make sense in an mmo format.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159

Why even bother to post on this forum if your not interested in buying this game whatsoever?

I think this game is going to be almost as big of a wreck as SWTOR was. Maybe even bigger.

Kuanshu...your post is full of assumptions that nobody knows for sure yet. Dont ever make the mistake of believing anything a "developer" says or a game reviewer either for that matter.

I hope it turns out great, but we already know, the combat is different, it wasnt designed with first person view, but instead a OTS camera, hotbars, and tab targetting. That....is not an Elder Scrolls game as most people perceive them.

But people are thinking this game is going to be Skyrim 2.0 ....exactly the way that people just knew that SWTOR was going to be KOTOR 3,4,5,6....partially because ...a developer said as much in an interview.

The parts of ES games that make them so unique and fun... will definately be lost in a large playerbase game translation.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Comaf
    ESO:  3 realms that are uniquely different.  This means that you actually pvp against races and classes that are not mirrors of your own.
    Wrong answer. Every faction has the EXACT same 4 classes to choose from.

Compared the "the usual" MMO fare these days, TES:O looks to be quite different in some aspects.

Compared to TES, this game falls very short in many aspects of the original series, even Skyrim.

I had to laugh at the poster who said "It has M'aiq The Liar!" As if he is the heart and soul of TES. I play Morrowind and Skyrim just to see M'aiq! I always search high and lo to find him and get his quests. Oh wait... he doesn't DO anything but quip about player complaints. If that qualifies as a standard of the Elder Scrolls universe, I am certainly missing out on something here.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i think it will be a good game, will it be a good mmo? that is the question.

i do think it will be sort of like SWTOR and feel more like a single player game with mmo elements.

actually, i am quite confident that is exactly how it will be. they can still do things better than SWTOR did of course, the pvp sounds far better IMO, for example.

also, they are designing the game to allow hundreds of players on the screen at one time so it sounds like TESO will be better in that regard as well.

this is really the only themepark style game i am looking forward to right now, the rest are pretty shitty or not my taste.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Sovrath

That's probably because the whole "elder scrolls game first" mantra is a recent development.

If you look at what they initially said it was more about creating an mmo that utilized the elder scrolls universe and would draw in mmo players.

yadda, yadda, yadda, my guess is that they got a lot of elder scrolls fans in the beta who really didnt' like this tack.

The developers suddenly realized that in essence they were playing with fire so decided to extend the development time and add a lot of those elements.

At least those that would make sense in an mmo format.

Oh definitely I remember when they first unveiled the game and footage was leaked. Major tab targeting 3rd person let down.

whoa, whoa, whoa...

that footage is very much taken out of context however, there are some things that people need to realize.

This game is like gw2 in that you don't have to tab target as you automatically "tab target" what you are facing.

This doesn't mean that you arent' going to hit what's in front of you but for the most part, unless they do a complete remake (I doubt it) it's not going to be somethng like Tera.

Anybody who thinks that leaked footage was a good depiction of the game is really just buying into "anti-hype".

That player didn't use his ability, didn't block, didn't do anything but use the main attack. And yet players (no surprise here) buy into the first thing they see. It's like those players who come to a site and ask if a game is good and 3 people respond first and say "yes" or "no" and the op just allows them to sway his decision, no reasons or anything. Just that 3 people  said something so it must be true.

This is not to say the game is going to be great but that leaked footage was just footage of someone dicking around.

Now, if you didnt' like that he accepted a quest and that quest was similiar to Oblivion or skyrim when talking to an npc then nothing can be done about that. That's the game.

This is not a sandbox game and depending on what they do with added dungeons we will see if it's closer to an elder scrolls game where you head out and discover adventure or just head out and find quest givers.

Big difference there.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by Ziegler

I think this game is going to be almost as big of a wreck as SWTOR was. Maybe even bigger.

Kuanshu...your post is full of assumptions that nobody knows for sure yet. Dont ever make the mistake of believing anything a "developer" says or a game reviewer either for that matter.

I hope it turns out great, but we already know, the combat is different, it wasnt designed with first person view, but instead a OTS camera, hotbars, and tab targetting. That....is not an Elder Scrolls game as most people perceive them.

But people are thinking this game is going to be Skyrim 2.0 ....exactly the way that people just knew that SWTOR was going to be KOTOR 3,4,5,6....partially because ...a developer said as much in an interview.

The parts of ES games that make them so unique and fun... will definately be lost in a large playerbase game translation.

So you rmaking assumptions out of my assumptions....isn't that a peach, LOL

Its been stated first and third person views will be a part of the game as will real time combat much like it is currently in Skyrim.

Glad im not a sci fi fantasy fan as I didn't play SWTOR. SOE sure had alot of hype for that game.

One mistake I don't make that I see all too often is posting on forums for a game I say I have no interest in buying or playing whatsoever. Can ya'll take a moment and consider what I just said. It makes absolutely no sense to come here with a bunch of negativity, being critical, skeptical, etc... if your not vested in any way whatsoever in how the game turns out as you have already made up your mind and repeatedly communicate how  your not interested in buying or playing the game.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    With the debacle of some of the games to come out in the last few years and many of our expectations failing to be met, a wait and see approach is a good approach.  However, I am not going to criticize or make assumptions until I see and play a game for myself.  I have learned being cautiously optimistic is a better approach for me.  This also allows to be pleasantly surprised by some games, Path of the Exile is an example for me.   
    Originally posted by Brabbit1987

Everyone keeps saying they will lose interest after 2 - 3 months. However, if I remember correctly, it takes over 200 hours to complete all the quests in a single faction, and then you can do quests for the other factions after level 40 I think. 

Now assuming you played 5 days a week you would need to play and only quest each of those days about 3 1/2 hours to complete with in 3 months. For a lot of you, I will most certainly say that is possible and probably fairly easy to achieve. 

If we start talking about completing the other 2 factions, then you are looking at having to quest 10 1/2 hours each day, 5 days a week. Or you can spread that out to a 9 month period and keep the 3 1/2 hours instead.

With this said, unless you get bored easily, I conclude if you some how exhaust everything in this game with in 3 months, you play to much lol.

In all honesty, if it is even remotely anything like Syyrim, I will enjoy it tons. I will probably even do a Let's Play of it.

That 200 hours is for people who suck at games.  I would not be surprised for someone like me this humber would fall down to 120 to 140 hours.  (the average WoW leveling spped to reach cap)  That means by my guesstimate, within 3 months I'll have hit the cap, done another factions zone or 2 and gotten bored of what little there is to accomplish past the norm.  2-3 months, the newness wears off and the only thing to keep you playing is the systems in place to support longevity and TESO has none of those.

Its basically another MMO with a twist.  That twist like GW2's Twist, like Rift's Twist and like SWTOR's twist is not good enough or in-depth enough to keep retention of their base, let alone grow it.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• Reza82Reza82 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I`m looking forward to the twisting, can`t wait to play this game. Going to enjoy it thoroughly,  whether its two months or two years.. its going to be good and its going to be fun
    Originally posted by Ziegler

So you rmaking assumptions out of my assumptions....isn't that a peach, LOL

Its been stated first and third person views will be a part of the game as will real time combat much like it is currently in Skyrim.

Glad im not a sci fi fantasy fan as I didn't play SWTOR. SOE sure had alot of hype for that game.

One mistake I don't make that I see all too often is posting on forums for a game I say I have no interest in buying or playing whatsoever. Can ya'll take a moment and consider what I just said. It makes absolutely no sense to come here with a bunch of negativity, being critical, skeptical, etc... if your not vested in any way whatsoever in how the game turns out as you have already made up your mind and repeatedly communicate how  your not interested in buying or playing the game.

Well my hopes is that enough negativity gets passed up the chain to the eyes and ears of the developers that they are forced to capitulate to growing negativity toward their game and change it for the better.  It worked for the First Person lovers, it worked for the Faction lock haters so why wont it work for the endgame enthusiasts?

That is my ultimate goal, to get the game turned into something that will keep me playing for longer then a few months and PvP is not the way to do it.  No matter how good it is.  While I applaud the developers for implementing the best PvP system in the game, the point remains, PvP is a niche in the genre and in order to build upon a lasting legacy strong social PvE elements need to be instilled.